PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know this...

Prominentwon
August 6th, 2008, 09:43 AM
But Appalachian St. seems to be the only I-AA team (still can't call it something else) worth anything in the country. I've been watching preseason shows, reading App St. messages on LSU boards, reading magazines etc etc and it seems to me that it won't take much of anything to win their 4th straight National Championship. I'm sure it's been covered already around here, but I haven't been around. I wonder if the overall opinion on App. St. would differ if everyone knew it took a miracle fumble to get out of the first round of the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the program at all. 3 straight NC's speak for itself, but how many times would ASU beat Michigan if they played 9 more times?

Bring on the "McNeese hasn't won anything!" bashing. But remember, I didn't post this in a biased manner whatsoever. I think it's completely unfair to the entire I-AA world.

BeauFoster
August 6th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Why does everyone think that JMU had the game won? They were losing when they fumbled! There's no guarantee that the field goal would have gone through the uprights. It wouldn't have been the first (or second, or third) that we blocked last season. JMU played a whale of a game, but they didn't finish it out.

furman94
August 6th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I've said it once and I'll say it again; if Ingle Martin hadn't slipped in the cursed endzone on that fateful day in 2005, App would have never had any of this success! Its all our fault FCS. Blame us! :D

In all reality, I'm sure everyone in the FCS is proud of their acomplished brother, but we are also ready for the king to fall off of his mountain (all 3,333 feet of it xnodx ) to crown a new FCS National Champion!

End Rant xthumbsupx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 6th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Agreed, there were a lot of mistakes by both teams in that game. A few turnovers, a couple injuries, a lot of great plays by both teams. 2 PAT missed by ASU, 1 by JMU (there's the game there too!) Why couldn't JMU get 1 yd. when it counted when they had the lead? That would have practically sealed the deal at 27-22 late in the 4th. A lot of ways you can look at the game. The fumble at the end was the pinnacle to a game marked by hustle, effort, and respect. In the end, ASU had the ball when the clock ticked 0:00.

Sept. can't come soon enough so we can start talking about this year's game!

asknoquarter21
August 6th, 2008, 10:02 AM
What National Champ or dynasty hasn't had a good amount of luck with them on there way.

Can you say it is all luck, no.

but there have been many blessings that Appalachian has had of recent.

You could also look at it another way, what if manningham hadn't caught that long pass? no need for a blocked kick.

What if Armanti wasn't hurt last season, chances are we wouldn't have been playing JMU in the first place.

What has happened has happened, and there is a reason they play the game to the final buzzer....anyone can beat any one on any given saturday.

asucraig33
August 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
What National Champ or dynasty hasn't had a good amount of luck with them on there way.

Can you say it is all luck, no.

but there have been many blessings that Appalachian has had of recent.

You could also look at it another way, what if manningham hadn't caught that long pass? no need for a blocked kick.

What if Armanti wasn't hurt last season, chances are we wouldn't have been playing JMU in the first place.

What has happened has happened, and there is a reason they play the game to the final buzzer....anyone can beat any one on any given saturday.

Nailed it. xcoolx

McNeese75
August 6th, 2008, 10:11 AM
But Appalachian St. seems to be the only I-AA team (still can't call it something else) worth anything in the country. I've been watching preseason shows, reading App St. messages on LSU boards, reading magazines etc etc and it seems to me that it won't take much of anything to win their 4th straight National Championship. I'm sure it's been covered already around here, but I haven't been around. I wonder if the overall opinion on App. St. would differ if everyone knew it took a miracle fumble to get out of the first round of the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the program at all. 3 straight NC's speak for itself, but how many times would ASU beat Michigan if they played 9 more times?

Bring on the "McNeese hasn't won anything!" bashing. But remember, I didn't post this in a biased manner whatsoever. I think it's completely unfair to the entire I-AA world.

xbangx You had to start another one didn't you xoopsx

Prominentwon
August 6th, 2008, 10:13 AM
xbangx You had to start another one didn't you xoopsx

Yeah. I should know better than this because I'm a veteran when it comes to message boards, but I couldn't help myself. Edwards on College Football Live yesterday was the straw that broke the camels back.

asknoquarter21
August 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Yeah. I should know better than this because I'm a veteran when it comes to message boards, but I couldn't help myself. Edwards on College Football Live yesterday was the straw that broke the camels back.

is that online anywhere because I still haven't seen it?

jonmac
August 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Let's all hope and pray that all the FCS teams that are playing FBS teams this season win and/or show well. That's the only way the division as a whole will be recognized in the media. I understand what all of you are saying but sometimes it comes across as App bashing when all we've done is won. All of you would love to be in our shoes and I'm sure some of that drives many of the comments made against us and we'd probably do the same if the roles were reversed. As a matter of fact, I sometimes get tired of the "we've won 6" talk from Statesboro. But that's a great accomplishment and they should be proud. We know we will not be the media darlings forever. I truly hope that many FCS schools will do what it takes to bring more positive attention to our division. Because the bottom line is that, even though they are giving ASU attention, they really don't give a rat's behind about any division other than FBS, us included.

Apps03
August 6th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I may be opening a huge can of worms on myself here but there is a simple solution: Somebody step up and beat the Mountaineers when it counts!

ASUG8
August 6th, 2008, 10:29 AM
The bottom line is the slate is clean, the past is the past, and we have a new season ahead. I'm also getting a little tired of the hype and I'm ready for the season to begin. There are a ton of talented programs out there this year, and we all have a good chance at a NC this year. I have my preferences, but I disagree with the OP that this will be a cruise for ASU this year - too many hurdles to cover before that happens. Let's just cool our jets a bit and let the season unfold.

IndianaAppMan
August 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Let's all hope and pray that all the FCS teams that are playing FBS teams this season win and/or show well. That's the only way the division as a whole will be recognized in the media. I understand what all of you are saying but sometimes it comes across as App bashing when all we've done is won. All of you would love to be in our shoes and I'm sure some of that drives many of the comments made against us and we'd probably do the same if the roles were reversed. As a matter of fact, I sometimes get tired of the "we've won 6" talk from Statesboro. But that's a great accomplishment and they should be proud. We know we will not be the media darlings forever. I truly hope that many FCS schools will do what it takes to bring more positive attention to our division. Because the bottom line is that, even though they are giving ASU attention, they really don't give a rat's behind about any division other than FBS, us included.

For what it's worth, the preseason mags like Phil Steele's and The Sporting News are giving our (sub)division a lot more love than we'd gotten in the past. It still annoys me that a bottom feeder team in a bottom feeder conference (see FIU) gets more coverage than the top FCS teams, but we're still getting more attention than in the past.

Oh well. Until the media wises up and realizes that FCS actually does produce high-quality football, it'll remain a relatively well-kept secret.

Black Saturday
August 6th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Maybe I'm not the first to inform you that a college football game lasts 60 minutes. You have to get it done for the whole 60 minutes. You can't win with ifs, ands, or buts. Everybody has a list, even APP.

jonmac
August 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM
For what it's worth, the preseason mags like Phil Steele's and The Sporting News are giving our (sub)division a lot more love than we'd gotten in the past. It still annoys me that a bottom feeder team in a bottom feeder conference (see FIU) gets more coverage than the top FCS teams, but we're still getting more attention than in the past.

Oh well. Until the media wises up and realizes that FCS actually does produce high-quality football, it'll remain a relatively well-kept secret.

Yeah, Steele gave FCS "leftover" space in a West Coast edition. Is it widely available on the east coast, where the majority of the FCS teams are (no offense meant to WC FCS teams.) I guess we have nowhere to go but up.

Kymermosst
August 6th, 2008, 10:53 AM
What I don't get is why so many of you App St fans are taking this thread so personally.

The truth is that in the general media, FCS is I-AA ruled by App St And the majority of that is based on the Michigan game.

You clearly deserve full credit for everything you've accomplished in the last 3 years, but it's a legitimate point: Would App St, and FCS as a whole, be getting this much attention if not for one or two key events? And let's be honest, the answer is no.

If Michigan had won that game, then it's just another "I-A" (keeping with the media thoughts here) superior team beating another "I-AA" scrub who just showed up for a big fat check to keep the lights on at their insignificant school.

If App St had fallen to JMU or anyone else in the playoffs, it would've been written off as a fluke. "Michigan had an off year and got beat by another sub-par school."

Thankfully, App St DID win when it mattered. Personally, I wish the coverage wasn't so superficial and that they would provide coverage for people who actually follow FCS. But the shoddy coverage is better than none. They've opened the door so now it's up to every other team in FCS to step up and show that App St put our foot in the door, but there's a ton of great football for anyone who doesn't want a computer telling them who is worth it.

ASUMountaineer
August 6th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Another thread about this, so I'll say the same thing. Villanova still gets talked about every NCAA tourney for beating Georgetown over 20 years ago. People love the upset, and it was arguably the biggest college football upset in history. So you're going to hear about it for a long time, may as well get used to it.

Don't worry, eventually (could be this year) we won't win the title and you can be happy again. Until then, be happy there is at least SOME talk about FCS, because if they weren't talking about Appalachian they wouldn't be talking about any FCS teams. And, if you watched yesterday's interview, you'd see afterwards they showed four or five other FCS teams that are playing FBS schools this year. Others got mention, just not App.

BobcatJH
August 6th, 2008, 11:37 AM
With regard to the JMU fumble, some teams make plays when it matters most, while others fail to finish.

BarefootApp
August 6th, 2008, 12:37 PM
After sucking worse than hind teat for so many years, I'll take what I can get. I am proud it is my team, but I would be happy for anyone on this FCS ride. If everbody takes care of their own business, we can keep what little attention we are getting, or, God forbid, even raise it a little.

andy7171
August 6th, 2008, 12:49 PM
In my opinion, as long as Arminti Edwards is the quarterback and until someone steps up and beats ASU, there is no reason to think that they won't march through another NC year.

AppIAA
August 6th, 2008, 02:01 PM
If Michigan had won that game, then it's just another "I-A" (keeping with the media thoughts here) superior team beating another "I-AA" scrub who just showed up for a big fat check to keep the lights on at their insignificant school.

If App St had fallen to JMU or anyone else in the playoffs, it would've been written off as a fluke. "Michigan had an off year and got beat by another sub-par school."

Exactly.. IF it happened.. that did not happen.

They are still to this day talking about the UMass Final 4 appearance. Do you complain about that?

Mountaineer
August 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Hey now, MacNeese had a chance to put an end to the run last year, but instead they proceeded to get taken to the shed by Eastern Washington. :D

Tsk tsk. xthumbsupx

blueballs
August 6th, 2008, 05:19 PM
App is king of the mountain right now with the big win over Meechigan and the unprecendented three-peat; but GSU has won six titles, beat App at the Rock last year and is 2-2 in the last 4 against the Mountaineers... so the rivalry is alive and well.xnodx

I hope nobody tells the pinheads in the media those facts.xsmiley_wix

Congrats Appies, but we are all 0-0 right now... can't wait 'till ya'll come to the 'boro in October.xbowx

Reign of Terrier
August 6th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I hope nobody tells the pinheads in the media those facts.xsmiley_wix

It won't matter they'll ignore it like everything else that wasn't beating Michigan.

citdog
August 6th, 2008, 05:24 PM
they should NEVER let armanti edwards NEAR another TV or radio reporter EVER AGAIN. does he even speak english?

Skjellyfetti
August 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM
they should NEVER let armanti edwards NEAR another TV or radio reporter EVER AGAIN. does he even speak english?

Maybe that's why I've never heard a Citadel player interviewed on national tv. xchinscratchx

psc2445
August 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM

I didnt think it was much different than any other college athlete. i was ready to cringe when i prepared to watch it but he actually came across ok. his southern draw is evident as well. but thanks for being an ass

BarefootApp
August 6th, 2008, 05:47 PM
A citadel is an even bigger jerk than I thought. Little man in the Low Country.

citdog
August 6th, 2008, 06:01 PM
thanks for being an ass

well.....i do my best...xnodx xnodx xnodx

citdog
August 6th, 2008, 06:03 PM
A citadel is an even bigger jerk than I thought. Little man in the Low Country.

THE

YOU'RE GETTING BETTER WITH THE SMACK......KEEP WORKING ON IT....

Grizaholic17
August 6th, 2008, 06:19 PM
LMAO! "A citadel"...wow. Any who...Appy St. Has deserved the respect they get from the media...but only the select few millions of fans that follow FCS football know that everyone is equal...but that some get the cards played right for them.

Appy St. is going to have a tough time this year. The so con is terrific again this year. And I think the Great West will deliver as well. And of course the big sky :p :p :p