PDA

View Full Version : Tough stadiums to play at

wapiti
August 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/pgStory?contentId=8418914#sport=COLLEGE%20FOOTBALL&photo=8416164

Even more accoladdes to App State. xrulesx

What are the tough places to play at in the FCS?

Wa Griz in Missoula would be one (except for Wofford).

Rob Iola
August 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM
UNI-Dome

danefan
August 7th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Wa Griz was the toughest place I ever played at for a few reasons:

Altitude
Noise Level

and the biggest reason: the size of the visitor's sideline. Its just big enough for a bench and about 1 foot and then its wall and "well-researched" fans.

grizband
August 7th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Wa Griz was the toughest place I ever played at for a few reasons:

Altitude
Noise Level

and the biggest reason: the size of the visitor's sideline. Its just big enough for a bench and about 1 foot and then its wall and "well-researched" fans.
I think the proximity of the crowd to the field is one of the largest factors in our home-field advantage. There is literally less than 10 feet between the stands and the playing field.

NDSUFREAK
August 7th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Not trying to be homer but FFD is getting to be up there. It starts with the pregame lights out and incredible noise to start it off...when that place fills up it gets LOUD

appstate38
August 7th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I will be showing my age a bit with this one, but Western Carolina was a tough place to play because the stadium only had the home side at the time. Kinda lulls you to sleep. Just weird to see it. So glad they finally builit some stands on the visitor's side.

Touchdown Yosef
August 7th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Statesboro is always a tough place to play as well

89Hen
August 7th, 2008, 11:53 AM
For Delaware I would have to say Parsons Field at Northeastern. xoopsx

WrenFGun
August 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM
As far as FCS goes, UMass is a very intimidating place to be at. Those fans are simply not very friendly, and there's a lot of them. And it's colder than ****.

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
What about the LA Coliseum? Stanford was the first team to win there in, what, six years?

It also had a dated pic of Lane Stadium, which led the writers to criticize the stadium based on old information. The attachments are FSN's pic and a pic of what the stadium looks like now.

It's an interesting finding, wapiti, but the way that FSN did the listing was quite unimpressive.

UNI Pike
August 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
UNIDOME 160-41-1 (0.799 win percentage) since opening.

Plus - Louder now that there is a metal roof. Fans are literally "on top" of the opposing bench.

Neg - no longer can we open the south doors to create wind for opposing kickers (was air supported roof previously).

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Statesboro is always a tough place to play as well

Absolutely! A lot of current App students don't realize just how rare it is to pull off a victory in Statesboro. Ask any SoCon fan about that who's followed FCS football for more than three years.

andy7171
August 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Maine in November!

89Hen
August 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM
It also had a dated pic of Lane Stadium, which led the writers to criticize the stadium based on old information. The attachments are FSN's pic and a pic of what the stadium looks like now.
Not dated, it's just the other side. xpeacex

wapiti
August 7th, 2008, 12:12 PM
What about the LA Coliseum? Stanford was the first team to win there in, what, six years?

It's an interesting finding, wapiti, but the way that FSN did the listing was quite unimpressive.

The LA Coliseum is a glaring omission from FSN's list. xeyebrowx

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Not dated, it's just the other side. xpeacex

It's the same side. "Perhaps the biggest addition to Lane Stadium was completed prior to the 2006 season. After the 2004 season, the old press box was removed and construction began on this west-side expansion, filling in to match what was built up during the 2004 season." ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Stadium

FSN's pic is old.

introvertedGSUfan
August 7th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Absolutely! A lot of current App students don't realize just how rare it is to pull off a victory in Statesboro. Ask any SoCon fan about that who's followed FCS football for more than three years.

Oh yes. Any stadium in small southern town, USA where the importance of local football is above everything else will always be a tough venue.

89Hen
August 7th, 2008, 12:20 PM
It's the same side. "Perhaps the biggest addition to Lane Stadium was completed prior to the 2006 season. After the 2004 season, the old press box was removed and construction began on this west-side expansion, filling in to match what was built up during the 2004 season." ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Stadium

FSN's pic is old.
It is not the same side. The new press box is what you pictured. It is on the West side of the stadium. What the other picture is a picture of the East side. Notice the big endzone expansion on the right of FSN's picture. That is the South Endzone. xpeacex

BTW, I hate friggin VPI anyway. :p

introvertedGSUfan
August 7th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Also, I'm very surprised to see 'The Swamp' is only 4 on that list when it's typically regarded as the toughest stadium in the US.

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 7th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Kidd Brewer is the hardest place to play and the hardest place to be an away fan.

You just generally feel uncomfortable. It's weird going from the beautiful mountains to hell in about 5 seconds. They put all of their crazy fans on one side of the stadium and make the opposing team and their fans look at them the whole time. It's like looking at a big mountain of pissed off people wearing black. And these aren't normal people either, these are App. fans. Crazy sob's. And then just when you think you can get away from it to use the restroom you can't, port-a-potties for you(I heard they are actually getting modern plumbing after 50+ years!). It's like one bad experience after another if you aren't an ASU fan. Plus, unless you are Georgia Southern, they are probably going to stomp your team into the ground without mercy.

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Also, I'm very surprised to see 'The Swamp' is only 4 on that list when it's typically regarded as the toughest stadium in the US.

Hah! I gotta give props to the team I grew up adoring: the Florida State Seminoles.

How many times did Steve Spurrier win at the Doak? Zero! How many times did Bowden beat Spurrier at the Swamp? Twice. Everyone forgets that nobody beat FSU at Doak from late 1991 until mid 2001. I guess that a few tough seasons erases all that and makes the Swamp and A&M's stadium so much more "intimidiating."

Skjellyfetti
August 7th, 2008, 12:36 PM
What's the stadium with the highest elevation in FCS?

The Rock is 3333 feet. I believe Northern Colorado is higher at 4550 or something feet. Anyone able to top that? What's the highest?

griz5700
August 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Well I haven't been to another venue that is close to as loud as WA-Griz, but I haven't been to any FCS stadiums east of the Miss..

A couple of years ago Tony Romo was on ESPN radio before their playoff game in Seattle, and they asked him if would be prepared for the noise that Qwest field produces, and asked him the loudest place he had ever played.. He responded by saying that he has never heard anything as loud as the crowd at Montana when they played there during the 01 playoffs.. The hosts were pretty suprised, but Romo backed it up.

It was pretty cool to hear, I remember being at that game harassing Romo.

wapiti
August 7th, 2008, 12:41 PM

The Rock is 3333 feet. I believe Northern Colorado is higher at 4550 or something feet. Anyone able to top that? What's the highest?

NAU's Walkup Skydome is just under 7000 feet. xeekx
2nd only to Wyoming's War Memorial stadium.

griz5700
August 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Im guessing Northern Arizona, which has an elevation close to 7,000 feet. I think 6,900 to be exact..

CrazyCat
August 7th, 2008, 12:43 PM

My guess would be Northern Arizona which is at 7000 feet.

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Kidd Brewer is the hardest place to play and the hardest place to be an away fan.

You just generally feel uncomfortable. It's weird going from the beautiful mountains to hell in about 5 seconds. They put all of their crazy fans on one side of the stadium and make the opposing team and their fans look at them the whole time. It's like looking at a big mountain of pissed off people wearing black. And these aren't normal people either, these are App. fans. Crazy sob's. And then just when you think you can get away from it to use the restroom you can't, port-a-potties for you(I heard they are actually getting modern plumbing after 50+ years!). It's like one bad experience after another if you aren't an ASU fan. Plus, unless you are Georgia Southern, they are probably going to stomp your team into the ground without mercy.

Interesting...

As an App fan, I take that as a compliment to the quality of the home field advantage and to the team. I'm proud of the team's accomplishments, especially of late, and of our breathtaking setting for football.

I'd like to defend App's reputation. First I'll say that can't speak for the few but highly vocal drunken, belligerent morons who unfortunately seem to cast ASU in a bad light to so many people. I had the same negative perception of Clemson fans who harassed my parents for the sin of wearing FSU clothing to watch their alma mater play. Everyone I ever associated with at App were quick to make friends. They cheered for App but didn't harass opposing fans. The people I knew at App, from professors to hallmates to classmates, were easily among the friendliest people I've ever known. I don't know whether things have changed since I graduated in '04, but I'm disappointed in the reputation the fanbase is developing. I don't want us to be the Clemson (or Marshall or ECU) of the SoCon/FCS. I'd rather be like Nebraska of the 90's: cordial and inviting, yet darn near impossible to defeat.

ASUG8

We will have restrooms (even for the visitors) this year I hope. You may have heard we've had some construction going on. I know I've been in Boone and had some GSU fans attempt to abuse me and my buddy in the parking lot when they were visiting. I don't think it's so much about ASU fans being so bad as it is about the GSU/ASU rivalry over the years. I know I had some good conversations with Richmond and EWU fans last year tailgating - a little banter here and there (on both sides), but nothing harrassing. My $.02.

CrazyCat
You guys are quick xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

So, I guess its NAU.xrotatehx

813Jag
August 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Hah! I gotta give props to the team I grew up adoring: the Florida State Seminoles.

How many times did Steve Spurrier win at the Doak? Zero! How many times did Bowden beat Spurrier at the Swamp? Twice. Everyone forgets that nobody beat FSU at Doak from late 1991 until mid 2001. I guess that a few tough seasons erases all that and makes the Swamp and A&M's stadium so much more "intimidiating."
It's still pretty tough to win at Doak, it's takes a really talented team or Miami to win there. Even in the tough times.

In the SWAC not counting my own school, I would vote for Alcorn, before they but Spinks they had a wooden stadium that looked like it would fall down at any minute. The school is in the woods and for us city folk you want to get out before night fall. xlolx Besides the zebras will work you over big time.

Ivytalk
August 7th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Harvard has won only once at Penn's Franklin Field since 1980 (2004). Bad things seem to happen to us there, although the crowds are nowhere near as large as they used to be. :(

Reign of Terrier
August 7th, 2008, 12:55 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/pgStory?contentId=8418914#sport=COLLEGE%20FOOTBALL&photo=8416164

Even more accoladdes to App State. xrulesx

What are the tough places to play at in the FCS?

Wa Griz in Missoula would be one (except for Wofford).

No... It was the toughest environment Coach Ayers said we've ever played in (Not the temperature)

Reign of Terrier
August 7th, 2008, 12:59 PM
App would have to be the hardest place to play at because their fans make it hard enough when they're the away team.

dungeonjoe
August 7th, 2008, 01:04 PM
App would have to be the hardest place to play at because their fans make it hard enough when they're the away team.
Wash Griz would surpass as toughest to play than Kidd Brewer especially in playoffs in late November.

Cap'n Cat
August 7th, 2008, 01:04 PM
My guess would be Northern Arizona which is at 7000 feet.

Not FCS, but Fort Lewis' stadium is reputedly at 7700 ft.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 7th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Sure as hell isn't the BIG HOUSE.

Appalachian St - 34
Michigan - 32

http://base.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://www.replayphotos.com/images/APS/xlg/Appalachian-State-Univers-Mens-Sports-Football-Final-Scoreboard-to-Beat-Michigan-in-2007-APS-M-F-00013xlg.jpg&size=2&dhm=6ee357c1&hl=en

Husky Alum
August 7th, 2008, 01:22 PM
NU's never won at W&M or Delaware, so those rank up there.

NU's had weird luck at home in the past. It's the anti-atmosphere and "white noise" from the lack of fans that freaks teams out.

Schools that haven't been to Parsons see the place and laugh, and it works to our advantage.

Happened to Youngstown in 1992, Delaware in 2003, UNH more recently, and I'm sure there are others.

Good teams come to Parsons and simply fall apart.

Reign of Terrier
August 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM

I haven't been to Boone but the Citadel has HORRIBLE bathrooms. You could tell they got some of the money for the renovations from the bathroom cleaning budgetxlolx .

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 7th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Everywhere outside of Washington Grizzly Stadium is very hard to win at, especially in the playoffs.

Wait...................... it's even hard for us to win at WGS in the playoffs.

Eaglesrus
August 7th, 2008, 01:53 PM

We will have restrooms (even for the visitors) this year I hope. You may have heard we've had some construction going on. I know I've been in Boone and had some GSU fans attempt to abuse me and my buddy in the parking lot when they were visiting. I don't think it's so much about ASU fans being so bad as it is about the GSU/ASU rivalry over the years. I know I had some good conversations with Richmond and EWU fans last year tailgating - a little banter here and there (on both sides), but nothing harrassing. My $.02.

I really hate to say it, but having read all that I have over the years and thinking that it can't all be made up, I don't think we have any room to talk here. What ASUGTO says about our particular rivalry may hold some truth, but I also think that there are relatively small factions in most fan bases (particularly at larger schools) that are going to act like idiots no matter who the competition is, and we aren't an exception to this. I think it's great that we are loud and maybe therefore somewhat intimidating inside the stadium, but I really wish we could cut out some stuff that goes on pre- and post-game outside the stadium that's directed at the opposition's fans. Fortunately I haven't personally witnessed much of it anywhere but again, I think that there are just too many stories for there not to be some truth to it.

citdog
August 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I haven't been to Boone but the Citadel has HORRIBLE bathrooms. You could tell they got some of the money for the renovations from the bathroom cleaning budgetxlolx .

THAT PISS WALL HASN'T BY HALF SEEN AS MUCH SCHMECKLE AS YOUR MOTHER!

TRY BUILDING A STADIUM ON YOUR OWN WITHOUT WOFFORDS DADDY JERRY RICHARDSON AROUND AND COME TALK TO ME.

Reign of Terrier
August 7th, 2008, 02:01 PM

TRY BUILDING A STADIUM ON YOUR OWN WITHOUT WOFFORDS DADDY JERRY RICHARDSON AROUND AND COME TALK TO ME.

It seems the lines between FCS discussion and FCS smack are getting blurry...again.xnonox

citdog
August 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM
It seems the lines between FCS discussion and FCS smack are getting blurry...again.xnonox

THEY SURELY ARE.......DON'T SMACK OUR PISS WALL

Eaglesrus
August 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM

We can always count on the boys from THE Citadel!

Reign of Terrier
August 7th, 2008, 02:05 PM
THEY SURELY ARE.......DON'T SMACK OUR PISS WALL

The stuff growing in there might smack back.

citdog
August 7th, 2008, 02:09 PM
The stuff growing in there might smack back.

YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT......THAT'S VISITOR PISS......NOT WORTHY OF PISS FROM THE SUPERIOR BREED OF MAN KNOWN AS THE CITADEL MAN.

AppGrad06
August 7th, 2008, 02:09 PM

FSN's pic is old.

yeah the FSN pic is from the pre-Vick dog fighting days as can be noted by the guy in Vick jersey and the old crapy endzone logos

citdog
August 7th, 2008, 02:10 PM
We can always count on the boys from THE Citadel!

SEE.....SMACK THOSE PIG'S ASS, GA BOYS AROUND A BIT AND THEY DON'T FORGET THE

THE

Eaglesrus
August 7th, 2008, 02:14 PM
SEE.....SMACK THOSE PIG'S ASS, GA BOYS AROUND A BIT AND THEY DON'T FORGET THE

THE

Yeah, the only thing I forgot in my earlier statement was to type learning disabled before boys.

citdog
August 7th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Yeah, the only thing I forgot in my earlier statement was to type learning disabled before boys.

can't wait until you ignorant white trash come to Charleston this year. forecast.....PAIN!

Reign of Terrier
August 7th, 2008, 02:17 PM
YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT......THAT'S VISITOR PISS......NOT WORTHY OF PISS FROM THE SUPERIOR BREED OF MAN KNOWN AS THE CITADEL MAN.

Or it could be spitting the piss out because of the overwhelmingly awesomeness of any visitor at the citadel is just too superior for the piss wall to take because it's used to receiving sub-par piss from the inferior breed of man known as the citadel boys.:p

citdog
August 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Or it could be spitting the piss out because of the overwhelmingly awesomeness of any visitor at the citadel is just too superior for the piss wall to take because it's used to receiving sub-par piss from the inferior breed of man known as the citadel boys.:p

nah....it's the other onexrulesx

Eaglesrus
August 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM
can't wait until you ignorant white trash come to Charleston this year. forecast.....PAIN!

That will be interesting.....will it happen at the same time that our people of color are putting a stomping on your toy soldiers?

citdog
August 7th, 2008, 02:23 PM
That will be interesting.....will it happen at the same time that our people of color are putting a stomping on your toy soldiers?

colored people? is that some new fangled term?

Reign of Terrier
August 7th, 2008, 02:24 PM
nah....it's the other onexrulesx

I'm still praying for your bathroomsxprayx xprayx xprayx

PaladinFan
August 7th, 2008, 02:34 PM
At the FCS level I am usually most impressed by Georgia Southern and App State as tough places to play.

In the SoCon, until just really recently, it used to be that visitors didn't easily win in Kidd Brewer, Pauslon, or Paladin Stadiums. Furman, GSU, and App have had long winning streaks at home a number of times.

In the FBS, I think most get it right with LSU. That stadium has registered on the richter scale once or twice after a big score. It's fun to watch an SEC game as the visitors for many of the schools bring 10,000 fans to road games. Just hearing the fans roar back at one another is amusement enough.

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Here's a question that FSN fairs to answer: What does it mean to be a "tough" place to play? Does it mean that a lot of fans show up? Does it mean that the stadium is loud? Does it mean that fans act like drunken, uneducated, belligerent morons to opposing fans?

Or does "tough" mean, most importantly, that it's hard as crap to win there, regardless of fan behavior? If that's what it meant, then the omission of the LA Coliseum makes the FBS listing almost laughabale.

It seems like this "tough" list is little more than the author(s)' opinions of which stadiums offer the most fan involvement.

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I'll admit that I haven't been to many FCS stadiums, but I think that any top ten "toughest" places to play list would have to include Kidd Brewer, Paulson, Delaware, Wash-Griz, Eddie Robinson, & UMass.

813Jag
August 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I'll admit that I haven't been to many FCS stadiums, but I think that any top ten "toughest" places to play list would have to include Kidd Brewer, Paulson, Delaware, Wash-Griz, Eddie Robinson, & UMass.
Grambling? They hardly play any home games. The toughest place to play in the SWAC is Alcorn, followed closely by Jackson State and Southern. Not trying to sound argumentative.

Touchdown Yosef
August 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Someone mentioned Western a while back and for opposing fans it can be rough. I haven't been since they built new stands on the opposite side but in my visits there I have had cups of liquid thrown at me and spare change while walking to my seat. My friend was also punched in the back of the head by a 60 year old man when he cheered for an App TD and of course you have to love the "****** App!" t-shirts. That was all a few years back though, and I always had a good time visiting there as a student after the games.

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Grambling? They hardly play any home games. The toughest place to play in the SWAC is Alcorn, followed closely by Jackson State and Southern. Not trying to sound argumentative.

you'd know better than I would. I just guessed Grambling because ER had so much success over the decades there. Then again, he retired, what, ten years ago?

Eaglesrus
August 7th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Someone mentioned Western a while back and for opposing fans it can be rough. I haven't been since they built new stands on the opposite side but in my visits there I have had cups of liquid thrown at me and spare change while walking to my seat. My friend was also punched in the back of the head by a 60 year old man when he cheered for an App TD and of course you have to love the "****** App!" t-shirts. That was all a few years back though, and I always had a good time visiting there as a student after the games.

Brings back some good old days! That happened to us years ago at FSU when we carried a lead on them into the 4th quarter. Really find out what kind of fans teams have in a situation like that and theirs, at least the ones close to us, were awful.

813Jag
August 7th, 2008, 03:11 PM
you'd know better than I would. I just guessed Grambling because ER had so much success over the decades there. Then again, he retired, what, ten years ago?
There's no doubt Grambling has always been a great team. Yes Coach Rob has been retired for almost 10 years. (still can't believe it). Grambling is tough to win at but IMO it's tougher at Alcorn. It's just something about that place.

appfan2008
August 7th, 2008, 03:13 PM
i think jmu has a tough place to play as asu will be finding out very shortly

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Brings back some good old days! That happened to us years ago at FSU when we carried a lead on them into the 4th quarter. Really find out what kind of fans teams have in a situation like that and theirs, at least the ones close to us, were awful.

xnonono2x as an FSU fan, that's pretty disappointing to hear. (I'm assuming you guys weren't trying to rub it in their faces, not that it would be any excuse for throwing beer.) Bobby Bowden has always been a class act, as has Jerry Moore. I sure wish their attitudes would rub off on ALL of their respective fans.

Fortunately, Michigan fans were as gracious as they possibly could have been. I'll be worried for my fellow Mountaineer fans in BR if ASU can somehow pull it off at LSU.

As much as I like Mark Richt and dislike GSU, I'll be pulling for y'all against Georgia! :)

813Jag
August 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM
xnonono2x as an FSU fan, that's pretty disappointing to hear. (I'm assuming you guys weren't trying to rub it in their faces, not that it would be any excuse for throwing beer.) Bobby Bowden has always been a class act, as has Jerry Moore. I sure wish their attitudes would rub off on ALL of their respective fans.

Fortunately, Michigan fans were as gracious as they possibly could have been. I'll be worried for my fellow Mountaineer fans in BR if ASU can somehow pull it off at LSU.

As much as I like Mark Richt and dislike GSU, I'll be pulling for y'all against Georgia! :)
LSU really isn't that bad, I've been there many times and I've seen more issues between two LSU fans than I have with other fans. I went to a few games against Auburn and there's a strong dislike there. (to say the least)

If you act crazy anywhere on the road you'll get a response. But there are alot of disrespectful "fans" in Florida.

furman94
August 7th, 2008, 03:39 PM
PalStad used to be! We used to never lose in Paladin Stadium! Kidd Brewer is now the toughest place to play in the Socon. 27,000 App fans at one time can be intimidating! Paulson Stadium is always a tough venue as well ,well, until recently...

introvertedGSUfan
August 7th, 2008, 03:42 PM
PalStad used to be! We used to never lose in Paladin Stadium! Kidd Brewer is now the toughest place to play in the Socon. 27,000 App fans at one time can be intimidating! Paulson Stadium is always a tough venue as well ,well, until recently...

I'm somewhere in the right area of that picture. xsmhx

Eaglesrus
August 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM

My wife, son (who was about 10 at the time) and I were sitting on the top row of the section of seats that were allotted to us and this stuff was raining down from above. I could see all of our fans, who were of course in high spirits, but I didn't see anyone do anything that I would call rubbing it in their faces (we were pretty severely out-numbered, to say the least). The FSU fans we passed as we left the stadium after they pulled out the win were very cordial and complimentary of our team, of course. Who knows, maybe 99% of them were great and it just happened to be only the ones above us that were bottom-feeders.

CID1990
August 7th, 2008, 05:25 PM

Those bathrooms are on the visitors' side. We enjoy thinking about you Wofford trust fund babies getting your pantyhose in a wad over the piss splashing on your ankles as you try to hold your nose and your little pr!icks at the same time.

elcid96
August 7th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Those bathrooms are on the visitors' side. We enjoy thinking about you Wofford trust fund babies getting your pantyhose in a wad over the piss splashing on your ankles as you try to hold your nose and your little pr!icks at the same time.

Fell out of my chair after reading your comment. LOL.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Big Dawg
August 7th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I think Bragg Stadium is a tough place to play as well.

813Jag
August 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I think Bragg Stadium is a tough place to play as well.
I would agree. xnonono2x

Big Dawg
August 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I would agree. xnonono2x

xnodx xlolx :D

813Jag
August 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM
xnodx xlolx :D
No sense in lying, although the last trip there was sweet. xlolx

Reign of Terrier
August 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM

...and that's the closest you've ever come in the last few year to beating Wofford in a football stadium xrolleyesx

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM
No sense in lying, although the last trip there was sweet. xlolx

Dancing on the rattler head, and tearing the goal post down @ Bragg, was indeed sweet. That was my only trip there but I have heard the stories xsmhx xlolx . I think Mumford is the toughest in the Swac and BCF.When SU goes to Alcorn, SU always has more fans than them. Jackson is tough but SU plays very well up there.

813Jag
August 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Dancing on the rattler head, and tearing the goal post down @ Bragg, was indeed sweet. That was my only trip there but I have heard the stories xsmhx xlolx . I think Mumford is the toughest in the Swac and BCF.When SU goes to Alcorn, SU always has more fans than them. Jackson is tough but SU plays very well up there.
It was pretty rough in 1997 and 1999.

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I'd have to say Washington-Griz has to be at or near the top. Every team loses at home sometimes, Wofford fans, as Richmond reminded you.

In alphabetical order, here are the ten that seem to be getting the most mentions:

Jack Sprinks (Alcorn State)
Bridgeforth (JMU)
Bragg (Fla A&M)
Delaware
Fargodome (NDSU)
Kidd Brewer (App)
Paladin (Furman)
Paulson (Ga Southern)
Wa-Giz (Montana)
Stambaugh (Youngstown)

Which stadiums were omitted? (Offer your own top tens instead of saying whatever stadium shouldn't be on the list so that this thread will stay off the smack board.)

Reign of Terrier
August 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Every team loses at home sometimes, Wofford fans, as Richmond reminded you.

xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xmadx Good game until we fumbled the long snap inside the ten!xmadx xmadx xoopsx xoopsx

bcrawf
August 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I'd have to say Washington-Griz has to be at or near the top. Every team loses at home sometimes, Wofford fans, as Richmond reminded you.

In alphabetical order, here are the ten that seem to be getting the most mentions:

Jack Sprinks (Alcorn State)
Bridgeforth (JMU)
Bragg (Fla A&M)
Delaware
Fargodome (NDSU)
Kidd Brewer (App)
Paladin (Furman)
Paulson (Ga Southern)
Wa-Giz (Montana)
Stambaugh (Youngstown)

Which stadiums were omitted? (Offer your own top tens instead of saying whatever stadium shouldn't be on the list so that this thread will stay off the smack board.)

How is the UNI-Dome not on this list?? Ask Delaware, YSU, and after Oct 18 NDSU what the UNI-Dome is all about.

Big Dawg
August 7th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Oh yeah and don't forget the sprinklers being turned on.xlolx

I've heard stories about Mumford and this will be my first trip to Southern.

Big Dawg
August 7th, 2008, 07:24 PM
It was pretty rough in 1997 and 1999.

I remember that 1997 game which was homecoming. I remember sitting in the section right next to where the SU fans were sitting. 33,000+ crammed into 25,500 seat Bragg Stadium to witness 33-3 thumping of SU. SU fans cometo the games DEEP...xlolx

We won't even talk about 1999...:D

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 07:31 PM
How is the UNI-Dome not on this list?? Ask Delaware, YSU, and after Oct 18 NDSU what the UNI-Dome is all about.

For one thing, I've only been to two of those stadiums. I can't speak from personal experience. Instead, I just based it on what people have said so far in this thread.

UNI probably deserves to be on the list. I just didn't feel like researching win-percentages to death, so I put other schools on instead.

jmc_jackrabbit
August 7th, 2008, 07:47 PM
The FargoDome is a very, very tough place to play.

Ronbo
August 7th, 2008, 08:12 PM
YEAR-BY-YEAR IN
WASHINGTON-GRIZZLY STADIUM

YEAR WIN LOSS
1986 2 1
1987 3 2
1988 6 0
1989 * 8 0
1990 4 2
1991 4 1
1992 5 1
1993 * 6 1
1994 * 9 0
1995 * 9 0
1996 * 9 0
1997 5 1
1998 5 1
1999 * 5 2
2000 * 8 1
2001 * 9 0
2002 * 7 1
2003 * 6 2
2004 * 10 0
2005 * 5 2
2006 * 8 1
2007 * 7 1
TOTAL 140 20

Nuff said.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 7th, 2008, 08:27 PM
YEAR-BY-YEAR IN
WASHINGTON-GRIZZLY STADIUM

YEAR WIN LOSS
1986 2 1
1987 3 2
1988 6 0
1989 * 8 0
1990 4 2
1991 4 1
1992 5 1
1993 * 6 1
1994 * 9 0
1995 * 9 0
1996 * 9 0
1997 5 1
1998 5 1
1999 * 5 2
2000 * 8 1
2001 * 9 0
2002 * 7 1
2003 * 6 2
2004 * 10 0
2005 * 5 2
2006 * 8 1
2007 * 7 1
TOTAL 140 20

Nuff said.

What is the playoff record there?

Grizaholic17
August 7th, 2008, 08:40 PM

Not sure. But regardless...87.5% winning percentage is impressive. When the best show in the state is a football game every weekend...it's a tough place to play. Montana Grizzlies put on a show all the time. The fans love it, love their Griz, and cheer LOUD for them. We are known for it.

When espn broadcasted the Umass game, they clocked the decibel level to be equal of that of a Jet Airliner.

The commentators were shocked.

Wa/Griz no doubt.
you have Loud, Weather, and Crazy fans.

it's a trifecta.

Give props to App, Statesboro, UNI, and Fargo dome though!

DrG
August 7th, 2008, 08:50 PM
When espn broadcasted the Umass game, they clocked the decibel level to be equal of that of a Jet Airliner.

The commentators were shocked.
Apparently the UMass players weren't.xsmiley_wix

Scooter
August 7th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Cal Poly is a very tough place to play.

uofmman1122
August 7th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Apparently the UMass players weren't.xsmiley_wixApparently their ears were ringing all the way into Carbondale. xlolx

SuperJon
August 7th, 2008, 08:55 PM
We're not there yet in terms of nationally, but we're by far the hardest place to play in the Big South. We were undefeated at home last year (granted against not very good competition) but it was the first year we'd ever done that. David Bennett (CCU coach) said we were the loudest place he'd seen on tape since App St.

We put 7000 students directly behind the visiting bench. We're not drunk and screaming expletives the entire game, but we can get in your head. We do our research before the game and find out things about players that they would never think of hearing from opposing teams' fans.

The thing I love about our stadium though is people know coming in it's a hard place to play, but they know we're going to have fun with them. Last year we had a conversation with a player who had gotten hurt. Yeah, there were jokes and lines thrown out to him, but he just laughed em off. Jerome Simpson from Coastal had some fun with us in that game and was laughing on the bench. We try to do things the right way. We'll try to get in your head, but we keep it clean and try to make it fun.

Just an idea of where we've come from, this is the Coastal game in 2005:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2697/200510227233cfeb4.th.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=200510227233cfeb4.jpg)

That's how the student side looked: empty.

This is how it looks now:

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/5589/fandallasinairyf3.th.jpg (http://img122.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fandallasinairyf3.jpg)
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v46/72/73/55711651/n55711651_31068993_7861.jpg
(That was in the middle of a hurricane)

We've made a great turn around in two years and this year looks to be just as good. We're nowhere near the powers of FCS football. We're getting there. This year during freshman orientation they're taking every single freshman (all 3500 of them) to the stadium and teaching them our history, our fight song, all of our chants/cheers, and getting them excited about our season before it even starts.

For a school whose football team was dead for 33 years, we've made up for it the past two.

Ronbo
August 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM

20-5

blueballs
August 7th, 2008, 09:02 PM
At which stadium was the two longest home winning streaks in the history of the division- each spanning four seasons- accomplished?

appstate38
August 7th, 2008, 09:30 PM
At which stadium was the two longest home winning streaks in the history of the division- each spanning four seasons- accomplished?

Georgia Southern and App State. I think we could have tied it last year until we lost to the Eagles.xbawlingx

seantaylor
August 8th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Georgia Southern has the two longest home winning streaks ever.

813Jag
August 8th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Oh yeah and don't forget the sprinklers being turned on.xlolx

I've heard stories about Mumford and this will be my first trip to Southern.
Here's all you need to know as a vistior to Mumford. There will be lots of food to eat and good drink. If you're getting tickets through FAMU get ready to sit in the corner of the stadium. And finally watch out for the old women, they can get wild during the games. If you've heard anything else bad, it's probably not true. xlolx

PaladinFan
August 8th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Georgia Southern has the two longest home winning streaks ever.

That playoff loss is still irking you isn't it xnodx

AmsterBison
August 8th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I'd go with Wash-Grizz and Appy's stadium... good teams make it hard to win.

NDSU didn't lose a home game in 1964-1970 (seven seasons without a home loss). They won the first three home games in 1971 too.

Doesn't really count because a) that was in the old "College Division" years and b) it was at Dacotah Field rather than the FargoDome.

I think the FargoDome is actually a pretty easy place to play at for the visitor - it's the Bison team that makes it either hard or easy rather than the stadium. It's a lot easier to win at NDSU now than it was back when the Bison played on the tundra with the winds gusting to 30 mph.

dungeonjoe
August 8th, 2008, 09:53 AM

watch it, citdog, be very careful with your remarks please.

jmc_jackrabbit
August 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I think the FargoDome is actually a pretty easy place to play at for the visitor - it's the Bison team that makes it either hard or easy rather than the stadium. It's a lot easier to win at NDSU now than it was back when the Bison played on the tundra with the winds gusting to 30 mph.

When I said the FargoDome is tough, I wasn't thinking of playing Mayville State there.

The FargoDome is loud. The announcer is annoying and can't seem to shut his mouth. The fans are great. And, oh yeah, the Bison are pretty good, too.

I think maybe the assumption of this thread is that you're supposed to name places where it's tough to defeat the home team. Would you agree that the FargoDome fits that description?

Purple For Life
August 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM
This makes me want to wander over to the Dome and see what the record is...it's painted in the wall above the tunnel where all the opponents run onto the field. xthumbsupx

I think it's something like a 75% winning average, but you'd have to check on that...

Another factor when it comes to being tough to play in has to be the turf. Some of you may say it's pansy to play on turf, but since our guys are used to it, it takes some adjusting for the other teams.

AND I love coming home after a game with my ears ringing...it gets LOUD in there...ask the Wildcats. xlolx The Blue Hens know it too, even if we didn't beat them. xnonono2x

DFW HOYA
August 8th, 2008, 11:56 AM
It's well and good to call your home "tough" when it's full of people...heck, I'm sure Rice Stadium would be tough if Rice sold out, too. (FWIW, if you filled Rice Stadium with every living Rice alumnus, you would still leave 30,000 empty seats there).

So how about a tough place to play regardless of attendance?

Panther FANatic
August 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM
The hardest place to play as a player was Memorial Stadium @ Indiana State. Imagine playing at a s*&$ high school stadium AT BEST, and only having about 500 fans in attendance (300+ of those being our traveling fans). Real hard to get excited in that atmosphere. 2nd toughest? Montana hands down!

Eaglesrus
August 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Our numbers in Paulson are 147 - 24 (.860). The two home winning streaks mentioned earlier were 39 from 9/27/97 - 12/15/01 and 38 from 10/5/85 - 9/22/90. Looks like it's right at time for us to get started on another one of those.

Reign of Terrier
August 8th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Our numbers in Paulson are 147 - 24 (.860). The two home winning streaks mentioned earlier were 39 from 9/27/97 - 12/15/01 and 38 from 10/5/85 - 9/22/90. Looks like it's right at time for us to get started on another one of those.

I'll hope it starts at 10/18 and NO earlier:)

Za-KEE-uS
August 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM
The Hole???

Demon Fan
August 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Since beginning play in Turpin statium in 1979, the Demons' home record stands at 106-42-1, or 71.5% wins. In that same period of time, NSU has been undefeated at home 5 times (1980, '82, 88', '02, '04) In the past ten years the Demons are 42-10 in Turpin (80.7%) including 24-8 under current head coach Scott Stoker.

Grizaholic17
August 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Apparently the UMass players weren't.xsmiley_wix

More like our offense wasn't willing to finish the game. :(

that was one of the better games I've seen. The atmosphere was electric. Props to you! Not many conquer Wa/Griz

And we're 20-5 at home in the playoffs for those of you who asked.

Purple For Life
August 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I found the stat:

160-41-1 for a .799 winning percentage per media guide.

So there you go...

GSUhooligan
August 8th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Here's an excerpt from the media guide

Miscellaneous
Overall Record
147-24 (.860)
Overall FCS Playoff Record
29-3 (.906)
Longest Winning Streaks
*39 (Sept. 27, 1997 to Dec. 15, 2001)
38 (Oct. 5, 1985 to Sept. 22, 1990)
11 (Sept. 29, 1990 to Nov. 2, 1991)
9 (Oct. 1, 1994 to Sept. 21, 1996)
*Current NCAA FCS Record

RabidRabbit
August 8th, 2008, 04:01 PM

NDSU didn't lose a home game in 1964-1970 (seven seasons without a home loss). They won the first three home games in 1971 too.

Doesn't really count because a) that was in the old "College Division" years and b) it was at Dacotah Field rather than the FargoDome.

True - Games against either NDSU or UND in November were guaranteed to be COLD xsmiley_wix up in Tundra Country prior to the domes in Grand Forks or Fargo. Know the Jacks have suffered many a defeat in the Red River Valley xmadx

X-Factor
August 8th, 2008, 04:16 PM
NDSU is 143-19-2 since the opener in 1980. That is .8827

since moving to DI we are 20-2 in the dome. Or 0.91

The two losses? Cal Poly in '04 beat the Bison 13-10 with an 80+ yard INT touchdown return.
UC Davis on '05 beat the Bison 20-14 with a blocked punt for a TD.

Current streak is 12 wins.

McNeese75
August 8th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Since beginning play in Turpin statium in 1979, the Demons' home record stands at 106-42-1, or 71.5% wins. In that same period of time, NSU has been undefeated at home 5 times (1980, '82, 88', '02, '04) In the past ten years the Demons are 42-10 in Turpin (80.7%) including 24-8 under current head coach Scott Stoker.

I probably know where a few of those 10 came from xwhistlex

xpeacex

Henny
August 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM
The hardest place to play as a player was Memorial Stadium @ Indiana State. Imagine playing at a s*&$ high school stadium AT BEST, and only having about 500 fans in attendance (300+ of those being our traveling fans). Real hard to get excited in that atmosphere. 2nd toughest? Montana hands down!

OMG the Sycamores should play Northeastern every year to give each other a taste of their own medicine. Although the Huskies actually have a good team. I have no idea how they do it.

08Dawg
August 8th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Well, not to be a homer but I'd say Johnson Hagood can be difficult. The Corps sits right behind the visiting team, and when you've got two thousand riled up cadets screaming at you, it can get into some people's heads.

DFW HOYA
August 8th, 2008, 05:23 PM
OMG the Sycamores should play Northeastern every year to give each other a taste of their own medicine.

Terre Haute's Memorial Stadium isn't among the worst stadia in I-AA, though Parsons Field is.

JMU DUUUKES
August 8th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I dont think its the hardest, but its certaintly ONE of the hardest places to play ... my homer pick JMU. App fans will see one of the craziest ROAD environments they have ever seen in the FCS.

proasu89
August 8th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I dont think its the hardest, but its certaintly ONE of the hardest places to play ... my homer pick JMU. App fans will see one of the craziest ROAD environments they have ever seen in the FCS.

When I think of hard places to play I most certainly think of Purple and Gold Streamers:D

I agree, it will be difficultxthumbsupx

GrizFanIRAQ
August 8th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Griz are 133-19 in WA-GRIZ Stadium .........(.875)

redspider
August 8th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Kid Brewer Stadum is the toughest by far I have seen to compete in by far I was there when UR played App State last year in the Semi Finals and it was a crazy atmosphere !!!! If I remember correctly it was the largest crowd for an FCS non-champisonship game. I seriously remember at points I could not hear myself and the staidum was literally shaking!

proasu89
August 8th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Kid Brewer Stadum is the toughest by far I have seen to compete in by far I was there when UR played App State last year in the Semi Finals and it was a crazy atmosphere !!!! If I remember correctly it was the largest crowd for an FCS non-champisonship game. I seriously remember at points I could not hear myself and the staidum was literally shaking!

That was the most electric atmosphere I've witnessed in 24 years of games in KBS. I still get chills thinking about that game.

Grizaholic17
August 8th, 2008, 08:43 PM

sounds like nearly every griz game xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx
xpeacex

elkmcc
August 8th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Griz are 133-19 in WA-GRIZ Stadium .........(.875)

The numbers you posted were through 2006. Add in the 2007 season and the win/loss record for WGS is 120-20.

pac10jim knows his stuff.xsmiley_wix

furman94
August 8th, 2008, 09:51 PM
How are the wins decreased from 2006 to 2007?

gabe01
August 8th, 2008, 10:19 PM

I don't necessarily think outdoors was harder. Just different. Outdoors had smaller quieter crowds but nasty weather. But they didn't have 19,000 fans with a roof to keep the noise inside either. They didn't have video boards and pyrotechnics. It was a different world back then.

SeattleGriz
August 9th, 2008, 12:50 AM
sounds like nearly every griz game xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx
xpeacex

Even though we lost, just listen to the crowd. Amazing.

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2007_2008/Football/Multimedia/vs_Wofford_(/um-wofford-2007.wmv

Skjellyfetti
August 9th, 2008, 01:14 AM
A ref at the Richmond-App game said it was the best atmosphere he had ever seen. He called the much hyped Texas-Ohio State game a few years previous.

uofmman1122
August 9th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Even though we lost, just listen to the crowd. Amazing.

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2007_2008/Football/Multimedia/vs_Wofford_(/um-wofford-2007.wmv (http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2007_2008/Football/Multimedia/vs_Wofford_%28/um-wofford-2007.wmv)God, we had so many chances to win that.........xnonono2x

Kymermosst
August 9th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I've yet to make it to Wa-Griz but that video doesn't do justice to the way it sounded even watching the UMass game out there on TV.

If there's any FCS stadium I want to get to it's got to be Wa-Griz. Second, of course, to following my team back to Finley.

The Sheriff
August 9th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I don't necessarily think outdoors was harder. Just different. Outdoors had smaller quieter crowds but nasty weather. But they didn't have 19,000 fans with a roof to keep the noise inside either. They didn't have video boards and pyrotechnics. It was a different world back then.

I'm going to disagree with you, if you are trying to form the opinion that the Fargodome is a bigger advantage than Dacotah Field. When the Sioux hockey team (I know, I know, but bear with me here as I work toward my point) moved into the new Ralph in 2001, their pregame videos and overall atmosphere was probably one of the best I've witnessed in any sporting event I've been to, college and pro. But none of that mattered when the puck dropped. In fact, many would argue that the team was soft in the new building. (The team has actually developed a home ice advantage though in recent years)

Ask any Sioux fan and they would agree that the old Ralph, with its basic scoreboard and 1/2 the seats provided a much more intimidating atmosphere for opponents.

I think opposing teams fear the North Dakota elements more than what the fans are going to be like when coming to play NDSU or UND. For that reason, I'm one who thinks that Dacotah and Memorial Stadiums were more intimidating that the cushy indoor facility called the Fargodome and the Tin Shed Convention Center called the Alerus.

I

griz&beer
August 9th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I think the wildest loudest game was UNH 2004. It was nuts. my thoughts are kid Brewer is a hard place since App is on fire. and a dang tuff team to beat. wA Griz gives the griz 7 points for just showing up. We lose the EWU game last year if we play anywhere but wA Griz.

Jaguar79
August 9th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I have yet to see many FCS experiences like A W Mumford Stadium when Southern is winning. 24,000 plus, singing and dancing together. The visiting fans crammed into three sections in the North corner with their band with a simple guardrail between them and the Jaguar Nation. And I'm not even going to get into the sounds coming out of there. The bands pumping amps at your offense, the fans on the referees. And don't let Southern be down late .... and the band cranks up Lenny Kravitz's "It Ain't Over Til It's Over" ..... I'd hate to be a visitor in that. There is no visitor side to Mumford Stadium and it's about to get worse with the new Endzone Complex, where visitors will probably get pushed too.

Right under that I would put Jackson and Alcorn(when they are winning).

If have also heard great things about McNeese and I really want SU to go down the Southeastern and take over Hammond.

NW State wasn't too bad. SU owns most of the records at Turpin and we won a good bit up there, but they returned the favor in Baton Rouge.

Nicholls used to be cramped .... hated going to Thibodaux.

ericsaid
August 9th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Think about nearly 28K-29k thousand fans screaming Kick A$$ in unison. It's a great feeling. Then you get the echo of the mountain which only intensifies the sound and makes it impossible to here even yourself when your yelling(i.e. Richmond 07', Except Richmond was only 24k. Still impressive but regular season games draw a larger crowd).

Eaglesrus
August 10th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Think about nearly 28K-29k thousand fans screaming Kick A$$ in unison. It's a great feeling. Then you get the echo of the mountain which only intensifies the sound and makes it impossible to here even yourself when your yelling(i.e. Richmond 07', Except Richmond was only 24k. Still impressive but regular season games draw a larger crowd).

Yeah, I remember that from last year, except right there at the end of the game; the silence was even better!

McTailGator
August 10th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I have yet to see many FCS experiences like A W Mumford Stadium when Southern is winning. 24,000 plus, singing and dancing together. The visiting fans crammed into three sections in the North corner with their band with a simple guardrail between them and the Jaguar Nation. And I'm not even going to get into the sounds coming out of there. The bands pumping amps at your offense, the fans on the referees. And don't let Southern be down late .... and the band cranks up Lenny Kravitz's "It Ain't Over Til It's Over" ..... I'd hate to be a visitor in that. There is no visitor side to Mumford Stadium and it's about to get worse with the new Endzone Complex, where visitors will probably get pushed too.

If have also heard great things about McNeese and I really want SU to go down the Southeastern and take over Hammond.

NW State wasn't too bad. SU owns most of the records at Turpin and we won a good bit up there, but they returned the favor in Baton Rouge.

If you think Nicholls is cramped...

Try going to Strawberry in Hammond! xeekx

FargoBison
August 11th, 2008, 12:43 AM
NDSU is 74-14 inside the Fargodome and 20-2 since joining the FCS.

Lionsrking
August 11th, 2008, 12:47 AM
If you think Nicholls is cramped...

Try going to Strawberry in Hammond! xeekx

It's not "cramped," it's INTIMATE!!!xlolxxlolx;)

grizband
August 11th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I think the wildest loudest game was UNH 2004. It was nuts. my thoughts are kid Brewer is a hard place since App is on fire. and a dang tuff team to beat. wA Griz gives the griz 7 points for just showing up. We lose the EWU game last year if we play anywhere but wA Griz.
I believe ESPN measured the decibel level at that game somewhere between 104 and 108... xbowx

T-Dog
August 11th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I'm going to disagree with you, if you are trying to form the opinion that the Fargodome is a bigger advantage than Dacotah Field. When the Sioux hockey team (I know, I know, but bear with me here as I work toward my point) moved into the new Ralph in 2001, their pregame videos and overall atmosphere was probably one of the best I've witnessed in any sporting event I've been to, college and pro. But none of that mattered when the puck dropped. In fact, many would argue that the team was soft in the new building. (The team has actually developed a home ice advantage though in recent years)

Ask any Sioux fan and they would agree that the old Ralph, with its basic scoreboard and 1/2 the seats provided a much more intimidating atmosphere for opponents.

App fans would probably say the same in regards to basketball. Less people are coming now to the state-of-the-art Holmes Convocation Center than the old, wooden-bleacher Varsity Gym. Sometimes moving into newer venues is a gift and also a curse. We moved to HCC for the 00-01 season and aside from the first game versus North Carolina in it, we haven't filled it (or in most cases, filled half of it). The last time we made the NCAA tourney was the last season we were in Varsity (you can also blame the coaching change that year, but that's another story for another time)

SteelCurtain
August 11th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Not trying to be homer but FFD is getting to be up there. It starts with the pregame lights out and incredible noise to start it off...when that place fills up it gets LOUD

Forgot to mention the home record. NDSU has lost 29 home games in the past 42 years.

Somebody top that!!!

appfan2008
August 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM
App fans would probably say the same in regards to basketball. Less people are coming now to the state-of-the-art Holmes Convocation Center than the old, wooden-bleacher Varsity Gym. Sometimes moving into newer venues is a gift and also a curse. We moved to HCC for the 00-01 season and aside from the first game versus North Carolina in it, we haven't filled it (or in most cases, filled half of it). The last time we made the NCAA tourney was the last season we were in Varsity (you can also blame the coaching change that year, but that's another story for another time)

it sure would be nice to have some sort of home court advantage instead of hearing your screams echo around in there... the biggest crowd in my four years was a game against wcu my freshman year with about 5k in an 8k building but we average about 1.5k or 2k which is pretty bad

Demon Fan
August 11th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Sorry, but NSU has played Southern 4 times in Turpin Stadium. The Demons hold a 3-1 advantage there. Playing the Jaguars on their home turf (Mumford and the Superdome), the Demons come up short, 2-4.

ysubigred
August 11th, 2008, 02:05 PM
20-5

Hey!! We like playing at WGS 2-0 baby!!

:D

We (YSU Fans) really do love WGS awesome fans and view!!

ericsaid
August 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I remember that from last year, except right there at the end of the game; the silence was even better!

Luckily I didn't witness the non-existant block in the back or Armanti coming up a yard short. Band trips, gotta hate them.xsmhx

McTailGator
August 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
It's not "cramped," it's INTIMATE!!!xlolxxlolx;)

Ha!

OK.

I hope you guy's can bring back some of your Year one type crowds soon and expand it in the future.