PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iowa/Illinois State

ISUMatt
October 19th, 2005, 01:40 PM
I read that Mr Sanders is still weeks away from playing. My UNI brothers, what can we here at ILS expect to see out of Mr Hill??? How has UNI looked on D stopping the run and if they key on the run, can Laurent Robinson run wild in 1 on 1 coverage?? COming off a huge win at SIU and with UNI missing Sanders, this looks like as good a time as ever to knock off the Panthers this weekend. What can we expect from the UNI offense...any thoughts from you guys on this game at all...Ill get into predictions later this week

ISUMatt
October 19th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Official Line

Oct-22 NORTHERN IOWA +12
1:30 PM ILLINOIS STATE -12

Let the predictions begin!!!

crunifan
October 19th, 2005, 03:32 PM
I think Illinois State will win it, but it will be a close game. Dexter Hill has not impressed me whatsoever. If Sanders were here, I think UNI would take it, but he isn't and that is not good for the Panthers. UNI is getting better defensively though, so they should be able to stop the run pretty well. Reguardless of who wins, I think it will be much closer than Illinois State's game last week and should be an entertaining game to watch. Huge game for both teams.

Bub
October 19th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Iowa's receiver Soloman was able to get behind UNI's DBs. ILS Robinson has shown he can go deep(IaSU), look for him to get the ball.

Reed Rothchild
October 19th, 2005, 04:04 PM
I read that Mr Sanders is still weeks away from playing. My UNI brothers, what can we here at ILS expect to see out of Mr Hill??? How has UNI looked on D stopping the run and if they key on the run, can Laurent Robinson run wild in 1 on 1 coverage?? COming off a huge win at SIU and with UNI missing Sanders, this looks like as good a time as ever to knock off the Panthers this weekend. What can we expect from the UNI offense...any thoughts from you guys on this game at all...Ill get into predictions later this week

I wish I could be more optimistic for my Panthers, but this game really concerns me.

1st off, UNI has a history of tanking it in Normal. We have a hard time playing there for some reason

Laruent Robinson will kill us. Our corners gamble too much and make too many big mistakes. I saw him play at Iowa State and our DB's are no better than theirs. We all know what happened there. We have also had a lot of problems coving runningbacks out of the backfield on passing plays whenever we play the 'Birds.

Our offense will be fine. Our oline is healthy and is the most solid its been in years. We have so many weapons it will be hard to defend all of them. Hill will be fine. He has had 1.75 games to get it figured out. In the game vs Indiana State, our coaches kept it simple and hid Hill's true ability. The key will be if we can get our runningame going and which Terrence Freeney decides to show up.

I am really hoping that the Panthers can catch the Redbirds in a "letdown" situation. Denver Johnson's teams historically seem inconsistent and I'm hoping the 'Birds are suffering from a Saluki hangover. There is something different, however about this Illinois State team that worries me.

PantherMan
October 19th, 2005, 04:43 PM
If Freeney shows up, it's game on. If not...Illinois State by 14.

igo4uni
October 19th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I think Illinois State has played very, very well this year. They gave Iowa State all they wanted and more and of course vs. SIU last week. I think the UNI defense needs work (especially db's) and if Hill has a shaky game Illinois State could definitely win this one.

I would feel better if this one was in the UNI-Dome.

peace

igo4uni

windwalker
October 19th, 2005, 05:20 PM
ISU - 34
UNI - 18

Pantherpower
October 19th, 2005, 05:26 PM
To me, it all comes down to how we come out of the gate. The ideal situation for UNI would be to establish a solid ground game early and STICK TO IT. Nothing takes a home crowd out of the game more than the visiting team's ability to run the ball. Furthermore, it seems that a strong running game makes the home team "press" a little more when they do get the ball. I look at what WKU has done to the Panthers in the UNI-Dome with their ground game....frustrating as heck to watch as a fan. Most of the time I don't know what I'm talking about and this time is probably no different. But for what it's worth, if UNI sets the tone early with the ground game and doesn't let it get out of control early where we would have to abandon the ground game, the Panthers should make it interesting.

Pantherpower
October 19th, 2005, 05:28 PM
ISU - 34 NIU - 18

Are the Redbirds playing the Huskies? I thought UNI was on the schedule this weekend ;)

ISUMatt
October 19th, 2005, 05:31 PM
ISU - 34
NIU - 18

WHO???

Cap'n Cat
October 19th, 2005, 05:43 PM
God, I hate to say this, but -

ILSU 44
UNI 18

:( :( :( :(

ISUMatt
October 19th, 2005, 05:45 PM

ILSU 44
UNI 18

You trying to jinx us Cap'n?!?!?!

ISUMatt
October 19th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Any of you UNI guys making the trip???

Chi Panther
October 19th, 2005, 07:00 PM

ILSU 44
UNI 18

Cap'n.....if that happens.....i will be ssssssoooooooo disappointed.

With all this deserved respect for Ill St......does it mean that WKU and YSU are THAT GOOD????

Normal, IL On The Spot Weather

Forecast Conditions High/Low °F Precip.
Chance High TemperaturesLow TemperaturesPrecipitation
Tonight
Oct 19 Showers Late
N/A/45° 30%

Thu
Oct 20 T-Showers
57°/44° 70%
57°F

Check Flight Delays
Fri
Oct 21 Showers
58°/41° 40%
58°F

Sat
Oct 22 Few Showers
56°/38° 30%
56°F

Sun
Oct 23 Few Showers
52°/35° 30%
52°F

shakdaddy3
October 19th, 2005, 07:13 PM
I just read that there are only 100 tickets left to sell for the game. Hancock can be just as loud as any stadium, especially with the huge family day crowd comin in. We got a tough team that has had a couple heartbreaking losses, but if you can bounce back from those to beat SIU AT HOME then that's impressive. In my opinion, the only team that can bed the Redbirds are the Redbirds themselves. If you don't believe it, then check out their losses and see how many more turnovers and penaltys we accumulate.

GO YOU REDBIRDS!

P.S. Brent Hwakins is rediculously good and he will be a key factor for ISU to stop the UNI offense that I know can be high powered when it gets in gear.

ISUMatt
October 19th, 2005, 07:20 PM
I keep mentioning AGS on RBF and now I go from the only ILS fan on here to having 2 more with me!!!

skinny_uncle
October 19th, 2005, 08:02 PM
I keep mentioning AGS on RBF and now I go from the only ILS fan on here to having 2 more with me!!!
The bandwagon has begun.
:D

Reed Rothchild
October 19th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Any of you UNI guys making the trip???

Unfortunately I won't be able to. Med School is keeping this Pantherfan down. But, I will have my radio close by!

shakdaddy3
October 19th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't call myself a bandwagoner. I've been to pretty much EVERY game home and away in the last 4 years. I know what the Redbirds are capable of and each year I've been here the attitude is better, the players are better, and the coaching is better. This is a special group of players that ISU has now and for the future. Watch out ladies and gentleman of I-AA football...

GO YOU REDBIRDS!

Holla atcha Matty from ISU! Hope you can enjoy the helluva game that's gonna be played this Saturday. :D

Oh, how sweet is it that AGS has us at 25... you guys know what's up!!!

nmatsen
October 20th, 2005, 06:59 AM
ISU - 34
NIU - 18

WE ARE NOT NORTHERN ILLINOIS ITS U-N-I!

primetime21
October 20th, 2005, 07:34 AM
I agree that UNI's dbacks will have to really step their game up, but so will our offensive coordinator. Sanders going down didn't lose the Missouri game, poor play calling was a major part of it. Our offense needs to start using what's there. The long ball is sweet, but the short stuff is there all day, every day and it seems like we go to it about once a game. We've got it all if Solomon would only use it.

ISUMatt
October 20th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Well its Family Day in Normal and the crowd will be big and loud...

Illinois State 37
Northern Iowa 28

Paladin1aa
October 20th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I remember being laughed at after YSU beat ILS, calling them inferior and a nobody. Who's laughing now ??

ILS is tough and a decent team. We had our hands full beating them. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm inclined to pick ILS.

That will not only validate ILS, but also put to rest this nonsense about YSU.

ILS 38 - 24.

Chi Panther
October 20th, 2005, 11:39 PM
I remember being laughed at after YSU beat ILS, calling them inferior and a nobody. Who's laughing now ??

ILS is tough and a decent team. We had our hands full beating them. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm inclined to pick ILS.

ILS 38 - 24.

Sorry Champ.....YSU is solid...but still have to bring it to CF.....

PantherMan
October 21st, 2005, 01:23 AM

ILS 38 - 24.

Only problem with YSU is that they have 3, maybe 4 losses left on their schedule...

PMB4Life
October 21st, 2005, 08:21 AM
Well its Family Day in Normal and the crowd will be big and loud...

Illinois State 37
Northern Iowa 28

In the past, UNI's Family Weekends were always big crowds, but they've been very quiet and whiny as of late "Sit down!" "Sit Down!" they are constantly heard to say. While we usually bring in around 13,500, they're always the most quiet crowd. I'll still take 12,000 of the loud fansany day.

I sincerely hope the situation is different at Illnois State, though. Maybe you have some really rockin' moms and dads. :D

ISUMatt
October 21st, 2005, 10:56 AM
Actually for the first time since 1999, the students and season ticket holders are really behind this team!!!

Paladin1aa
October 21st, 2005, 11:01 AM
Exactly, Ralph. You couldn't watch that ILS-YSU game and say there was a bad team on the field. Both played well and tough.

BTW, did you ever find your you-know-what ??

PantherMan
October 21st, 2005, 12:30 PM
Actually for the first time since 1999, the students and season ticket holders are really behind this team!!!

Fairweather fans...gotta love 'em! :p

igo4uni
October 21st, 2005, 04:06 PM
Fairweather fans...gotta love 'em! :p

I wish more fairweather fans would put their butts in the UNI-Dome seats!!

peace

igo4uni

skinny_uncle
October 21st, 2005, 04:15 PM
Do you have foul weather in the Dome????????
:confused:

Reed Rothchild
October 21st, 2005, 04:51 PM
Do you have foul weather in the Dome????????

Yeah. A couple of years ago we had to practice in the Dome at the same time they made repairs to the support system of the roof. Nothing like practicing with cranes and other construction equiment pumping exaust into a confined space (cough, cough)!

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 01:41 AM
I think I'm going to just keep on drinking until kick off!

ISUMatt
October 22nd, 2005, 08:03 AM
Well good luck my Northern Iowa friends, Im off to Normal, after the World Series game tonight Ill post some of the pics I take at the game today!!

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2005, 10:38 AM
Good luck to you, Matt. Glad you could work I and normal into the same sentence.

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 01:22 PM
Almost ready for kickoff

Tod
October 22nd, 2005, 01:27 PM
Good luck to you, Matt. Glad you could work I and normal into the same sentence.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
All year UNI has deferred to the second half....I don't like that with our Defense.....IL State on the march....

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 01:39 PM
Ill State scores on first drive....converting couple big 3rd downs.....but misses PAT.

6-0 Ill State....

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
14-0 Ill State.....1st Quarter

UNI's back up QB better be ready to play.....

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
I tried to warn you this was a dangerous game.......

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 01:55 PM
I understand Ill State is good....every team in the Gateway is....

But imagine if SIU had to play without Sambrusky......

Pantherpower
If the Panthers don't convert on this series, it will be a very long afternoon. Stick with the run.

crunifan
I'm sorry, but Dexter Hill is worthless...

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Very frustrating that we're passing on 1st down. Run the dang ball!!!!!!!!!!!

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree that Dexter is worthless. The kid is making good decisions. We simply need to run it more, whether Sanders or Hill is in there.

crunifan
October 22nd, 2005, 01:59 PM
He can make good decisions, but his accuracy is just not anywhere near it should be. He always seems to pass too far. And even a lot of his good passes look "lucky."

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 02:01 PM
Huge conversion.....Lindgren is playing great!

crunifan
October 22nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
How do the Rebirds have 14 points? Didn't they piss the first extra point, so did they get a two point conversion?

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 02:03 PM
Killer turnover :(

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 02:03 PM
I can't believe we fumbled it inside the 10 yard line......we did that 3 times against Indie State

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 02:04 PM
Yes, they got a two point conversion to Robinson.

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 02:05 PM
Our defense is apparantly uninspired. :confused:

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 02:07 PM
Absolutely need to get a stop here. 3rd and 1 for the Birds end of 1st quarter 14-0 Redbirds.

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 02:07 PM
P-power....i honestly don't think our defense is good enough to go out and stop someone on the first possesion of the game......when we win the coin toss our offense needs to go out and get us the lead.....

I still don't get that. We've been doing all year.

IF Sanders is not back next week.....I will be soooo frustrated. This team has way tooo much talent to let the year slip away.....

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 02:08 PM
Yeah, we did turn it over 3 times inside the red zone against InSU and I was thinking, thank God it's the Sycamores and not anyone else. Apparantly, we're consistent at it :rolleyes: Nice stop on 3rd however :)

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 02:11 PM
Is Horne injured? If not why the heck aren't we getting him the ball? Too late now as ILSU has picked it off in UNI territory. Time to brace for the Redbird WAVE jeezuz. :rolleyes:

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 02:13 PM
WOW.....Ill State downs the ball at the 1.

YIKES!

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 02:14 PM
Well, the Panthers keep the Birds off the board but the punt is inside the UNI 1 yard line.

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 02:17 PM
Once again, the frustrating thing is the Panthers burning TO's carelessly. Willie needs to get the plays into Hill sooner. Same crap happened two weeks ago in the 1st half and cost us at the end of the 1st half. Roll Hill out and get it to the TE.

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 02:18 PM
Another interesting thing....is Freeney has been thrown to alot......

BOMB to Robinson......TD ILL State.....this just makes me laugh.....

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 02:21 PM
Robinson takes it in for a TD 46 yards from Drone. As you said Chitown, our D is not very good at all. In fact, they are bad. This game is looking to resemble the SIU ISU game. You guys will laugh, but it's still the 1st half and I really hope we don't abandon the run. Need a sustained drive to get some momentum back. Keep fighting Panthers!! In spite of your Defense!!!!!

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 02:26 PM
:nod: Need a TO for a td.

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 02:26 PM
We need to play a 5-2 defense.....and REALLY bad for the rest of the YEAR.

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2005, 02:32 PM
score?

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 02:34 PM
21-0.....
UNI turned it over at the 6yd line and also threw another INT....

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 02:34 PM
21-0 Redbirds. About to go up 28 or 24-0, although I don't know how our D can hold them to a FG :D

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2005, 02:35 PM
Kind of miss Sanders, don't you?
:(

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 02:39 PM
Blocked FG and UNI takes it to the House!!!!!!!!!

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 02:39 PM
Well PP.....we deferred to the second half....do you think we will score on our first possesion of the second half????

crunifan
October 22nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
I think we will score a couple times before this game is over. Illinois State will just score more...

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
Kind of miss Sanders, don't you?
:(

It really is amazing.....seems like the team has lost all confidence.... :bang:

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 02:41 PM
Just kidding :D But the kid did miss the FG. Wide right. I would like to say that UNI takes a victory knee but it's more of a put us out of our misery knee. 21-0 Birds at the half :(

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 02:42 PM
I think we will score a couple times before this game is over. Illinois State will just score more...

UNI has scored 52 points in 9 quarters with Hill at QB. Its not all on his shoulders.....but that is not a good avg.....

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2005, 02:45 PM
I feel your pain.
Salukis are tied 7-7 with the Sycamores in the first quarter.
I hear Coach Kill showed up and is roaming the sidelines, but they haven't let him have his headset yet.

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 02:46 PM
I'm guessing we'll actually go to the run more in the first posession of the 2nd half and make it 21-7, but it's too little too late. Can't have a turnover inside the opponents 6 yard line on the road and expect to stay in it. I tend to agree with you Chitown about the philosophy on the coin toss. Accept the kickoff and set the momentum, rather than have the home team open it up on you like ILSU did. Maybe coach is trying to give his D a vote of confidence, but personally, I have no confidence in our D.

Skinnyuncle, yes, we do miss Sanders. However, no way can you hang this dismal 21-0 performance on Hill. The kid is pretty talented.

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2005, 02:48 PM
I just meant Sanders is more experienced and you would probably like your chances to rally better with him.

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:02 PM
Agreed. Wasn't insinuating that you were calling out Hill, just saying our performance overall has been miserable. Sanders would definately improve our chances to rally, but he can't play db for us. Unfortunately, our db's can't play db either. :D

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:04 PM
We are running a dyslexic O. Sweeping with Freeney, Straight ahead with Horne. Passing on 1st down...........

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 03:04 PM
IF Hill keeps running we'll be looking at Nelson playing the QB by the end of the game....but he's moving the ball here... :)

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:05 PM
Nice running by QB Hill.

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:05 PM
Early 3rd quarter and we finally get it to the all-American TE Cutright.

crunifan
October 22nd, 2005, 03:06 PM
Sanders will be back in the Dome next week for Youngstown State, right? If that is the case, I think we can rebound next week. Sanders and the Dome is a good combo for us.

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:07 PM
This is not 4 down territory. If need be, kick the FG!

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
21-3 Ill State

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
FG Good. 21-3 Redbirds with 12:23 to go 3rd period.

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:11 PM
The next series by IlSU will determine how the rest of this game is going to unfold. If the D comes up with a stop, it could be interesting. If not, get Sanders back for YSU. As I type this, ISU brings it out to the 50. Brother :rolleyes:

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 03:11 PM
PP.....why can't we try a 5-2 defense??????

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:12 PM
I don't know. We need a 14 or 15 man defense at this point! :D

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:15 PM
Our defense stinks so they resort to losing their composure. Personal foul on the Panthers, 1st and goal IlSU. :rolleyes:

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:17 PM
FG by IlSU. 24-3 Redbirds with 9:49 left to play in the 3rd.

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 03:21 PM
How have we lost the ability to throw the deep ball.....

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:22 PM
Ground game abandoned by UNI. Poor decision. :(

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:23 PM
Running into the kicker 4th and 2 and UNI needs to go for it here!!!

crunifan
I know it sounds like I hate Hill, but he has never been able to throw the ball deep. During the Indiana State game he tried to throw a couple and they were failures.

Pantherpower
Poor decision not to go for it here :(

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 03:24 PM
Need to start going on these 4ths and short....that was a good punt call....but we need to start getting tricky....

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:25 PM
Kicking the FG to open the 2nd half was not a bad decision, but punting when you're down 21 near midfield halfway through the 3rd period 4th and 2 is awful.

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:26 PM
Like I said, bad idea to punt :D Drone sacked inside the 5.

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:27 PM
Here is where Hill is going to come into his own. 1st and 10 from the UNI49. :nod:

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 03:27 PM
Lets run Horne on this Drive

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
We're setting up a screen to Freeney and not to Horne because????? :confused:

crunifan
October 22nd, 2005, 03:31 PM
Again, how many times have I heard the phrase "pass over his head." :(

Pantherpower
Panther O marching backwards :D 2nd and forever.

Chi Panther
Like I said before...its interesting that we have been throwing to Freeney soo much the past few weeks.....

crunifan
October 22nd, 2005, 03:32 PM
I will admit Hill is good about running when he needs to. He has made some serious yards because of that.

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:33 PM
Keep in mind that if Sanders was in there, they would be teeing off on him too when you're down 21. 4th and 10. FG by Wingert no good. 24-3 late in the 3rd.

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 03:34 PM
Well....I might as well start getting ready for the Kansas at Colorado game in 2 hours......

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 03:34 PM
I'm going fishing, gang. Not as painful as listening to this game. Adios.

galojay
October 22nd, 2005, 03:38 PM
WKU's win over Illinois State is looking better every week.

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 03:42 PM
31-3 Ill State

Very true galojay.....I think UNI has packed up the season unless Sanders can go next week against YSU in the Dome......

Chi Panther
October 22nd, 2005, 03:48 PM
All right logging off for a while.....

Havn't been this frustrated about a UNI team since the Dunbar days......YIKES!!!!!

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2005, 03:55 PM
Looks like the Redbirds are throwing a monkey wrench into the whole conference race.
:eek:

galojay
October 22nd, 2005, 04:00 PM
You're right skinny, I'm glad we got them earlier... they seem extremely confident (with good reason).

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 04:00 PM
Too pissed to fish. Fish would sense my negative charma :D Panthers need to get back to the ground game next week. apparantly they forgot that it is something you are allowed to do on O. Furthermore, when you run the ball, run to your strengths Horne to the outside, Freeney to the inside, not the other way around like we were doing in the 1st half. It is embarrassing to be a Panther today :(

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 04:04 PM
Remove us from the top 25. Replace UNI with IlSU. REMEMBER THIS: IlSU is reminding me and awful lot of the 2003 WKU team that started out of the gate slow, but we all know how they ended up. Fear the Redbirds. :nod:

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 04:06 PM
Congratulations to the Redbirds on a humbling experience. I'm now officially signing off to join my wife for a fine Italian dinner and who knows what else?? :D Meet one of the 2005 playoff participants, the Illinois State Redbirds. Play them at your own peril. :D

galojay
October 22nd, 2005, 04:07 PM
Remove us from the top 25. Replace UNI with IlSU. REMEMBER THIS: IlSU is reminding me and awful lot of the 2003 WKU team that started out of the gate slow, but we all know how they ended up. Fear the Redbirds. :nod:

I am assuming you were actually referring to the WKU's 2002 National Champion team.

Fair assessment. IL State is definitely running on all cylinders right now.

youwouldno
October 22nd, 2005, 04:13 PM
Not to be a hater, but I already had taken UNI out of my poll and replaced them with Ill St.

skinny_uncle
October 22nd, 2005, 04:38 PM
38-3?
That is an ouch.

Looks like a different Ill. St. team the last couple of weeks.
With their schedule they could win out from here. 2 of their last 3 games are at home.
The Birds could well make the playoffs.
:eek:

PantherMan
October 22nd, 2005, 05:04 PM
Congratulations to Illinois State. (Gosh that is getting old to have to say to team's like ISU and MSU... ;) )

REALBird
October 22nd, 2005, 05:40 PM
I say go ahead and send that GFC Offensive POW award to Laurent Robinson after his 10 catch, 243 yard, 3 TD performance.

For the year he now has 59 catches, 1019 yards, and 9 TD's. With 3 games still to play.

This kid is definitely a gamebreaker. Ask Iowa State, UNI, Drake, SIU, and now UNI.

REALBird
October 22nd, 2005, 05:43 PM
Oh yeah.....I'd send the Defensive POW award to Normal as well to Mr. Brent Hawkins.

The Hawk ended the game with his 9 Tackles, 6 of those unassisted, 7 of those 9 tackles were for a loss, and they included 5 sacks of the UNI QB Hill.

DaBurds!!
October 22nd, 2005, 06:04 PM
To be fair 2 of those sacks were at the very end of the game...I don't think he really should have been in there. Though, anyway...We beat a good UNI team. They have a tough schedule ahead of them, hopefully they can keep their head up and catapult us at the top of the standings...that is as long as we keep up our end of the deal

crunifan
October 22nd, 2005, 07:15 PM
Congrats to Illinois State, I didn't believe the hype at the beginning of the season, but with two huge wins at Southern Illinois and at UNI you have proved yourself.

And as mean as it is, without Sanders to catapult UNI's offense, UNI is nothing better than an average team this year. Hate to say it. :(

Killtoppers90
October 22nd, 2005, 07:25 PM
I say go ahead and send that GFC Offensive POW award to Laurent Robinson after his 10 catch, 243 yard, 3 TD performance.

For the year he now has 59 catches, 1019 yards, and 9 TD's. With 3 games still to play.

This kid is definitely a gamebreaker. Ask Iowa State, UNI, Drake, SIU, and now UNI.

WOW! I missed all the action today didn't I? Congrats to Matt and the Birds!

shakdaddy3
October 22nd, 2005, 07:43 PM
The boys played well today, but we still got a ways to go if we wanna make the playoffs... indiana state might be the joke of the conference but we cant play soft against any teams here because we cant lose if we wanna make that playoff run... slow run game today for ISU, but when you got Drone going 22-28 and Robinson hauling in 10 of those for 243 and 3 tds, well, who needs that damn running game? I'm worried about Mizzou State cuz they have given us fits in the past couple years and they are definetly a good team considering they've almost upset top teams too.

Coach Fuente, the offensive coordiantor, as well as the rest of the offensive staff, has done a great job getting the offense to rebound after YSU and WKU... this is an exciting time to be a Redbird!

GO YOU REBIRDS ON TO VICTORY...!!!! BEAT WIU!

P.S. 99-38 is the combined scores of ISU's last 2 games and a big ole goose egg for turnovers... that's why we're doing so good.

Redbird Fan 21
October 22nd, 2005, 08:06 PM
I have also taken ISUMatt's advise and joined this board to get some more props for ISU.

What a great game for the Birds today. Total domination on both sides of the ball for the most part.

The bad part was losing leading rusher (BT) Brian Thompson for maybe the season with a possible tear of his ACL and RB #2 Pierre Rembert for the game with what was called an MCL sprain. Hopefully they will end up both being fine.

If Drone keeps throwing like this, who needs to run the ball!!!

The FSM announcers last week said "Luke Drone is looking like an NFL quarterback out there." This definitely help up true for this game also!!!

Three more wins and then look out D1-AA. The Redbirds are looking to do some damage in the playoffs!!!

P.S. ISUMatt, nice seeing you today in your White Sox Jersey from the birds eye view that I had (can you guess who this is???). Go Astros!!!

Pantherpower
October 22nd, 2005, 08:29 PM
W/o Sanders, we are still trying to do the same things on offense and it drives me nuts. UNI has the ability to run the ball and run it well, and it was simply abandoned today. Really questioning now what our guys are thinking not trying to establish the ground game, ESPECIALLY on the road. Very disappointing.

ysubigred
October 22nd, 2005, 08:47 PM
I'm glad YSU got by ISU before the jet's were turned on :asswhip: I hope the Guins has as much sucess as the Redbird's had with UNI xpumpukex

ISUMatt
October 22nd, 2005, 08:47 PM
Ill be brief cuz Im watching the Sox game... Hill was not the reason why UNI lost, he looked great and has great instincts to get out of the pocket. The lack of the run and ILS secondary really shut down UNI today...Hill had plenty of time in the 1st half to throw, guys were covered, then in the second half, the D-line and LBs manages 9 sacks!!! What I did notice is that outside of 83 and 87, UNI didnt look to throw to anyone else (except Freeny)

PantherMan
October 22nd, 2005, 09:13 PM
Ill be brief cuz Im watching the Sox game... Hill was not the reason why UNI lost, he looked great and has great instincts to get out of the pocket. The lack of the run and ILS secondary really shut down UNI today...Hill had plenty of time in the 1st half to throw, guys were covered, then in the second half, the D-line and LBs manages 9 sacks!!! What I did notice is that outside of 83 and 87, UNI didnt look to throw to anyone else (except Freeny)

No, Hill is not the reason UNI lost. I won't even venture to guess that Sanders playing would have made a difference in the outcome, he probably wouldn't have. However, it seems that without Sanders the entire team has mailed it in for the rest of the season. I honestly don't think that the Panthers are going to win again in '05... Our defense is putrid, they couldn't cover my grandma. :eek:

Redbird Fan 21
October 22nd, 2005, 10:27 PM
Well, we are pretty much rooting for you to win out since I think you still have to play YSU, WKU, and SIU. We still have a shot of tying for 1st in the conference, but UNI has to beat all the previous teams and SIU has to beat WKU and YSU and there would be like a 4 way tie for 1st..haha, wouldnt that be a hoot. O well, I am not really expecting that, just that the birds make the playoffs!!!!

ISUMatt
October 23rd, 2005, 07:50 AM
Ill State is a doormat team!

Look, if Ill State wins this game Saturday you can rub it in my face all year BUT IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! If you want to take the spot on the top of the hill you must first knock off the person already there. COME AND GET IT BIRDS!

The question does nmatsen show his face again or just post under a different name because of the humiliation he brought upon himself!!! UNI guys, you know I love ya, but this guy in particular is gonna get his!!!

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/3681/isuuni4wj.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/4723/isuuni25mf.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ISUMatt
October 23rd, 2005, 08:19 AM
Ralph, I have 2 I-AA.org all-star nominations for ya...

Laurent Robinson 10 rec 243 yards 3 TDS and a 2pt conversion
Brent Hawkins 9 tackles 6.5 for loss 5 sacks

PantherMan
October 23rd, 2005, 12:27 PM
The question does nmatsen show his face again or just post under a different name because of the humiliation he brought upon himself!!! UNI guys, you know I love ya, but this guy in particular is gonna get his!!!

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/3681/isuuni4wj.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/4723/isuuni25mf.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Now now Matt, we all now there are many more shots of scoreboards that show UNI beating ISU handily. Enjoy the win, but do it with a little grace. In all honesty, this wasn't even an upset. Next year will be different, but I wish ISU all the luck in the world for the rest of the season. Make the Gateway proud!

ISUMatt
October 23rd, 2005, 12:29 PM
I am showing a lot of class, that message was for 1 fan only and I already mentioned his name!!! If I upset anyone else Im sorry it was meant for the guy that said we are a doormat and there was NO WAY we would win!!!

DaBurds!!
October 23rd, 2005, 12:51 PM
It didn't upset me at all; but it sure was cold!!

Chi Panther
October 23rd, 2005, 04:39 PM
Congrats to ISU and Denver Johnson. He does deserve this season.

I am not embarassed that a very good ISU team beat UNI.......I'm embarassed with how UNI has top 10 I-AA talent every year.....and the last 2 years were supposed to be something special......and they have turned into real special jokes.

I hope we have the confidence and desire to finish this year strong.

igo4uni
October 23rd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Yes, Illinois State deserves credit for this win.

Peace

igo4uni

Reed Rothchild
October 23rd, 2005, 07:07 PM
Ugh. Another year, another no show in Normal for the Panthers. Congrats to Ill State for the win. The 'Birds caught my eye when I saw them almost take out Iowa State in Ames. They should be tough down the stretch.

I take it all the "fire Denver" talk has subsided?