PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to VT for the first time...

furman94
July 29th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I'm taking the trip to the 'Burg for the FU-VPI Turkey game. I'm staying at a hotel in Radford, and I need some help planning my 2 day trip up there. Has anyone been to a Tech FB game before? Where should I park? How early should I be at the stadium? HELP!

ericsaid
July 29th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Park inside the stadium. That'll cause a disturbance.

furman94
July 29th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I'll drive to mid-field and stick my Furman Flag dead in the center of the VT and yell "Its game time!"

IaaScribe
July 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Tailgating gets underway well before the game. 1:30 p.m. start, I imagine there will be some hardy souls out there by 6, 7 a.m. Some will still be drunk from the night before.

You can park for $5 in the huge commuter lot on the back side of campus, behind McBride Hall and Derring Hall. It's a bit of a hike to the stadium, but you will get to walk through a nice part of campus (the drillfield) on the way to the stadium. It's worth stopping by the shooting memorial in front of Burruss Hall if you're going that way anyway.

Another sneaky place to park is on Otey Street, which is just off campus off Washington Street. Residents will allow people to park on their lawns for $5-10. Most of the other parking is reserved, but those are the two big spots I know of.

Also, hit up some of Blacksburg's restaurants after the game for a good time. The Rivermill on Draper Rd. has awesome burgers, cheap beer, lots of TVs, pool tables and dartboards. Sharkey's on Main Street has the best wings in town. Top of the Stairs is nice if you want to gaze at scantily-clad sorority girls.

IaaScribe (VT, class of '97)

elon77
July 29th, 2008, 04:03 PM
you think asu fans are a little??????????????????????, wait until you see the tech fans. on second thought, tech fans and asu fans are kind of alike. i'll let everyone figure out why.

ericsaid
July 29th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I happen to be both!!!

APPdopted
July 29th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'm actually a student of 2 ACC schools and have been to a game at VT. One of my favorite road trip/game day experiences. The fans were classy to us before and after the game(my team beat them there). Don't have any advice about parking b/c we were visiting students who had a friend's place near the stadium to park and walk, but you should enjoy the experience!

FCS Go!
July 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM
We always park a few blocks east off of Main St near the intersection with Washington St (Clay St?). It's free and about a 10 minute walk to the stadium. We're always there way early though, three or even four hours before game time. Haven't tailgated as we meet up with friends in the fieldhouse or press box.

I've been to some Tech games where I was completely embarrassed by the assinine behavior of the fans and I'm not talking about students either. Most of the time people are pretty polite and I imagine that you won't have any trouble at all. Unless Furman wins.

I would like to make the Furman game this year but I'm not sure it will happen. If you see somebody with a Tech shirt and a Griz hat that'll be me.

georgiaeagle
July 29th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I went to VT and you'll have a great time. It's been awhile since I hung out downtown and am surprised Top of the Stairs is still there. The scenery is amazing and I'm not talking about landscape. xsmiley_wix For a really good sit down dinner The Farmhouse near New River Mall is cozy but busy.

As for the game...

When Enter Sandman starts the place goes nuts. You'll feel the stands shake as everybody jumps up and down then the team runs on to fireworks and cannon fire. The stadium was upgraded a few years and part of the design was to close in the endzones to make it extra tough on visiting offenses. Red zone audibles are simply not tolerated by some of the best and most knowledgeable fans around. We'll celebrate you calling a timeout because you can't change the play like it was a Hokie touchdown, but you can hear a pin drop when we are about to run a big offensive play.

Have a blast and let us know if what you think.