PDA

View Full Version : Kid Brewer photo update 7/21, 7/23

The Moody1
July 23rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28896734@N06/sets/72157606339723221/

I took these while my son was at baseball camp this week. I know I mis-spelled "Kidd" but I can't correct the subject line.

thmst30
July 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Nice, thanks!

Also, does anybody know what the hell this is?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3086/2696270935_2a79090bec.jpg

The Moody1
July 23rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Nice, thanks!

I think it is for the steps to the upper deck.

Skjellyfetti
July 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
I think it's going to be a swingset

GreatAppSt
July 23rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
Nice, thanks!

concert speaker towers

AppAlum2003
July 23rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
It's modern art... CC paid big bucks for it.

MplsBison
July 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
You're going to be seeing a lot more of those fieldturf baseball fields.

Appguy
July 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
I think it is for the steps to the upper deck.

its way in front of them up by the lower seats isnt it?
possibly a platform at the ground level from further back behind it?

possibly to stop the streakers since this seems to be where they always get on the field level

HighRyder08
July 23rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
from my understanding its the steps that will lead up to the second story seats

Reed Rothchild
July 23rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Not an hour goes by on this site before there is another App thread started...

rudy1648
July 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM

Yeah,,,ain't it great?

tarmac
July 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
just can't get it in my mind how those ramps/stairs ae going to work and that pic makes it worse.

thmst30
July 23rd, 2008, 10:56 PM
Stairs? So I take it this "rendering" is inaccurate. Because it shows it being like the West side and having tunnels to come through and then walk up to your seats. To me that would be so much better than having a ramp/stairwell attached to the side.

http://www.goasu.com/autoimage/pz5RW2H.jpg

GreatAppSt
July 23rd, 2008, 11:40 PM
I'm telling ya it's for the new speaker stacks.

http://www.magnetmafia.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/3-19-08%20beta%20opening/bttf.jpg

KiddBrewer
July 24th, 2008, 12:03 AM
from what i hear, they assumed that if you wanted to watch the game bad enough you would find your one way up to the second level....xcoffeex

appfan2008
July 24th, 2008, 07:30 AM
great pics... thanks for them...

time will tell us what those weird pieces of medal are...

tarmac
July 24th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Stairs? So I take it this "rendering" is inaccurate. Because it shows it being like the West side and having tunnels to come through and then walk up to your seats. To me that would be so much better than having a ramp/stairwell attached to the side.

http://www.goasu.com/autoimage/pz5RW2H.jpg

Yes highly inaccurate.

appstate38
July 24th, 2008, 07:59 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28896734@N06/sets/72157606339723221/

I took these while my son was at baseball camp this week. I know I mis-spelled "Kidd" but I can't correct the subject line.

Moody,

Great Pics, I wish somebody would remove the grass/weeds from the top of "The Rock" monument.

The Moody1
July 24th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Moody,

Great Pics, I wish somebody would remove the grass/weeds from the top of "The Rock" monument.

I almost went and bought some round-up. :)

appfan2008
July 24th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I almost went and bought some round-up. :)

i think the whole rock idea was silly to begin with but now it just looks dumb and unkept up (is that a word?) somebody needs to get rid of that grass

AppAlum2003
July 24th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah, when I read the report on goasu.com that Appalachian got two big "boulders" from Grandfather Mountain, I was expecting actual boulders... not a "kinda big" mossy piece of rubble. Oh well.

APPStrongNC
July 24th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Nice Photos. I will be rocking it in SEC 216 ROW D this year.

AppIAA
July 24th, 2008, 09:18 AM
i think the whole rock idea was silly to begin with but now it just looks dumb and unkept up (is that a word?) somebody needs to get rid of that grass

When I first heard about the idea, I thought it was a good idea. But then the rock came in, and it was A LOT smaller than I imagined. I expected a HUGE boulder - not a rock with grass/weeds/fungus growing all over it.

AppAlum2003
July 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM
When I first heard about the idea, I thought it was a good idea. But then the rock came in, and it was A LOT smaller than I imagined. I expected a HUGE boulder - not a rock with grass/weeds/fungus growing all over it.

Jinx! You owe me a coke!

AppIAA
July 24th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Jinx! You owe me a coke!

Wow, I completely overlooked your post

AppAlum
July 24th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I have bad memories of "the hill" and the never ending steps

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3211/2697074746_b6677e2330.jpg?v=0

appfan2008
July 24th, 2008, 10:02 AM
wow... seems like there is an overwhelming opinion about "the rock"

tarmac
July 24th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I think it is fine a natural look rather than a blasted out of a quarry look

MountainMan
July 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I like the way the rock looks. It was a natural peice of stone from near Grandfather. They would have gotten a bigger one but the NC State DOT wouldn't let them haul a bigger rock on state highways. Blame the people in Raleigh if you aren't happy not the people in Boone.

Aho_Old_Guy
July 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
http://webcam.everian.com/image.php?cam=howardsknob&size=540

I'm trying to load the Howard's Knob web cam from http://everian.com/ (who we should thank for this wonderful image).

Skjellyfetti
July 24th, 2008, 10:50 AM
AGS should pony up some cash and sponsor the webcam to our stadium.

GreatAppSt
July 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I like the way the rock looks. It was a natural peice of stone from near Grandfather. They would have gotten a bigger one but the NC State DOT wouldn't let them haul a bigger rock on state highways. Blame the people in Raleigh if you aren't happy not the people in Boone.

Exactly, it was a weight issue not a size issue.

GreatAppSt
July 24th, 2008, 10:57 AM
AGS should pony up some cash and sponsor the webcam to our stadium.

$150 for a month would be a bargain.

IndianaAppMan
July 24th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Moody,

Actually, maybe it's kind of appropriate to have grass on the rock at Appalachian State. After all, prior to the Michigan game, the 3 titles & the 2001 Time Magazine "College of the Year," ASU was most well-known for East Hall's feature in High Times magazine back in the 90's. xsmiley_wix

Grass and App State go hand-in-hand. xcoolx

The Cats
July 24th, 2008, 11:09 AM
i think the whole rock idea was silly to begin with but now it just looks dumb and unkept.......

finally, a honest asu fan !!!!!

appfan2008
July 24th, 2008, 12:45 PM
http://webcam.everian.com/image.php?cam=howardsknob&size=540

I'm trying to load the Howard's Knob web cam from http://everian.com/ (who we should thank for this wonderful image).

what a beautiful picture... i wish i was up there right now

asucraig33
July 24th, 2008, 04:50 PM
what a beautiful picture... i wish i was up there right now

And for my FIRST OFFICIAL POST on AGS, I'll say that I'm looking at the Stadium right now as I sit at work in the Plemmons Student Union at ASU. It looks simply spectacular. I love that you can see it from so many different spots on campus. xnodx

Hope to get to know my fellow App fans on here, and of course all the rest of ya! Can't wait for the season!

ericsaid
July 24th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Fantastic, another App posterxoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

It'll come eventually but ofcourse i'm only kidding, the others won't be.

appsfan
July 24th, 2008, 08:06 PM
And for my FIRST OFFICIAL POST on AGS, I'll say that I'm looking at the Stadium right now as I sit at work in the Plemmons Student Union at ASU. It looks simply spectacular. I love that you can see it from so many different spots on campus. xnodx

Hope to get to know my fellow App fans on here, and of course all the rest of ya! Can't wait for the season!

Welcome to AGS. xthumbsupx

APPALACHIANstate
July 24th, 2008, 08:44 PM

Welcome to AppalachianGivenSaturday.com

Enjoy your stay.

furman94
July 24th, 2008, 08:51 PM

Welcome to AGS! I hate App! xsmiley_wix

(had to get that off my chest)

AppAlum
July 25th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Welcome to AGS! I hate App! xsmiley_wix

(had to get that off my chest)

I did not just join but I just started posting here, so hello to everyone.

Also, no reason to hate App, we always enjoyed when FU comes into Boone ;)

appfan2008
July 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM

i feel honored that you wanted to qoute me for your first post...

WELCOME

HighRyder08
July 29th, 2008, 08:52 AM
great pics... thanks for them...

time will tell us what those weird pieces of medal are...

the pieces of metal are indeed for ramps that will lead up to the second level seats. I was in the field house this morning and was given the confirmation

AppAlum2003
July 29th, 2008, 09:27 AM
the pieces of metal are indeed for ramps that will lead up to the second level seats. I was in the field house this morning and was given the confirmation

So it's not modern art? xeyebrowx

appfan2008
July 29th, 2008, 11:55 AM

so will there be ramps on either end of the structure only?

i thought there would be portals throughout to break up the sections like the west side?

or will there be both

asucraig33
July 29th, 2008, 06:20 PM
so will there be ramps on either end of the structure only?

i thought there would be portals throughout to break up the sections like the west side?

or will there be both

From what I can tell by driving by the stadium today, there will be stairs up in certain places to reach the stands similar to the West Side's walkways. There is one set of steps that is in place and already painted gold. I'm not sure if there's a ramp on both sides or just one side though.

By the way, looks like most of the bleachers have been put in place, not sure if they're bolted in but there was a lot of visible progress today from what I could tell.

thmst30
July 29th, 2008, 06:26 PM
From what I can tell by driving by the stadium today, there will be stairs up in certain places to reach the stands similar to the West Side's walkways. There is one set of steps that is in place and already painted gold. I'm not sure if there's a ramp on both sides or just one side though.

By the way, looks like most of the bleachers have been put in place, not sure if they're bolted in but there was a lot of visible progress today from what I could tell.
I sure hope so, it was sounding like that one ramp would be the only way to the 2nd level, and that would have been foolish. I'm sure they were smarter than that though when designing it.

BeauFoster
July 29th, 2008, 08:34 PM
There will be 5 (I believe) sets of stairs going into the deck and ramps on both ends.

thmst30
July 29th, 2008, 08:43 PM
There will be 5 (I believe) sets of stairs going into the deck and ramps on both ends.

Sounds good.

Appaholic69
July 29th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I went by tonight after supper and walked around while no one was working.

Th East stands will have five or six sets of stairs that will take you up to the upper level of seats. These stairs are located directly underneath the seats.

From what I can tell the only part of the seats that is down so far is the treads. I'm sure the bleachers or whatever type of seat they are using will go in closer to completion.

The restroom and concession building is almost completely bricked in. Not sure how much is left but I think they will be cutting it pretty close.

appfan2008
July 30th, 2008, 08:36 AM
i am glad to hear there will be multiple areas to access the upper east side bc our seats are high up near the middle of the that area

AppGrad06
July 30th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I sure hope so, it was sounding like that one ramp would be the only way to the 2nd level, and that would have been foolish. I'm sure they were smarter than that though when designing it.

Would also have been against fire code

lizrdgizrd
July 30th, 2008, 10:41 AM
So where are the pics!?!?!?!?

New AppLaw: Thou shalt not go look at Kidd Brewer during construction without taking and uploading pics! xrulesx

asucraig33
July 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM
So where are the pics!?!?!?!?

New AppLaw: Thou shalt not go look at Kidd Brewer during construction without taking and uploading pics! xrulesx

I like your thinking. Next time I go by I'll take some pics and try to get them up here soon.

appfan2008
July 30th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I like your thinking. Next time I go by I'll take some pics and try to get them up here soon.

please do bc otherwise you are doing the rest of us crazy app fans living long a way away quite the disservice by telling us about what we can not see but would love to see

asucraig33
July 31st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Here's some pictures that I snapped a few minutes ago after my summer class. Now, no more driving you crazy! xthumbsupx

asucraig33
July 31st, 2008, 03:17 PM
One more...

asucraig33
July 31st, 2008, 03:19 PM
They are now getting some railings up and there's a whole new road stemming from farther up Stadium Drive that forks into the concourse and attaches. The concession stands behind the East Stands look phenomenal. I'll try to remember my actual camera next time instead of my camera phone, but these will have to do for now!

Good news, I saw Armanti and Cocoa out on the field with some others working out. Always a relief to see.

KiddBrewer
July 31st, 2008, 03:20 PM
its gonna be..........loud

thanks for the pictures.

SoCon48
August 1st, 2008, 10:30 AM
One more...

Good job.

appfan2008
August 1st, 2008, 10:37 AM
wow those pictures are phenomenal...

so much better than goasu offers...

keep em coming... thanks great job...

i have nothing left to say except... damn that looks good

asucraig33
August 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
wow those pictures are phenomenal...

so much better than goasu offers...

keep em coming... thanks great job...

i have nothing left to say except... damn that looks good

I'm glad you think so. I'll be sure to use my "real" camera next time to get better quality pics. More to come soon! I always drive by there, so anytime I see some improvements I'll update everyone and post some pics!

appfan2008
August 1st, 2008, 01:16 PM
I'm glad you think so. I'll be sure to use my "real" camera next time to get better quality pics. More to come soon! I always drive by there, so anytime I see some improvements I'll update everyone and post some pics!

i would be happy anytime you can give us an update...!

APPALACHIANstate
August 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Great Pictures! Anymore?

asucraig33
August 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Great Pictures! Anymore?

I'll be taking many more and updating you guys. I drove by today and they've got the temporary press box on the East Side up and ready. Didn't have my camera on me, but I should be able to swing by tomorrow to get some shots. There's a section (about 1/3) of the East Sides stands that now looks completely finished as well, closest to Stadium Parking Lot.

The Moody1
August 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
I'll be taking many more and updating you guys. I drove by today and they've got the temporary press box on the East Side up and ready. Didn't have my camera on me, but I should be able to swing by tomorrow to get some shots. There's a section (about 1/3) of the East Sides stands that now looks completely finished as well, closest to Stadium Parking Lot.

Did the seats have backs?

asucraig33
August 2nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
Did the seats have backs?

Looking at this picture it seems they do actually! I'll double check on that tomorrow to see if I can tell more details.

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics22/400/RE/REXASKKNAEOZRCI.20080801213216.JPG

biggie
August 4th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Couldn't let this die too far.

Couple cell phone pics from Saturday, sorry for the cell phone pics. And all I could get before getting kicked out (they should have the gates closed if you're not supposed to be in there).

Painted steps and the 3 temp press boxes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/biggiechad/Rock-b08-02-08.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/biggiechad/Rock-a08-02-08.jpg

furman94
August 4th, 2008, 01:30 PM
What's the green stuff on the seats?

AppGrad06
August 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I think that is just noise from interpolation. In other words an artifact of the image compression and not real

asucraig33
August 4th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Glad you brought this thread back up. I took some more pictures today on my way to work. Nothing too much has changed, but I'll upload them tonight around 11pm when I get off work. They are better quality than my cell phone pics were xlolx .

lizrdgizrd
August 5th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Glad you brought this thread back up. I took some more pictures today on my way to work. Nothing too much has changed, but I'll upload them tonight around 11pm when I get off work. They are better quality than my cell phone pics were xlolx .

xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex Is it 11pm of yesterday yet? xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

KiddBrewer
August 5th, 2008, 01:21 PM
i went by there yesterday and watched a little bit of camp from the hill while i was up there. i was gonna take a few pictures, but it was nothing you all hadnt already seen. not too much noticeably different than the last posts. i saw the Nascar Media Group people there again, so i would expect another piece to come out sometime soon.

appfan2008
August 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM
come on people... change or no change how about some pictures...

asucraig33
August 5th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Sorry for the delay guys, I fell asleep after work before getting on the computer and I've been moving into my new house all day today! Finally got some free time!

Here you go! New pics, higher resolution!

asucraig33
August 5th, 2008, 03:59 PM
More...

furman94
August 5th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Wow... It looks like a completely different stadium! Is the temp pressbox on the East Side going to stay, or will it be replaced? Will the home pressbox be ready in time for Jax?

The Moody1
August 5th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Wow... It looks like a completely different stadium! Is the temp pressbox on the East Side going to stay, or will it be replaced? Will the home pressbox be ready in time for Jax?

The temp press boxes will be converted to suites. The new press box won't be ready until '09.

IndianaAppMan
August 5th, 2008, 06:35 PM
This may be suggesting something that was not even intended by ASU officials, but I think it is wise to have the press box on the east side this year. People (including h.s. prospects) watching the Wofford game and other TV games will see the west side's huge construction project and recognize ASU's commitment to the program.

On a side note, my wife & I got to visit our alma maters (hers, Elon; mine, App) for the first time in almost three years last week. We were both blown away by all the wonderful improvements on each campus. I felt like I had not been to App in 15 years, judging by the changes since my last visit. Elon looked awesome, too. These are certainly wonderful times for Appalachian State, in athletics and in everything!

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Man, that is starting to look really nice.

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Does anyone know what Owens will be used for after the complex is comlete? Will it just be locker rooms? It seems that, between the convocation center & that beast of a complex, Owens won't be needed for athletics offices any longer.

Does anyone know of any long-term, legitimate (not speculation) plans for Owens to be torn down, maybe for end zone stands? I would hope not. I'd rather lose the grassy hill to new seats than the clear view of Howard's Knob.

appfan2008
August 7th, 2008, 03:19 PM
i have no idea what owens will be used for other than locker rooms... i am pretty sure that they have not announced any plans with it at this time...

appfan2008
August 7th, 2008, 03:20 PM
wow those pictures sure are looking awesome... i cant wait to get up there and see all the work for myself...

also... on pictures from the go asu site of practice it looked like the seats were gold or at least the steps were... can any confirm that or what it looks like?

KiddBrewer
August 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM
yea, the steps are gold i believe.

asknoquarter21
August 7th, 2008, 03:28 PM
i have no idea what owens will be used for other than locker rooms... i am pretty sure that they have not announced any plans with it at this time...

The next expansion/adjustments I want is to get rid of the track.

I was reading how BYU did it, they dug down and rebuilt the field itself and added seats down to the new field level.

It would be nice if the fans could be right on the action like that.

appfan2008
August 7th, 2008, 03:53 PM

I was reading how BYU did it, they dug down and rebuilt the field itself and added seats down to the new field level.

many many other schools have done that as well... Ohio State, Texas, etc. just to name a couple off the top of my head

would love to see that as well but i just dont see it happening any time soon... main reason is where would you put the track?

BarefootApp
August 7th, 2008, 03:55 PM
btw, you can see a live webcam of the new stadium at www.booneweb.com/webcam. It often has a close-up of the field from high on Howard's Knob, and sometimes a larger view of the whole valley/ campus. just in case anybody wants to check it out.

furman94
August 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks!

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Yeah, that's been discussed ad nauseum on this site. Don't get a certain bison fan from the mpls started on that.

many many other schools have done that as well... Ohio State, Texas, etc. just to name a couple off the top of my head

would love to see that as well but i just dont see it happening any time soon... main reason is where would you put the track?

Exactly. A lot of people whose campuses are on flat or gently rolling terrain don't seem to understand how difficult it is for ASU to grow. We can't just knock down freaking mountains. Taking out the track is a perfectly logical idea, but there has to be somewhere for a new track to go for the SoCon champs. Could it go between the new indoor facility and the new tennis courts? Probably not; besides, I think Cobb would eventually like that to be a new parking deck to replace the lost spots from where the new baseball stadium is.

furman94
August 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Ya'll could eventually one day be in an structural pickle with all that sprawl and growth!

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Ya'll could eventually one day be in an structural pickle with all that sprawl and growth!

Boone's already on the brink of a water shortage because the infrastructure hasn't kept up with the development at App and especially the increasing number of retirees' homes scattered all over the county. Next time there's a severe drought, Boone will be in serious trouble.

I really hope the legislature doesn't force App to increase enrollment any more than it has. 15,000 is big enough. Where would all these new students go? I don't want new buildings on ASU's greenspace--that's part of what makes ASU great.

Furman won't ever have to worry about that. There at 2500 and won't ever have to add anybody unless they choose to do so, and they've got land galore on which to add buildings if they wanted.

lizrdgizrd
August 7th, 2008, 04:34 PM
The answer is going to end up being to put parking decks on the lower levels of the buildings and building up.

asknoquarter21
August 7th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I think there is a little room up there around where the baseball stadium is....they need to make that more accessible anyway

tarmac
August 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
On the water issue, it's a good thing APP has it's own reservoir which is actually larger then the city reservoir.

IndianaAppMan
August 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I think there is a little room up there around where the baseball stadium is....they need to make that more accessible anyway
supposedly ASU would like Bodenheimer to connect with Poplar Grove or some other road to make a direct access from 105. the DOT isn't too eager to do so though, since their budget is in trouble.

Were you talking about new parking or a location for a track?

On the water issue, it's a good think APP has it's own reservoir which is actually larger then the city reservoir. Oh yeah, you're right. I totally forgot about that. xoopsx I should know since I researched Boone's planning info for a paper.

T-Dog
August 8th, 2008, 01:00 AM
For the track debate, I said this on MMB, but since Watauga HS is moving next year, howabout ASU buy the land (since the tree-hugging hippies that run the town of Boone won't let anyone else buy it) and convert their stadium into a T&F complex. It's half a mile from campus, the bus goes by there and there's tons of parking. plus it already has the amenities for the events so there is little cost in that. After demolishing the HS, build something there to help with the growth (classrooms, apartments, something) and you have a first class track and field facility for a first class program.

And with soccer getting it's own FieldTurf field this year, put Field Hockey at the old ASU soccer stadium at State Farm (after converting it from grass to FieldTurf) and then you can take off all the soccer/field hockey lines off KBS and get rid of the track, dig down (assuming there is nothing down there xwhistlex ) and everyone should be happy. xnodx

If you got a better idea, lemme know cause I don't see any other way you can find space for a T&F complex in Boone without digging into a mountain.

appfan2008
August 8th, 2008, 07:41 AM
For the track debate, I said this on MMB, but since Watauga HS is moving next year, howabout ASU buy the land (since the tree-hugging hippies that run the town of Boone won't let anyone else buy it) and convert their stadium into a T&F complex. It's half a mile from campus, the bus goes by there and there's tons of parking. plus it already has the amenities for the events so there is little cost in that. After demolishing the HS, build something there to help with the growth (classrooms, apartments, something) and you have a first class track and field facility for a first class program.

And with soccer getting it's own FieldTurf field this year, put Field Hockey at the old ASU soccer stadium at State Farm (after converting it from grass to FieldTurf) and then you can take off all the soccer/field hockey lines off KBS and get rid of the track, dig down (assuming there is nothing down there xwhistlex ) and everyone should be happy. xnodx

If you got a better idea, lemme know cause I don't see any other way you can find space for a T&F complex in Boone without digging into a mountain.

never thought about taking over whs but that does seem like a good idea... only problem is I believe that the town is asking for 30 something million dollars... and with town/university relations never good, i doubt they would come down on that number...

furman94
August 8th, 2008, 09:24 AM
YIKES! 30 Mil?

asknoquarter21
August 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM
30 Mil.....umm

I guess when there is nowhere else to expand land gets expensive...

IndianaAppMan
August 8th, 2008, 09:34 AM
30 Mil.....umm

I guess when there is nowhere else to expand land gets expensive...

That's why most of my professors (who of course were VERY well-educated) couldn't afford to live in Boone. Most commuted from Ashe, Wilkes, Caldwell, or Avery County. The others lived in remote areas within the county.

Affordable housing has been an issue in Boone forever.

I really like the idea of the track at the high school. It was a smart idea. xthumbsupx Unfortunately, because of costs, KBS is likely to keep the track for the foreseeable future.

asknoquarter21
August 8th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Thats a shame...it would be nice to be on top of the team like some of the other big stadiums....we could make it sooo loud.

appfan2008
August 8th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Thats a shame...it would be nice to be on top of the team like some of the other big stadiums....we could make it sooo loud.

we already do!

asknoquarter21
August 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM
we already do!

true....I guess I mean sooo loudER

neersnbeers
August 9th, 2008, 01:52 PM
The old video board has been removed to make way for the new "wide screen" one!!xthumbsupx

CSUBUCDAD
August 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM
enough talk, more pics please.........

asucraig33
August 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM

I'd love to help you out, but I'm on vacation until the 21st. Someone else step up!

AppStFan76
August 9th, 2008, 02:53 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29400088@N06/sets/72157606622767108/show/with/2745473347/

These were posted on MMB this morning hope this sustains your craving!!

AppStFan76
August 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29369538@N02/show/

Here's another off of MMB!!

asucraig33
August 9th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Awesome AppStFan76. Those look sweeeeeeet! :)

ronpayne
August 9th, 2008, 03:06 PM
The old video board has been removed to make way for the new "wide screen" one!!xthumbsupx

Lol - I remember when they put that "old video board" in, and started running commercials :-) ::sigh:: the good ole days

furman94
August 9th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Wow.... Those look awesome! I am envious! Oh, and feel free to ship the old board to Furman! We can paint it purple and stick it in the endzone!

ASUG8
August 9th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Great pics! I can't wait to pee indoors!

IndianaAppMan
August 9th, 2008, 04:20 PM

'Scuse me while I while the drool from my mouth...

My goodness. I graduated from App four years ago, and the campus has changed so much that my visit last week makes it seem like I've been gone for 20 years!

GO APPS!!!

BeauFoster
August 9th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I spoke with one of the masonry foremen today, while snooping around, and got some good information. He's working 2 shifts a day, 7 days a week, on a 4 on/4 off cycle. His crew is putting up block on the new building behind the west stands currently, and have the first level almost complete (keep in mind that only 2/3 of the building is being worked on right now - they will start on the final 1/3 as soon as all steel is up and they can move the crane). Several guys were working away on the second floor, and were making visible progress. They were also hanging the steel for the press area of the building while I was there, I'm sure I looked like a little kid just watching the crane carry all that steel into place. I imagine that they will complete that task this weekend, judging from how quick it was going while I was there.

T-Dog
August 10th, 2008, 02:31 AM
never thought about taking over whs but that does seem like a good idea... only problem is I believe that the town is asking for 30 something million dollars... and with town/university relations never good, i doubt they would come down on that number...

The town has turned away potential investors because they jacked up the prices under the guise of "being eco-friendly" or something stupid like that (not saying being eco-friendly is stupid, but it doesn't cost that much to be eco-friendly and the town is notorious for this crap).

They might sell it to ASU eventually because no one else will buy it with all the red tape around it.

And BTW, I think the huge asking price is because of the pricetag that will cost the town for the new high school and they think that's the best way to solve it quickly.

ASUMountaineer
August 10th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Can't wait for FanFest, but that is just a fix to get through the end of the month...

ericsaid
August 10th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Touche.

WCU LawCat
August 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Looks like they have a ton of work to do. They better hustle up!

ericsaid
August 10th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I would hate to have to wake up in Cullowhee. In fact i'd rather not go to college and work at a mcdonalds flipping hamburgers than go to college at Cullowhee, or maybe they have a program for that?xeyebrowx xpeacex

I had to say that because that picture reminds me of how much I hate the dew.xrolleyesx

I was up there a week ago and the sidewalks were all torn up, anyone have any idea when that will be replaced since they only have a week to do it?

WCU LawCat
August 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Sidewalks torn up where? Western or Boone? I know they have been doing some mods to the stadium area etc but I'm sure it will be ship shape for Wagners first game if you are talking about WCU. There are other parts of campus where major construction is going on.

IndianaAppMan
August 10th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I would hate to have to wake up in Cullowhee. In fact i'd rather not go to college and work at a mcdonalds flipping hamburgers than go to college at Cullowhee, or maybe they have a program for that?xeyebrowx xpeacex

I had to say that because that picture reminds me of how much I hate the dew.xrolleyesx

I was up there a week ago and the sidewalks were all torn up, anyone have any idea when that will be replaced since they only have a week to do it?

ericsaid,

this is not the smack board. besides if you were cut loose from mom and dad and could only work at mcdonalds for minimum wage, and your only way out was western, you'd be the dumbest guy in the world not to take that chance.

and as for criticizing western for having construction, it makes me wonder if you ever visited App from 2000-2005. the campus was constantly under construction (it still is), including sidewalks getting torn up, Hardin Street being widened, and the steam system being redone everyone. Students who are at App now get to enjoy the benefits of all the stuff that were contstruction eyesores when I was there. But that doesn't mean I hated waking up in Boone. I loved it!

If Western's under construction, THAT'S CALLED PROGRESS!

IndianaAppMan
August 10th, 2008, 02:03 PM

They'll get it done. Those guys are working their tails off. xnodx

KiddBrewer
August 10th, 2008, 02:06 PM
yea i think theyll get it done in time, as many man hours as they are putting in.

The Moody1
August 10th, 2008, 02:13 PM

You do know that the new field house/press box/luxury suites are not scheduled for completion until '09, right.

proasu89
August 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM

Take that to the Smack Board please. xrulesx

ericsaid
August 10th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Sidewalks torn up where? Western or Boone? I know they have been doing some mods to the stadium area etc but I'm sure it will be ship shape for Wagners first game if you are talking about WCU. There are other parts of campus where major construction is going on.

Boone, the sidewalks to the seats are pretty dug out for pipes but it looks like it'll take a while to get it all back together.

No smack intended on that thread about WCU, was mainly a used as a metaphor for how bad I wouldn't want to be concealed in the tiny corner or Cullowhee. I've been there and it's nice but sorry if that offended anyone.xoopsx

ASU
August 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM

Considering that App State has about one billion fans, that is not so many threads then.
Coke "taught the world to sing".
App State "inspired the world to Do the impossible dream......beat the unbeatable foe, etc. etcetra.

uofmman1122
August 10th, 2008, 10:45 PM
ericsaid,

this is not the smack board. besides if you were cut loose from mom and dad and could only work at mcdonalds for minimum wage, and your only way out was western, you'd be the dumbest guy in the world not to take that chance.

and as for criticizing western for having construction, it makes me wonder if you ever visited App from 2000-2005. the campus was constantly under construction (it still is), including sidewalks getting torn up, Hardin Street being widened, and the steam system being redone everyone. Students who are at App now get to enjoy the benefits of all the stuff that were contstruction eyesores when I was there. But that doesn't mean I hated waking up in Boone. I loved it!

If Western's under construction, THAT'S CALLED PROGRESS!That's about how the Montana campus has been in my two years so far. Between building the Journalism building, building another building right next to my dorm last year, and tearing up about every other parking lot, and now the Stadium Construction we had our fair share of construction. *****ty thing about the stadium construction is that it only allowed one entrance in and out of campus that was right in front of my dorm. It was hell trying to go anywhere from 4-6 p.m.

I'd go back and do it all again, though, if I could! xthumbsupx

ericsaid
August 10th, 2008, 10:59 PM
ericsaid,

If Western's under construction, THAT'S CALLED PROGRESS!

I think i've been going up to App since 1999? and every since I started going up the mountain there hasn't been a day where there hasn't been a construction site in Boone or the ride up. Boone is a construction site in itself right now which makes terrible commuting. I was about to go up the mountain the other day, and there was traffic stopped about a mile or two away from the foot of the mountain. Being a two lane road all the way to Blowing Rock around 8-10 miles roughly going from around 1,000 ft above sea level to 3,000 or more thats a long slow ride. Just would be nice to get up the mountain once in 20 minutes without having to go at 2 a.m.xwhistlex

Should be much faster after their done though. From the foot of the mountain up, everything is a construction site. Trying to expand for the increased commuting up to App. They actually had to start buying out hotels to use for Dorms.xsmhx

Grizalltheway
August 10th, 2008, 11:42 PM
That's about how the Montana campus has been in my two years so far. Between building the Journalism building, building another building right next to my dorm last year, and tearing up about every other parking lot, and now the Stadium Construction we had our fair share of construction. *****ty thing about the stadium construction is that it only allowed one entrance in and out of campus that was right in front of my dorm. It was hell trying to go anywhere from 4-6 p.m.

I'd go back and do it all again, though, if I could! xthumbsupx

I wasn't there this spring, are they almost done with the steam tunnel thing?

tarmac
August 11th, 2008, 06:38 AM
hwy 321 is closed Tuesday and Thursday from 10am to 2 pm. Expect delays other days through week. Weekends the road will not be closed in regards for tourists and APP sports events.

APPStrongNC
August 11th, 2008, 07:29 AM
2001 - 2004 here.
I cannot recall a single day (minus game day, weekends and other holidays) that the campus or a surrounding area was not under construction. Back in 2001 they had only begun to start the 321 project.
Love the progression cause it loves you...
BTW have not been up 321 since 04 (come up 221 to 105) so I look forward to seeing the changes come 9/6/08 as we head up the mountain around 6am to start the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

appfan2008
August 11th, 2008, 07:30 AM
the pictures a few pages back (which is the purpose for this thread) were amazing... i especially love the behind the scenes look at the constructions...

thanks to who ever took those... cant wait for more!

AppGrad06
August 11th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Someone did some extreme construction site trespassing to get that one set, and it payed off. awesome pics!

biggie
August 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I know cabinets were going into the concessions areas today. Still seems like a lot to get done in about 25 days.

appfan2008
August 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I know cabinets were going into the concessions areas today. Still seems like a lot to get done in about 25 days.

it makes you wonder what was going on about 5 or 6 months ago when we were all wodering what was taking so long and why nothing was changing...

IndianaAppMan
August 11th, 2008, 10:51 AM
it makes you wonder what was going on about 5 or 6 months ago when we were all wodering what was taking so long and why nothing was changing...

I'm no construction expert, but I'm sure there was a lot of preliminary work to do before steel, brick, and interior work could be done. They didn't announce the new concourse and new deck until late December. Surely they had to find a contractor first, then get make sure all the design gets done, electrical lines, pipes, cable lines, telephone gets put in place safely (and we know that utility companies are known sometimes for delays). They contractor might have been working on gathering enough employees for a project that large. This is all speculation, but it's my best guess for why there were delays.xtwocentsx

appfan2008
August 11th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I'm no construction expert, but I'm sure there was a lot of preliminary work to do before steel, brick, and interior work could be done. They didn't announce the new concourse and new deck until late December. Surely they had to find a contractor first, then get make sure all the design gets done, electrical lines, pipes, cable lines, telephone gets put in place safely (and we know that utility companies are known sometimes for delays). They contractor might have been working on gathering enough employees for a project that large. This is all speculation, but it's my best guess for why there were delays.xtwocentsx

no doubt all that had to happen...

BeauFoster
August 11th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Don't forget the biggest hangup of them all...the state of North Carolina. They had to approve everything several times before bids could even be called for. It's a wonder that we can even get a tree planted on campus, much less a major stadium renovation!

biggie
August 11th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Anyone seen the walk way from West Gate up to the West Stands lately? When I was up there 2 weekends ago (Aug 2nd) it was still a big trench all the way up. Wondered if they have started to fill that in yet? Figured they would have to have that part complete before fanfest this weekend.

BeauFoster
August 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Anyone seen the walk way from West Gate up to the West Stands lately? When I was up there 2 weekends ago (Aug 2nd) it was still a big trench all the way up. Wondered if they have started to fill that in yet? Figured they would have to have that part complete before fanfest this weekend.

They were installing the steam pipe this weekend. The whole thing was uncovered and they were putting the fittings on Saturday morning. They should have been able to finish it yesterday or today. As for having it complete by FanFest, they could always funnel people onto the track and up into the stands that way. It's not ideal, but it could be a worst-case scenario. Judging from what I saw this weekend, if there isn't anything else to put in the trench, they should have no trouble finishing within the week.

ericsaid
August 11th, 2008, 02:04 PM
no doubt all that had to happen...

I'm guessing they had the contractor all ready and set up before they made the final decision.

ericsaid
August 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM
2001 - 2004 here.
I cannot recall a single day (minus game day, weekends and other holidays) that the campus or a surrounding area was not under construction. Back in 2001 they had only begun to start the 321 project.
Love the progression cause it loves you...
BTW have not been up 321 since 04 (come up 221 to 105) so I look forward to seeing the changes come 9/6/08 as we head up the mountain around 6am to start the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They took out about a 75 ft by 200 ft chunk of mountain out so you didn't have to go around 3 extra curves. Then they filled in a gorge thing on the insde of the next turn so the highway could keep going straight. If you have a heart condition, have someone else drive and blindfold yourself because the ride up the mountain is 110% different then it was 4 years ago.

Appinator
August 11th, 2008, 02:10 PM
They were installing the steam pipe this weekend. The whole thing was uncovered and they were putting the fittings on Saturday morning. They should have been able to finish it yesterday or today. As for having it complete by FanFest, they could always funnel people onto the track and up into the stands that way. It's not ideal, but it could be a worst-case scenario. Judging from what I saw this weekend, if there isn't anything else to put in the trench, they should have no trouble finishing within the week.

From what I read online, that will be what happens. Fans will not be allowed near any of the steal work on the West side, and the East side deck will not be 100% complete either. All fans will access both sides of the stands from the track and make their way to their seats that way. I don't blame them at all for this, as we still really have three weeks to go from Fan Fest to have the place general public ready.

MountainMan
August 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM
From what I read online, that will be what happens. Fans will not be allowed near any of the steal work on the West side, and the East side deck will not be 100% complete either. All fans will access both sides of the stands from the track and make their way to their seats that way. I don't blame them at all for this, as we still really have three weeks to go from Fan Fest to have the place general public ready.

According to David on one of the "around the mountain" segments last week the east side deck is on schedule for completion by fan fest.

Appinator
August 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
According to David on one of the "around the mountain" segments last week the east side deck is on schedule for completion by fan fest.

I had thought that too, but then I read this:

http://highcountrypress.com/weekly/2008/08-07-08/asu_football_fan_fest.htm

Construction of an upper east side seating deck is not expected to be complete in time for Fan Fest, Stevens said. In addition, construction on the west side of the stadium will bar any access to the area underneath the west side stands—fans will only be able to access the stands from the track. The Athletics Department has yet to determine which side the fans will sit on during the Fan Fest scrimmage.

GreatAppSt
August 11th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I can't wait to see this in person, probably Nov-(Dec xprayx)

IndianaAppMan
August 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I can't wait to see this in person, probably Nov-(Dec xprayx)

You'll love it. The pictures absolutely do not do it justice, although I of course appreciate those who have posted the updates. You can easily see the towering new complex from the bookstore. The east side stands stick out almost to Stadium Drive. It really feels like a big-time college football stadium when you're inside. Cannot imagine what game days will be like when everything's finished

For that matter, if you haven't been to Boone in a few years, you'll be blown away by the fantastic improvements all over campus.

furman94
August 11th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I haven't been since that fateful afternoon in Boone in 05... I'm hoping this trip will end better! We just had our Fan Fest "Pump Up the Purple" yesterday, when's yours? (3 weeks? Isn't that kickoff?)

Appinator
August 11th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I haven't been since that fateful afternoon in Boone in 05... I'm hoping this trip will end better! We just had our Fan Fest "Pump Up the Purple" yesterday, when's yours? (3 weeks? Isn't that kickoff?)

Fan Fest is this weekend, and three weeks from that day will be our first home game.

SideLine Shooter
August 11th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Fan Fest is this weekend, and three weeks from that day will be our first home game.

What is the schedule for Fan Fest? Does anybody know?

uofmman1122
August 11th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I wasn't there this spring, are they almost done with the steam tunnel thing?Being in Billings, I have no idea.

appfan2008
August 12th, 2008, 07:19 AM
What is the schedule for Fan Fest? Does anybody know?

they just posted the schedule on goasu... the event starts at 4 with the intrasquad scrimmage at 6

APPStrongNC
August 12th, 2008, 07:25 AM
They took out about a 75 ft by 200 ft chunk of mountain out so you didn't have to go around 3 extra curves. Then they filled in a gorge thing on the insde of the next turn so the highway could keep going straight. If you have a heart condition, have someone else drive and blindfold yourself because the ride up the mountain is 110% different then it was 4 years ago.

AWESOME MAN. I look forward to making that drive in the early morning of 9/6/08. Been meaning to take that route but, my wife like the 221 drive and it 221 is only 15 mins from my house down in rutherford.
Thanks for the update man. I do not have a heart condition, so I guess I will be fine :)

Appinator
August 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/yikaspiral/KBSProgress20080811

Great set of new pictures from yesterday which were posted by someone on the MMB. Looks like they are close to having all of the steel up on 2/3 of the structure and will be moving the crane soon to start on the other 1/3. They also have a couple pictures there that show the scoreboard totally removed and ready for the new one, it's going to be big.

Appguy
August 12th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I dont think I can get over how odd/expensive those wheelchair ramps look...can't they just have seats in the lower deck if they cant walk?

andy7171
August 12th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Is this supposed to be finished by the start of the season?

Appinator
August 12th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Is this supposed to be finished by the start of the season?

The new stands are, but not the press box area. That is slated for 09

biggie
August 12th, 2008, 10:12 AM
The new stands are, but not the press box area. That is slated for 09

Looks like the new press box area could be ready by middle of the season if they can keep this pace. But I'm sure the winter will slow them down quite a bit.

SoCon48
August 12th, 2008, 10:21 AM
It's a loooong ways from being able to be finished by mid-season.

appfan2008
August 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I dont think I can get over how odd/expensive those wheelchair ramps look...can't they just have seats in the lower deck if they cant walk?

I dont want to be rude/mean but I sort of agree... or at least just have one and not on both ends!

AppStsGr8
August 12th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Typically, building codes now require handicap accessible features in ALL of an upgraded building / facility. It's "demeaning" for someone who is wheelchair bound not to have access to any seating area in the stadium. The builders / owners have no real choice in the matter since the ADA codes specify exactly how all the accessible features are to be implemented. For example, every inch of elevation requires one linear foot of handicapped accessible ramp. Build an upper deck and you can either start the ramp at Justice or make a ton of switchbacks.

AppGirl
August 12th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I can't wait to get up there and see it in person tomorrow night at Football 101!

Appguy
August 12th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Typically, building codes now require handicap accessible features in ALL of an upgraded building / facility. It's "demeaning" for someone who is wheelchair bound not to have access to any seating area in the stadium. The builders / owners have no real choice in the matter since the ADA codes specify exactly how all the accessible features are to be implemented. For example, every inch of elevation requires one linear foot of handicapped accessible ramp. Build an upper deck and you can either start the ramp at Justice or make a ton of switchbacks.

Yea I figured this was the case.
I just wish theyd have put the switchbacks behind it or something, they almost come out to the field on the at least the scoreboard side which is just rediculous. They may not impead view of the game but it certainly will impead view of the teams entrance to the field and whatnot which I find depressing. at least they might add some shade for the lower "away" section

BeauFoster
August 12th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Yea I figured this was the case.
I just wish theyd have put the switchbacks behind it or something, they almost come out to the field on the at least the scoreboard side which is just rediculous. They may not impead view of the game but it certainly will impead view of the teams entrance to the field and whatnot which I find depressing. at least they might add some shade for the lower "away" section

Once you see it in person, you will notice two things. One, the ramps really don't look bad. In fact, they won't be all that noticeable once the game starts.

Second, once you walk behind the new deck, you will see that there is absolutely no room on either side for them. Due to the size of the deck and the location of the bathrooms and the turn-around toward the north end of the deck, placement of a ramp would be impossible. We're stuck with what we've got, and I'm extremely excited about all of it! xthumbsupx

ericsaid
August 12th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Handicap accessible everything has been around since the 80's or 90's. Eihter Clinton or Reagan signed a bill forcing every public place to have handicap access.

BeauFoster
August 12th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Handicap accessible everything has been around since the 80's or 90's. Eihter Clinton or Reagan signed a bill forcing every public place to have handicap access.

This answers most questions...

http://www.ada.gov/stadium.pdf

MSUBear42
August 12th, 2008, 09:41 PM
In Missouri, we have to have eual number of restrooms for men and women as well... well "toilet fixtures" to be exact.
xsmhx xsmhx

ericsaid
August 12th, 2008, 10:36 PM

Yeah the americans with disabilities acts i'm pretty sure was passed during Clintons time in the white house, so it's really not that big of a deal. They don't look that bad IMO and I would love to walk up one.xrolleyesx xrotatehx

BeauFoster
August 13th, 2008, 05:43 AM
In Missouri, we have to have eual number of restrooms for men and women as well... well "toilet fixtures" to be exact.
xsmhx xsmhx

Silly women seem to want everything...

xlolx xlolx xlolx

appfan2008
August 13th, 2008, 10:22 AM

very interesting... there sure are a lot codes and such involved

Mountaineer
August 13th, 2008, 02:34 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/yikaspiral/KBSProgress20080811

Great set of new pictures from yesterday which were posted by someone on the MMB. Looks like they are close to having all of the steel up on 2/3 of the structure and will be moving the crane soon to start on the other 1/3. They also have a couple pictures there that show the scoreboard totally removed and ready for the new one, it's going to be big.

I took those. xthumbsupx

Apologies for not getting in closer, but the team was practicing and with all the construction going on I didn't want to get bitched at. xlolx

appfan2008
August 14th, 2008, 08:15 AM
bump...

more pictures from people in boone please...

appfan2008
August 14th, 2008, 01:37 PM
this is current webcam picture of the stadium

asucraig33
August 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
BUMP

AND SOME PICS!!!

asucraig33
August 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
A few more...

asucraig33
August 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
Sorry for the quality of the pics, I didn't expect to get out of work early but I still managed some okay ones. :)