PDA

View Full Version : ESPN thinks App is Hot

AppAlum
August 5th, 2008, 08:36 AM
This is my first thread on AGS so be kind.:D

ESPN has an article on it's home page called "What's hot (and not) for 2008" and it actually calls out an FCS team (App) on the hot side.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview08/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3517236

"Appalachian State: The Mountaineers stunned Michigan 34-32 in the Big House to start the 2007 season. On Aug. 30, three-time defending FCS national champ Appalachian State gets a crack at defending BCS champion LSU."

There is also a 1-AA reference in the not column complaining about top teams scheduling FCS schools for their opener.

furman94
August 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
1-AA? What's that? :D Come on ESPN!

danefan
August 5th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Do they think App is Hot, Hot, Hot?

AppAlum
August 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM

Haha, that's what I was thinking when i saw that.xlolx

Worst video ever

89Hen
August 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM
xoopsx Glad you posted it and not me. :p

BarefootApp
August 5th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Jump in anytime, citdog.

andy7171
August 5th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Haha, that's what I was thinking when i saw that.xlolx

Worst video ever

I think that's what everyone here was thinking and was just afraid to post it ... again.

ASUMountaineer
August 5th, 2008, 10:40 AM
You should have posted the thread with this title.

ESPN thinks Appalachian is Hot (Hot, Hot!) xlolx

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Of course ESPN will put them on The Hot list. To me I think they respect ASU not because they won 3 titles straight but because the beat everyone's "darling Michigan" and they can't seem to get over it. It's a new season you're supposed to look forward not back. If LSU whips App and App wins the title again they might get over the Michigan stuff. I have alot of respect for ASU but no respect for how they're treated in the media: For example: Lindy's preseason magazine had one page on FCS and 9/10 of it was on ASU, and 75% of it was on beating Michigan. Is anyone here besides me tired of how App beat Michigan?

danefan
August 5th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Of course ESPN will put them on The Hot list. To me I think they respect ASU not because they won 3 titles straight but because the beat everyone's "darling Michigan" and they can't seem to get over it. It's a new season you're supposed to look forward not back. If LSU whips App and App wins the title again they might get over the Michigan stuff. I have alot of respect for ASU but no respect for how they're treated in the media: For example: Lindy's preseason magazine had one page on FCS and 9/10 of it was on ASU, and 75% of it was on beating Michigan. Is anyone here besides me tired of how App beat Michigan?

App beat Michigan?
How'd I miss that.

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM
App beat Michigan?
How'd I miss that.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

'neers79
August 5th, 2008, 11:07 AM

You’re right. Approaching the anniversary of one of the greatest moments in football history, we shouldn’t look to the past, especially when a similar scenario is about to take place. I’m sure when we play Georgia Southern and Wofford this year, nobody will be talking about last year at all. Hell, throw Elon in for that matter.

putter
August 5th, 2008, 11:16 AM
"I-AA states: More than a few BCS contenders will open the season against lightweights. Georgia plays Georgia Southern. West Virginia plays Villanova. Ohio State plays Youngstown State. Oklahoma faces Chattanooga. Texas Tech plays Eastern Washington."

If Georgia Southern, Youngstown State and Eastern Washington are considered lightweights - FCS is in trouble

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 11:19 AM
You’re right. Approaching the anniversary of one of the greatest moments in football history, we shouldn’t look to the past, especially when a similar scenario is about to take place. I’m sure when we play Georgia Southern and Wofford this year, nobody will be talking about last year at all. Hell, throw Elon in for that matter.

Are you predicting App over LSU or a completely different underdog winning (a bunch of Socon teams have a chance!xthumbsupx )

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Are you predicting App over LSU or a completely different underdog winning? (a bunch of Socon teams have a chance!xthumbsupx )

appstate38
August 5th, 2008, 11:27 AM
"I-AA states: More than a few BCS contenders will open the season against lightweights. Georgia plays Georgia Southern. West Virginia plays Villanova. Ohio State plays Youngstown State. Oklahoma faces Chattanooga. Texas Tech plays Eastern Washington."

If Georgia Southern, Youngstown State and Eastern Washington are considered lightweights - FCS is in trouble

Well said, I agree!

AppAlum
August 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Would be great to see Georgia go down to GS, lots of people would then talk about southern conference beating BCS contenders instead of just App beating Michigan.

AppAlum
August 5th, 2008, 11:29 AM
You should have posted the thread with this title.

ESPN thinks Appalachian is Hot (Hot, Hot!) xlolx

Done

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Would be great to see Georgia go down to GS, lots of people would then talk about southern conference beating BCS contenders instead of just App beating Michigan.

And Then Again Wofford over USC isn't very far-fetched. (Steve Spurrier woud probably be firedxlolx )

skinny_uncle
August 5th, 2008, 11:39 AM

We are all lightweights. Didn't you get the memo?
xwhistlex

ASUG8
August 5th, 2008, 12:18 PM
App beat Michigan?
How'd I miss that.

No way!!!
Keep posting tripe and lies like this and the mods will close the thread....xnonono2x

ASUG8
August 5th, 2008, 12:20 PM
And Then Again Wofford over USC isn't very far-fetched. (Steve Spurrier woud probably be firedxlolx )

Not a big Spurrier fan here, so I'd love to see the 'dogs take down the chickens. Good luck!

ericsaid
August 5th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Actually yes.xconfusedx

appmountaineer
August 5th, 2008, 12:31 PM
It really pissed me off to see that they had 1-aa states as not hot. So often I feel like nobody in the media knows or cares about 1-aa until something interesting happens. Here's to hoping another great FCS upset happens over a FBS team.

ASUMountaineer
August 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
It really pissed me off to see that they had 1-aa states as not hot. So often I feel like nobody in the media knows or cares about 1-aa until something interesting happens. Here's to hoping another great FCS upset happens over a FBS team.

That is true, but for what little coverage we get imagine what it's like to be a D-II or D-III school...they get zero coverage. I know we're D-I, but until everyone else thinks so, we're not going to get equal, or even deserving coverage.

ASUMountaineer
August 5th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Would you feel this way if it was Wofford getting 9/10 of the coverage? I'm not saying you have sour grapes, but people like me, who went through years of explaining what state Appalachian was in, it's nice to see our name everywhere and people not familiar with us for any other reason now perk up when I say, "I went to Appalachian State."

AppGrad06
August 5th, 2008, 12:54 PM
That is true, but for what little coverage we get imagine what it's like to be a D-II or D-III school...they get zero coverage. I know we're D-I, but until everyone else thinks so, we're not going to get equal, or even deserving coverage.

Though Gameday was hosted at a D-II game one weekend last year I believe

danefan
August 5th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Though Gameday was hosted at a D-II game one weekend last year I believe

DIII game - Williams vs. Amherst

hoseman
August 5th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Admire App State for taking on LSU along with PC in the same season.

gvilleapp
August 5th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Admire App State for taking on LSU along with PC in the same season.

Under Bentley, PC is really going to make some noise in the next couple years. By the time you're eligible for the BSC championship, I predict you'll be one of the favorites.

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Would you feel this way if it was Wofford getting 9/10 of the coverage? I'm not saying you have sour grapes, but people like me, who went through years of explaining what state Appalachian was in, it's nice to see our name everywhere and people not familiar with us for any other reason now perk up when I say, "I went to Appalachian State."

I'm OK with App getting exposure. Its just that it makes me mad that the mainstream media will go on and on about APP beating Michigan and then later its "Oh by the way they won three straight national championships". My frustration isn't with app state, its with the ESPN analysists being unable to say FCS without Appalachian state and Michigan in the next sentence. It takes an upset like this for any FCS team to get exposure from the football world and it will have nothing to do with how well they play in there division. Wofford will probably never get that kind of exposure 1.we don't schedule those kind of games 2.on average we don't have that kind of talent every year (we're getting there though)

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I'm OK with App getting exposure. Its just that it makes me mad that the mainstream media will go on and on about APP beating Michigan and then later its "Oh by the way they won three straight national championships". My frustration isn't with app state, its with the ESPN analysists being unable to say FCS without Appalachian state and Michigan in the next sentence. It takes an upset like this for any FCS team to get exposure from the football world and it will have nothing to do with how well they play in there division. Wofford will probably never get that kind of exposure 1.we don't schedule those kind of games 2.on average we don't have that kind of talent every year (we're getting there though)

the closest we'll come to an app-michigan upset is South carolina because of the size proportion and talent level.

TwinTownBisonFan
August 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I think we tend to forget that most of the guys working at places like ESPN actually don't know all that much about college football beyond the BCS teams, and at that the top 25 of them.

This is why they are shocked when Boise St. beats Oklahoma, and cannot seem to fathom how a Sun Belt or WAC team could beat one of their under-contract BCS darlings... much less an FCS team.

Make no mistake... ESPN would care a whole lot if they signed a contract with SoCon, CAA, or MVC. Then, all of the sudden you'd see a million articles about how they deserve respect, you'd see features on SportsCenter calling it by it's proper name, rather than the pejorative "I-AA". they'd call it "more now" and generally nauseate us with their saturation self-promot... er i mean... integrity filled sports journalism.

Now they've seized on App... because it's something that your average jemoke knows=underdog (funny thing about perspective)... it's an easy hook for them. taking the time required to study FCS and cover it properly wouldn't be as good for the ratings as reporting on when brett favre had a bowel movement... so that's what they cover.

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 01:50 PM
This is why they are shocked when Boise St. beats Oklahoma, and cannot seem to fathom how a Sun Belt or WAC team could beat one of their under-contract BCS darlings... much less an FCS team.

Now they've seized on App... because it's something that your average jemoke knows=underdog (funny thing about perspective)... it's an easy hook for them. taking the time required to study FCS and cover it properly wouldn't be as good for the ratings as reporting on when brett favre had a bowel movement... so that's what they cover.

Yeah, I just wish they would SHUT UP about App winning already because they might not get it but the rest of the world gets it AND IT HAPPENED A YEAR AGOxbangx .

Screamin_Eagle174
August 5th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Exactly! Nichols will give ESPN a little reminder why Big 12 defenses are in the not hot side of the column. xthumbsupx

I actually feel kind of bad for Tech, they're in the national spotlight being ranked, and they have to play both EWU and UMass to start their season... could get ugly for them.

ASUMountaineer
August 5th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah, I just wish they would SHUT UP about App winning already because they might not get it but the rest of the world gets it AND IT HAPPENED A YEAR AGOxbangx .

They still talk about Villanova beating Georgetown every year the NCAA basketball tourney starts up and that was over 20 years ago. It's a huge upset, and people get fascinated by it.

We have had an awesome stream of media coverage, and I hope we milk it all we can because it will eventually fade away and when it does, it will take something else like that to get it back. I wouldn't care what team did it, I would be happy for them. It's beneficial for me that it was my alma mater.

If you take the time to quit hating and realize that we still get more coverage than other divisions and that it's beneficial for FCS as a whole to get national coverage you could let it go. It did happen a year ago and we're going into a new season, get used to it, you're going to hear it a lot more in the next month.

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM
They still talk about Villanova beating Georgetown every year the NCAA basketball tourney starts up and that was over 20 years ago. It's a huge upset, and people get fascinated by it.

We have had an awesome stream of media coverage, and I hope we milk it all we can because it will eventually fade away and when it does, it will take something else like that to get it back. I wouldn't care what team did it, I would be happy for them. It's beneficial for me that it was my alma mater.

If you take the time to quit hating and realize that we still get more coverage than other divisions and that it's beneficial for FCS as a whole to get national coverage you could let it go. It did happen a year ago and we're going into a new season, get used to it, you're going to hear it a lot more in the next month.

I never said I didn't feel good for app. The bottom line is that I don't like how espn didn't understand that App was no push over in the first place and they treated the upset like chattanooga beat Michigan as oppose to App. the point is that whenever you mention FCS, people (Non-FCS) will think of App state because they beat Michigan not because of the championships. I'M NOT HATING APP I'M HATING ESPN.

elcid96
August 5th, 2008, 02:44 PM
It is good for FCS. Congrats. I hope another upset happens this year to really get the media in love with FCS.

elcid96
August 5th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I never said I didn't feel good for app. The bottom line is that I don't like how espn didn't understand that App was no push over in the first place and they treated the upset like chattanooga beat Michigan as oppose to App. the point is that whenever you mention FCS, people (Non-FCS) will think of App state because they beat Michigan not because of the championships.

At least they are thinking about it. They probably didn't find out about the championship until they saw APP beat Michigan. I will bet that if you asked FBS college football fans two years ago who won the FCS championship, they wouldn't even know. In fact, I think that ESPN would only show the game on ESPN2.

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 02:59 PM
At least they are thinking about it. They probably didn't find out about the championship until they saw APP beat Michigan. I will bet that if you asked FBS college football fans two years ago who won the FCS championship, they wouldn't even know. In fact, I think that ESPN would only show the game on ESPN2.

Actually they're hardly thinking about FCS at all. If you asked FBS fans 2 years ago to name as many FCS schools as they could they would probably only say the ones on their schedules. Now, because of the way ESPN presents it, it would be that + APP because they don't mention anything but APP. It's good for App (Not hating on that) but does little for FCS (Hating On That)

ASUMountaineer
August 5th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I never said I didn't feel good for app. The bottom line is that I don't like how espn didn't understand that App was no push over in the first place and they treated the upset like chattanooga beat Michigan as oppose to App. the point is that whenever you mention FCS, people (Non-FCS) will think of App state because they beat Michigan not because of the championships. I'M NOT HATING APP I'M HATING ESPN.

Sounded like you were hating both and dealing with some sour grapes. Nevertheless, I'll say it for the third time. The coverage is good for all of FCS. The coverage we get is better than the coverage D-II or D-III gets. We should at least be happy with that. FBS fans are not going to know FCS until more teams get big wins. I don't like the non-coverage, but it's going to be that way, and still beats the coverage of the lower divisions.

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Sounded like you were hating both and dealing with some sour grapes. Nevertheless, I'll say it for the third time. The coverage is good for all of FCS. The coverage we get is better than the coverage D-II or D-III gets. We should at least be happy with that. FBS fans are not going to know FCS until more teams get big wins. I don't like the non-coverage, but it's going to be that way, and still beats the coverage of the lower divisions.

I'll agree to disagree. The win was a good win for App. More people probably watched the playoffs because of it. Otherwise it didn't improve media coverage for any team but Appalachian state.

ASUMountaineer
August 5th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I'll agree to disagree. The win was a good win for App. More people probably watched the playoffs because of it. Otherwise it didn't improve media coverage for any team but Appalachian state.

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree, because I think it helped FCS football. Joe Flacco was helped quite a bit by it. The AP poll was changed to include FCS schools.

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree, because I think it helped FCS football. Joe Flacco was helped quite a bit by it. The AP poll was changed to include FCS schools.

ESPN is going to do back flips if ASU beats LSUxlolx

furman94
August 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM
backflips? try skydiving!

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 5th, 2008, 05:02 PM
ESPN is going to do back flips "when" ASU beats LSUxlolx

Fixed

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Fixed

keep your fingers crossed

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 5th, 2008, 05:34 PM
One must be positive.

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 05:38 PM
One must be positive.

If we're being positive let's hope JMU beats Duke by less than 20 points so the Devils still have some pridexlolx xlolx xlolx

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 5th, 2008, 05:40 PM
If we're being positive let's hope JMU beats Duke by less than 20 points so the Devils still have some pridexlolx xlolx xlolx

JMU can beat Duke by as many as they want!

Duke losing is all that matters in the universe.

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2008, 05:43 PM
JMU can beat Duke by as many as they want!

Duke losing is all that matters in the universe.

xlolx xlolx Seeing Duke win a game is like watching France win a war...It happens but not very often.xlolx xlolx

proasu89
August 5th, 2008, 07:21 PM

xsmiley_wix Not mexpeacex

'neers79
August 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM

I would LOVE to see that. xthumbsupx