PDA

View Full Version : Coastal in the CAA?

Lapper
October 21st, 2005, 11:04 AM
Should Coastal consider starting negotiations with the CAA?

HensRock
October 21st, 2005, 11:06 AM
no room at the inn.

I don't think it wants any more that 12 FB schools.

DB_Atlantic10
October 21st, 2005, 11:15 AM
no room at the inn.

I don't think it wants any more that 12 FB schools.

Plus, Hampton already has applied, so Coastal would probably have to wait in line....

boozeANDammo
October 21st, 2005, 11:22 AM
I hear W&M has applied for a academic status upgrade to the Patriot... perhaps you could take their spot. ;)

It'll be a while before we let anyone else in... i.e. negotiation not necessary.

rokamortis
October 21st, 2005, 11:48 AM
Like everyone else says - no room. There won't be any vacancies unless the A-10 schools split or the CAA breaks up somehow. If the CAA does want to keep UNC-W happy or expand their reach in the south then we make sense - but not likely to happen for 5-10 years and by that point UNC-W might be long gone.

LacesOut
October 21st, 2005, 11:50 AM
Uhhh, so what schools are in the CAA??? Pardon my ignorance on the matter.

OL FU
October 21st, 2005, 11:51 AM
You make me repeat myself. It is the SoCon but it will take a few years. Patience is not only a virtue but a requirement. :)

SoCon48
October 21st, 2005, 11:51 AM
Should Coastal consider starting negotiations with the CAA?

Please do. Be sure to burn any paper trail to the Big South.

GannonFan
October 21st, 2005, 11:52 AM
Plus, Hampton already has applied, so Coastal would probably have to wait in line....

I like that, that's funny. But no, there is no room at all for anyone else. And with ODU picking up football in 2009 and with the likes of George Mason and Georgia State potentially having teams in the future after that, there is no room in the foreseeable future. The CAA will need to break up, which is always possible, for other teams to be added.

rokamortis
October 21st, 2005, 11:52 AM

http://www.caasports.com/

The A-10 conference will cease to sponsor football after this season. When I mentrioned A-10 schools I meant full members - not associates.

colgate13
October 21st, 2005, 11:56 AM
You guys have it all wrong. Fordham is a lock for CAA membership... and will play in the southern division!

(sounds crazy, right? Not to a Fordham fan who claims to have inside information that says the CAA would take Fordham "in a heartbeat". I tried my best to reason with him, but alas, no go. I have since ceased polluting the Fordham board with our diatribes.)

boozeANDammo
October 21st, 2005, 12:04 PM
You guys have it all wrong. Fordham is a lock for CAA membership... and will play in the southern division!

(sounds crazy, right? Not to a Fordham fan who claims to have inside information that says the CAA would take Fordham "in a heartbeat". I tried my best to reason with him, but alas, no go. I have since ceased polluting the Fordham board with our diatribes.)

:D

TigerFan17
October 21st, 2005, 12:26 PM
I don't think the CAA will be looking for anyone for a while...its on the rise as a mid-major conference and with the acquisition of A-10 football, they are likely right where they wanna be. Basketball is starting to be on the national seen with ODU and VCU and now football will bring this conference a lot of recognition. Sorry, folks.

But, we will however take Fordham...if they let us. :D

ChickenMan
October 21st, 2005, 12:51 PM

the current A10 football playing schools that are otherwise members of the CAA are...

JMU
W&M
Towson
Delaware
Hofstra
Northeastern

plus...

Old Dominion will soon began playing 1AA football as a CAA member

the CAA website...

LacesOut
October 21st, 2005, 01:04 PM
the current A10 football playing schools that are otherwise members of the CAA are...

JMU
W&M
Towson
Delaware
Hofstra
Northeastern

plus...

the CAA website...

Thanks, but, that's it??? Quite a small football conference.

colgate13
October 21st, 2005, 01:05 PM
plus...

If that happens though, what does the CAA do? A 13 team league? Find another school to make it an even 14 (where perhaps a Fordham does make sense - in the north of course)? Ask some schools to leave (Richmond says hello to the Patriot League w/scholarships)? Wait for another non-football CAA school to start a program?

colgate13
October 21st, 2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks, but, that's it??? Quite a small football conference.

No silly - add the football affiliates to that list: UMass, UNH, Maine, URI, Richmond, Villanova... am I forgetting someone?

TigerFan17
October 21st, 2005, 01:35 PM
Nope thats all 12.

TigerFan17
October 21st, 2005, 01:41 PM
It is unclear to me at this point what the CAA plans for the future. There are 6 current schools that will sponsor CAA football and are full members. ODU will make seven and Georgia State is getting things in the works now. That will make 8...

Perhaps they are trying to oust non-football sponsoring schools to other leagues..(your George Masons, VCUs and UNC-Ws) and then grab new members that sposnor football (perhaps a few from the A-10).

Perhaps they are going to just cut out the affiliates in the future when 2 more CAA schools sponsor football, giving the conference 8 total members?

It really isn't clear to me at all what the future goal is, but what we have now works.

colgate13
October 21st, 2005, 01:46 PM
It really isn't clear to me at all what the future goal is, but what we have now works.

You mean sponsoring a sport sometime in the future while it currently is run by another league? :confused:

CAA football has yet to play a down, so I don't know if the claim that it 'works' can be made! :p

(splitting hairs, I know)

LacesOut
October 21st, 2005, 01:59 PM
No silly - add the football affiliates to that list: UMass, UNH, Maine, URI, Richmond, Villanova... am I forgetting someone?

LOL

My bad, I didn't even consider that those northern schools would join.

Thanks 13.

HenHouse1
October 21st, 2005, 02:13 PM
What makes you think that ODU is a definite? I am curious because I haven't seen any formal announcement that they will have a football team. While I have heard that they are surveying the area for football interest, along with a couple others, I hadn't heard anything definite

GannonFan
October 21st, 2005, 02:16 PM
What makes you think that ODU is a definite? I am curious because I haven't seen any formal announcement that they will have a football team. While I have heard that they are surveying the area for football interest, along with a couple others, I hadn't heard anything definite

It was my understanding that it is a definite, as long as they make certain milestones (fund raising, stadium improvements, etc). But from all the news out of ODU and their board on the CAA zone it sounds definite.

Keydet90
October 21st, 2005, 02:56 PM
We've heard thiss out of ODU several times over the years. There are some mighty big "ifs" regarding the milestones they have to meet. I would like to see ODU come in to the BSC. A game against VMI every other year in Norfolk would attract 15-20K to Foreman field and that would be a boon for a new program to get crowds like that. Just wait until we play Norfolk State next year - no way we draw less than 15K for that game as well.

DP '90

ChickenMan
October 21st, 2005, 04:51 PM
Seems to me that ODU has already made a commitment to resurrect football...

Board wants ODU playing football by 2009

By JIM DUCIBELLA, The Virginian-Pilot
© June 14, 2005

NORFOLK — The temperature at Old Dominion University reached the mid-90s Tuesday afternoon – perfect weather, it turned out, for football.

By a vote of 14-0, the university’s Board of Visitors approved resurrecting a football program that has been dormant at the school for 65 years. If certain preliminary criteria are met, ODU would hire a coach in 2007 and play its first game since 1940 at Foreman Field in fall 2009.

President Roseann Runte, administrators and student and alumni representatives voiced strong consensus that football would increase school spirit, shed ODU’s image as a commuter school, draw alumni back to campus and inspire more donations.

“Alumni will finally have that homecoming long denied them,” said Lauren Connor, president-elect of the Alumni Association, who pledged that her organization will sell season tickets, solicit donations and promote the program.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=87778&ran=203045&tref=pohttp://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=87778&ran=203045&tref=po (http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=87778&ran=203045&tref=po)

blukeys
October 21st, 2005, 05:47 PM
I second CM's motion that ODU will have football. I have been amazed by the response of ODU alumni to the football announcement. (I have been equally amazed by the number of ODU grads in central and southern Delaware and they ALL want to know when they can party at the TUB!!! :D :D :D )

The Norfolk, Hampton, Va Beach area of Va. is totally suburbanized. It is loaded with people and ODU has a presence throughout the area.

ODU's goals are high but does anyone honestly think the football idea will be dropped if they only hit 80% of their goals? Not to mention the huge amount of football talent there is in the area, Anyone ever hear of Michael Vick? UD fans know of Mondoe Davis, Lonnie Starks and Marquez Davis.

ODU is very well situated for CAA football not to mention automatic OOC games with Hampton, Norfolk State, and VMI. In football mad Southern Va. ODU football is a slam dunk. Georgia State is the next best bet in the CAA. George Mason U seems to have a football hostile administration which will make football difficult but I will defer to those in the D.C. Area to report the details of the GMU situation.

TigerFan17
October 21st, 2005, 06:28 PM
I don't see GMU picking up football ever really. I see ODU and GSU doing it however.

Colgate13 - You know what I meant...it works now, it will be the same thing just under a different name later. ;)

colgate13
October 21st, 2005, 09:43 PM
Colgate13 - You know what I meant...it works now, it will be the same thing just under a different name later. ;)

I was just bustin...

But I do think that the CAA might have some trouble on the horizon if non football CAA members start up I-AA programs. The CAA would have to take them, so what happens to the affiliates? That could be an interesting soap opera to watch in a few years.

Sly Fox
October 22nd, 2005, 12:05 AM
I think Coastal & Liberty (among others) are hoping something goes wrong under the new CAA arrangement whereby a split might occur. That's our only hope for admission anywhere north at this point.

ChickenMan
October 22nd, 2005, 07:21 AM
I was just bustin...

But I do think that the CAA might have some trouble on the horizon if non football CAA members start up I-AA programs. The CAA would have to take them, so what happens to the affiliates? That could be an interesting soap opera to watch in a few years.

The CAA members would be fine... but the 'non-CAA' football affilliates... would likely be looking for a new home.

ccd494
October 22nd, 2005, 10:20 AM
The CAA members would be fine... but the 'non-CAA' football affilliates... would likely be looking for a new home.

Hopefully by that time, Albany and Stony Brook will have gone full scholarship.

America East football (Maine, UNH, Albany, Stony Brook) + Rhode Island, UMass, Villanova?

89Hen
October 22nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
I don't see GMU picking up football ever really.
Ever is a long time. If ODU does it and is successful, GMU will absolutely look at doing it. At least they already have a club team.

colgate13
October 22nd, 2005, 11:27 AM

By 'CAA' I meant all 12 current teams... Whoever is left out of an 8-9 member CAA from the current 12 will have some TOUGH decisions ahead. America East...Patriot...NEC????

TigerFan17
October 22nd, 2005, 01:12 PM
Definitely will be tough. They won't want to become full CAA members likely because the A-10 has the basketball advantage.

ccd494
October 22nd, 2005, 04:29 PM
They'll be fine.

New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Villanova
Richmond
Maine
Rhode Island
Albany*
Stony Brook*

*with scholarships

Is a credible conference. Certainly good enough for an auto-bid.

tribe_pride
October 22nd, 2005, 04:39 PM
That conference sucks for Richmond. I could see them looking to go elsewhere if that was the conference. Their closest opponent is Villanova and that is if Villanova decides to join that new conference. Next closest is Stony Book I guess.

blukeys
October 22nd, 2005, 04:54 PM
Ever is a long time. If ODU does it and is successful, GMU will absolutely look at doing it. At least they already have a club team.

It is my understanding that the Administration of GMU is cool to to the idea of football. I see interest by alumni but I don't know if that is enough. GMU is a school with enough undergrads and alumni, if they are willing to financially support the venture, to make football work.

I believe GMU will be the largest school in Va. without football once ODU gets in.