PDA

View Full Version : Craig Bohl gets a contract extension!!!!

onbison09
August 4th, 2008, 08:59 PM
http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=210389
xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx Just thought I would post this for all the Bison fans and bashers.

NDSUFREAK
August 4th, 2008, 09:13 PM
:pumpuke: THATS SICK!! :pumpuke:

xlolx xlolx xbowx Best salary for one of the best in the country

bisonguy
August 4th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Here's the actual contract-http://www.in-forum.com/pdfs/Bohl%20addendum.pdf

Base -$174k
Media - $60k
Camps- $5k
Fees- $5k
Tickets -$30k

Incentives:
National Championship - $20k
Runner-up -$10k
MoValley Champs- $10k
Top 4 Seed- $6k
Each Home Playoff Game- $5k
Each Road Playoff Game- $2.5k

ncbears
August 4th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Well deserved!

Hammersmith
August 5th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Just to be technical, I don't believe his contract was extended. He signed a seven year deal in 2005, and I don't think the expiration date has changed. What has changed is the value of the contract. The increase includes a 20% base pay raise to $174k, a guaranteed 4% raise per year(current state mandate for university workers), $60k in media appearances that used to be payed by area media outlets, $10k in non-media appearances and camps, up to $41k in performance incentives($46k after next year), and between $30k-$50k in ticket sales incentives(3% of season and single-game tickets). If completely maxed out, the contract could net Coach Bohl a bit over $360k in 2010 and 2011. More realistically, he can look for at least $285k to find its way into his bank account this year even without a playoff win.

jmc_jackrabbit
August 5th, 2008, 07:17 AM
We need a new coaches salary thread here. In my opinion, Bohl is worth every penny.

Meanwhile, here at SDSU, state law won't even allow multi-year contracts for coaches. Coach Stiegelmeier makes something like $110,000. Pathetic. Given what he means to this university, that's sad. Stig is probably the most beloved figure in SDSU athletics.

Civil06
August 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Just to be technical, I don't believe his contract was extended. He signed a seven year deal in 2005, and I don't think the expiration date has changed. What has changed is the value of the contract. The increase includes a 20% base pay raise to $174k, a guaranteed 4% raise per year(current state mandate for university workers), $60k in media appearances that used to be payed by area media outlets, $10k in non-media appearances and camps, up to $41k in performance incentives($46k after next year), and between $30k-$50k in ticket sales incentives(3% of season and single-game tickets). If completely maxed out, the contract could net Coach Bohl a bit over $360k in 2010 and 2011. More realistically, he can look for at least $285k to find its way into his bank account this year even without a playoff win.

You're absolutely correct. It's an addendum to the contract, not an extension.

RabidRabbit
August 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM

Congrats to Bohl! A very good coach, and NDSU would be well suited to keep him around a LLLOOOONNNNGGGGG time.

Cap'n Cat
August 5th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Hate to burst your bubble, but he's already on the short list to replace that washed up exGriz nonperformer at Wyoming, Joe Glenn, should he have another flat year.

I say Bohl is in Fargo throughout '08, then Wyoming buys out his Herd contract to hire him.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

furman94
August 5th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Go Thundering Terds I mean Bison! Great to see his extension in your first D1 NC capable year!

pwbnd
August 5th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Hate to burst your bubble, but he's already on the short list to replace that washed up exGriz nonperformer at Wyoming, Joe Glenn, should he have another flat year.

I say Bohl is in Fargo throughout '08, then Wyoming buys out his Herd contract to hire him.

Not saying it can't happen, but what makes you so confident that Coach Bohl would leave NDSU for Wyoming? The money is only slightly better (300,000 compared to 500,000.....I don't know too many folks that would turn down a 200,000 raise, but it's all relative in football). The conference, although FBS isn't that much of a step up from the MVFC. Wyoming draws around 20,000 per game, about the same as NDSU.

Why not stick around a few years, make some noise in the playoffs, maybe bring home a NC and start seeing offers from BCS (or close to BCS) schools?

I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'.

jmc_jackrabbit
August 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM

That may be, but I can't imagine it. It seems possible that Bohl can log a few more years in Fargo, win a national title or two, and go someplace better.

NDB
August 5th, 2008, 10:13 AM
We need a new coaches salary thread here. In my opinion, Bohl is worth every penny.

Meanwhile, here at SDSU, state law won't even allow multi-year contracts for coaches. Coach Stiegelmeier makes something like $110,000. Pathetic. Given what he means to this university, that's sad. Stig is probably the most beloved figure in SDSU athletics.

Stig is awesome. Tied for #2 as my favorite coach with Lennon.

Smash mouth football on a dime store budget.

Cap'n Cat
August 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Oh, I was just lying, anyway.

:D :D

Hansel
August 5th, 2008, 11:46 AM

He would do better following the Tressel Model than the Glenn model

bisonguy
August 5th, 2008, 04:32 PM
He would do better following the Tressel Model than the Glenn model

I believe that's exactly what he's doing. xnodx

slostang
August 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Well deserved. Bohl is one of the top coaches in the FCS and now he will be paid like one. Congrats to both coach Bohl and NDSU.

IndianaAppMan
August 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Not saying it can't happen, but what makes you so confident that Coach Bohl would leave NDSU for Wyoming? The money is only slightly better (300,000 compared to 500,000.....I don't know too many folks that would turn down a 200,000 raise, but it's all relative in football). The conference, although FBS isn't that much of a step up from the MVFC. Wyoming draws around 20,000 per game, about the same as NDSU.

Why not stick around a few years, make some noise in the playoffs, maybe bring home a NC and start seeing offers from BCS (or close to BCS) schools?

I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'.

Outside of Jerry Moore, there's almost no one who turns down such a massive raise. I mean, that's a 67% raise! I think JM just doesn't see any motive for uprooting this late in his career, regardless of money. Bohl is at an earlier stage in his career, so he'd be a much more likely candidate to "go on, take the money and run" off to Wyoming. Oh well. It's all speculation anyway.

As for the MVFC-WAC analogy, didn't the SIU coach leave a high-quality FCS team for a low-quality, bush-league MAC team (NIU)? Sadly, the FCS is still treated in almost all aspects as relatively minor league compared to FBS, including media coverage, salaries, and especially national perception.

FargoBison
August 5th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Outside of Jerry Moore, there's almost no one who turns down such a massive raise. I mean, that's a 67% raise! I think JM just doesn't see any motive for uprooting this late in his career, regardless of money. Bohl is at an earlier stage in his career, so he'd be a much more likely candidate to "go on, take the money and run" off to Wyoming. Oh well. It's all speculation anyway.

As for the MVFC-WAC analogy, didn't the SIU coach leave a high-quality FCS team for a low-quality, bush-league MAC team (NIU)? Sadly, the FCS is still treated in almost all aspects as relatively minor league compared to FBS, including media coverage, salaries, and especially national perception.

NDSU's facilities and how our school treats football is completely different then SIU.

I won't say Bohl wouldn't take an FBS job, he just isn't going to make a move for the sake of moving up the ladder. He will want to be put in the right situation. Minnesota was that kind of situation, NIU was not.