PDA

View Full Version : WCU to Unveil New Athletics Logo

The Cats
August 2nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Western Carolina to Unveil New Athletics Logo on August 13

Event to take place at 4:00 pm on Aug. 13 in the Ramsey Center

Aug. 2, 2008

Cullowhee, N.C. - In recognition of the 75th anniversary of the selection of the Catamount as the official mascot for Western Carolina University's intercollegiate sports teams, a new breed of cat will be on the prowl beginning this fall, with the university unveiling a fresh look for Catamount athletics on Wednesday, Aug. 13.

The "big reveal" of the 2008 version of the Catamount will begin at 4:00 pm in the main arena of the Ramsey Regional Activity Center. The event will include a fashion show of items adorned with the new Catamount logo, which is part of a multiyear branding initiative to better define the university's image and message.

As part of the athletics image update, Western also is reverting to original shades of its school colors of purple and gold, with a deeper purple and traditional gold replacing bright hues of purple and yellow used in recent years.

Western, which first began fielding sports teams called the Catamounts in 1933, is one of only two universities in the nation that use the name. The other is the University of Vermont.

The "big reveal" of Western's new-look Catamount is open to the public and is free of charge. For more information about the Aug. 13 event, contact Amber McKendrick at (828) 227-2293 or [email protected].

catamount man
August 2nd, 2008, 11:45 AM
Western Carolina to Unveil New Athletics Logo on August 13

Event to take place at 4:00 pm on Aug. 13 in the Ramsey Center

Aug. 2, 2008

Cullowhee, N.C. - In recognition of the 75th anniversary of the selection of the Catamount as the official mascot for Western Carolina University's intercollegiate sports teams, a new breed of cat will be on the prowl beginning this fall, with the university unveiling a fresh look for Catamount athletics on Wednesday, Aug. 13.

The "big reveal" of the 2008 version of the Catamount will begin at 4:00 pm in the main arena of the Ramsey Regional Activity Center. The event will include a fashion show of items adorned with the new Catamount logo, which is part of a multiyear branding initiative to better define the university's image and message.

As part of the athletics image update, Western also is reverting to original shades of its school colors of purple and gold, with a deeper purple and traditional gold replacing bright hues of purple and yellow used in recent years.

Western, which first began fielding sports teams called the Catamounts in 1933, is one of only two universities in the nation that use the name. The other is the University of Vermont.

The "big reveal" of Western's new-look Catamount is open to the public and is free of charge. For more information about the Aug. 13 event, contact Amber McKendrick at (828) 227-2293 or [email protected].

Back to the old purple and gold. You can bet Bob Waters is smiling BIG!!!!!!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

APPALACHIANstate
August 2nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Hollywoodmvp/wcuhelmet.jpg

The Cats
August 2nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
don't you just love asu humor ????? xthumbsdownx

catamount man
August 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM

wrong again Billy Sunday.

See my avatar. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

WCU LawCat
August 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM

That is funny.

appstate38
August 2nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Make sure you guys post plenty of pics for the big reveal....

P.S. the big eyed cat is funny!

Tod
August 2nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Sounds great and like a big grab for the gold!! Keep it up. All the best to WCU!

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

catamount man
August 3rd, 2008, 06:55 AM
Sounds great and like a big grab for the gold!! Keep it up. All the best to WCU!

Thanks bro. Good luck to the griz again.

The Cats
August 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM
now on the athletic web site......

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/wcar/graphics/auto/BigReveal2008.gif

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/genrel/auto_pdf/BigReveal2008.pdf

http://catamountsports.cstv.com/

APPStrongNC
August 6th, 2008, 12:39 PM
looking forward to it guys. Hope the new cat looks like a killer :)

WCUFLALUM
August 8th, 2008, 12:05 AM
It has been posted on The Catamount Pride MB.....the new helmet is going to be gold with the new logo. Can't wait to see it. I think they'll look great. Anything is an improvement over the current helmet.GO CATAMOUNTS!!

catamount man
August 8th, 2008, 06:51 AM
It has been posted on The Catamount Pride MB.....the new helmet is going to be gold with the new logo. Can't wait to see it. I think they'll look great. Anything is an improvement over the current helmet.GO CATAMOUNTS!!

I would agree!!!!!!!!!!! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

appfan2008
August 8th, 2008, 07:46 AM
good luck to you guys hope you like the change

Killtoppers90
August 8th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I have a question for you WCU folks out there. Why would WCU schedule Open House visits for HS seniors when there are NO football games going on? Wouldn't it make sense to have a game going on so the potential students can see how fun the games are and how the student body supports the team?

WCUFLALUM
August 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I don't have any information on the decision but, I know the enviroment at football games hasn't been much of a recruiting tool. We are hoping for things to change with the development of a real program.

Appaholic
August 8th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I have a question for you WCU folks out there. Why would WCU schedule Open House visits for HS seniors when there are NO football games going on? Wouldn't it make sense to have a game going on so the potential students can see how fun the games are and how the student body supports the team?

They usually transmit the App Home Games via satellite to cullowheeeeeee......

And they use surround sound to help out the illusion.....xwhistlex

GreatAppSt
August 8th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Isn't calling it the http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/wcar/graphics/auto/BigReveal2008.gif well, kind of misleading? I mean this is WCU they're talking about.xeyebrowx How big can it be? meh.xoopsx

j/k looks promising to bring some excitement back to the whee.

furman94
August 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Get in the 'Whee!

WCU LawCat
August 8th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Western Carolina is celebrating the beginning of a new revamped era/program. Kiss our arse! Laugh now while you can and make sure you keep the Windex near your rear view mirrors! xnodx

ASUMountaineer
August 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Western Carolina is celebrating the beginning of a new revamped era/program. Kiss our arse! Laugh now while you can and make sure you keep the Windex near your rear view mirrors! xnodx

We'll keep the windex near for our rear view mirrors to keep an eye on this http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/jug.jpg in the back seat. xnodx

mountain_man
August 8th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Why do we need to look back when we know you'll always be behind us?

I think I'll use mine for this...

http://bp2.blogger.com/_8M4A38LyBBs/SIpQ3QOFW0I/AAAAAAAAAXQ/GzZ-e4Gqxkc/s400/6.jpg

Appaholic
August 8th, 2008, 03:31 PM

We're tired of laughing......now we just pity.....xsmhx

APPALACHIANstate
August 8th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Hey it is great to see all the WCU Appalachian Jr.s so excited.

Good Luck!

catamount man
August 8th, 2008, 07:14 PM
They usually transmit the App Home Games via satellite to cullowheeeeeee......

And they use surround sound to help out the illusion.....xwhistlex

Keep this up and when you call, it will always "be a bad time to talk".

catamount man
August 8th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I for one am glad to see the smack talk begin again between ASU and WCU because it helps erase any good will that I may have gained for ASU's run the last 3 years. I needed to be reminded of why I hate you guys and thank you for granting that wish. APP SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GreatAppSt
August 8th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I for one am glad to see the smack talk begin again between ASU and WCU because it helps erase any good will that I may have gained for ASU's run the last 3 years. I needed to be reminded of why I hate you guys and thank you for granting that wish. APP SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No prob.:p

proasu89
August 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM

xoutofrepx

WCU LawCat
August 8th, 2008, 11:17 PM
By the way...Cherokee walk-on Langston Wood saw the light and changed his pledge from App to Western. Score one for the good guys.

ASUMountaineer
August 9th, 2008, 05:32 AM
By the way...Cherokee walk-on Langston Wood saw the light and changed his pledge from App to Western. Score one for the good guys.

I probably would too if I could go from third string to starter. xlolx

Actually, I hope he does well. You have to go where you're more comfortable and if he's from Cherokee (I'm assuming based on your message) he'll be closer to home. Best of luck to him.

catamount man
August 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Langston Wood will BRING the wood. Have no doubts!!! xthumbsupx

furman94
August 9th, 2008, 03:18 PM

I'm loving that sig pic!

WCU LawCat
August 10th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I'm loving that sig pic!

I like it too. That Smokey Mountain dew in the air brings back memories.

WCU LawCat
August 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Langston Wood will BRING the wood. Have no doubts!!! xthumbsupx

Langston has some work to do if he is going to break the two deep. There are a ton of new DB's and a few "returning starters" to contend with. I hope he works hard and sticks with it. Hard for walk-ons to keep focus sometimes.

appstate38
August 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Tomorrow is the big reveal.... Are you Cats ready???

furman94
August 12th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Ohh! Ahhh!

The Cats
August 12th, 2008, 10:02 AM

What do you think?

catamount man
August 12th, 2008, 07:23 PM

I will give you major props for being first class unlike your Boone brethren who feel they have to interject something with every post that gets posted on the Catamount Pride message board.

I'm about fed up with it too. Again, props to you and I got the logos emailed to me back in June so I already have the logos on paper, but yes, it will be exciting. It will be even more exciting when the winning starts. xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Appaholic
August 12th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I will give you major props for being first class unlike your Boone brethren who feel they have to interject something with every post that gets posted on the Catamount Pride message board.

I'm about fed up with it too. Again, props to you and I got the logos emailed to me back in June so I already have the logos on paper, but yes, it will be exciting. It will be even more exciting when the winning starts. xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Hey CM.....you guys sticking with pants? or will skirts allow more freedom of movement for your players.......at least ya'll got rid of the high heels......really affected your receivers' routes I would imagine....xwhistlex

catamount man
August 12th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Hey CM.....you guys sticking with pants? or will skirts allow more freedom of movement for your players.......at least ya'll got rid of the high heels......really affected your receivers' routes I would imagine....xwhistlex

Coming from you, I have neither the energy nor valuable time to reply with a rebuttal. ****snard! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xlolx

The Cats
August 12th, 2008, 11:09 PM

Remember that arrogance thing........ it truly does come back to bite you in the a$$.

Western may not be the one to do it, but I imagine THIS is the year the mountaineers get knocked off their high horse……. by LSU, by JMU, by at least two or three SoCon teams…… No only will you NOT win a forth NC, you might not even make the playoffs.

ASUMountaineer
August 13th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Remember that arrogance thing........ it truly does come back to bite you in the a$$.

Western may not be the one to do it, but I imagine THIS is the year the mountaineers get knocked off their high horse……. by LSU, by JMU, by at least two or three SoCon teams…… No only will you NOT win a forth NC, you might not even make the playoffs.

That's a bold statement, I'm not going to guarantee that ASU wins the NC, but I'm not sure I'd predict 4 -5 losses either. Again, it could happen, but winning the NC could happen too. Appaholic is just making a joke, he's not trying to be an arrogant pr!ck, he just comes off that way sometimes xsmiley_wix . You sound pretty confident that THIS is the year, sounds familiar, like we heard the same thing last year.

Appguy
August 13th, 2008, 07:49 AM
as long as we get the "the jug" it will all be OK!

Appaholic
August 13th, 2008, 09:07 AM

You're taking me way to seriously.........I'm responding to CM, some one who's chain I like to yank from time-to-time and I expect the same from him....lighten up.....xpeacex

appfan2008
August 13th, 2008, 10:16 AM
what time is the big announcement?

Skjellyfetti
August 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM
what time is the big announcement?

4 pm I believe.

appfan2008
August 13th, 2008, 10:23 AM
good luck and i hope all you wcu fans like the unveiling

Appaholic
August 13th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Actually, someone just posted a link to a sneak peek of new uniforms with logos....kind of cool.....

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh182/appaholic/2008_WCU_uniforms.jpg

....especially like the return to the "old" purple.....looks flashier...

mountain_man
August 13th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Actually, someone just posted a link to a sneak peek of new uniforms with logos....kind of cool.....

xoutofrepx

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there...

ASU88
August 13th, 2008, 02:21 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Oh God, I'm dyin' here!!

xlolx xlolx

Mountaineer
August 13th, 2008, 02:26 PM
The logo posted on the MMB. xlolx

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/440/foiled5yd8.png

Woof
August 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
That's hilarious !....but, seriously, how would we ever be able to tell them apart from the Furples...xlolx xlolx xlolx

furman94
August 13th, 2008, 02:37 PM

xoutofrepx

Appaholic
August 13th, 2008, 03:20 PM
It's 4:20.....the silence is deafening.....xbawlingx

WCU LawCat
August 13th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Nothing has been updated. There was a lot going on with the "reveal." It is still probably going on. When they end the function I'm sure they will be slinging out photos left and right.

catamount man
August 13th, 2008, 03:31 PM
The event is also geared towards one singular logo for the entire university, not just athletics. I am glad some of you find this amusing but it won't be when Wagner starts kicking your sorry ass on a permanent basis. You've been warned! xmadx xmadx xmadx

ASUMountaineer
August 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM
The event is also geared towards one singular logo for the entire university, not just athletics. I am glad some of you find this amusing but it won't be when Wagner starts kicking your sorry ass on a permanent basis. You've been warned! xmadx xmadx xmadx

CM, you know your my political boy, but I had to. Do you mean he'll be kicking out sorry arses the way Bob Barr is going to kick Obama and McCain's (you know I hope he does). xnodx

I'll believe that when you guys win 21 out of 23 jugs.

Appaholic
August 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I am glad some of you find this amusing but it won't be when Wagner starts kicking your sorry ass on a permanent basis. You've been warned! xmadx xmadx xmadx

ummmmm.....you're on the wrong thread......let me help you...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45426

ASU88
August 13th, 2008, 03:40 PM

I'm happy for Western to be getting a new coach, new logo, fresh start, etc. I hope it doesn't take long for the program to improve, too. Honestly. Good, competitive football teams in the SoCon benefit each team in the conference.xthumbsupx

But ... we gots to have a little fun here. Try to keep your blood pressure in check.

Appaholic
August 13th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Nothing has changed. There was a lot smoke and mirrors on their message board. It is still probably going on. When they take the field, I'm sure they will be slinging out interceptions and missed tackles left and right as usual.

let me help you out there.....accuracy......

WCU LawCat
August 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM
It is the passionate crazed fans that get to him...we have heard from several of those type App fans lately over on the Pride and even some here. "The Cats" loves to get fired up over stuff from the Apps as well.

catamount man
August 13th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Here it is and what I've been saying all along for the last 2 months, SEE MY AVATAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it. Now let the a-hole express jump on board.

http://www.wcu.edu/10007.asp

ASU88
August 13th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Looks good. Nice logo.

The Moody1
August 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I am glad some of you find this amusing but it won't be when Wagner starts kicking your sorry ass on a permanent basis. You've been warned! xmadx xmadx xmadx

This is one of the funniest posts I have read in a long time.:D :D :D :D :D

GreatAppSt
August 13th, 2008, 05:26 PM
1989 I am glad some of you find this amusing but it won't be when Strahm, 3-7 starts kicking your sorry ass on a permanent basis. You've been warned! xmadx xmadx xmadx

1990 . I am glad some of you find this amusing but it won't be when Hodgin, 31-66 starts kicking your sorry ass on a permanent basis. You've been warned! xmadx xmadx xmadx

1997 I am glad some of you find this amusing but it won't be when Bliel, 27-32 starts kicking your sorry ass on a permanent basis. You've been warned! xmadx xmadx xmadx

2002 I am glad some of you find this amusing but it won't be when Briggs, 22-43 starts kicking your sorry ass on a permanent basis. You've been warned! xmadx xmadx xmadx

2008 I am glad some of you find this amusing but it won't be when Wagner ??? starts kicking your sorry ass on a permanent basis. You've been warned! xmadx xmadx xmadx

xcoffeex You've been saying?xeyebrowx xlolx

WCU LawCat
August 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Those coaches didn't have the funding or commitment from the administration. That's is all I will say. I'm ready to watch Wagner's first team suprise some people.

APPALACHIANstate
August 13th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Those coaches didn't have the funding or commitment from the administration. That's is all I will say. I'm ready to watch Wagner's first team suprise some people.

Hopefully not you as optimistic as you are...xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

WCU LawCat
August 13th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Hopefully not you as optimistic as you are...xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Trust me I'm not the only one. No way we lose 9+ games. No way we finish 8th

catamount man
August 13th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Trust me I'm not the only one. No way we lose 9+ games. No way we finish 8th

If you have the image of the gold helmet with the cat head on it, go ahead and update your avatar. They unveiled them today in Cullowhee.

WCU LawCat
August 13th, 2008, 06:53 PM
yeah i'm working on it

ronpayne
August 13th, 2008, 06:57 PM

Should this be moved to the "most delusional fan base" thread????

xrotatehx

catamount man
August 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM
yeah i'm working on it

Looks sweet. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

catamount man
August 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Should this be moved to the "most delusional fan base" thread????

xrotatehx

Right beside the apps "we'd dominate the ACC" posts. xthumbsupx

Libertine
August 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Do the people at The Simpsons know you borrowed the Springfield Elementary puma as your new logo?

ronpayne
August 13th, 2008, 07:05 PM
By the way though, nice new logo. And I hope you actually do well this season - 3 of my former students (former drum majors actually) are in the Catamount Band. (Except of course when we play you!)

appstate38
August 13th, 2008, 07:12 PM
If you have the image of the gold helmet with the cat head on it, go ahead and update your avatar. They unveiled them today in Cullowhee.

Got any pics of the new uniforms and helmet or will it be released on the WCU website? Either way looks good!xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
August 13th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I'm ready to watch Wagner's first team suprise some people.

OK, I'll be the first to say, I wish WCU well. You got a nice new logo (I think, although I have not seen it) & You got a gung-ho new coach. A while back there has been football tradition there. I really hope you can make the WCU/ASU game more of a rivalry.

However, you simply cannot rebuild a team from the ground up & expect to do much in the SoCon in the first year. Give him at least five years before you go head hunting again. Be patient. I would imagine your new coach will be surprised about some things too - like how good Elon is, not to mention Appalachian.

One word of advice: Wagner needs to learn to pronounce Appalachian if he does not want to stay bulletin board material for a LLOONNGG time.

WCU LawCat
August 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM
OK, I'll be the first to say, I wish WCU well. You got a nice new logo (I think, although I have not seen it) & You got a gung-ho new coach. A while back there has been football tradition there. I really hope you can make the WCU/ASU game more of a rivalry.

However, you simply cannot rebuild a team from the ground up & expect to do much in the SoCon in the first year. Give him at least five years before you go head hunting again. Be patient. I would imagine your new coach will be surprised about some things too - like how good Elon is, not to mention Appalachian.

One word of advice: Wagner needs to learn to pronounce Appalachian if he does not want to stay bulletin board material for a LLOONNGG time.

He isn't "bulletin board material" except with a number of App fans who act like he killed the family dog when he pronounced Appalachain "wrong." Please let it go. I actually thought all of that crap had passed.

james_lawfirm
August 13th, 2008, 08:53 PM
He isn't "bulletin board material" except with a number of App fans who act like he killed the family dog when he pronounced Appalachain "wrong." Please let it go. I actually thought all of that crap had passed.

'parntly not.

I was justly offering some friendly advice. Spelling it wrong is one thing (it's "chian") - after all, it is a dull mind that can only spell a word one way - but pronouncing it wrong (and if you don't pronounce it like the natives & students do, it's wrong) shows either a lack of intelligence or that he's trying to pick a fight.

You can tell me to let it go all you want, but if your new coach keeps it up, it won't.

HiHiYikas
August 13th, 2008, 08:55 PM
First, let me say I really like the new logo. Honestly I do. I know from logo design, and this is one of the good ones.

My only problem is that this isn't a catamount. I'm pretty sure it's not even feline. I've been examining photos of cougars, panthers, lynxes, bobcats, etc. to try to find one with a pronounced beard, a rectangular nose, a bushy snout, short crescent ears, or the ability to open its mouth into the shape of a kidney bean as if it were barking.

Judging from the facial features, it's some kind of black bear/silky terrier hybrid. It looks much more canine than feline to me.

Here's a picture as a reference.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/5960/bobcat1.jpg

Anyway, I usually like to comment on logos, since it was sorta my livelihood for a while. I think I can see what this designer was trying to do, and I think I understand that an anatomically accurate catamount might not make a very interesting logo. Ideally, a logo can have both style and accuracy. But when you're faced with the choice, I think style is the right way to go. In other words, this designer did a good job.

And I especially like the blocky WCU lettering. It's refreshing to see a college go with classic collegiate lettering every once in a while. Sometimes people intentionally do anything but what's natural and familiar for novelty's sake. I'm glad that's not happening here.

I guess this is similar to the issue ASU folks raise with the new Yosef logo. It's a very good design, but it it's more longshoreman than mountaineer. I generally disagree with that assessment, although I can see the point.

catamount man
August 13th, 2008, 09:07 PM

You're gonna need to update your avatar my friend, but just slightly. Here's what a WCU alum who went to the event sent me.

"Then...............The Helmet (I got to hold it). If anyone don't like or critizes this helmet your Catamount blood runs very thin. It is GOLD (Coach Wagner says Notre Dame Gold - or old gold) with cat logo on each side - A purple strip down the middle with two pointed strips on either side. Purple face mask. I think it is the best helmet Western has ever had. All the players I talked to love it. No new uniforms yet. Coach said they are going to be rather plain - no names - not alot of trim. Sort of a smash mouth type uniform. A working mans type uni."

I'm sure it'll be posted on the official WCU website soon. xthumbsupx

WCU LawCat
August 13th, 2008, 09:09 PM
'parntly not.

I was justly offering some friendly advice. Spelling it wrong is one thing (it's "chian") - after all, it is a dull mind that can only spell a word one way - but pronouncing it wrong (and if you don't pronounce it like the natives & students do, it's wrong) shows either a lack of intelligence or that he's trying to pick a fight.

You can tell me to let it go all you want, but if your new coach keeps it up, it won't.

I hope Les Miles mispronounces Appalachian. That would be funny. Good luck this year to Appalachian xrolleyesx

WCU LawCat
August 13th, 2008, 09:10 PM
You're gonna need to update your avatar my friend, but just slightly. Here's what a WCU alum who went to the event sent me.

"Then...............The Helmet (I got to hold it). If anyone don't like or critizes this helmet your Catamount blood runs very thin. It is GOLD (Coach Wagner says Notre Dame Gold - or old gold) with cat logo on each side - A purple strip down the middle with two pointed strips on either side. Purple face mask. I think it is the best helmet Western has ever had. All the players I talked to love it. No new uniforms yet. Coach said they are going to be rather plain - no names - not alot of trim. Sort of a smash mouth type uniform. A working mans type uni."

I'm sure it'll be posted on the official WCU website soon. xthumbsupx

After Hooker gets some sleep i'm sure.

IndianaAppMan
August 13th, 2008, 09:12 PM
reminds me of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

I like it!

catamount man
August 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM
After Hooker gets some sleep i'm sure.

I'm sure Hook-man is watching the backs of his eyelids even as I type this. Knowing him though, he's still at work burning the midnight Cullowhee oil. LOL!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCUFLALUM
August 13th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I wonder when someone from the University is going to post a picture of the new Helmet? I can't believe something has been posted yet.

catamount man
August 13th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I wonder when someone from the University is going to post a picture of the new Helmet? I can't believe something has been posted yet.

"All we need is just a little patience..."- G'n'R, 1989

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Just ragging ya. I'm sure tomorrow they'll show it............I hope.

bench
August 13th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Jeez, a little logo reboot and the 'Cats are getting all feisty on us.

Not a bad look, though. Damn sight better than some of the Arena League designs they've went through recently.

WCUFLALUM
August 13th, 2008, 09:58 PM
"All we need is just a little patience..."- G'n'R, 1989

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Just ragging ya. I'm sure tomorrow they'll show it............I hope.

I know.... I know..... Just impatient. I hate the previous helmet design sooo much I just can't wait to see the new look. I love changing the color to gold.

The Cats
August 13th, 2008, 11:16 PM
'parntly not.

Give it up dude.... he pronounced the word the SAME way as 85% of the rest of the country does.

He did not pronounce it wrong, there is not a lack of intelligence, nor was he trying to pick a fight. The only fans trying to PICK A FIGHT was the boys from boone !!!!!!!!!

The Cats
August 13th, 2008, 11:22 PM
First, let me say I really like the new logo. Honestly I do. I know from logo design, and this is one of the good ones.

My only problem is that this isn't a catamount. I'm pretty sure it's not even feline. I've been examining photos of cougars, panthers, lynxes, bobcats, etc. to try to find one with a pronounced beard, a rectangular nose, a bushy snout, short crescent ears, or the ability to open its mouth into the shape of a kidney bean as if it were barking.

Judging from the facial features, it's some kind of black bear/silky terrier hybrid. It looks much more canine than feline to me.

Here's a picture as a reference.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/5960/bobcat1.jpg

Anyway, I usually like to comment on logos, since it was sorta my livelihood for a while. I think I can see what this designer was trying to do, and I think I understand that an anatomically accurate catamount might not make a very interesting logo. Ideally, a logo can have both style and accuracy. But when you're faced with the choice, I think style is the right way to go. In other words, this designer did a good job.

And I especially like the blocky WCU lettering. It's refreshing to see a college go with classic collegiate lettering every once in a while. Sometimes people intentionally do anything but what's natural and familiar for novelty's sake. I'm glad that's not happening here.

I guess this is similar to the issue ASU folks raise with the new Yosef logo. It's a very good design, but it it's more longshoreman than mountaineer. I generally disagree with that assessment, although I can see the point.

Thanks for your expert opinion and for you taking the time to enlighten us backwoods buffoons from the sticks with your superior knowledge of athletic logos…..

We'll file it in the same circular file where we place the rest of the opinions expressed here and on the Catamount Pride board from mountaineer fans!!!!!!

Mountaineer
August 13th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks for your expert opinion and for you taking the time to enlighten us backwoods buffoons from the sticks with your superior knowledge of athletic logs…..

We'll file it in the same circular file where we place the rest of the opinions expressed here and on the Catamount Pride board from mountaineer fans!!!!!!

xlolx

He was paying you guys a compliment. Christ, lighten up girls and realize not everyone is trying to get a dig in. xthumbsupx

The Cats
August 13th, 2008, 11:31 PM
xlolx

He was paying you guys a compliment. Christ, lighten up girls and realize not everyone is trying to get a dig in. xthumbsupx

No boone fan pays a compliment to Western Carolina. No matter the subject, it's always either pure smack or a back handed compliment.

If you don't like that, try reading every thread on this board from an app fan that discusses WCU - from the prospective of a Catamount fan - see how many compliments you find.

ASUMountaineer
August 14th, 2008, 07:05 AM
No boone fan pays a compliment to Western Carolina. No matter the subject, it's always either pure smack or a back handed compliment.

If you don't like that, try reading every thread on this board from an app fan that discusses WCU - from the prospective of a Catamount fan - see how many compliments you find.

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Good Lord, Nancy.

ASUMountaineer
August 14th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Give it up dude.... he pronounced the word the SAME way as 85% of the rest of the country does.

He did not pronounce it wrong, there is not a lack of intelligence, nor was he trying to pick a fight. The only fans trying to PICK A FIGHT was the boys from boone !!!!!!!!!

Good thing I don't live in California. I could care less how the "rest of the country" pronounces it. If he is going to live in this region, he needs to pronounce it like everyone else. If not, then it will be mentioned. He probably doesn't have a lack of intelligence, and he probably isn't trying to pick a fight, he probably just didn't do his homework...hope that's not what happens in game planning.

HiHiYikas
August 14th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I was afraid someone would misinterpret my comments as insulting. Honestly, I don't intend any offense. And I'm certainly not trying to "enlighten" anybody.

WCU graduates quality Art and Design students, just like ASU. I know and have worked with several of them.

I was neither trying to demean nor compliment the new logo. I was really just trying to give an honest critique. As I said repeatedly, It's a very good logo, and I like it.

I'll be the first to admit that, for someone who posts a fair amount on a football message board, I'm not a football expert. Still, I enjoy talking about it.

Design has been my trade, though. So I always like to comment when teams unveil new logos or uniforms or anything like that.

ASU88
August 14th, 2008, 07:16 AM

Where are the smack or back-handed compliments in the quotes below?

Looks good. Nice logo.

reminds me of the Jacksonville Jaguars.
I like it!

Now if Indiana had said something like: "I like it. It looks like the design of a team that could hold us to less than 79 points" well then you've got your backhanded compliment right there and I could agree with your statement. But to just say "No boone fan pays a compliment to Western Carolina" is simply not true.

What's a "boone fan" anyway? :)

APPStrongNC
August 14th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Love the new logo cats. My brother went to WCU early 90's so we have nice talks about the two schools.
Anyway, the cat look mean. Good luck this year.
No smack here..........

Appaholic
August 14th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Got any pics of the new uniforms and helmet or will it be released on the WCU website? Either way looks good!xthumbsupx

Thought you saw it in my earlier post, but here it is again........

WCU LawCat
August 14th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks for your expert opinion and for you taking the time to enlighten us backwoods buffoons from the sticks with your superior knowledge of athletic logos…..

Cats, Chill out dude. CHILL. Stop taking everything (including this post) personal. I don't see this App fans post as being negative in any way. Hate ASU all you want. Trust me I'll never fault any Catamount that dislikes App. But you gotta chill out sometimes. This is not a stab. Just relax a little. You get fired up at everything. If you see something that you feel badmouths Western try to respond in a manor that shows higher class than your "opponent." Don't stoop to someone else level. xpeacex

Appaholic
August 14th, 2008, 08:05 AM

You're right....we don't......WCU hasn't earned a fokking compliment....you've taken a decent rivalry and made it into a laughingstock by merely walking on the field and strapping your helmet on.....you think a logo is going to make a difference?

Hey Lamont, you think you can duck the cellar just by the addition of Samford?

So, I'll not mince words and do the "politically correct" thing.....your logo is amateur and your football team less....what do you care if we pay you a compliment, it's a rivalry (supposedly)....act accordingly.....

Appaholic
August 14th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Cats, Chill out dude. CHILL. Stop taking everything (including this post) personal. I don't see this App fans post as being negative in any way. Hate ASU all you want. Trust me I'll never fault any Catamount that dislikes App. But you gotta chill out sometimes. This is not a stab. Just relax a little. You get fired up at everything. If you see something that you feel badmouths Western try to respond in a manor that shows higher class than your "opponent." Don't stoop to someone else level. xpeacex

Exactly....see my post....that's stooping....

appfan2008
August 14th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I think the new logo looks nice...

The Cats
August 14th, 2008, 08:13 AM
....what do you care if we pay you a compliment, it's a rivalry (supposedly)....act accordingly.....

We didn't ask for a compliment, and certainly don't desire one from a focking boone fan. My advice to you and your team..... just stay home on Nov. 22.

The Cats
August 14th, 2008, 08:15 AM
What's a "boone fan" anyway? :)

putting that asu degree to good use I see !!!!!!

Appstate29
August 14th, 2008, 08:21 AM

that logo sucks, just like your program. Everyone here will remember the big talk from CCC when ASU stuffs you in the ground AGAIN this year. I want to hit the century mark this time.

You can file this one away in your file cabinet too.

james_lawfirm
August 14th, 2008, 08:28 AM

That's got to be the stupidest post ever uttered.

Mountaineer
August 14th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I see The Cats subscribes to:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2284/itgquarterlynl3.jpg

xlolx

appfan2008
August 14th, 2008, 08:36 AM
why all the hate at wcu?

why rain on their parade?

we are a better football team/program!

we are are a higher ranked school academically!

we have prettier mountains (debateable)!

we have a prettier campus!

we have a better school period!

we dont like them!

they just announced something that is pretty cool for them and I think we should respect that...

whether we like their logo or not they do and we should applaud them for trying...

yes we are going to kick their ass in november like we almost always do but for right now i say nice new logo... we will see you on the field

Eaglesrus
August 14th, 2008, 08:38 AM
xpopcornx Gotta love in-state rivalries!

ASU88
August 14th, 2008, 08:46 AM
xpopcornx Gotta love in-state rivalries!
Rivalries are great.

Bitterness tends to be ugly (if understandable.)

The Cats
August 14th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I see The Cats subscribes to:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2284/itgquarterlynl3.jpg

xlolx

Never heard of it before.....

but you obviously subscribe to the theory of accusing us first…… before you guys are caught doing reading it....... xthumbsupx xrulesx

Mountaineer
August 14th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Never heard of it before.....

but you obviously subscribe to the theory of accusing us first…… before you guys are caught doing reading it....... xthumbsupx xrulesx

Really? I haven't seen any of our guys say something as ridiculous as this:

My advice to you and your team..... just stay home on Nov. 22.

I bet you were puffing up at the keyboard while typing it too. xlolx xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 14th, 2008, 08:58 AM
that logo sucks, just like your program. Everyone here will remember the big talk from CCC when ASU stuffs you in the ground AGAIN this year. I want to hit the century mark this time.

You can file this one away in your file cabinet too.

I don't know if this is serious or just good-natured smack, but I look at Wagner's bio and I see a winner that is a proven head coach. From the Catamount athletics site...

A native of Waverly, Iowa, Wagner was the head coach at Wayne (Neb.) State from 1989 to 1996, leading the Wildcats to a 44-37-1 record while guiding the team from NAIA to NCAA Division II classification. He quickly turned around a program which had lost 12-consecutive games just prior to his arrival and had only won two of its last 29 games overall. For his efforts, Wagner was inducted into the Wayne State College Hall of Fame in 2005 and was twice named the Nebraska Coach of the Year by the Omaha World-Herald in 1990 and 1993.

In his last four seasons at Wayne State, the Wildcats finished no lower than third nationally in total offense, leading the nation with 581.5 yards per game in 1993.

Looks like he took a losing NAIA and made them into a consistant winning season team in a major DII conference. And he definitly seems to know what he is doing on offense. I'm not saying that Western will be a playoff team this year, but I really don't think you will beat them by more than 44 this year or go over 100 points, and I don't think anyone else in the conference will, either.

Hold on to your butts, SoCon'ers. The competition in the conference is rapidly getting tighter.

Appaholic
August 14th, 2008, 09:01 AM
We didn't ask for a compliment, and certainly don't desire one from a focking boone fan. My advice to you and your team..... just stay home on Nov. 22.

Oh my......just what color is the in your little world, young kitty litter? Either need to stop the meds or increase them..........here's a riddle from another thread.....

Two teams meet on the football field. Which one loses?

Western.......everytime....xlolx

james_lawfirm
August 14th, 2008, 09:10 AM
why all the hate at wcu?

why rain on their parade?

we are a better football team/program!

we are are a higher ranked school academically!

we have prettier mountains (debateable)!

we have a prettier campus!

we have a better school period!

we dont like them!

they just announced something that is pretty cool for them and I think we should respect that...

whether we like their logo or not they do and we should applaud them for trying...

yes we are going to kick their ass in november like we almost always do but for right now i say nice new logo... we will see you on the field

OK, Mr. Mediator-person. You're right. I promise never to diss West. Carolina ever again. Promise.

I did like the part about getting to kick their a$$ again in Nov.

MountainMan
August 14th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I have mixed feelings when it comes to the new logo for WCU. I like the fact they went back to old gold in the logo and on the helmets, but the logo just doesn't look like a catamount to me. Looks more like a lion than a catamount. I don't mean this as a slam on Western just an opinion.

Something about it reminds me of the old cartoon Thunder Cats....

The Cats
August 14th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Really? I haven't seen any of our guys say something as ridiculous as this:

My advice to you and your team..... just stay home on Nov. 22.

I bet you were puffing up at the keyboard while typing it too. xlolx xlolx

no, it wasn't a warning, just advice..... to listen to you guys talk, the game is already won, not worth your time and effort to come to Cullowhee this year !!!!! xwhistlex xwhistlex

WCU LawCat
August 14th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I don't know if this is serious or just good-natured smack, but I look at Wagner's bio and I see a winner that is a proven head coach. From the Catamount athletics site...

Looks like he took a losing NAIA and made them into a consistant winning season team in a major DII conference. And he definitly seems to know what he is doing on offense. I'm not saying that Western will be a playoff team this year, but I really don't think you will beat them by more than 44 this year or go over 100 points, and I don't think anyone else in the conference will, either.

Hold on to your butts, SoCon'ers. The competition in the conference is rapidly getting tighter.

Shhhhhhh it is suppose to be a secret xwhistlex. I don't have a big problem with the ribbing etc because when Western becomes a contender (however long that takes) I'm going to be dishing it out pretty hard. It might take one season...it might take 4. We don't have a clue. We don't even know how to guess at a starting lineup right now except for maybe on the defensive line or at linebacker.

SOME of the Apps are just pushing the buttons of the long tortured Catamounts (rivals) and it is fun for them.

The Cats
August 14th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I don't know if this is serious or just good-natured smack, but........

GSU is also usually on the receiving end of asu smack attack...... and you have any doubt that they are serious ????? xoopsx

FUPaladin2010
August 14th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Oh my......just what color is the in your little world, young kitty litter? Either need to stop the meds or increase them..........here's a riddle from another thread.....

Two teams meet on the football field. Which one loses?

Western.......everytime....xlolx

I don't care who you are...that's funny.

The Cats
August 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I have mixed feelings when it comes to the new logo for WCU. I like the fact they went back to old gold in the logo and on the helmets, but the logo just doesn't look like a catamount to me. Looks more like a lion than a catamount. I don't mean this as a slam on Western just an opinion.

Something about it reminds me of the old cartoon Thunder Cats....

I don't mean this as smack either, but you certainly have a vivid imagination.... the only thing similar is the word "Cats"

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11671&stc=1&d=1218723778

http://www.wcu.edu/WebGraphics/Catamount_Head_CLR_Web.jpg

furman94
August 14th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Goes to smack in 5...4...3..

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 14th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Shhhhhhh it is suppose to be a secret xwhistlex. I don't have a big problem with the ribbing etc because when Western becomes a contender (however long that takes) I'm going to be dishing it out pretty hard. It might take one season...it might take 4. We don't have a clue. We don't even know how to guess at a starting lineup right now except for maybe on the defensive line or at linebacker.

SOME of the Apps are just pushing the buttons of the long tortured Catamounts (rivals) and it is fun for them.

It will be sooner than you think. Your team hasn't exactly been the most disciplined up to now , and I think Wagner is going to fix that really quick (as in, you'll see a big difference this year). You already have the athletes to be a contender, IMO. I think you proved that with your games against Wofford and The Citadel. Things are going to get interesting in the SoCon in the coming years.

jonmac
August 14th, 2008, 10:33 AM
GSU is also usually on the receiving end of asu smack attack...... and you have any doubt that they are serious ????? xoopsx

Dude, are you serious? There is plenty of smack to go around in the SoCon. And it comes from and goes in all directions. App fans do not pick on anyone anymore than anyone else does, just look at the smack thread archives, a la the long running "ASU random fact generator". I don't know how old you are but the good natured ribbing between ASU and WCU has been going on for a long time and it's just that, good natured ribbing, until folks like you start to take it too seriously. We understand that you guys are sick of losing, we would be too, and may be someday, God forbid. But come on, it's (gulp) just football. I presume that you have or will have a college degree, that's what it's really all about, even it is from West Carolina.xsmiley_wix :D

appfan2008
August 14th, 2008, 11:55 AM
OK, Mr. Mediator-person. You're right. I promise never to diss West. Carolina ever again. Promise.

I did like the part about getting to kick their a$$ again in Nov.

I love hating on western too but... it just doesnt seem necessary right now...

and we will kick em in November...!!!

BeauFoster
August 14th, 2008, 12:05 PM

It's always necessary.

Appaholic
August 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM

I know....it's kind of like throwing rocks at a flightless bird.....

appfan2008
August 14th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I know....it's kind of like throwing rocks at a flightless bird.....

thats all im trying to say...

WCU LawCat
August 14th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Here is a release and photo gallary of logos and.....the new helmet. The helmet is really sweet in my opinion.

http://catamountsports.cstv.com/genrel/081408aaa.html

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/genrel/auto_wide/2182697.jpeg

Appaholic
August 14th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Here is a release and photo gallary of logos and.....the new helmet. The helmet is really sweet in my opinion.

When did Montana St. become the Grizzlies? xeyebrowx

ASU88
August 14th, 2008, 01:08 PM
That helmet is a big improvement.

WCU LawCat
August 14th, 2008, 01:09 PM
When did Montana St. become the Grizzlies? xeyebrowx

You like it and you know it!

Appaholic
August 14th, 2008, 01:11 PM
That helmet is a big improvement.

Definitely........there ought to be less glare from the lights as it flies off of the head of the WCU RB that just got popped by DJ Smith for yet another 3 and out series........who knows, maybe our punter can join in on the fun this year......I hear lack of playing time against the Cats last year kept him from getting a letter......

furman94
August 14th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Nice!

Appaholic
August 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM

I'm glad to see there is life after boxing for Coach Butterbean.......

WCU LawCat
August 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'm glad to see there is life after boxing for Coach Butterbean.......

I believe Wagner's hands are bigger than Butterbean's gloves...

ASUMountaineer
August 14th, 2008, 01:55 PM

It's nice, and an improvement I think. I think the block W in purple on the side would have been better (but I'm a traditionalist). Still, a nice helmet and the old gold is pretty sweet.

jus10asu
August 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was really hoping they would go with this, maybe all the laughing would give em an advantage.

Philly Phoenix Phan
August 14th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I love the whole new package, big improvement. Looks great.

Appstate29
August 14th, 2008, 03:09 PM
wagner is fat and looks weird.

WCU LawCat
August 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM
wagner is fat and looks weird.

Brilliant post Appstate29

From Wagner's Bio on Catamountsports.com

"Beginning his collegiate playing days at Drake in 1976, Wagner transferred to Ellsworth (Iowa) Community College where he was a JUCO All-American and team captain as a center. He finished his playing career as a team captain his senior season at the University of Utah, earning All-Western Athletic Conference (WAC) honors and honorable-mention All-America honors as an offensive guard."

Yeah he is such a loser "fat" guy...xnonox

Woof
August 14th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Definitely an improvement.... Come to think of it, minus the Cat, it is a fine looking helmet !

Envy is the highest form of flattery...
xwhistlex

WCU LawCat
August 14th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Definitely an improvement.... Come to think of it, minus the Cat, it is a fine looking helmet !

Envy is the highest form of flattery...
xwhistlex

Just so you know, the facemask is dark purple. Hard to see :p

catamount man
August 14th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Definitely........there ought to be less glare from the lights as it flies off of the head of the WCU RB that just got popped by DJ Smith for yet another 3 and out series........who knows, maybe our punter can join in on the fun this year......I hear lack of playing time against the Cats last year kept him from getting a letter......

Man, I can't wait to finally meet you Saturday. You give as good as you get. I have a feeling you and I are gonna become WCU/ASU brothers for the long haul. BTW, I'll be wearing purple. xthumbsupx

catamount man
August 14th, 2008, 07:17 PM
It's nice, and an improvement I think. I think the block W in purple on the side would have been better (but I'm a traditionalist). Still, a nice helmet and the old gold is pretty sweet.

I believe U of Washington's lawyers would be calling us if we did that.

catamount man
August 14th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Brilliant post Appstate29

From Wagner's Bio on Catamountsports.com

"Beginning his collegiate playing days at Drake in 1976, Wagner transferred to Ellsworth (Iowa) Community College where he was a JUCO All-American and team captain as a center. He finished his playing career as a team captain his senior season at the University of Utah, earning All-Western Athletic Conference (WAC) honors and honorable-mention All-America honors as an offensive guard."

Yeah he is such a loser "fat" guy...xnonox

You can add the fact that he was a bouncer while on staff at UNLV as well. He was a bouncer at MGM Grand. Only Mike Ayers would give him a run for his money in a shoot fight between SoCon coaches as Ayers is a black belt.

WCU LawCat
August 14th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Classic colors. Modern flair. Never seen a stripe like this one!

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v297/237/43/1412191168/n1412191168_30042344_5596.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v297/237/43/1412191168/n1412191168_30042345_5864.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v297/237/43/1412191168/n1412191168_30042346_6141.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v297/237/43/1412191168/n1412191168_30042343_5316.jpg

catamount man
August 14th, 2008, 07:25 PM

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v297/237/43/1412191168/n1412191168_30042344_5596.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v297/237/43/1412191168/n1412191168_30042345_5864.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v297/237/43/1412191168/n1412191168_30042346_6141.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v297/237/43/1412191168/n1412191168_30042343_5316.jpg

F'N SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! xbowx xbowx xbowx

catamount man
August 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM

F'N SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! xbowx xbowx xbowx

ASUMountaineer
August 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I believe U of Washington's lawyers would be calling us if we did that.

Probably, the WCU minus the cat in the logo would be nice too I think. Either way, the new helmets are a definite improvement and a good look. I like it.

ASU88
August 14th, 2008, 08:58 PM
That helmet is pretty badass, must admit!

catamount man
August 14th, 2008, 09:26 PM
That helmet is pretty badass, must admit!

Thanks. It is awesome!

HiHiYikas
August 14th, 2008, 11:17 PM
The helmets look wonderful. The tapered stripes are a nice touch. Reminds me of several other helmet-side cat logos, such as Texas State. If you put a cat on the side of your helmet, and it doesn't look a little like Texas State's, it's probably not a very good design. I know Texas State didn't create the template, but they're as good an example as there is.

Sure, the 'catamount' has facial hair that looks a lot more like Fry's dog Seymour (from Futurama) than any mountain-variety cat...
http://www.zanarkand.co.uk/ww/94.PNG
...but ask the folks at Davidson about the unfortunate results of using a very accurate, very detailed cat drawing as an athletic logo.

james_lawfirm
August 15th, 2008, 07:48 AM
The helmets look wonderful. The tapered stripes are a nice touch. Reminds me of several other helmet-side cat logos, such as Texas State. If you put a cat on the side of your helmet, and it doesn't look a little like Texas State's, it's probably not a very good design. I know Texas State didn't create the template, but they're as good an example as there is.

Sure, the 'catamount' has facial hair that looks a lot more like Fry's dog Seymour (from Futurama) than any mountain-variety cat...
http://www.zanarkand.co.uk/ww/94.PNG
...but ask the folks at Davidson about the unfortunate results of using a very accurate, very detailed cat drawing as an athletic logo.

Since their are very few if any Davidson fans on AGS, please tell us what your cryptic message means. What were these unfortunate results?

HiHiYikas
August 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Since their are very few if any Davidson fans on AGS, please tell us what your cryptic message means. What were these unfortunate results?
These are the unfortunate results

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/11/2008/03/DavidsonWildcats.jpg

A detailed, anatomically accurate cat makes for a terrible athletics logo.

MountainMan
August 15th, 2008, 09:33 AM

I gotta admit that it looks much better on the actual helmet than it did in drawings. I like the color of gold on the actual helmet than the color on the drawing.

The stripes aren't my favorite. I think no stripes would look better, but I guess I'm just accustomed to our helmets.

Appaholic
August 15th, 2008, 10:29 AM

I agree.....WCU's regular rotation of new coaching pinata's (and subsequent new uniform design) has allowed the Catamounts to stay on the cutting edge of fashion....xthumbsupx

ASU_MBA
August 18th, 2008, 12:00 AM
When did Western get a football team?

Appaholic
August 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
When did Western get a football team?

That's the most BadA$$ avatar on the site......you rock!......xbowx

appfan2008
August 18th, 2008, 09:40 AM
who are the two dudes holding the helmet in that picture up there?

ASU_MBA
August 18th, 2008, 09:55 AM
That's the most BadA$$ avatar on the site......you rock!......xbowx

Thanks it is dedicated to my man Citdog....

It's the Citadel defense line for this fall.

Woof
August 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM
This is still my all time favorite El Cid photo...no wonder they quit playing VMI !xlolx xlolx xlolx

Thanks it is dedicated to my man Citdog....

It's the Citadel defense line for this fall.

WCU LawCat
August 18th, 2008, 04:32 PM
who are the two dudes holding the helmet in that picture up there?

Chancellor Bardo (left)
HC Dennis Wagner (Right)

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM
11-22-08
Appies: 41
Katties: 38
xnodx

WCUFLALUM
August 18th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Chancellor Bardo (left)
HC Dennis Wagner (Right)

11-22-08
Appies: 41
Katties: 38
xnodx

It isn't even worth replying to a simple questions. A thread about Western changing our logo has some how become a WCU bash session.

Monarch History
August 18th, 2008, 05:13 PM
That's one great looking helmet! xthumbsupx

WCU LawCat
August 18th, 2008, 05:24 PM
That's one great looking helmet! xthumbsupx

...said the very wise man. SO hey, why all the love anyway? Glad to have your support.

catamount man
August 18th, 2008, 06:20 PM
It isn't even worth replying to a simple questions. A thread about Western changing our logo has some how become a WCU bash session.

Dude, chill out. They are no more bashing WCU than some of us did as we were leaving Whitmire Stadium the last 2 years for the way we've played. Heck, tailgating has been the lone bright spot the last 2 years. If anything, ASU wants us to be good and vice versa to make it a rivalry again.

asknoquarter21
August 18th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I would like to see some rivalry....you have been at the bottom too long now

The Cats
August 18th, 2008, 11:10 PM
They are no more bashing WCU than some of us did as we were leaving Whitmire Stadium the last 2 years for the way we've played.

If you don't know the difference in our own criticism of the program (among WCU fans) and total smack from the boone boys.....

Is this the same guy that has demanded many times that asu fans not post on the Pride board?????

The Cats
August 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM

Agreed !!!!

james_lawfirm
August 19th, 2008, 06:17 AM
A detailed, anatomically accurate cat makes for a terrible athletics logo.

Yep, you're right. Here, kitty, kitty.

jonmac
August 19th, 2008, 06:24 AM

Oh, get used to it. We have. We get bashed for simply being the subject of the thread. (and we love it)

WCUFLALUM
August 19th, 2008, 09:17 AM
...said the very wise man. SO hey, why all the love anyway? Glad to have your support.

FYI..... I posted a better looking Western avatar on the Pride if you are interested in replacing the one you are using.

DotCat
August 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM

INDEEED!!!

Jackman
August 19th, 2008, 12:35 PM

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m172/weirisujin/umass/schnauzer.jpg

(Sorry Western, I got nothing against you, but that's not a cat.)

Appaholic
August 19th, 2008, 12:36 PM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m172/weirisujin/umass/schnauzer.jpg

(Sorry Western, I got nothing against you, but that's not a cat.)

And that ain't a dog......

elon77
August 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM
And that ain't a dog......

unless it's citdog!xconfusedx

elon77
August 19th, 2008, 02:58 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was really hoping they would go with this, maybe all the laughing would give em an advantage.

now, before someone gets mad just chill out. This is pretty dang funny. no harm intended by me, but i bet it did make a few people snicker.xsplatx