PDA

View Full Version : Fordham Makes List of Best College Nicknames Ever

JoltinJoe
July 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM
The 12 Greatest College Football Nicknames of All Time (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/41644-the-12-greatest-college-football-nicknames-of-all-time#comments)

2. Seven Blocks Of Granite— Term associated with the powerful offensive line of 1936 Fordham Rams, anchored by the ferocious Vince Lombardi and coached by Jim Crowley.

Fordham was the only FCS school on the list.

Funny how history re-writes itself. Yes, Vince Lombardi was a member of the Seven Blocks line, and yes, he went on ultimately to become the most famous member of the line.

But the anchors of that line were College Hall of Famer and NFL Hall of Famer Alex Wojciechowiz; and College Hall of Famer Ed Franco.

mebisonII
July 28th, 2008, 03:05 PM
The 12 Greatest College Football Nicknames of All Time (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/41644-the-12-greatest-college-football-nicknames-of-all-time#comments)

2. Seven Blocks Of Granite— Term associated with the powerful offensive line of 1936 Fordham Rams, anchored by the ferocious Vince Lombardi and coached by Jim Crowley.

Fordham was the only FCS school on the list.

Funny how history re-writes itself. Yes, Vince Lombardi was a member of the Seven Blocks line, and yes, he went on ultimately to become the most famous member of the line.

But the anchors of that line were College Hall of Famer and NFL Hall of Famer Alex Wojciechowiz; and College Hall of Famer Ed Franco.

Only FCS school, but Erk Russell makes a cameo! (admittedly, not while at GS)

Cool list!

JoltinJoe
July 29th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Only FCS school, but Erk Russell makes a cameo! (admittedly, not while at GS)

Cool list!

12. Junkyard Dogs—Name given the 1976 defense that took Georgia to the Sugar Bowl. ached by the late Erk Russell who once threw a live snake into a team meeting to promote drug awareness. Don't ask me. generally applies to any Georgia defense since '76.

xlolx
Off the top of my head, not grasping the link between the snake and drug awareness, but it must have worked. The guy's a legend.

andy7171
July 29th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I was hoping to see Towson listed, the Tiger mascot is so friggin original!

Ivytalk
July 29th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Awright, Fordham!xthumbsupx xbowx

bobbythekidd
July 29th, 2008, 08:38 AM
ached by the late Erk Russell who once threw a live snake into a team meeting to promote drug awareness. Don't ask me. generally applies to any Georgia defense since '76.

xlolx
Off the top of my head, not grasping the link between the snake and drug awareness, but it must have worked. The guy's a legend.
He threw a snake into the middle of the meeting. The players ran out of the room.

Later, he told them that the snake would kill any of them and not feel bad about it. Drugs are the same way. He told them to run away from drugs the same way they ran away from the snake.

appfan2008
July 29th, 2008, 12:02 PM
he is a legend if there ever was one... and a football genious too..