PDA

View Full Version : Nominations sought for most demonstrative I-AA Football Coach

Appdad
October 18th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I just posted on another thread my first time witnessing the great Erk Russell. Though it was when he was with UGA and not GSU he obviously carried his motivating style to 1-AA football.

I would like to see members picks for the most demonstrative head or assistant coach they have ever seen.

Ivytalk
October 18th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Tubby Raymond could bark at refs and throw caps with the best of 'em. But he's no Earl Weaver!

Appdad
October 18th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Tubby Raymond could bark at refs and throw caps with the best of 'em. But he's no Earl Weaver!

Heck, he looks like Earl and he won like Earl....

What kind of team motivator was he back in the day?

Ivytalk
October 18th, 2005, 05:01 PM

I'll have to defer to UD posters for an answer to your question, but Earl raised ejection (by umpires) to an art form. His screaming matches with Ron Luciano and others were epics. He wore reversed baseball caps -- before the hip-hop generation made it fashionable -- to get closer to the umps' faces.

MR. CHICKEN
October 18th, 2005, 06:40 PM
NEW HAMPSHIRE'S........SEAN MCDONNELL!........ON OPENIN' DAY 2004.....DELAWARE..COMIN' OFF UH TREMENDOUS RUN IN '03....THE BLUEHENS WERE HOSTIN' DUH WILDCATS......AN' AS WE ALL KNOW......WERE PLUNKED RIGHT IN DUH BULLSEYE!.........BUT COACH MCDONNELL....WAS WITHOUT UH DOUBT..DUH MOST DEMONSTRATIVE COACH AH HAVE EVER SEEN AT DUH TUB!...........HE SCREAMED AT REFS ON EVERAH PLAY....EVEN WHEN HE WAS GETTIN' DUH CALLS....HE SPENT DUH ENTIRE GAME AT DUH AWAY SIDE HASH MARKS..AS HE CAME ON DUH FIELD AFTERAH EVERAH DOWN...HE BEGGED.......&........DEMANDED DUH ENTIRE GAME!.....:coach:........BAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
October 18th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I'll have to defer to UD posters for an answer to your question, but Earl raised ejection (by umpires) to an art form. His screaming matches with Ron Luciano and others were epics. He wore reversed baseball caps -- before the hip-hop generation made it fashionable -- to get closer to the umps' faces.

TUBBY GOT 300 WINS..ALL AT DUH SAME INSTITUTION.....DON'T GET DAT..BY RUNNIN' UH..CRUISE SHIP!.......;)......BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
October 18th, 2005, 06:45 PM

MOUSEKETEER- DAD..............TUBBY GOT 300 WINS...ALL AT DUH SAME INSTITUTION........DIDN'T GET DAT..BY RUNNIN' UH....CRUISE SHIP!....;)....BRAWK!

ngineer
October 18th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Gilmore is preparing to challenge Tubby's hystrionics. I observed him at the Lehigh game and he was nut ranting, raving, and riding the referees. I think it actually paid dividends in the fourth quarter on some of the close calls that went HC"s way. Not saying they were absolutely wrong, but they we very close, and right in front of the HC bench. Without the prior seeds being planted in the first half, perceptions can be influenced. When he was a Lehigh, could hear the screaming and rants from the second floor of the press box all the way down to the lower deck. The guy is a leading candidate for a massive infarction mid-game.

blukeys
October 18th, 2005, 10:22 PM

Tubby was an unbelievable motivator in his day. Most don't know that Tubby was and is an exceptional artist. Every Week (for 30 years)
he painted a portrait of a senior player with an inpirational message on the picture. My friends who played for Tubby consider the portrait a family heirloom which no one can come near. There was a very clear personal touch to the portrait that reinforced the feeling that Tubby, knew the player, and appreciated the contribution the player made.

Tubby was the one who insisted on going to the Yankee Conference although it meant athletic scollies and not needs based "grants". Tubby's recruiting priorities from the mid 90's on was for speed and to recruiting for a national rather than regional basis. Tubby began the process of recruiting in Georgia and Florida that remains to this day at Delaware.

Some won't want to admit it but Tubby put the team in position to win the NC in '03 as most of the key players were his recruits.

That being said I know of no one who feels sorry for a guy who spends 30 hours a week on the golf course not worrying about Delaware fans. !!!

Appdad
October 19th, 2005, 10:53 AM
"That being said I know of no one who feels sorry for a guy who spends 30 hours a week on the golf course not worrying about Delaware fans. !!!"

I am sure they are jealous!

Sounds like he is enjoying a very well deserved retirement!