PDA

View Full Version : First Day of Camp!

andy7171
August 4th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Man I remember checking in, seeing all your boys, getting all nervous before the weight room testing. Getting all your equipment and doing the running tests. I was completely prepared and ready, but still go all nervous and hyped the night before! Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it all, now 15 years later!

BTW, my senior year was the 25th anniversary team of Towson Football, we had really cool patches on our jerseys, I wonder if they'll do something this year, or wait for 50.

I have nightmares about the physical testing these days. :o

KAUMASS
August 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Same with me, except 18 years later...

Can't forget the smell of fresh cut grass every morning during stretching with the morning dew soaking your butt..(unless you practiced on turf, and you can have those burns from that turf era)

My take on two a days today is that we had it alot tougher years back. From what I've read, it seems rare today to see two full practices in a row during the same day with full pads.. Remember how heavy your legs felt?!

andy7171
August 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Same with me, except 18 years later...

Can't forget the smell of fresh cut grass every morning during stretching with the morning dew soaking your butt..(unless you practiced on turf, and you can have those burns from that turf era)

My take on two a days today is that we had it alot tougher years back. From what I've read, it seems rare today to see two full practices in a row during the same day with full pads.. Remember how heavy your legs felt?!

I'm not sure what the weather was where you went, but August in Maryland is hot and humid. We used to joke that the worst part of the day was breaking that first sweat while stretching before 9am. It just felt unnatural to be sweating like a pig before actually doing anything to cause it, ... plus it was 9am.

The only thing that could save us was our trainer who was pretty hardcore about heat stroke ... not that the coaches would care if we were in full pads or just helmets and shoudler pads.

KAUMASS
August 4th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure what the weather was where you went, but August in Maryland is hot and humid. We used to joke that the worst part of the day was breaking that first sweat while stretching before 9am. It just felt unnatural to be sweating like a pig before actually doing anything to cause it, ... plus it was 9am.

The only thing that could save us was our trainer who was pretty hardcore about heat stroke ... not that the coaches would care if we were in full pads or just helmets and shoudler pads.

August in Amherst, MA is usually pretty hot as well. We always had lots of fog during the morning, as the nights were usually very cool. The grass was always wet in the morning. Just as the first practice started, on cue, the haze and fog would burn off and the sun was brutal. One year, our coaches went bizerk and had us do conditioning "spot stations" right after stretching in the morning session. Our trainers looked the other way. Ah, memories...

andy7171
August 4th, 2008, 12:07 PM
August in Amherst, MA is usually pretty hot as well. We always had lots of fog during the morning, as the nights were usually very cool. The grass was always wet in the morning. Just as the first practice started, on cue, the haze and fog would burn off and the sun was brutal. One year, our coaches went bizerk and had us do conditioning "spot stations" right after stretching in the morning session. Our trainers looked the other way. Ah, memories...
Same weather in Maryland, 'cept it doesn't get cool at night.
And EVERYONE groaning when they first sat down in the grass!

The cool wet dew soaking your pants and the hot sweat dripping down your nose eyebrows and neck. Pure Misery. We lived similar lives my man! xthumbsupx

KAUMASS
August 4th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Same weather in Maryland, 'cept it doesn't get cool at night.
And EVERYONE groaning when they first sat down in the grass!

The cool wet dew soaking your pants and the hot sweat dripping down your nose eyebrows and neck. Pure Misery. We lived similar lives my man! xthumbsupx

Pure misery and aches and pains during camp and the regular season stretching b4 practice. I loved game day..wasn't it amazing how the pain or stiffness wasn't there during pregame stretch? About 2 hours after the game was a different story...but a few beers later no pain, especially if the chick you were trying to pick up wanted to dance!! Unless it was an away game with a long flight home or a long bus ride. The seats were always small and uncomfortable. It seemed you always had to take a dump during the ride home in that small bathroom area that you couldn't fit into.

Beer, after home games, great for hydrating your body just after dropping 10-15 pounds!! What were we thinking?

andy7171
August 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Pure misery and aches and pains during camp and the regular season stretching b4 practice. I loved game day..wasn't it amazing how the pain or stiffness wasn't there during pregame stretch? About 2 hours after the game was a different story...but a few beers later no pain, especially if the chick you were trying to pick up wanted to dance!! Unless it was an away game with a long flight home or a long bus ride. The seats were always small and uncomfortable. It seemed you always had to take a dump during the ride home in that small bathroom area that you couldn't fit into.

Beer, after home games, great for hydrating your body just after dropping 10-15 pounds!! What were we thinking?

Yes the combination of advil and gallons of beer made you for get all about the pain, but the next morning, you woke up wondering why the referees didn't see your man beating you with a baseball bat all game long. Ouch!

Towson is notoriously cheap, we only flew to Maine, Northeastern and Rhode Island. We even bussed to Buffalo! Coming back, at our dinner stop, we got out and booked to the liquor store. :D

CSUBUCDAD
August 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I thought football practice in the August sun was brutal. Then I joined the Navy......Buds.....6 months of pure hell a magnitude above anything you can imagine in a football uniform.