PDA

View Full Version : What's going on at PSU?

Mountain Panther
August 5th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Lots of hoopla last year with the arrival of Glanville, and hopes were high, only to go 3-8. Many games were very close, including a 3 point loss at Wa-Griz.

Any good recruits? Transfers? Returning starters? I see you have Montana and EWU in Portland this year, so that should help.

xcoffeex

catbob
August 5th, 2008, 09:41 PM
They just cut like 12 players or something like that.

CrazyCat
August 5th, 2008, 09:51 PM
“For the first time in my life, I don’t know who’s going to play for us. We have a left guard coming back. That’s it. Not many people get excited over just a left guard.” — Portland State coach Jerry Glanville.

slycat
August 5th, 2008, 09:53 PM
“For the first time in my life, I don’t know who’s going to play for us. We have a left guard coming back. That’s it. Not many people get excited over just a left guard.” — Portland State coach Jerry Glanville.

yikes

CopperCat
August 5th, 2008, 10:17 PM

While this statement might have a different meaning in context, that's a pretty bleak outlook from a guy that typically is pretty fired up about things. For the sake of the BSC, I hope PSU can put a good team together this year.

I Bleed Purple
August 5th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Maybe I can see a 70 point outburst in person this year instead of just listening to it.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 5th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Hey if the players don't want to play for Glanville cut their stupid ass and get kids there that will sell out for the program.

Good for Glanville, he's a good coach and won't coddle players. He's their coach not their friend.

ncbears
August 6th, 2008, 01:36 AM
They just cut like 12 players or something like that.

They cut 12 players or did they just leave?

Screamin_Eagle174
August 6th, 2008, 01:58 AM
http://www.goviks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92391&SPID=11189&temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=19300&ATCLID=1549369

Not looking so good over there in Portland.

Casey_Orourke
August 6th, 2008, 07:31 AM
From what I understand the players cut were Walsh recruits who in the coaching staffs opinion either didn't fit in with the direction they wanted to go or didn't suffeciently step up when the team was decimated by injuries last season.

I look at it like this, you go to college for an education, not to play athletics. Playing is a privilage, not a right and a scholarship is an honor bestowed on extra good players by the coaching staff. If the new staff wants wants to bestow honors elsewhere they are welco to and the players who lose out can either continue their education at their own expense or transfer to a school they will be a better fit.

turfdoc
August 6th, 2008, 12:49 PM
From what I understand the players cut were Walsh recruits who in the coaching staffs opinion either didn't fit in with the direction they wanted to go or didn't suffeciently step up when the team was decimated by injuries last season.

I look at it like this, you go to college for an education, not to play athletics. Playing is a privilage, not a right and a scholarship is an honor bestowed on extra good players by the coaching staff. If the new staff wants wants to bestow honors elsewhere they are welco to and the players who lose out can either continue their education at their own expense or transfer to a school they will be a better fit.

But you cannot just "cut" players. There is protection for the students. You cannot just take a away a scholarship (despite whatever stories you may hear). Believe me my old position coach tried to make life miserable for guys to get them to quit but, they cannot arbitrarily take away a scholarship because you no longer "fit" their system.

No most kids make some kind of mistake and if they violate team rules then it is an option. At some schools sometimes they find other aid for the athlete so they will voluntarily leave their scholarship.

danefan
August 6th, 2008, 12:58 PM
But you cannot just "cut" players. There is protection for the students. You cannot just take a away a scholarship (despite whatever stories you may hear). Believe me my old position coach tried to make life miserable for guys to get them to quit but, they cannot arbitrarily take away a scholarship because you no longer "fit" their system.

No most kids make some kind of mistake and if they violate team rules then it is an option. At some schools sometimes they find other aid for the athlete so they will voluntarily leave their scholarship.

Depends on the particular school but most schools sign kids to scholarships which amount to essentially a 1 year contract.

At the end of that year it is within the coaches discretion whether or not they will renew that scholarship. And generally speaking it can be done for whatever reason. No way teams have to carry "dead weight". Grants-in-aid are, however, different.

turfdoc
August 6th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Depends on the particular school but most schools sign kids to scholarships which amount to essentially a 1 year contract.

At the end of that year it is within the coaches discretion whether or not they will renew that scholarship. And generally speaking it can be done for whatever reason. No way teams have to carry "dead weight". Grants-in-aid are, however, different.

Not if the scholarship is part of a national letter of intent and considered a true "athletic scholarship" it is a yearly signing but the school is on the hook for the full term of the student athlete's academic career up to 5 years.

If schools break those rules and no one reports them that is one thing but athletes are protected from this by the NCAA.

As long as the student shows up for meetings and is in good academic and social (no arrests or chronic documented behavior problems etc...) standing the player's scholarship cannot be revoked.

Ronbo
August 6th, 2008, 02:58 PM

You're right but if you are off the team they free up a football schollie as the one you have no longer counts towards the 63.

turfdoc
August 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM
You're right but if you are off the team they free up a football schollie as the one you have no longer counts towards the 63.

Exactly. Most FCS programs cannot afford to do this very often so they try to get the kid to quit/transfer or find some other kind of aid so the student will voluntarily give up his scholarship.

I have known of a couple of players who purposely put up with the hard time just to "stick it" to a a coach who they hated by taking up scholarship money. They could have gotten other aid but figured if they were going to be off the team the program could foot the bill.