1) Fordham 68 (9 first place votes)
2) Holy Cross 56 (4)
3) Colgate 53 (1)
4) Lafayette 48
5) Lehigh 35
6) Bucknell 18
7) Georgetown 16

Courtesy of Bucknell '08 Media Guide.

Can't complain too much, however, I would have Colgate #2.

DFW HOYA
July 23rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
PL coaches and SIDs vote:
7) Georgetown 16

2007: 15
2006: 14
2005: 15
2004: 23

jimbo65
July 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
PL coaches and SIDs vote:

1) Fordham 68 (9 first place votes)
2) Holy Cross 56 (4)
3) Colgate 53 (1)
4) Lafayette 48
5) Lehigh 35
6) Bucknell 18
7) Georgetown 16

Courtesy of Bucknell '08 Media Guide.

Can't complain too much, however, I would have Colgate #2.

As I recall, the Rams were picked for sixth place in last year's pre-season poll so this doesn't mean much. Then again, we have come a long way, twice in the last ten years. Any of the top five teams is a legit contender and there might well be multiple ties for second and/or third place.

Will be interesting to see how we do v. Yale & HC does v. UMass. The Minutemen were loose on defense v. FU in the post season but have a great offense.

carney2
July 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
2007: 15
2006: 14
2005: 15
2004: 23

An honor that, as your friend LBPop has stated, is well earned. We've had this altercation in the past, and I've attempted to steer away from it for the past 10 months or so, but

Stop whining.

Start playing.

No one is doing this to poor lil ole Georgetown. It is a self inflicted wound. No one should be expected to lower their (football) standards to Georgetown's atrocious level.

See ya next year, DFW.

DFW HOYA
July 23rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
No one should be expected to lower their (football) standards to Georgetown's atrocious level. See ya next year, DFW.

You're not getting rid of me that easily! xlolx

carney2
July 23rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
there might well be multiple ties for second and/or third place.

Howzabout a 3-way tie for 1st?! Let's see those do-nothings in Center Valley unravel that.

TheValleyRaider
July 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Seems like a reasonable list to me

Not that it will actually finish like that, as we all know xrulesx

Go...gate
July 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah, seems about right.

MDFAN
July 23rd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Come on guys, everyone knows that Bucknell finishes no lower than third!!!

Write it down.

Andy
July 24th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Come on guys, everyone knows that Bucknell finishes no lower than third!!!

Write it down.

Very bold prediction for the Bison! I'm worried about the loss of two starting OL at LC, don't you have five to replace?

Landis promising a more balanced attack this year. With eight QBs on the roster, you should have enough depth to get through the season;)

TheValleyRaider
July 24th, 2008, 08:22 AM
By the way...

When exactly is Media Day, officially? xconfusedx

I can't find anything on the PL Website

bison137
July 24th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Very bold prediction for the Bison! I'm worried about the loss of two starting OL at LC, don't you have five to replace?

Landis promising a more balanced attack this year. With eight QBs on the roster, you should have enough depth to get through the season;)

After last season ended, I was very optimistic about this year - with virtually the entire team returning except for three OL. Unfortunately in addition to the seniors, the Bison have lost:

1. DE Josh Eden, the only soph position player to make 1st team All-PL last year and who would have been one of the league's top defensive players this year. He is now on a two-year Mormon mission.

2. OL Ian Fullmer, who would have been one of the league's better offensive linemen this year. Suffered a shoulder injury in the spring and may miss the whole year.

3. The team's top WR.

4. A rising soph who would probably have started at nose tackle.

With those four losses I am less optimistic now, although the defense (even without Eden) should be significantly better. They do get Sam Nana-Sinkam back, and he should be one of the PL's top LB's. As you say, the OL is the problem. With Fullmer out, there is now only one returning starter. If they don't throw the ball more - and successfully - the offense will have problems.

Andy
July 24th, 2008, 09:15 AM
By the way...

When exactly is Media Day, officially? xconfusedx

I can't find anything on the PL Website

Media day is July 31.

I understand members of the media will get free lunch, all four of them!

BTW, Randolph O-POY, Romans D-POY.

Fordham
July 24th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Media day is July 31.

BTW, Randolph O-POY, Romans D-POY.

Agreed on the POY's.

Also agreed on the pre-season poll!

xthumbsupx

jdb037
July 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM
After last season ended, I was very optimistic about this year - with virtually the entire team returning except for three OL. Unfortunately in addition to the seniors, the Bison have lost:

3. The team's top WR.

4. A rising soph who would probably have started at nose tackle.

When you say the team's top WR, are you refering to Josh Lovett who is no longer on he roster (by the way, what happened to him)? In my opinion, Shaun Pasternak proved that he was the top receiver on the team last year. So I'm just curious if you were referring to Lovett who made just five catches all of last year, but granted was one of the fastest guys on the team.

Losing Ingram at nose tackle hurts but you cant forget about losing Sam Williams as well who could have been a force on the line, especially at 6-4 243. Williams could have also contributed to our already deep linebacking core as well. After seeing Will Braaf in the spring game and reading what the coaches have had to say about him, I feel a little more confident in our D-Line, but losing the two aforementioned guys definitely hurts.

MDFAN
July 24th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I agree about Pasternak.. he was the only one that kind of stood out in the spring game. Hopefully with 8 QB's we can find on that can be successful throwing the ball. That is if the OC feels so inclined.

DFW HOYA
July 24th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Media day is July 31.

Morning Call: 1
Express-News: 1
Sunbury Daily Item: 1
LFN: 1

Yep, that's about it... xlolx

LBPop
July 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM
No one should be expected to lower their (football) standards to Georgetown's atrocious level.

We can hope...can't we?;)

Truth is that I think the league is getting stronger and Georgetown is not even treading water. And their out of conference schedule is a monster--Yale, Howard, Penn & Richmond. Richmond??? Yikes! No offense intended to Marist, but they (like Georgetown) are not at the level of those four.

But without my kid to root for, I will still be attending two or three games this season. I will also be happy to pay for my ticket--those free tickets for family are hardly free at Georgetown.

letsgopards04
July 24th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Lafayette doesn't have a QB race this year. I think that will help the team. Maybe the offense can at least shine the defense's shoes since they will be awesome once again.

Ken_Z
July 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM
just thought i'd post a message since i doubt we have ever had four Bucknell fans post on the same thread before. today we dominate the message board, in two months PL football.

MDFAN
July 24th, 2008, 02:41 PM
AMEN brother!!! Bison Nation is coming!!!!!!!!1

carney2
July 24th, 2008, 02:46 PM
just thought i'd post a message since i doubt we have ever had four Bucknell fans post on the same thread before. today we dominate the message board, in two months PL football.

Yes indeedy, a revival of sorts in Buffalo. You folks are, I assume, aware that this discussion is about young males with no obvious signs of pituitary problems, and that all dribbling will be done on the bib(?).

Go...gate
July 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Utica Dispatch: 1
Newark (NJ) Star-Ledger: 1

I believe they get the bologna sandwich and iced tea too...

MDFAN
July 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Uhhhh....Buffalo Valley....Coach Nichols and one of eight QB's are taking us to the promised land!!!

bison137
July 24th, 2008, 03:00 PM
When you say the team's top WR, are you refering to Josh Lovett who is no longer on he roster (by the way, what happened to him)? In my opinion, Shaun Pasternak proved that he was the top receiver on the team last year. So I'm just curious if you were referring to Lovett who made just five catches all of last year, but granted was one of the fastest guys on the team.

Losing Ingram at nose tackle hurts but you cant forget about losing Sam Williams as well who could have been a force on the line, especially at 6-4 243. Williams could have also contributed to our already deep linebacking core as well. After seeing Will Braaf in the spring game and reading what the coaches have had to say about him, I feel a little more confident in our D-Line, but losing the two aforementioned guys definitely hurts.

Yes, I was referring to Lovett but probably miscategorized him a bit. I should have said that, imo, he was the most dangerous wide receiver on the team. He had the breakaway ability that the Bison rarely have with their WR's, and I know some of the coaches were really high on him. I'd agree that Pasternak is the best in terms of catching the ball. As for where Lovett went, I don't know. Presumably either academic issues, or got tired of football, or transferred to play somewhere else.

As for Williams, I kind of discounted him because he has been on and off the team a couple of times. He unquestionably had great natural ability but never seemed to do that much with it. He had lost his starting job to Morgan in the latter part of the year. I know Williams missed a game or two in the second half, but even when he was dressed and playing in the last 4-5 games, he was playing behind Morgan. With Nana-Sinkam back, I think LB will be a team strength.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 24th, 2008, 03:15 PM

You must spread some reputation around before...

Lehigh Football Nation
July 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Yes indeedy, a revival of sorts in Buffalo. You folks are, I assume, aware that this discussion is about young males with no obvious signs of pituitary problems, and that all dribbling will be done on the bib(?).

You must spread some reputation around before...

Two on the same thread! That's a record for me. I am seriously laughing here... xlolx

jdb037
July 24th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I was able to dig around a little and I think Lovett is going to the University of Tennessee.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 24th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Not that anyone in Bison Nation asked me, but the Bison losing Eden on his Mormon mission I thought was a real killer to their defense. I agree that Nana-Sinkam's loss last year was huge and his return (if he's healthy) does indeed make their "D" as potent as ever.

"D" hasn't been their problem, though, for the most part, it's been the other side of the ball. I think in a few weeks it will be another battle between Trigg and Lair at QB (and the six below them on the depth chart, of course), which I don't think helps things.

I will say this about the Bison though: they do have some time to get a good head of steam before conference play. Don't discount that win over Fordham going into last offseason, and leading off in 2008 are Duquesne, RMU, Cornell, and Marist followed by Hofstra. If they can go 3-1 or 4-0 going into the Hofstra game, that could give this (still) young team the head of steam they need to make a good run.

bison137
July 24th, 2008, 04:28 PM
"D" hasn't been their problem, though, for the most part, it's been the other side of the ball. I think in a few weeks it will be another battle between Trigg and Lair at QB (and the six below them on the depth chart, of course), which I don't think helps things.

The Bison gave up 31.5 pts per game last year, while scoring 21 ppg, so I think the D definitely gets its share of the blame. The DL was not very good last year - except for Eden. Gave up over 5 yards per carry and didn't have much of a pass rush. IMO they need to blitz a lot more - don't have the studs on the line to try to overpower anyone.

jdb037
July 24th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Part of the reason our D has struggled is the fact that the offense gives them no time to rest while teams pound the ball on the ground against our defense wearing them out as they go along. The fact that we are undersized doesn't help either. Thats not to say that fatigue is the main reason, but it has definitely played a factor in the stats.

DFW HOYA
July 24th, 2008, 06:08 PM
A naive question, perhaps, but why won't the PL consider moving Media Day out of the Lehigh Valley? Yes, maybe the Morning Call would have to travel, but the exposure in a place like New York would pay dividends.

Example: the Big East is located in Providence, but hosts its media day in New York, because that's where the media is.

MDFAN
July 24th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Not that anyone in Bison Nation asked me, but the Bison losing Eden on his Mormon mission I thought was a real killer to their defense. I agree that Nana-Sinkam's loss last year was huge and his return (if he's healthy) does indeed make their "D" as potent as ever.

I will say this about the Bison though: they do have some time to get a good head of steam before conference play. Don't discount that win over Fordham going into last offseason, and leading off in 2008 are Duquesne, RMU, Cornell, and Marist followed by Hofstra. If they can go 3-1 or 4-0 going into the Hofstra game, that could give this (still) young team the head of steam they need to make a good run.

We in BisonNation certianly appreciate any useful in-sights that our fellow Patriot League brethren will share. I think it's great that, for probably the first time in AGS history a thread has been taken over by Bucknell. Is this foreboding? could this be the beginning of the Bison ressurection? if we have all of this interest (ok one thread) will it be long before we have our own FOOTBALL forum instead of posting on the basketball forum?

Will BisonNation rise up and be counted?xcoachx

TheValleyRaider
July 24th, 2008, 06:46 PM
A naive question, perhaps, but why won't the PL consider moving Media Day out of the Lehigh Valley? Yes, maybe the Morning Call would have to travel, but the exposure in a place like New York would pay dividends.

Example: the Big East is located in Providence, but hosts its media day in New York, because that's where the media is.

Well, as we've established, that's why Media Day's in the Lehigh Valley. Because that's where our media is... xrulesx

Moving to NY or DC or some other large Media market would seem to have it's benefits, but you also run the huge risk of being swallowed up in both markets. At least this year, in NY 7/31 is the MLB Trade Deadline, and the beginnings of Pennant races for both the Yanks and Mets. I don't know much about DC, but wouldn't this be wall-to-wall Redskins Training Camp coverage time? Remember the Big East has real name cache and national exposure that the Patriot League only comes close to on the rare occasions that one of our members wins a game in the NCAAs for bouncy-ball

Now, if you could get the DC market to focus on Georgetown FB to complement whatever they've got for Hoya basketball, you might have something....

(Only adding DC because they're a large media market in the PL's shadow. Throw Philly in there too, but you have the problems of both NY and DC with the Phils and Eagles)

We in BisonNation certianly appreciate any useful in-sights that our fellow Patriot League brethren will share. I think it's great that, for probably the first time in AGS history a thread has been taken over by Bucknell. Is this foreboding? could this be the beginning of the Bison ressurection? if we have all of this interest (ok one thread) will it be long before we have our own FOOTBALL forum instead of posting on the basketball forum?

Will BisonNation rise up and be counted?xcoachx

Well, goodness knows you guys need something, after finishing 7th in basketball last year... xeekx :p xrulesx

carney2
July 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM
A naive question, perhaps, but why won't the PL consider moving Media Day out of the Lehigh Valley?

I've been turning the crank ever since DFW posted this, looking for the perfect place to hold Patriot League Media Day. My computer has been literally smoking as I created a mathematical model that would consider average distance between schools, average SATs for incoming freshman, undergraduate student body size, win-loss records since joining the Patriot League, stadium size, average attendance, number of players on the roster named Bubba and average athletic department expenditures for Dr. Scholl's products. Out of all this we get four possibilities:

Boring, MD
Intercourse, PA
Cheesequake, NJ
Cat Elbow Corner, NY

All are real places and would welcome the influx of award winning journalists who cover the Patriot League.

MDFAN
July 24th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I've been turning the crank ever since DFW posted this, looking for the perfect place to hold Patriot League Media Day. My computer has been literally smoking as I created a mathematical model that would consider average distance between schools, average SATs for incoming freshman, undergraduate student body size, win-loss records since joining the Patriot League, stadium size, average attendance, number of players on the roster named Bubba and average athletic department expenditures for Dr. Scholl's products. Out of all this we get four possibilities:

Boring, MD
Intercourse, PA
Cheesequake, NJ
Cat Elbow Corner, NY

All are real places and would welcome the influx of award winning journalists who cover the Patriot League.

Well if it's going to be in Boring, MD it needs to be at the firehouse since that is the only place large enough to hold all of the media.

bison137
July 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Well, goodness knows you guys need something, after finishing 7th in basketball last year... xeekx :p xrulesx

To be accurate, tied for 5th, but who's counting.

TheValleyRaider
July 24th, 2008, 08:40 PM
To be accurate, tied for 5th, but who's counting.

To be really accurate, the whole league tied for 5th last year, I think xlolx xrotatehx xlolx

ColgateTD
July 25th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Nice to see all the usual suspects back here again..:D

Just want to check in and get some 'Gate helmets on this thread to counter all the Bison that seem to have come out of the woodwork this year....xlolx

I have no problem with the poll, except I would flip HC and Lafayette..

Lehigh Football Nation
July 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Well if it's going to be in Boring, MD it needs to be at the firehouse since that is the only place large enough to hold all of the media.

What is wrong with Cheesequake, NJ?!?

Go...gate
July 25th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Boring, MD
Intercourse, PA
Cheesequake, NJ
Cat Elbow Corner, NY

How about Lafayette, New Jersey or Georgetown, Kentucky?
:D

LBPop
July 25th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Part of the reason our D has struggled is the fact that the offense gives them no time to rest while teams pound the ball on the ground against our defense wearing them out as they go along. The fact that we are undersized doesn't help either. Thats not to say that fatigue is the main reason, but it has definitely played a factor in the stats.

Are you sure that you haven't been watching Georgetown? ;)

Go...gate
July 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM
What is wrong with Cheesequake, NJ?!?

It's a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike, for Pete's sake!

bison137
July 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM
How about Lafayette, New Jersey or Georgetown, Kentucky?
:D

I think Carney might like to have the press day here:

Bucknell, England (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucknell,_Shropshire)

It has a pub and public transportation, so what else is needed.

MDFAN
July 25th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I think Carney might like to have the press day here:

Bucknell, England (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucknell,_Shropshire)

It has a pub and public transportation, so what else is needed.

Rae Bucknell!!!xbeerchugx

Seawolf97
July 25th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Rae Bucknell!!!xbeerchugx

They use the wrong shaped football over therexlolx xlolx

MDFAN
July 25th, 2008, 02:01 PM
They use the wrong shaped football over therexlolx xlolx

But it has a pub!!!!!!!!

carney2
July 25th, 2008, 09:47 PM
It's a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike, for Pete's sake!

It's also a state park. Both of the media guys could brown bag it.

carney2
July 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Back to the poll. I'm going with

1. Colgate
2. Lafayette
3. Fordham
4. Lehigh
5. Holy Cross
6. Georgetown
7. Bucknell

(Just kidding about those last two. Should get some reaction out of DFW and the suddenly visible Buffalonians.)

Anyway, that's my thought for this week. By Monday it will be a whole new order.

MDFAN
July 26th, 2008, 07:44 AM

1. Colgate
2. Lafayette
3. Fordham
4. Lehigh
5. Holy Cross
6. Georgetown
7. Bucknell

(Just kidding about those last two. Should get some reaction out of DFW and the suddenly visible Buffalonians.)

Anyway, that's my thought for this week. By Monday it will be a whole new order.

1. Colgate
1. Fordham
3. Bucknell
4. Lafayette
4. Holy Cross
6. Lehigh
7. Georgetown

I say this is it!!!!!!!!!! Although I'm not certain of the order of the last two....

bison137
July 26th, 2008, 11:50 AM
1. Colgate
1. Fordham
3. Bucknell
4. Lafayette
4. Holy Cross
6. Lehigh
7. Georgetown

I say this is it!!!!!!!!!! Although I'm not certain of the order of the last two....

With the key losses of Fullmer and Eden, that might be a bit optimistic for this year. However, with the current depth chart showing only three senior starters, I think the Bison could surprise a lot of people in 2009. Additionally there will also be no more than four senior backups, which means at least 37 of the top 44 will theoretically return in 2009, including all of the skill position guys and all of the OL.

Ken_Z
July 26th, 2008, 12:42 PM

1. Colgate
2. Lafayette
3. Fordham
4. Lehigh
5. Holy Cross
6. Georgetown
7. Bucknell

a thought every week. wow, they say stretch goals are good, but you need to be realistic or else you can get discouraged. we're all rooting for you carney, keep on thinking. personally, i plan to have a thought later today, but i'm not gonna get down on myself if it doesn't happen.

carney2
July 26th, 2008, 01:14 PM
a thought every week. wow, they say stretch goals are good, but you need to be realistic or else you can get discouraged. we're all rooting for you carney, keep on thinking. personally, i plan to have a thought later today, but i'm not gonna get down on myself if it doesn't happen.

That's my warm weather output. Things slow down drastically in cooler weather.

ngineer
July 26th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Just checking in. Got back a few hours ago from Bermuda....Mind is still in the pink sand...However, I tend to agree with the preseason poll based upon whose got what returning. I also doubt it will end like this. It rarely goes as predicted and I foresee some ties for postion and a "three-way" is not out of the question in our kinky league.xsmiley_wix