PDA

View Full Version : DI FBS from Illinois to NDSU

BisonBacker
July 27th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Darius Purcell is coming to Fargo. Transfer from Illinois with 4 years of eligibility, only FCS schools he originally looked at before going to Illinois were NDSU and Appy. Looks like NDSU will get him now anyway. Not sure what happened at Illinois to prompt the transfer, only time will tell how it works out for him but he sounds like a good player with a nose for the ball. NDSU plans on using him on offense as a RB.

From ESPN here is more info
Purcell is a safety/outside linebacker hybrid with excellent ball skills and a natural nose for the football. He plays wide receiver on offense and is a playmaker, but he will end up at strong safety in college. He is at his best in run support when cheated up near the line of scrimmage. He does a nice job of sifting though the wash and getting to the ball. Takes proper angles, shows good diagnose skills and is a sound tackler. He shows explosive burst to the ball and at times flashes some pop upon contact. He isn't very tall, but he plays big and has a sturdy build. He shwos good foot speed and quick feet to be able to change directions and react to what is in front of him. However, Purcell is not a guy you want in a lot of coverage situations in the secondary. He is a short strider and does not show great hip flexibility. He would be adequate holding up versus backs and tight ends, but would struggle against top slots and WR's. He has a great demeanor and has all the makings of a special teams demon. If he is in the right role, he could be productive. Overall, Purcell may not have the measurbales you like or top end speed, but he does show a good feel for the game.

Thundar
July 27th, 2008, 08:33 AM
LINKY??

Syntax Error
July 27th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Sidenote: "DI FBS" is superfluous.

BisonBacker
July 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM
LINKY??

It was reported on WDAY last night. Regarding the Superflous comment there is a difference between FBS and FCS so you are wrong. But if it makes you feel better feel free to comment.

Thundar
July 27th, 2008, 10:31 AM
It was reported on WDAY last night. Regarding the Superflous comment there is a difference between FBS and FCS so you are wrong. But if it makes you feel better feel free to comment.

Aw, too bad the Forum is sooo behindxsmhx

Syntax Error
July 27th, 2008, 10:43 AM
... there is a difference between FBS and FCS so you are wrong...But there is no difference between D-I and FBS. FBS does not exist anywhere in the NCAA except D-I football. It is like saying D-I FCS.

BisonBacker
July 27th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Aw, too bad the Forum is sooo behindxsmhx

That's why it's nice to have more then one board to look to for info ie. www.bisonsports.net

xthumbsupx

bisonguy
July 27th, 2008, 10:56 AM
One small correction, as I was the first to post this on any message board, he will be playing safety at NDSU. Illinois wanted him to switch to RB from safety, and that is one of the reasons why he wanted to transfer.

NDSUFREAK
July 27th, 2008, 10:56 AM
as a running back??

edit: thanks for the correction, bisonguy....really confused that we would want ANOTHER RB

MplsBison
July 27th, 2008, 11:20 AM
What has he been doing all summer?

Obviously not working out at UI.

Has he been in Fargo at all?

BisonBacker
July 27th, 2008, 03:18 PM
One small correction, as I was the first to post this on any message board, he will be playing safety at NDSU. Illinois wanted him to switch to RB from safety, and that is one of the reasons why he wanted to transfer.

I beg to differ on being first to post it on any message board. From the looks of it you were an hour later to report it but that's just nitpicking. Either way welcome to the Bison Family to Darius.

bisonguy
July 27th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I beg to differ on being first to post it on any message board. From the looks of it you were an hour later to report it but that's just nitpicking. Either way welcome to the Bison Family to Darius.

Huh? The clocks I look at show that 6:24 PM yesterday is a lot earlier than anything on any other board.

The story first broke on the WDAY 6:00 sports.

MplsBison
July 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM
More info:

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=30697

Still doesn't answer the question of what was he doing all summer.

At NDSU's level of play, not even an ex Big Ten athlete is going to be able to report to our camp and expect to make a contribution to the team without working out over the summer. I hope he was doing something somewhere if he wants to make the travel squad.

bisonguy
July 27th, 2008, 07:10 PM
He was sitting on his couch eating Doritos and playing PS3 all summer. I read it on GoBison.com

Herdman
July 27th, 2008, 07:26 PM
UI needed some RB depth after Mendenhall left early. Freshman facing redshirt usually do what they're ask (told), but I guess he didn't get the message. No crying in Champaign after this departure.

Bison "FANatic"
July 28th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Was this reported on Gobison.com. You know if it is not on Gobison it has not happened. ;) xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx