PDA

View Full Version : Projected GSU starting RB arrested

WCU LawCat
July 28th, 2008, 04:03 PM
The fun never stops in Statesboro. Zeke Rozier arrested for kicking a dent in a car at Subwayxreadx

http://savannahnow.com/node/538002

catamount man
July 28th, 2008, 06:24 PM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
July 28th, 2008, 06:36 PM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

What the heck does yer post mean?

blueballs
July 28th, 2008, 06:51 PM
According to folks "in the know," this is a minor incident and Rozier will not lose his scholarship, won't be prosecuted to any real extent, and will be available when GSU travels to Cullowhee later in the season to extend its veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long winning streak against the Catamounts.

Sorry to rain on your parade guys...

APPALACHIANstate
July 28th, 2008, 06:55 PM
According to folks "in the know," this is a minor incident and Rozier will not lose his scholarship, won't be prosecuted to any real extent, and will be available when GSU travels to Cullowhee later in the season to extend its veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long winning streak against the Catamounts.

You are getting a kick out of this aren't you...

ASUTed
July 28th, 2008, 07:25 PM
To bad to hear about that, heck though, they could save on the rates. Let him and henton share a cell.

CID1990
July 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM

I would expect that to be the description of any football player-committed crime in Statesboro short of murder, and then only maybe.

catamount man
July 28th, 2008, 08:15 PM

I honestly don't know why I posted this. Ooops!

Eaglesrus
July 28th, 2008, 08:24 PM
To bad to hear about that, heck though, they could save on the rates. Let him and henton share a cell.

I would expect that to be the description of any football player-committed crime in Statesboro short of murder, and then only maybe.

FCS Discussion:
This board is for general Football Championship Subdivision talk about the current FCS and topics, newspaper articles/scuttlebutt/speculation, and published "official" news. No smack. Low noise, reasoned opinions, and linked notices for the entire FCS community. See the terms of service for rules.

Well, Zeke and Antonio can at least read, apparently unlike some fans of ASU and THE Citadel.

Hansel
July 28th, 2008, 08:28 PM
maybe he was mad the subway diet wasn't working for him?

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 28th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Hatcher kicked two players on our already thin defense off of the team last year for things that might get them one-game suspensions on a lot of DI squads (neither of them did anything that was even a misdemeanor). The man is serious about not putting up with any nonsense. If Rozier was not kicked off of the team, you can rest assured that it was not a really big deal, especially when you consider how stacked we are at runningback. You will probably see GSU rotating between two or three different guys in that position this year.

GreatAppSt
July 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
The fun never stops in Statesboro. Zeke Rozier arrested for kicking a dent in a car at Subwayxreadx

The Zeksta, the Zekenata, dude where's my car!xrolleyesx

PaladinFan
July 29th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I don't see how getting arrested can be construed as "not that bad." People don't get arrested for just hanging around. They get arrested for doing things considered "bad."

I'm not saying I don't believe you. But, come on.

gophoenix
July 29th, 2008, 06:56 AM

So basically, you're pointing out the difference between GSU and the other conference schools that dismiss players when they do things like this?

Hatcher kicked two players on our already thin defense off of the team last year for things that might get them one-game suspensions on a lot of DI squads (neither of them did anything that was even a misdemeanor). The man is serious about not putting up with any nonsense. If Rozier was not kicked off of the team, you can rest assured that it was not a really big deal, especially when you consider how stacked we are at runningback. You will probably see GSU rotating between two or three different guys in that position this year.

Kicking two players off may not be a big deal on paper unless they were in danger of hurting the APR anyway. Without the details of this, you can't expect us to believe this is a big deal or not. Also, you're basically saying that getting arrested and charged isn't a big deal? All I can say to that is.... wow. And what the heck does "won't be prosecuted to any real extent" mean?

blueballs
July 29th, 2008, 07:04 AM
So basically, you're pointing out the difference between GSU and the other conference schools that dismiss players when they do things like this?

Okay, I'll take your bait and raise you one.... since other schools in the conference dismiss players when they do things like this , please enlighten the rest of us as what EXACTLY- in detail- he did, and before you stick your foot further in your mouth, I'll remind you one of the part time posters on this board is in law enforcement in Statesboro, so there will be a truth detector.

BeauFoster
July 29th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Has the player been found guilty of any crimes?

Don't get me wrong here, I hate GSU as much as the next guy. If he hasn't been found guilty, only charged, then he shouldn't be kicked off the team. He should be suspended, pending the outcome of the case. Doesn't anyone remember that whole Duke lax/stripper thing?

AshevilleApp2
July 29th, 2008, 07:12 AM
The article gives very little detail. I assume the coach will take appropriate action if it is needed.

gophoenix
July 29th, 2008, 07:40 AM
The article gives very little detail. I assume the coach will take appropriate action if it is needed.

The Macon article gives a bit more information:
http://www.macon.com/168/story/414792.html

Charged with second-degree criminal damage to property.

(a) A person commits the offense of criminal damage to
1-17 property in the second degree when he or she:

1-18 (1) Intentionally damages any property of another person
1-19 without his or her consent and the damage thereto
1-20 exceeds $500.00;

1-21 (2) Recklessly or intentionally, by means of fire or
1-22 explosive, damages property of another person; or

1-23 (3) With intent to damage, starts a fire on the land of
1-24 another without his or her consent; or

1-25 (4) Defaces any property of another person without his
1-26 or her consent by application of paint, graffiti, or
1-27 otherwise and the damage or cost of repair thereto
1-28 exceeds $100.00.

1-29 (b) A person convicted of the offense of criminal damage
1-30 to property in the second degree shall be punished by
1-31 imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five
1-32 years."

The offense is a misdemeanor.

Don't get me wrong here, I hate GSU as much as the next guy. If he hasn't been found guilty, only charged, then he shouldn't be kicked off the team. He should be suspended, pending the outcome of the case. Doesn't anyone remember that whole Duke lax/stripper thing?

I made that same argument back when the Duke Lacrosse thing was going on too. I was quashed pretty big for this same view too. I even made that argument of all it takes is someone to accuse someone of a crime to turn outcomes of games these days. The truth of the matter is, being charged with a crime violates the honor code at most schools and gets students thrown off extracurricular teams, suspension of scholarships pending outcomes, etc.

Okay, I'll take your bait and raise you one.... since other schools in the conference dismiss players when they do things like this , please enlighten the rest of us as what EXACTLY- in detail- he did, and before you stick your foot further in your mouth, I'll remind you one of the part time posters on this board is in law enforcement in Statesboro, so there will be a truth detector.

I haven't stuck my foot in my mouth by making a blanket statement. UTC, Elon, App and WCU have all suspended players for misdemeanor charges in years past, not even convictions. If you look at the quote from the top, I quoted the law and the charge from news sources.

I don't care if someone is involved from the Statesboro Police Force. IMHO, that is a biased group in the case of argument for this matter. Being involved with law enforcement means so little these days given how corrupt law enforcement is, political and monetary favors running through every department and select enforcement of laws all given with political agendas behind everything. To make it seem that a police officers agenda is any more or any less valid than anyone else on this board is nothing more than laughable.

gophoenix
July 29th, 2008, 07:48 AM
a

The Cats
July 29th, 2008, 08:15 AM

1-20 exceeds $500.00;

1-28 exceeds $100.00.

1-32 years."

I made that same argument back when the Duke Lacrosse thing was going on too. I was quashed pretty big for this same view too. I even made that argument of all it takes is someone to accuse someone of a crime to turn outcomes of games these days. The truth of the matter is, being charged with a crime violates the honor code at most schools and gets students thrown off extracurricular teams, suspension of scholarships pending outcomes, etc.

I haven't stuck my foot in my mouth by making a blanket statement. UTC, Elon, App and WCU have all suspended players for misdemeanor charges in years past, not even convictions. If you look at the quote from the top, I quoted the law and the charge from news sources.

I don't care if someone is involved from the Statesboro Police Force. IMHO, that is a biased group in the case of argument for this matter. Being involved with law enforcement means so little these days given how corrupt law enforcement is, political and monetary favors running through every department and select enforcement of laws all given with political agendas behind everything. To make it seem that a police officers agenda is any more or any less valid than anyone else on this board is nothing more than laughable.

WOW, you really got fired up about that one !!!!! xthumbsupx

Appaholic
July 29th, 2008, 08:35 AM

Oh my god.....I Love You, gophoenix.........now, let's all go pay homage to our local law enforcement for doing their jobs....xrotatehx

elcid96
July 29th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I agree with GSU fans. Why get upset about this? It is actually a requirement to have a least a misdemeanor to get on the team and little more than that to be a starter. The kid was just doing what it takes to make the team. Give him a break.

catbob
July 29th, 2008, 09:30 AM
It's just the society we live in today; once someone is charged with something, we automatically assume he is guilty. Hell, even if the charges are dropped, you know most of you are thinking to yourselves "He/she must have had a good lawyer...".

It's no wonder the justice system has so many flaws when the members of its society don't even believe in the doctrine "innocent until proven guilty" themselves.

GreatAppSt
July 29th, 2008, 09:33 AM
maybe he was mad the subway diet wasn't working for him?

Or they were fresh out of $5 dollar footlongs.;)

gophoenix
July 29th, 2008, 09:43 AM
It's no wonder the justice system has so many flaws when the members of its society don't even believe in the doctrine "innocent until proven guilty" themselves.

xsmileyclapx

Absolutely right. The guilty until proven innocent of our ambulance chasing society is pretty sickening most of the time.

BUT. And that is a big but. Suspension pending the outcome is typically what comes out of this type of thing. Many students coluntarily drop out with suspensions, whether athletes or regular students.

Part of the responsibility in being scholarship receiver or in special programs (like varsity sports) means that you follow a code normal students may not have to follow so strictly. Part of this means keeping you image clear and avoiding situations that could cloud your image. At least, that is how it is at many of our schools.

introvertedGSUfan
July 29th, 2008, 09:44 AM
As others have said, Hatcher doesn't put up with any nonsense on his team. I hope this is all cleared up so that Zeke will start this season, but I know that Hatcher will have no problem looking to USF transfer Ricky Ponton or someone else as the starting RB.

sceagle
July 29th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I agree with GSU fans. Why get upset about this? It is actually a requirement to have a least a misdemeanor to get on the team and little more than that to be a starter. The kid was just doing what it takes to make the team. Give him a break.

Gotta love citadel men. I'm pretty sure everyone that graduates from there has done some things that should have landed them in the back of a police car but it's ok as long as it's done to a knob under the veil of turning men into boys.

CID1990
July 29th, 2008, 10:55 AM

1-20 exceeds $500.00;

1-28 exceeds $100.00.

1-32 years."

You had me at "Hello," but then you lost me with the tinfoil hat statement about LE.

citdog
July 29th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Gotta love citadel men. I'm pretty sure everyone that graduates from there has done some things that should have landed them in the back of a police car but it's ok as long as it's done to a knob under the veil of turning men into boys.

that veil has been pretty damned successful.........seems like your rb could use a little "regulation" send him down we'll make a man out of him.

as for pigs ass, ga eaglets.......this is par for the course.

at least he wasn't "hangin' out for ho's"

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 29th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I don't see how getting arrested can be construed as "not that bad." People don't get arrested for just hanging around. They get arrested for doing things considered "bad."

I'm not saying I don't believe you. But, come on.

There is a difference between being arrested for denting someone's car out of a fit of anger and deliberatly slashing the tires or setting a car on fire. He was charged because what he did fits the legal definition of destruction of property. Morally, they do not compare.

So basically, you're pointing out the difference between GSU and the other conference schools that dismiss players when they do things like this? Kicking two players off may not be a big deal on paper unless they were in danger of hurting the APR anyway. Without the details of this, you can't expect us to believe this is a big deal or not. Also, you're basically saying that getting arrested and charged isn't a big deal? All I can say to that is.... wow. And what the heck does "won't be prosecuted to any real extent" mean?

GSU is actually in a tight situation with APR at the moment. And not only that, these two players were starters on defense. Half of our defense was either suspended, injured, or kicked off of the team by the time the last two games came around in '07. And you could argue that played a big role in eliminating us from winning the SoCon and winning a spot in the playoffs. Coach Hatcher does not put up with nonsense.

It all depends on that particular PD. In general, small-town police departments are less likely to be corrupt than big city police.

Eaglesrus
July 29th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks, we can always count on a Citadel guy to contribute something nonsensical to lighten things up.

gophoenix
July 29th, 2008, 12:12 PM
You had me at "Hello," but then you lost me with the tinfoil hat statement about LE.

Are you telling me that law enforcement isn't selection with the laws that are enforced?

elon77
July 29th, 2008, 12:16 PM

maybe his arms were full of subs, and he was trying to open a car door with his foot, maybe!xlolx

cmaxwellgsu
July 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I love how our conference bottom dwellers have the most to say on this topic. Don't worry Kitten fans, we will be up there soon enough. The only thing vandalized will be your pride.

AppGrad06
July 29th, 2008, 12:59 PM
There is a difference between being arrested for denting someone's car out of a fit of anger and deliberatly slashing the tires or setting a car on fire. He was charged because what he did fits the legal definition of destruction of property. Morally, they do not compare.

Seriously? Is that what they teach down in Statesboro? I will give that setting a car on fire does take things up a notch, but slashing tires being worse the denting the crap out of someones car, come on! The only difference between slashing someones tires b/c you're pissed off and purposefully denting someones car (I say purposefully b/c honestly what do you think is going to happen if you kick someones car) b/c you're pissed off, is that the a dented car can drive off. That being said good body work can cost substantially more than a new set of tires.

As far as the application of the law goes there is no difference between slashing and denting; it is still malicious destruction of property either way.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 29th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Seriously? Is that what they teach down in Statesboro? I will give that setting a car on fire does take things up a notch, but slashing tires being worse the denting the crap out of someones car, come on! The only difference between slashing someones tires b/c you're pissed off and purposefully denting someones car (I say purposefully b/c honestly what do you think is going to happen if you kick someones car) b/c you're pissed off, is that the a dented car can drive off. That being said good body work can cost substantially more than a new set of tires.

As far as the application of the law goes there is no difference between slashing and denting; it is still malicious destruction of property either way.

The point that I am making is: we do not know all of the facts of the incident - and given Hatcher's history of dealing with trouble-making regardless of how it will affect the efficacy of the team and given the depth that we have at RB this year, I'd say it was an act that does not compare to intentionally slashing someone's tires. For all we know he didn't intentionally damage the car. A judge will evaluate the situation and I doubt he will get a punishment even close to what a true vandal would get.

jonmac
July 29th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Are you telling me that law enforcement isn't selection with the laws that are enforced?

Are you telling us that it is at all possible for law enforcement to enforce EVERY law that they witness being broken?
In most cases of damage to property if LE is called and sees damaged property and the owner of the property decides to press charges then an arrest is made if and when a warrant is issued. The officer can also choose to make the arrest himself if the evidence supports it.

And as for the "innocent until proven guilty" "rule", That applies to the judicial system, not the general public. We are entitled to choose for ourselves based on the evidence that we are presented. Me, as part of the general public, saying I believe he is guilty in no way affects his due process. Might I be wrong? Sure, but I am entitled to that and will admit it when I am. May I still think it was his "good attorney" that got him off and he is still guilty? Yep, sure can. We all have opinions and the only time they matter or must be suspended is when we are part of the judicial system as jurors or other players.

Baldy
July 29th, 2008, 05:37 PM
that veil has been pretty damned successful.........seems like your rb could use a little "regulation" send him down we'll make a man out of him.

as for pigs ass, ga eaglets.......this is par for the course.

at least he wasn't "hangin' out for ho's"

I don't think gay sex with undergrads is right for everyone.... xoopsx

Seven Would Be Nice
July 29th, 2008, 06:17 PM
The question I have is... WHAT THE **** IS A GUY THAT BLEW HIS KNEE OUT LAST YEAR DOING KICKING CAR DOORS??!?!?!?!

W T F??

proasu89
July 29th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I honestly don't know why I posted this. Ooops!

There you go thinking out loud. xlolx

CID1990
July 29th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Due to problems with tense and noun-verb agreement in your question, I can only assume that you are referring to what is known as "officer discretion."

No, I am not telling you that it does not exist, because not only DOES it exist, but it is central to policing in a democratic society. It is also supported in a myriad of Supreme Court decisions as being one of the cornerstones in what is essentially the difference between an oppressive totalitarian system and a true justice system. If it were not for officer discretion, little 'ol grandma would go to jail for smacking Jr. with the wooden spoon every time.

What you did was make a broad assertion of police corruption and somehow suggested that a police officer in Statesboro, GA somehow would throw his integrity out the window for a football player on the GSU team. If the guy was charged, then the officer DID HIS JOB. What happens afterwards has absolutely nothing to do with the officer. You should have learned that in Civics class in the 8th grade.

citdog
July 29th, 2008, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=Baldy;1038426]I don't think gay sex with undergrads is right for everyone.... xoopsx[/QUOTE

that's why they call you baldy isnt it? you turned out alright....

gophoenix
July 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Due to problems with tense and noun-verb agreement in your question, I can only assume that you are referring to what is known as "officer discretion."

No, I am not telling you that it does not exist, because not only DOES it exist, but it is central to policing in a democratic society. It is also supported in a myriad of Supreme Court decisions as being one of the cornerstones in what is essentially the difference between an oppressive totalitarian system and a true justice system. If it were not for officer discretion, little 'ol grandma would go to jail for smacking Jr. with the wooden spoon every time.

What you did was make a broad assertion of police corruption and somehow suggested that a police officer in Statesboro, GA somehow would throw his integrity out the window for a football player on the GSU team. If the guy was charged, then the officer DID HIS JOB. What happens afterwards has absolutely nothing to do with the officer. You should have learned that in Civics class in the 8th grade.

That's not what I am saying at all. The original implication was that this was a misunderstanding and a statesboro police officer would "clear up" our misconceptions about what being arrested and charged means. And also that reports on the matter, which are public record, are somehow less accurate because the rest of us aren't in law enforcement.

If you had learned anything ethics class, you'd know that we aren't a democratic society and that ideas central to policing in a democratic society had little to do with officer discretion and more to do with majority sentiment. "Officer discretion" and "democratic" have nothng overall to do with each other. Officer discretion has to do with an individual making a call regardless of majority sentiment on the matter. Democratic means majority rule playing over the individual opinion. We may have officer discretion playing a central role in our country, for right or wrong, but to make a representative republic out to be truly democratic while quoting civics to me is pretty funny.

So tell me, where is the justice when law enforcement becomes the decision on whether someone gets charged or is let go? And don't give me garbage supreme court rulings, give me real reasons.

WCU LawCat
July 29th, 2008, 07:29 PM
That's not what I am saying at all. The original implication was that this was a misunderstanding and a statesboro police officer would "clear up" our misconceptions about what being arrested and charged means. And also that reports on the matter, which are public record, are somehow less accurate because the rest of us aren't in law enforcement.

If you had learned anything ethics class, you'd know that we aren't a democratic society and that ideas central to policing in a democratic society had little to do with officer discretion and more to do with majority sentiment. "Officer discretion" and "democratic" have nothng overall to do with each other. Officer discretion has to do with an individual making a call regardless of majority sentiment on the matter. Democratic means majority rule playing over the individual opinion. We may have officer discretion playing a central role in our country, for right or wrong, but to make a representative republic out to be truly democratic while quoting civics to me is pretty funny.

So tell me, where is the justice when law enforcement becomes the decision on whether someone gets charged or is let go? And don't give me garbage supreme court rulings, give me real reasons.

My...how many in society are so quick to judge Law Enforcement...until they need a Cop.

Back to the topic. Hey I heard the RB for GSU got arrested. xpeacex

Oh...and the comment about the bottom feeder school picking on GSU is funny. All I did was start a thread stating a fact

james_lawfirm
July 29th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Beau:

With all due respect, may I point out that being innocent until proving guilty is the standard inside the courtroom. Outside the courtroom, however, said standard can be set wherever those who set the standard decide to put it. If Coach Hatcher/Moore/Ayers/fill-in-name-here decides to boot a player for a mere criminal charge, then so be it. Playing on a college football under a scholarship is not a right, it is a privilege. Therefore, them boys darn well should behave.

The difference with the Duke lacrosse team is that those boys got a lynching in the media in addition to getting booted off the team. That in itself was a miscarriage of justice. Not to mention the shenanigans of the Durham County D.A.

I remember Coach Lou Holtz booting his star running back on the night before a bowl game at Arkansas. The remarkable thing was he won the game. The un-remarkable thing was players who played for Coach Holtz remembered that many years later, and it served as an incentive for good behavior. I would imagine that Coach Moore has had similar experiences - like leaving his star CB out of the Nat'l Champ. game.

james_lawfirm
July 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM
xsmileyclapx

Absolutely right. The guilty until proven innocent of our ambulance chasing society is pretty sickening most of the time.

BUT. And that is a big but. Suspension pending the outcome is typically what comes out of this type of thing. Many students coluntarily drop out with suspensions, whether athletes or regular students.

Part of the responsibility in being scholarship receiver or in special programs (like varsity sports) means that you follow a code normal students may not have to follow so strictly. Part of this means keeping you image clear and avoiding situations that could cloud your image. At least, that is how it is at many of our schools.

OK, I know this is a real, serious topic, but "coluntarily"??? :o

Baldy
July 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=Baldy;1038426]I don't think gay sex with undergrads is right for everyone.... xoopsx[/QUOTE

that's why they call you baldy isnt it? you turned out alright....

That doesn't even make sense. xlolx

citdog = doggystyle????

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/65/200070880_d38c5cb4c6.jpg?v=0

xeyebrowx

gophoenix
July 30th, 2008, 06:46 AM
OK, I know this is a real, serious topic, but "coluntarily"??? :o

V and C keys are next to each others :D

BeauFoster
July 30th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Beau:

With all due respect, may I point out that being innocent until proving guilty is the standard inside the courtroom. Outside the courtroom, however, said standard can be set wherever those who set the standard decide to put it. If Coach Hatcher/Moore/Ayers/fill-in-name-here decides to boot a player for a mere criminal charge, then so be it. Playing on a college football under a scholarship is not a right, it is a privilege. Therefore, them boys darn well should behave.

The difference with the Duke lacrosse team is that those boys got a lynching in the media in addition to getting booted off the team. That in itself was a miscarriage of justice. Not to mention the shenanigans of the Durham County D.A.

I remember Coach Lou Holtz booting his star running back on the night before a bowl game at Arkansas. The remarkable thing was he won the game. The un-remarkable thing was players who played for Coach Holtz remembered that many years later, and it served as an incentive for good behavior. I would imagine that Coach Moore has had similar experiences - like leaving his star CB out of the Nat'l Champ. game.

I understand what you are saying, but without knowing all the facts, how can we judge? I could drive down to Statesboro tomorrow, find the bar where the football team hangs out, break my car window, and then blame it on any one of them (I should have done this to Jayson Foster last year). The incident would be completely fabricated, but the police would still have to investigate, and if I got 5 friends to go along with me on the story, I bet a grand jury would indict. If a coach kicks a player off the team and jerks his scholarship over these charges, what is he to do when the law finally figures out that I made the whole thing up and charges me with filing a false report? Do they hope that the player isn't pissed and invite him back?

All I'm saying is give the kid a fair break, suspend him from the team and put him on double secret probation. I would expect any coach to stand behind his players in this way, whether it's Hatcher, Moore, or Urban Mayer.

citdog
July 30th, 2008, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=citdog;1038475]

That doesn't even make sense. xlolx

citdog = doggystyle????

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/65/200070880_d38c5cb4c6.jpg?v=0

xeyebrowx

keep your jayson foster jerk off material to yourself.....no one wants to see that.

gophoenix
July 30th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I understand what you are saying, but without knowing all the facts, how can we judge? I could drive down to Statesboro tomorrow, find the bar where the football team hangs out, break my car window, and then blame it on any one of them (I should have done this to Jayson Foster last year). The incident would be completely fabricated, but the police would still have to investigate, and if I got 5 friends to go along with me on the story, I bet a grand jury would indict. If a coach kicks a player off the team and jerks his scholarship over these charges, what is he to do when the law finally figures out that I made the whole thing up and charges me with filing a false report? Do they hope that the player isn't pissed and invite him back?

All I'm saying is give the kid a fair break, suspend him from the team and put him on double secret probation. I would expect any coach to stand behind his players in this way, whether it's Hatcher, Moore, or Urban Mayer.

And you're absolutely right. Or you can go get a girl to cry rape about a bunch of players. And basically kids get charged. And you could start changing outcomes and such things. I completely agree with you.

But the difference is, players aren't dismissed unless they fess up to the crime usually (ie, they have notified admins that they will be admitting guilt). If they want to wait it out, the schools put the kids on suspension pending outcome. So yes, the schools have a guilty until proven innocent mentality about items like this in many cases.

The problem is that it becomes a gamble for the school. Do you suspend or dismiss the player before due process. If so, if the player is convicted, you get a black eye for knowingly playing a player that had been charged (ie media/public opinion). Or, do you suspend, risk the player being innocent and then get a black eye for disciplining kids that were not guilty of the charge (like happened to UTC 2 or 3 years ago with the gang rape charge).

It is a sticky no-win situation where the school is involved.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
And you're absolutely right. Or you can go get a girl to cry rape about a bunch of players. And basically kids get charged. And you could start changing outcomes and such things. I completely agree with you.

But the difference is, players aren't dismissed unless they fess up to the crime usually (ie, they have notified admins that they will be admitting guilt). If they want to wait it out, the schools put the kids on suspension pending outcome. So yes, the schools have a guilty until proven innocent mentality about items like this in many cases.

The problem is that it becomes a gamble for the school. Do you suspend or dismiss the player before due process. If so, if the player is convicted, you get a black eye for knowingly playing a player that had been charged (ie media/public opinion). Or, do you suspend, risk the player being innocent and then get a black eye for disciplining kids that were not guilty of the charge (like happened to UTC 2 or 3 years ago with the gang rape charge).

It is a sticky no-win situation where the school is involved.

I don't see any real disadvantage in a school presuming innocence before guilt is proven unless the athlete in question is a suspected serial killer. If the institution or program is besmirched by the media for not "getting tough" on athlete behavioral problems, then the media ought to be rebuked for trying to foster an environment that's hostile to due process and common decency. Almost every unjust, BS, draconian system of punishment is done in the name of "cracking down" on behavior. It's one thing to use harsher punishments for a person convicted of a crime, it's another thing entirely to eliminate due process.

introvertedGSUfan
July 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I don't see any real disadvantage in a school presuming innocence before guilt is proven unless the athlete in question is a suspected serial killer. If the institution or program is besmirched by the media for not "getting tough" on athlete behavioral problems, then the media ought to be rebuked for trying to foster an environment that's hostile to due process and common decency. Almost every unjust, BS, draconian system of punishment is done in the name of "cracking down" on behavior. It's one thing to use harsher punishments for a person convicted of a crime, it's another thing entirely to eliminate due process.

Very well said, but I'm afraid this is falling on deaf ears.

citdog
July 30th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Very well said, but I'm afraid this is falling on deaf ears.

IF YOU COULD ONLY KEEP YOUR PLAYERS FROM DRUNK DRIVING, SELLING POT, AND BEATING UP THEIR GIRLFRIENDS YOU'D BE ALRIGHT.....Y'ALL HAVEN'T WON ENOUGH LATELY TO COVER IT ALL UP LIKE THE OLD DAYS..

bobbythekidd
July 30th, 2008, 10:40 AM
IF YOU COULD ONLY KEEP YOUR PLAYERS FROM DRUNK DRIVING, SELLING POT, AND BEATING UP THEIR GIRLFRIENDS YOU'D BE ALRIGHT.....Y'ALL HAVEN'T WON ENOUGH LATELY TO COVER IT ALL UP LIKE THE OLD DAYS..
21>17xrulesx

citdog
July 30th, 2008, 11:29 AM
21>17xrulesx

WITH THOSE STANDARDS, AND THOSE THUGS...IT SHOULD NOT EVEN BE THAT CLOSE WHEN WE PLAY..... YOU MAY HAVE 3 OR 4 GUYS ON YOUR TEAM WHO WE WOULD EVEN ADMIT TO THE CITADEL.

Eaglesrus
July 30th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Like I said earlier, we can always count on THE Citadel's guys for nonsensical contributions.....thanks for adding confirmation.

cmaxwellgsu
July 30th, 2008, 02:52 PM

I don't know of any of those incidents....is that from a cadet secret intelligent report or something?

cmaxwellgsu
July 30th, 2008, 03:00 PM
My...how many in society are so quick to judge Law Enforcement...until they need a Cop.

Back to the topic. Hey I heard the RB for GSU got arrested. xpeacex

Oh...and the comment about the bottom feeder school picking on GSU is funny. All I did was start a thread stating a fact

Hey, my statement was factual too. Y'all have NEVER won a conference title. Only Samford and Elon have zeroes as well, but Elon has only been for a couple of years and Samford has yet to play a down. What's WCU's excuse?

citdog
July 30th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I don't know of any of those incidents....is that from a cadet secret intelligent report or something?

HE WAS ALSO A RUNNING BACK.....HE FUMBLED WHEN WE RUINED YOUR HOMECOMING. YOU MUST HAVE BEEN SMOKING SOME OF HIS HASH....I MEAN STASH

WCU LawCat
July 30th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Hey, my statement was factual too. Y'all have NEVER won a conference title. Only Samford and Elon have zeroes as well, but Elon has only been for a couple of years and Samford has yet to play a down. What's WCU's excuse?

Funding...

The funds were recently increased.

blueballs
July 30th, 2008, 05:01 PM
HE WAS ALSO A RUNNING BACK.....HE FUMBLED WHEN WE RUINED YOUR HOMECOMING. YOU MUST HAVE BEEN SMOKING SOME OF HIS HASH....I MEAN STASH

Different player... you're thinking of Brandon Andrews, who was the player who dropped the ball while GSU was driving for what would have been the winning score in 2003 as GSU lost its homecoming to the Willie Simmons (an upstanding cadet if there ever was one- one year rent-a-player) led bellhops.

Andrews got his degree two or three years ago and his little brother is #21on this year's team. Neither have ever been in even a hint of trouble to my recollection.

We'll see what happens with Rozier... my guess is nothing but we'll see how things play out. By the tenor of this thread there are going to be some mighty disappointed fans of GSU's rivals when this whole thinig amounts to nothing.

citdog
July 30th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Different player... you're thinking of Brandon Andrews, who was the player who dropped the ball while GSU was driving for what would have been the winning score in 2003 as GSU lost its homecoming to the Willie Simmons (an upstanding cadet if there ever was one- one year rent-a-player) led bellhops.

Andrews got his degree two or three years ago and his little brother is #21on this year's team. Neither have ever been in even a hint of trouble to my recollection.

We'll see what happens with Rozier... my guess is nothing but we'll see how things play out. By the tenor of this thread there are going to be some mighty disappointed fans of GSU's rivals when this whole thinig amounts to nothing.

willie simmons beat y'all alright.......by handing the ball off to Cadet Neheimah Broughton (washington redskins). it was Austin i was speaking of i guess.

blueballs
July 30th, 2008, 05:11 PM
willie simmons beat y'all alright.......by handing the ball off to Cadet Neheimah Broughton (washington redskins). it was Austin i was speaking of i guess.

It was Andrews who fumbled... Austin was injured and DNP against y'all.

Broughton was a heckuva player for y'all.xnodx

Cap'n Cat
July 30th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Man, I don't know who's worse about arrest shiat, Georgia Southern fans or Montana fans!

:D :D :D

SoCon48
July 30th, 2008, 07:35 PM

We figured that.

Eaglesrus
July 30th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Funding...

The funds were recently increased.

So, does that mean you're thinking you can buy a championship now?

The Cats
July 30th, 2008, 08:14 PM
So, does that mean you're thinking you can buy a championship now?

and that would be a bad thing???????

SoCon48
July 31st, 2008, 04:32 AM

If he had done this to a white Lexus in the hood, he would have been shot on the spot.