PDA

View Full Version : Anti-homerism: pick your most-likely LOSSES of the season!

Screamin_Eagle174
August 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM
As a psychology major one quarter shy of attaining my BA, it's no surprise that people tend to overestimate the strength and outcome of their team's season, and underestimate the strength and outcome of their opponents'. It's part of the self-serving bias in social psych. xcoffeex

Soooo, let's throw the 'Pick your wins and losses' thread on it's head... you can only pick your losses, or at least for the homers who know their team isn't going to lose, list in order the teams on your schedule who you have the greatest chance of losing to! xeekx xlolx

As for Eastern:
1. 08/30/08 @ Texas Tech xspankxxpopcornx

2. 09/06/08 @ Colorado xprayx

3. 10/11/08 vs Montana xchinscratchx

4. 11/15/08 vs Northern Arizona xconfusedx

5. 11/22/08 @ Weber State xeyebrowx

6. 10/18/08 @ Montana State xnottalkingx

7. 10/04/08 @ Portland State xnonox

8. 11/08/08 @ Northern Colorado xthumbsdownx

9. 11/01/08 vs Sacramento State xviolinx

10. 09/27/08 vs Idaho State xasswhipx

11. 09/20/08 vs Western Washington xsmashx

813Jag
August 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
1 @ Houston
11 Mississippi Valley

everything else could possibly go either way.

danefan
August 4th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Most likely loses for Albany:

UMass
UNH
Delaware

Appaholic
August 4th, 2008, 02:25 PM
@ LSU
@ James Madison

We run the table in the Socon......

Go...gate
August 4th, 2008, 02:26 PM
For Colgate:

Stony Brook
Coastal Carolina
Furman
Fordham
Cornell
Lehigh

slostang
August 4th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I think that Cal Poly has the ability to win every game on their schedule with the exception of maybe Wisconsin. I would rank the top five toughest games for Cal Poly as:

1. @ Wisconsin
2. @ McNeese State
3. @ San Diego State
4. @ South Dakota State
5. Montana (Montana would be near the top if the game was at Montana)

If Cal Poly wants a shot at the playoffs they better go 3-2 or better against the above teams.

Boone4280
August 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM
@ LSU
@ James Madison

Agreed, aside from those two games, cant wait for Wofford under the lights, im feeling a blow out.

DSUrocks07
August 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Kent State
Hampton

and I got a bad feeling about Howard this year

HiHiYikas
August 4th, 2008, 02:38 PM
LSU should be a loss.

JMU could easily be a loss. I've got such respect and admiration for that program (Matthews is a little reckless with his play and his mouth sometimes, but it can actually be a little endearing). I love to see them succeed, and to play ASU closely. Unless the early season shows one of these two squads to be weaker than advertized, I'm counting on a nailbiter in Harrisonburg. And in those types of contests, you've almost always got to give the edge to the home team.

Appalachian's performance in those two games should set the tone for the season.

Running the table in the SoCon would be wonderful, and there's virtually no question that, on paper, ASU is superior to every other team in the conference. But the conference has some traditionally good teams and some much improved teams, many of which are well-coached enought to discover and exploit Mountaineer soft spots.

Case in point - what was probably the best of the three Mountaineer championship teams dropped two SoCon games last season. That kind of stuff almost always happens, we just can't be sure when it will happen.

Rob Iola
August 4th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Delaware: Maryland, Furman, UMass, JMU, Richmond, Nova

Go Bison
August 4th, 2008, 02:41 PM
NDSU: @ UNI and @ Youngstown State...possible Wyoming

Rob Iola
August 4th, 2008, 02:42 PM
As for Eastern:
1. 08/30/08 @ Texas Tech xspankxxpopcornx

2. 09/06/08 @ Colorado xprayx

3. 10/11/08 vs Montana xchinscratchx

Yikes! A must-win in week 3 - I don't care what the reason is, starting 0-3 will bury you so deep poll-wise that you might not make the playoffs at 8-3 - at least it's at home for you...

PaladinFan
August 4th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Virginia Tech
Deleware
one other SoCon.

App fans, if you're team is "clearly superior" in the SoCon how do you explain losing to GSU, Wofford, and beating Furman by a touchdown? Better than most? yes. Clearly superior. Nope.

Bison "FANatic"
August 4th, 2008, 02:49 PM
NDSU: @ UNI and @ Youngstown State...possible Wyoming

What he said:) Tough road games

bluehenbillk
August 4th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I'd rank them for UD: (hardest to easiest)

Maryland
Richmond
JMU
UMass
'Nova
Hofstra
Furman
W&M
Maine
Towson
Albany
West Chester

CSUBUCDAD
August 4th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Bucs lose to:

Miami
Wofford
Miami(Ohio)
and possibly Liberty

CID1990
August 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM
clempson
Florida
ASU
Furman

OL FU
August 4th, 2008, 03:09 PM
All of them in a most likely to lost to order

1. Va Tech
2. ASU ( I hate the rock)
3. Elon (unlike my buddies at the mini get together, I am a believer. Of course if I find out early in the season that we have a defense alot of my predictions will change)
4. Wofford
5. Delaware (UD would be number three if we were playing in the Tub)
6. Citadel
7. Colgate (This one makes me a lot more nervous than a 7 ranking. We typically screw up an early away game and I think Colgate will be good this year)
8. GSU
9. Samford ( They aren't 11 only because we play them away)
10. Western Carolina (They aren't above Samford because we play WCU at home)
11. Chattanooga
12. Mars Hill

What that list really says is that there are (known at present) 8 opponents that should be tough.

Appaholic
August 4th, 2008, 03:09 PM
LSU should be a loss.

JMU could easily be a loss. I've got such respect and admiration for that program (Matthews is a little reckless with his play and his mouth sometimes, but it can actually be a little endearing). I love to see them succeed, and to play ASU closely. Unless the early season shows one of these two squads to be weaker than advertized, I'm counting on a nailbiter in Harrisonburg. And in those types of contests, you've almost always got to give the edge to the home team.

Appalachian's performance in those two games should set the tone for the season.

Running the table in the SoCon would be wonderful, and there's virtually no question that, on paper, ASU is superior to every other team in the conference. But the conference has some traditionally good teams and some much improved teams, many of which are well-coached enought to discover and exploit Mountaineer soft spots.

Case in point - what was probably the best of the three Mountaineer championship teams dropped two SoCon games last season. That kind of stuff almost always happens, we just can't be sure when it will happen.

The only reason I'm picking them to run the SoCon schedule is location. We play Citadel, Elon, Wofford and Furman at home.......and Jayson Foster is gone from Ga South which is away.....switch those locations around, and i predict we lose possibly two of those games......I'm glad were playing at LSU and JMU this year with the home schedule we have......if we played either or both away next year, it would be absolutely brutal schedule.....

rjacks21
August 4th, 2008, 03:12 PM
SDSU:

@ Iowa State
@ NDSU
@ UNI
@ Southern Illinois
McNeese St.

Appaholic
August 4th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Virginia Tech
Deleware
one other SoCon.

App fans, if you're team is "clearly superior" in the SoCon how do you explain losing to GSU, Wofford, and beating Furman by a touchdown? Better than most? yes. Clearly superior. Nope.

On paper, with our schedule, we are clearly superior....ON PAPER.....we lost at Wofford, beat Furman at Furman by one touchdown and lost by one touchdown to Foster led Ga South.......now Furman comes to Boone, Wofford come to Boone, and Foster is gone from Ga South.......given our schedule and returning starters, on paper we are clearly superior........but that paper and $.50 will get you a cup of coffee come late Sept....xcoffeex

bostonspider
August 4th, 2008, 03:14 PM
For Richmond:
@UVA
@UMass
@Elon
JMU
@Villanova

Hopefully they will win at least 2 of those 5 games...

OL FU
The only reason I'm picking them to run the SoCon schedule is location. We play Citadel, Elon, Wofford and Furman at home.......and Jayson Foster is gone from Ga South which is away.....switch those locations around, and i predict we lose possibly two of those games......I'm glad were playing at LSU and JMU this year with the home schedule we have......if we played either or both away next year, it would be absolutely brutal schedule.....

There is no doubt that the home schedule works in your favor. If you are going to run the table this is the year to do it, kinda like '06.

ASUG8
@ LSU
@ James Madison

Agreed, but I'll add Elon on as a tight game. We have a Montana (vintage '07) type home schedule this year, which should work in our favor along with another 4K seats.

Figures I just moved to SC and we're playing FU, Woffy, and El Cid at the Rock......

crusader11
August 4th, 2008, 03:24 PM
For Colgate:

Stony Brook
Coastal Carolina
Furman
Fordham
Cornell
Lehigh

Ouch, not much respect for HC.

Here are some likely losses:

UMASS, Yale, Colgate

HiHiYikas
August 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Read a little closer, take the compliment, THEN post.

App fans, if you're team is "clearly superior" in the SoCon how do you explain losing to GSU, Wofford, and beating Furman by a touchdown?

To repeat myself...

...The conference has some traditionally good teams and some much improved teams, many of which are well-coached enough to discover and exploit Mountaineer soft spots.

I would add that the first Mountaineer championship squad lost to Furman, yet came out on top of the Division.

Better than most? yes. Clearly superior. Nope.

On paper, that is statistically speaking. Simply take the number of total wins, points scored, points allowed, all-conference players, offensive and defensive numbers, rankings, polls, etc., and put together some kind of big composite SoCon football report card for last season. ASU gets an A, Wofford gets an A-/B+, the rest fall in someplace behind. Nobody with any sense is going to argue that fact.

Furthermore, nobody with any sense is going to tell you that the team that looks better on paper always wins. We ain't playing Magic the Gathering here.

Reign of Terrier
August 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Wofford's most likely losses:

1. USC (just because they're FBS)
2. App state (Its AT Boone but should be interesting)
3. Furman (until we beat them at home I'm not convinced)
4. Citadel (beating them 9 years straight, it'll be their Super Bowl)
5. Elon (we're gonna want blood in this game)
6. GSU (we've owned them in recent years and JF is gone)

UIWWildthing
August 4th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Towson's schedule:
8/30 @ Navy 3:30 PM - Loss
9/06 Morgan State 6:00 PM - Win
9/13 @ Richmond 3:00 PM - Loss
9/20 @ Coastal Carolina 7:00 PM - Win
9/27 Columbia 3:00 PM - Loss
10/04 Northeastern 12:00 PM - Win
10/11 Rhode Island 3:00 PM - Loss
10/25 @ New Hampshire 12:00 PM - Loss
11/01 William & Mary 12:00 PM - Win
11/08 @ Delaware 12:00 PM - Loss
11/15 @ Villanova 1:00 PM - Loss
11/22 James Madison 1:00 PM - Loss

Reign of Terrier
August 4th, 2008, 03:41 PM
On paper, that is statistically speaking. Simply take the number of total wins, points scored, points allowed, all-conference players, offensive and defensive numbers, rankings, polls, etc., and put together some kind of big composite SoCon football report card for last season. ASU gets an A, Wofford gets an A-/B+, the rest fall in someplace behind. Nobody with any sense is going to argue that fact.

statistically correct. We beat You last year because we had the better TEAM not the better PLAYERS. Our Coaching probably made up for our talent being less. GSU beat you because they had the BEST PLAYER

ASUG8
August 4th, 2008, 03:45 PM
statistically correct. We beat You last year because we had the better TEAM not the better PLAYERS. Our Coaching probably made up for our talent being less. GSU beat you because they had the BEST PLAYER

The Terriers beat us because they had excellent play calling and ran a misdirection that we couldn't handle. Good team, great play calling and likely a little of US having our heads in the clouds a little - losing to Woffy was probably the best thing that could have happened to us to get our heads back on reasonably straight.

carney2
August 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
For Colgate:

Stony Brook
Coastal Carolina
Furman
Fordham
Cornell
Lehigh

What, are you popping downers? 5-6? No way.

carney2
August 4th, 2008, 03:50 PM
For Lafayette:

Harvard is the only sure thing. Liberty is a close second. Everything else is in play to one degree or another.

Reign of Terrier
August 4th, 2008, 03:58 PM
The Terriers beat us because they had excellent play calling and ran a misdirection that we couldn't handle. Good team, great play calling and likely a little of US having our heads in the clouds a little - losing to Woffy was probably the best thing that could have happened to us to get our heads back on reasonably straight.

That and A.Our offensive scheme changed from the past.
B. There were probably more Wofford fans in stadium than appy's used to (more noise when they have the ball).

HiHiYikas
August 4th, 2008, 03:59 PM
This is what I'm saying...

Although I don't buy into the "better players/best team" analysis. It's a cliche, an interesting angle for sportswriters, a gimmick. As much as we're programmed to believe that individual notariety neccesarily hurts team chemistry, that's not how it works. Life ain't 'The Mighty Ducks,' but fans generally buy into whatever wishful thinking makes them feel comfortable.

Besides the "best player", "better players," or "best team" labels are as useless as being "statistically superior" once we're past the coin toss. Better teams lose and lesser teams win - it happens every week.

And if it didn't, who'd want to go to the games?

We digress...good thread topic so far.

OL FU
August 4th, 2008, 04:00 PM

3. Furman (until we beat them at home I'm not convinced)4. Citadel (beating them 9 years straight, it'll be their Super Bowl)

You are an intelligent young terrierxnodx xthumbsupx

Eaglesrus
August 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM
On paper, with our schedule, we are clearly superior....ON PAPER.....we lost at Wofford, beat Furman at Furman by one touchdown and lost by one touchdown to Foster led Ga South.......now Furman comes to Boone, Wofford come to Boone, and Foster is gone from Ga South.......given our schedule and returning starters, on paper we are clearly superior........but that paper and $.50 will get you a cup of coffee come late Sept....xcoffeex

Foster didn't play for us to speak of in 2006 either (@#$%&* coach), we had the worst coach in college football history (see previous note) and we took you to two overtimes, but I have to agree that y'all look better on paper. I'll really be surprised if anyone runs the table in the SoCon this year, though.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Yikes! A must-win in week 3 - I don't care what the reason is, starting 0-3 will bury you so deep poll-wise that you might not make the playoffs at 8-3 - at least it's at home for you...

Yes and no. Montana is actually our fourth game... I just listed them as the 3rd most-likely team we lose to on our schedule, right behind the two BCS teams. We play D-II Western Washington in between which will guarantee a win, but won't count come selection Sunday.

If we lost to UM, then we have to run the table to get in (pending Montana doesn't choke against 2 other BSC teams).... pending EWU doesn't upset TT or Colorado. I think we have a good shot at the Buffs though.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 4th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Of course, this is not the ranking of the teams that are on our schedule, but ordered from lowest probability of winning to the highest probability of winning....

1. @Georgia - nothing more need be said. I'm confident we only lose by 20 or so, though.

2. @ The Citadel - (they always play tough in Charleston, will be good next year, and they are good about bringing grudges on the field)

3. Appalachian State: with them in Statesboro, I like our chances of beating them more than I like our chances of beating The Citadel. They just can't seem to win in our stadium. Wofford and Furman both have more wins in our stadium than ASU does.

4. Elon
5. Wofford
6. @Furman (can you say, 'payback mentality'?)
7. @ Western Carolina (WCU will be tougher than people think)
8. Northeastern
9. @ Chattanooga
10. Austin Peay
11. Samford

And I agree with EaglesRus that no one runs the table in the SoCon this year.

Reign of Terrier
August 4th, 2008, 04:06 PM
You are an intelligent young terrierxnodx xthumbsupx

I should have also mentioned "2 years straight"xoopsx

jmc_jackrabbit
August 4th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Good idea for a thread.

Coach Stig would say that any game is a likely loss unless you believe you can win. I believe. But at some point we have to face reality:

Most likely losses:

McNeese (it's Hobo Day -- homecoming -- that should help)
Cal Poly (Bye week the week before might help, but the Mustangs also have a bye the week before.)
@UNI (Only game we really didn't have a chance in last year)
@NDSU (We haven't won in Fargo in forever)
@Iowa State (First FBS game)

Grizaholic17
August 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
No one knows with Montana this year, but Eastern Washington is a great team that plays us hard every year. We don't have them in Wa/Griz this year, and the new coach is keeping things mostly the same except for a 4-3 standard defense change.

EWU is an iffy
and Cal Poly will pose difficulties too.

Can't say we'll lose them though, just saying they're possibilities.

Appaholic
August 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM
There is no doubt that the home schedule works in your favor. If you are going to run the table this is the year to do it, kinda like '06.

Yeah....let me qualify that statement....wih our home schedule, on paper, we should run the table.....chances are we won't because it is a tough conference, but, statistically speaking, we have the best chance of any school to do it this year......

Appaholic
August 4th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Foster didn't play for us to speak of in 2006 either (@#$%&* coach), we had the worst coach in college football history (see previous note) and we took you to two overtimes, but I have to agree that y'all look better on paper. I'll really be surprised if anyone runs the table in the SoCon this year, though.

I will too.........and the future chances of that happening are dwindling....conference is getting tighter with improvement from El Cid & Elon, Furman and Ga South will bounce back, Wofford's already there.....

MaximumBobcat
August 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Most likely losses...in order...

1. UCA - their air attack will prolly kill us again.
2. McNeese - we'll have to travel to Lake UpChuck to face a good defensive team...
3. SMU - depth

Grizaholic17
August 4th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Most likely losses...in order...

1. UCA - their air attack will prolly kill us again.
2. McNeese - we'll have to travel to Lake UpChuck to face a good defensive team...
3. SMU - depth

don't count yourself out with SMU. Many falters can result from their game plan and holes on defense.

elcid96
August 4th, 2008, 05:52 PM
LSU should be a loss.

I agree. I believe that was your best team and the NFL draft day proved that to be true. Congrats on three great seasons. However, this year may be very tough with how much the SOCON has improved.

elcid96
August 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM
1) Florida State
2) Clemson
3) ASU

TheBisonator
August 4th, 2008, 06:22 PM
We will lose two of the following four games:

@ Wyoming
@ Youngstown State
vs. Southern Illinois
@ Northern Iowa

CID1990
August 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
clempson
Florida
ASU
Furman

Come to think of it, as a student of the history of football at The Citadel, I am just as tempted to say that our most likely losses are UTC and Samford, while our most likely wins are clempson and ASU.

We could very well have another 1990 on our hands. That year we beat USC but lost to teams like UTC (they were better back then, though).

Or, in 1992 we beat Arkansas and Army but lost to the Thundering Turds and Youngstown State.

To be honest, I can't say I would be terribly disappointed with wins over ASU and clempson and losses to UTC and Samford.

Reign of Terrier
August 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Come to think of it, as a student of the history of football at The Citadel, I am just as tempted to say that our most likely losses are UTC and Samford, while our most likely wins are clempson and ASU.

We could very well have another 1990 on our hands. That year we beat USC but lost to teams like UTC (they were better back then, though).

Or, in 1992 we beat Arkansas and Army but lost to the Thundering Turds and Youngstown State.

To be honest, I can't say I would be terribly disappointed with wins over ASU and clempson and losses to UTC and Samford.

whose clempsonxeyebrowx ?

jmc_jackrabbit
August 4th, 2008, 07:08 PM
We will lose two of the following four games:

@ Wyoming
@ Youngstown State
vs. Southern Illinois
@ Northern Iowa

I see them like this:

@ Wyoming: W (NDSU plays in front of bigger crowds at the every time they suit up at the Dome)
@Youngstown: W (I was at the game last year when SDSU fell behind and then outplayed the Penguins for three quarters but fell short in Youngstown. They're good, but NDSU was better last year.)
vs. SIU: W (Nobody's going to beat NDSU at the Dome)
@UNI: Toss-up (The two best teams SDSU saw last year were UNI and NDSU.)

Col Hogan
August 4th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Two most likely losses

JMU and Texas Tech...back-to-back...both on the road... (Sept 13 & 20)

Thank goodness our bye week follows the Tech match...

SuperJon
August 4th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Most likely to least likely:

@ YSU
Elon
@ CCU
Stony Brook
Lafayette
G-W
@ WCU
@ PC
CSU
@ VMI
Glenville
NGU

NDSUFREAK
August 4th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Good idea for a thread.

Coach Stig would say that any game is a likely loss unless you believe you can win. I believe. But at some point we have to face reality:

Most likely losses:

Cal Poly (Bye week the week before might help, but the Mustangs also have a bye the week before.)

SDSU can win that game, probably will

Mountain Panther
August 4th, 2008, 09:09 PM
SDSU:

McNeese St.

xsmhx

You'll win this one.

McNeese75
August 4th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Good idea for a thread.

Most likely losses:

xrolleyesx Come on now, you will win those two games xcoffeex

griz&beer
August 4th, 2008, 10:24 PM
We do good over in Cheney ,Joe Alby is are down fall. Cal Polly is going to be tuff. I realy think we will win one of two of these games. We may drop one to PSU it will be on the road and will be there game of the year.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 4th, 2008, 10:45 PM
We do good over in Cheney ,Joe Alby is are down fall. Cal Polly is going to be tuff. I realy think we will win one of two of these games. We may drop one to PSU it will be on the road and will be there game of the year.

Joe Albi had nothing to do with it... Eastern just outplayed the Griz that year. Alas, no other EWU-UM game will be played there since it was torn down last year or the year before.

I agree though, both teams play each other very tough in their respective stadiums (well I take that back, even I won't be as brass as to say that Woodward Field qualifies as a stadium!), however this year's team is much better than that of 2004 when it came down to that #@*$ing blocked FG! xmadx

Either way, it'll be a great game, but I don't see the Griz coming out ahead this time... my Eagles have chip on their shoulder for that miracle Bagley catch on 4th and long last year. xthumbsupx

With the revamped Griz D, I say EWU 38, UM 27
Oh, and any AGS Griz fans that are coming over here, let me know and we'll drink some beers and shoot the **** before the game!

uofmman1122
August 4th, 2008, 11:40 PM
It's very possible that we could lose to:

1. Cal Poly
2. Eastern Washington
3. Weber State
4. Portland State

All away games. xeekx

However, I don't see us losing all of them.

McDABest
August 4th, 2008, 11:44 PM
McNeese's hardest games
@ UNC - obvious reasons
@ SDSU - they routed us in 2006 (we have a MUCH better team now, but still that was not a pretty game)
vs. Cal Poly - they are just a pretty good team
@ UCA - their QB is AMAZING just like EWU's and with a few tweaks to the UCA system and they do the same thing we did to them to us
@ Northwestern St. - it doesn't matter how good of a team either of us are. this is a big game and we could win or lose this game anytime (this game always makes me nervous)
@ SHSU - they are usually one of the best teams in the conference we play...and we play them in their house

bench
August 4th, 2008, 11:46 PM
JMU is obviously App's most likely FCS loss, but which game do you pick - the first game, or the second one?

Between the expectations for both teams and playoff regionalization, the rematch is inevitable, and if either team falters to an at-large, it could be as early as the first round...again. So both teams are basically playing for home-field advantage and seeds in a potential rematch where the loser goes home. Be still, my bleeding ulcer

TheValleyRaider
August 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM
For Colgate:

Stony Brook
Coastal Carolina
Furman
Fordham
Cornell
Lehigh

I tried to rank them, but honestly, we could throw 10 of our games on there. The only 2 I'm 100% confident in winning are Dartmouth and Georgetown. Of course, Dartmouth was up 28-0 on us last year, and Georgetown very nearly beat the 2003 team, so really I'm not 100% confident about any of them

Beyond your list though, I'd add Holy Cross and Bucknell (their offense really seems to screw with us a bit)

I'd say Princeton, but I'm really not sure at all what to expect from them

Mustang Man
August 5th, 2008, 12:02 AM
1. @ Wisconsin
2. @ McNeese State
3. Montana
4. @ San Diego State
5. @ South Dakota State

2-4 are really close, very hard to pick which one will give us the biggest challenge.

Surprised to see some SDSU fans not putting the Cal Poly game as a possible loss.

uofmman1122
August 5th, 2008, 12:07 AM
JMU is obviously App's most likely FCS loss, but which game do you pick - the first game, or the second one?

Between the expectations for both teams and playoff regionalization, the rematch is inevitable, and if either team falters to an at-large, it could be as early as the first round...again. So both teams are basically playing for home-field advantage and seeds in a potential rematch where the loser goes home. Be still, my bleeding ulcerI'd imagine it might even end up like the Montana - Cal Poly games of 2005, or the Montana - SHSU games of 2004. Whoever wins that first game might end up the bigger loser come playoff time, if you play each other twice. xconfusedx

bench
August 5th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I'd imagine it might even end up like the Montana - Cal Poly games of 2005, or the Montana - SHSU games of 2004. Whoever wins that first game might end up the bigger loser come playoff time, if you play each other twice. xconfusedx

Exactly. It always seems when two evenly-matched teams play twice the team that loses the first game wins the second, but if App loses in Harrisonburg they're likely going back for round two. Hard to like their odds of taking the split. If JMU loses with their best shot at home and has to go to Boone for the playoffs, especially with the Ghosts of Fumbles Past still lingering about...that's a tough spot for anyone to be in.

I'm not much for App fan hyperbole, but this might wind up being the most important game of the year. All things being equal, the winner of the first game will have a decided advantage. If the fight goes two rounds, for once I think the winner in September will sweep, and I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

T-Dog
August 5th, 2008, 03:56 AM
That and A.Our offensive scheme changed from the past.
B. There were probably more Wofford fans in stadium than appy's used to (more noise when they have the ball).

C. The heat. xnodx

3. Appalachian State: with them in Statesboro, I like our chances of beating them more than I like our chances of beating The Citadel. They just can't seem to win in our stadium. Wofford and Furman both have more wins in our stadium than ASU does.

Except for the last time we played there (and no BVG excuses!) xnottalkingx

I think the top two are easy to pick. Everything else.....not so sure.

1. @ LSU (no question)
2. @ JMU (again, no question)
3. Elon (late in the season, conference title probably on the line)
4. @ GaSo (we never have had an easy day in Statesboro)
5. Furman (it's never easy with the Dins)
6. El Cit (El Cit is on the rise, but it's at home so yay us)
7. Wofford (Friday night under the lights should make this more likely a win)
8. @ WCU (With the Jug on the line, the Cats might put up a fight...maybe)
9. @ UTC (Potential pothole? They put up a fight last year, but we got some good Finley Stadium mojo)
10. @ Samford (reason it's not 12th is that it's in Birmingham.)
11. Jacksonville (the week after LSU so it's not last)
12. Presbyterian (the week after Jacksonville,, plus it's a night game, so yeah)

Deciding between Elon and @ GaSo was the most difficult for me. I took Elon because they're projected to be conference runner-up.

PaladinFan
August 5th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I agree that no one runs the table this year in the SoCon. The conference is better than it was last year and no team escaped with less than two losses.

jmc_jackrabbit
August 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM
1. @ Wisconsin
2. @ McNeese State
3. Montana
4. @ San Diego State
5. @ South Dakota State

2-4 are really close, very hard to pick which one will give us the biggest challenge.

Surprised to see some SDSU fans not putting the Cal Poly game as a possible loss.

Some SDSU fans? Two of us have posted (me and rjacks). I have Cal Poly as a possible loss, rjacks didn't. So it's "one" SDSU fan, not some.

AppAlum
August 5th, 2008, 08:10 AM
@ LSU
@ James Madison

I agree with this man

NDB
August 5th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Wyoming
UNI
Youngstown

Hoseinexile07
August 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
1. Appalachian: This game will be ugly. Ugly. xanim_chaix

2. Liberty: I don't think we can stop them, not even at home.xnonono2x

3. Wofford: Anything can happen here, especially being the first game of the season. App/Michigan, anyone? It would be that big for us were we to pull off the upset. I know Bentley has something special up his sleeve, and he'd better. I'm driving up from Florida for the game. xprayx

4. Elon: We could lose this one, but I think it could be close.xscanx

WrenFGun
August 5th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Games that UNH is not the favorite in:

1. Army (I know they're not great, but they are FBS...depth)
2. UMass (They own us, of late)
3. 'Nova (I really like them, and I'm not sure we can handle their athletic QB)

Games that UNH could have their usual brainfart in:
1. Northeastern (Two years in a row, we play them in NU, on HC)
2. W&M (Spoiled two perfect seasons in a row)
3. Maine (They owe us, badly...it's been rough on them late..in Maine)

Games that I would be upset if UNH lost:
1. Towson, at home
2. Hofstra, at home
3. URI, with a new coach
4. Dartmouth

The Cats
August 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
3. Wofford: Anything can happen here, especially being the first game of the season. App/Michigan, anyone? It would be that big for us were we to pull off the upset. I know Bentley has something special up his sleeve, and he'd better. I'm driving up from Florida for the game. xprayx

If you are driving up from Florida because you want to see a game, then do so..... but if you are driving up because you think PC will beat Wofford.... don't waste your time. No SoCon wins for PC this year.

Hoseinexile07
August 5th, 2008, 11:11 AM
We'll see about that on September 20th, Cats.

rjacks21
August 5th, 2008, 11:19 AM
1. @ Wisconsin
2. @ McNeese State
3. Montana
4. @ San Diego State
5. @ South Dakota State

I didn't list Cal Poly but it's definitely a game I'm worried about. It was a toss up between McNeese and Cal Poly for my fifth game listed.

SDSU has played pretty well at home the last few years so I gave just a slight edge to the Rabbits over the Mustangs. If the game was at Cal Poly, It would be towards the top of my list of likely losses.

skinny_uncle
August 5th, 2008, 11:36 AM
For SIU:

@ Northwestern
@ NDSU
(Probably at least one other MVFC game, although I hate to hazard a guess on which one. Someone other than Indiana State.)

trouthunter
August 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Have to agree that Cal Poly and E. Wash. will be tough for the 'Griz -- but it is interesting to see that fans from both schools also list the 'Griz as their potential loses as well.

trusty
August 5th, 2008, 12:37 PM
and the thread was suppose to be anti-homerism.xeyebrowx xrolleyesx

Woof
August 5th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Agreed with 1 and 2 (we usually play the Hillbillys tough, but they are still upset about the head to head loss and having to share the conf. title with last year, plus we lost a lot of umph on O from last year). I would put Elon at 3 (we have never defended the pass well and they sling it a lot); Citadel at 4 and FU/GSU tied for 5. I think we will take the 4, 5 and 6 games because we are in their heads a bit, but concede these games are probably a draw on paper. Lots of unknowns right now for us though.xconfusedx

3. Furman (until we beat them at home I'm not convinced)
4. Citadel (beating them 9 years straight, it'll be their Super Bowl)

OL FU
August 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Agreed with 1 and 2 (we usually play the Hillbillys tough, but they are still upset about the head to head loss and having to share the conf. title with last year, plus we lost a lot of umph on O from last year). I would put Elon at 3 (we have never defended the pass well and they sling it a lot); Citadel at 4 and FU/GSU tied for 5. I think we will take the 4, 5 and 6 games because we are in their heads a bit, but concede these games are probably a draw on paper. Lots of unknowns right now for us though.xconfusedx

And NAIA school in our headsxrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xlolx xsmiley_wix

jmc_jackrabbit
August 5th, 2008, 05:01 PM

I'll just add that I'm scared to death of Cal Poly this year. Dalley and Barden are unbelievable players. And if the Mustangs play anything like the kind of defense they've played in the past, they'll be a national title contender.

AppStsGr8
August 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM

Between the expectations for both teams and playoff regionalization, the rematch is inevitable, and if either team falters to an at-large, it could be as early as the first round...again. So both teams are basically playing for home-field advantage and seeds in a potential rematch where the loser goes home. Be still, my bleeding ulcer

I'd say App loses to LSU and possibly at JMU. The other game I don't like is Georgia Southern at Statesboro (with or without JF). App's playing with a giant target hanging front and back like a sandwich board. They'll have to play every game like the NC to get there.

Fordham
August 5th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Ouch, not much respect for HC.

Here are some likely losses:

UMASS, Yale, Colgate

Ouch, not much respect from HC.

Here's my take from toughest to least likely to lose. Yale seems to be the clear longshot for us, with all the others in play:

Yale
Colgate
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Rhode Island
Lehigh
Bucknell
Georgetown
Dayton
Columbia
Marist

crusader11
August 5th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Ouch, not much respect from HC.

Here's my take from toughest to least likely to lose. Yale seems to be the clear longshot for us, with all the others in play:

Yale
Colgate
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Rhode Island
Lehigh
Bucknell
Georgetown
Dayton
Columbia
Marist

Haha, you're right Fordham, I should have put you guys on the list, although I don't think it is a likely loss. Certainly a potential loss, but not as likely as UMASS, Yale, or Colgate.

The real team that is not getting respect here is Dayton. You have them below Georgetown. OUCH! Wait 'til DF gets wind of this...

Husky Alum
August 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM
NU's most likely losses to least likely

1. Ball State
2. Georgia Southern
3. Syracuse
4. UMass
5. William & Mary (just because we've never won down there)
6. UNH (it's homecoming, but they owe us...)
7. Davis
8. Towson
9. Maine
10. Hofstra
11. URI

Seawolf97
August 5th, 2008, 08:22 PM
For Stonybrook

Elon
Liberty
Coastal Carolina-this could go either way-I think we are even

MR. CHICKEN
August 5th, 2008, 08:40 PM
MARYLAND.........ORDERS UP...UH ELEVEN PIECE BUCKET!
JAMES MADISON......MICKEY GET REVENGE FO' LAST YEARS GIMME!
RICHMOND..........COACH LONDON KNOWS HIS X'S & O'S!
UMA$$.............MINUTEMEN SCORE EVERAH MINUTE OR SO!
'NOVA...ANDY'S CATS....BEAT US LAST YEAR..AN' WE WENT TA DUH FINALS!
HOFSTRA...........COHEN KNOWS KEELER.....LIKE FLYS KNOW....SH#T!
MAINE........DUH BEARS...GO HOME WHIFF FEATHERAHS IN DERE FUR!
ALBANY........'MEMBER WE LOST TO 'EM LAST TIME!
FURMAN........GETS DUH SOUTHERN HOME COOKIN'!
BILL & MARY........LAYCOCKE OWES KEELER....HE PAYS UP IN OCTOBER!
TOWSON........TIGERS RIP HENS....UH NEW.....EGG-HOLE!
WEST CHESTER.......DIS D-II FREE-BEE...COMES RIGHT AFTERAH....DUH MARYLAND TROUNCIN'.......WE BE SORE....AN' WHIPPED....LIKE UH TUB O' COUNTRY CROCK.......RAMS...JAM IT UP DUH BLUEHENS.....BUNKY!

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 5th, 2008, 09:10 PM
1 @ Houston
11 Mississippi Valley

everything else could possibly go either way.
If we lose to Valley, Pete should be fired on the spot. xlolx I don't think we are going to lose to Valley. tSU kinda scares me. Melvin Spears really knows Pete, and they have 50 some plus transfers, I believe.

Kanitapja
August 5th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Some SDSU fans? Two of us have posted (me and rjacks). I have Cal Poly as a possible loss, rjacks didn't. So it's "one" SDSU fan, not some.

As a Bison fan, I look at both teams with the same concern - I'd call it a tossup between the two.

Certain to be a good game. I'd pay good money to see bunnies and horsies play.

jimbo65
August 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Holy Cross (payback against us as the game is at Worcester)
Yale (would have ranked them most likely but we have them at home)
Lehigh Lafayette Colgate (We will lose to one of these three)
URI
Bucknell (payback time)
Columbia
Dayton (double payback time )
Georgetown
Marist

Final prediction, Tied as PL Champs with losses to Yale & Holy Cross, tiebreaker gives title to Holy Cross that also has two league losses. Alternative scenario is we beat Yale and do not lose another game except for HC and win tiebreaker for title.

TheValleyRaider
August 6th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Final prediction, Tied as PL Champs with losses to Yale & Holy Cross, tiebreaker gives title to Holy Cross that also has two league losses.

Speaking of candidates we'd love to see for Patriot League expansion ;) xlolx xlolx xlolx