4. Georgia Southern 44
5. Furman 41
6. The Citadel 37
7. Chattanooga 19
8. Western Carolina 17
9. Samford 10

AppAlum
July 23rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Obviously I like the App pick to finish #1, but I would think the Citadel will finish higher.

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Obviously I like the App pick to finish #1, but I would think the Citadel will finish higher.

That surprised me as well. Would have picked them over Wofford.

Appaholic
July 23rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=1522850

2008 SoCon Football Preseason Coaches’ Poll

Place School (First-place votes) Points
1. Appalachian State (8) 64
2. Elon (1) 47
3. Wofford 45
4. Georgia Southern 44
5. Furman 41
6. The Citadel 37
7. Chattanooga 19
8. Western Carolina 17
9. Samford 10

xeekx xeekx

Citdog in 5............4.............3.............2........ ....

Appaholic69
July 23rd, 2008, 09:18 AM
I can honestly see App as the SoCon Champ again but this is probably one of the closest seasons in a long time with regard to competition in the conference.

Appaholic69
July 23rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
The road to the SoCon Championship goes through Boone!!!

citdog
July 23rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
i like where we are picked.......i imagine it's already on the bulletin board in our locker room. 6th place.......we're just as likely to...

WIN THE WHOLE DAMN THING.

ELON? WE'LL HAVE TO BEAT THEM LIKE A DRUM.....AGAIN.

Eaglesrus
July 23rd, 2008, 09:48 AM
I don't like where we are picked, and wish they had swapped us with THE Citadel, or even Chattanooga. I really would like for our multitude of young players to be given every indication possible that they are going to have to focus on every other team in the conference and take nothing for granted. I would have said swap us with Samford, but decided not to go overboard.

OL FU
July 23rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
I think it reflects what most of us think. A clear cut favorite and a roll of the dice after that. xnodx It pretty much agrees with where I would have everyone except I would swap GSU and El Cidxnodx

furman94
July 23rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Look at it this way, 2nd through 5th is a TOSS UP, with The Citadel somewhere in there too. 47,45,44,41... NOT A HUGE DIFFERENCE! Swap us with GASo and you have it right!

AppAlum2003
July 23rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't assume that the #1 spot is a lock. App has a tough schedule this year and I could EASILY see two in-conference losses.

Elon fans... how's your defense? If Elon has something that at least resembles a defense this year, I could see them winning the SoCon with one in-conference loss.

OL FU
July 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't assume that the #1 spot is a lock. App has a tough schedule this year and I could EASILY see two in-conference losses.

Elon fans... how's your defense? If Elon has something that at least resembles a defense this year, I could see them winning the SoCon with one in-conference loss.

I certainly don't think #1 is a lock. I do however think you are the clear favoritexnodx

08Dawg
July 23rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
I do not see Elon coming in that high. Very surprised to see them over Furman, Wofford and us. Don't know much about GaSo this season, but Foster is gone, right?

OL FU
July 23rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
I do not see Elon coming in that high. Very surprised to see them over Furman, Wofford and us. Don't know much about GaSo this season, but Foster is gone, right?

I understand Elon's rating. Successful last year with 85% of their starters back. Whether they can pull it off remains to be seen but their positioning is understandable.

GSUhooligan
July 23rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
Why the Elon circle jerk? They have a really good QB and a good WR and that's it. They have no defense or running game (GSU held them to NEGATIVE rushing yards last year with our weak defense). If a team has a decent secondary, Elon will be in trouble (See Appy and Citadel games last year.) I think they've made great strides from when they first got here, but I don't think they've broken into the top tier of the SoCon yet. Plus they're @GSU, @Appy and @Citadel, so there's three losses in conference right there. I don't think a team will win the SoCon with 3 conference losses.

gophoenix
July 23rd, 2008, 10:15 AM

2-5 is a tossup. And I think the voting shows that. Whether Elon or The Citadel in 2nd or 6th doesn't matter based on this voting.

Defense looked good in the spring game; actually really good. Nothing spectacular, but they just got the job done against the O. Looks like guarding the rush could be an issue still, hopefully they have that worked out this summer. But the defense is still young (1 senior only). And still lacking depth in some positions. Could be like last year where we start out pretty good, get some injuries and start struggling again.

They have a really good QB and a good WR and that's it.

xrolleyesx

Sour words from the losing team. Negative yards rushing due to the first and second string RBs being out for that game. And that start WR barely played against you due to injury. And we still managed to beat you.

Next comment?

elon77
July 23rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
change 1 and 2 and you might have it right.

appfan2008
July 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
well it is obvious who coach moore thinks will finish first since he cant vote for his own team!

appfan2008
July 23rd, 2008, 10:47 AM
i think that app has a very nice schedule this year in conference... our road games are GSU, WCU, UTC, and samford we should go at least 3-1 there if no 4-0... and beyond that as long as we take care of business at home we should be good...

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2008, 10:48 AM

I have to agree with others that Elon has a tough schedule. Don't see them winning all of those league games on the road. Very tough to win in Statesboro and Boone, especially in the same year.

I really think Citadel could have a huge year.

This discussion is great but as we all know, means nothing in September. That is why we play the games! Even if you don't win the league you can still win the national title, which is something that excites me. If you get hot in November and December you could go from 2nd place in the conference to national champs. Don't you just love the playoffs? xthumbsupx

AppAlum2003
July 23rd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Why the Elon circle jerk? They have a really good QB and a good WR and that's it. They have no defense or running game (GSU held them to NEGATIVE rushing yards last year with our weak defense). If a team has a decent secondary, Elon will be in trouble (See Appy and Citadel games last year.) I think they've made great strides from when they first got here, but I don't think they've broken into the top tier of the SoCon yet. Plus they're @GSU, @Appy and @Citadel, so there's three losses in conference right there. I don't think a team will win the SoCon with 3 conference losses.

I wouldn't really call the GSU defense last year weak... Armanti and Co. had trouble scoring against them when it counted. It's a tough conference full of tough teams... everyone's road schedule looks tough.

If not Elon, then who do you have to win the conference?

IndianaAppMan
July 23rd, 2008, 10:53 AM

Based on what? xeyebrowx

I'd love to see Elon finish second behind my Apps. My wife is an Elon alum. But there's no valid reason AT THIS POINT to vote them ahead of ASU. Now, if Elon beats App in the fall and wins the SoCon, then they'll be crowned champions.

I'm already getting tired of the preseason prediction jumbo. LET'S PLAY SOME FOOTBALL!!!

appfan2008
July 23rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
I have to agree with others that Elon has a tough schedule. Don't see them winning all of those league games on the road. Very tough to win in Statesboro and Boone, especially in the same year.

I really think Citadel could have a huge year.

This discussion is great but as we all know, means nothing in September. That is why we play the games! Even if you don't win the league you can still win the national title, which is something that excites me. If you get hot in November and December you could go from 2nd place in the conference to national champs. Don't you just love the playoffs? xthumbsupx

the joys of fcs football!!!!!

and by the way TC might shock the world and win the socon as citdog has said...

but i see this year being like last year where the teams beat each other up and we could have another 2 loss champion

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 23rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't really call the GSU defense last year weak... Armanti and Co. had trouble scoring against them when it counted. It's a tough conference full of tough teams... everyone's road schedule looks tough.

Our D-line was good, linebackers so-so, the secondary was pretty thin. He is right about Elon's running game, but I still think Elon finishes in the top 3.

appfan2008
July 23rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Our D-line was good, linebackers so-so, the secondary was pretty thin. He is right about Elon's running game, but I still think Elon finishes in the top 3.

top 3 as in third IMHO

elon77
July 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM
elon has only 4 seniors in the two deep chart this year, if they have a solid year this year they should be pretty darn good next year also. but, i agree, all roads for socon football championship do go through boone.

GSUhooligan
July 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM

I, like the rest of the world have App.

GSU and Citadel will fight for 2nd or 3rd

Furman, Elon and Wofford will fill in the 4-6 slots with UTC and Western finishing 7 or 8 and Samford 9th.

phoenix3
July 23rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
1. App

2 - 5. (In alphabetical order) Cit, Elon, Furman, Wofford

6. GSU

7 - 8. UTC, WCU

9. Samford

In the 2 - 5 race I think it's a toss up. GaSo could be in that tier but it will be their D that gets them there.

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2008, 12:14 PM
elon has only 4 seniors in the two deep chart this year, if they have a solid year this year they should be pretty darn good next year also. but, i agree, all roads for socon football championship do go through boone.

That is interesting to note. Both Elon and ASU are very young. Both teams have a ton of sophomores and juniors with their recruiting classes getting better each year. These two should be in the hunt for the title for at least 2-more years.

ericsaid
July 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
No one should be suprised about Elon. They have 21 starters returning this season, its not so hard to believe that they could come in second.

Eaglesrus
July 23rd, 2008, 12:30 PM

Foster is gone, as is the o-line to a large extent. We have nine starters back on defense and a lot of young, but inexperienced, talent on both sides. The QB position will be decided in the pre-season, probably between red-shirt freshman Lee Chappelle, who was declared the starter after Spring practice, and Antonio Henton, a late transfer from Ohio State. He is a sophmore who was listed as their backup before transferring. I really think that the key to our success will be how the offensive line develops and if they stay healthy. If they develop quickly and and stay healthy I believe we will be a contender, certainly at least part of that 2-5 that everyone keeps talking about in the SoCon.

catamount man
July 23rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Being ranked 8th doesn't bother me. We only have one way to go and that is up. BTW, at season's end, I want the entire SoCon fan base to call Cullowhee and ask our distinguished leaders why they thought Kent Briggs was a good hire way back in 2002. In one season, Dennis Wagner and staff will make the Briggs era look like glorified sandlot football. Believe it!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

mtnman
July 23rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
i think elon will be the team to beat after app,if they did not have to come to boone they may could win it all ,but they wont beat us in boone.furman and gsu coming in after that.wofford has never had two great seasons in a row,give them a few years and they will be in the hunt.seems that they are a very good team every 3-4 years.after that who cares

elcid96
July 23rd, 2008, 01:28 PM
The poll is just right. This will be the motivational tool that brings the team together. Thanks.

ericsaid
July 23rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
I like how everyones downplaying what the coaches voted on. Elon returns 21 starters(of 22 for those who didn't know). Ranking them any lower than fsecond would be luducris. They deserve to be where they are at because of how they performed last year and the experience they have coming back.

soweagle
July 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
I like how everyones downplaying what the coaches voted on. Elon returns 21 starters(of 22 for those who didn't know). Ranking them any lower than first would be luducris. They deserve to be where they are at because of how they performed last year and the experience they have coming back.

Then I guess the coaches are "luducris" considering they are ranked 2nd.

IndianaAppMan
July 23rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
I like how everyones downplaying what the coaches voted on. Elon returns 21 starters(of 22 for those who didn't know). Ranking them any lower than first would be luducris. They deserve to be where they are at because of how they performed last year and the experience they have coming back.

Sheesh! I didn't know they're returning 21 of 22. xeekx

If App State manages not to win the SoCon this year, my best guess would be that Elon wins it.

When my wife and I were dating as undergrads at Elon & App, respectively, (circa 2002 to 2004) going to an Elon game was more hang-out-with-friends time than watching-football time. Even in 6,000- or whatever-seat stadium, it was only 2/3rds full (except for App games, which had almost as many fans as Elon did). I know that it's a smaller school with fewer alumni, and that their alumni are much more dispersed across the US than App's are, but I just hope that Elon students & fans are getting the most out of a winning team now that they have one. I think they should be selling out their games and that the experience should be pretty great there now.

Go Phoenix.

And Go Apps!

PaladinFan
July 23rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Foster is gone, as is the o-line to a large extent. We have nine starters back on defense and a lot of young, but inexperienced, talent on both sides. The QB position will be decided in the pre-season, probably between red-shirt freshman Lee Chappelle, who was declared the starter after Spring practice, and Antonio Henton, a late transfer from Ohio State. He is a sophmore who was listed as their backup before transferring. I really think that the key to our success will be how the offensive line develops and if they stay healthy. If they develop quickly and and stay healthy I believe we will be a contender, certainly at least part of that 2-5 that everyone keeps talking about in the SoCon.

Certainly don't see why GSU is ranked above Furman in everything. FU played a tougher schedule last season and beat the Eagles on their home turf.

For that matter I am still of the mindset that until Elon proves to me they deserve top billing, I will remain skeptical. I was impressed with exactly one win they had last year (over Wofford on the road).

seantaylor
July 23rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
That is interesting to note. Both Elon and ASU are very young. Both teams have a ton of sophomores and juniors with their recruiting classes getting better each year. These two should be in the hunt for the title for at least 2-more years.

GSU is by far the youngest team in the conference. Better get us now.

IndianaAppMan
July 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Then I guess the coaches are "luducris" considering they are ranked 2nd.

Huh? Ericsaid was saying that the coaches would have been ludicrous to rank them LOWER than 2nd.

seantaylor
July 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Here is the media's prediction.

2008 SoCon Football Preseason MEDIA Poll

1. Appalachian State (29) 268

2. Elon 215

3. Georgia Southern (1) 191

4. Wofford 185

5. Furman 158

6. The Citadel 148

7. Chattanooga 83

8. Western Carolina 53

9. Samford 49

gophoenix
July 23rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
GSU is by far the youngest team in the conference. Better get us now.

Elon is the youngest team in the conference. Sorry. 4 seniors on the two deep and 9 on the team. GSU has more.

IndianaAppMan
July 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
For that matter I am still of the mindset that until Elon proves to me they deserve top billing, I will remain skeptical. I was impressed with exactly one win they had last year (over Wofford on the road). I've been very impressed with Elon, especially considering how far they've come. I mean, my gosh, back in '02 and '03, they were HORRID.

Last year they beat Ga. Southern, who, like Furman, Elon, and The Citadel, were victims of the tough SoCon and missed the playoffs because of it. They also played App tough and played South Florida very well.

I'm sold on Elon as contenders. xnodx

Cleets
July 23rd, 2008, 03:37 PM

2. Elon (1) 47
3. Wofford 45
4. Georgia Southern 44
5. Furman 41
6. The Citadel 37
7. Chattanooga 19
8. Western Carolina 17
9. Samford 10

Seriously..!!!
Who is this Samford..?

xeyebrowx

LarryBoy
July 23rd, 2008, 03:38 PM
I can't remember the last time that Furman was picked to finish lower than third. The times, they are a-changing....or are they?

Eaglesrus
July 23rd, 2008, 03:38 PM
Certainly don't see why GSU is ranked above Furman in everything. FU played a tougher schedule last season and beat the Eagles on their home turf.

For that matter I am still of the mindset that until Elon proves to me they deserve top billing, I will remain skeptical. I was impressed with exactly one win they had last year (over Wofford on the road).

Just speculation on my part, but I think it may at least partially be based on the perception of our head coach. I think last year indicated that he can really rally the troops and knows how to use the talent he has. I'm not so sure that your schedule was all that much tougher than ours, though. Yeah, Clemson was better than Colorado State. And it's true that you beat us because we missed a last second field goal, but then we beat App State at the rock. To me, comparing us last season is pretty much a coin toss.

RazorEdge19
July 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM

2. Elon (1) 47
3. Wofford 45
4. Georgia Southern 44
5. Furman 41
6. The Citadel 37
7. Chattanooga 19
8. Western Carolina 17
9. Samford 10

Last I checked, there's only only set of rankings that matter...and its not the pre-season ones...

gophoenix
July 23rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
I've been very impressed with Elon, especially considering how far they've come. I mean, my gosh, back in '02 and '03, they were HORRID.

Last year they beat Ga. Southern, who, like Furman, Elon, and The Citadel, were victims of the tough SoCon and missed the playoffs because of it. They also played App tough and played South Florida very well.

I'm sold on Elon as contenders. xnodx

IMHO, Elon, The Citadel, Wofford, GSU and Furman are all contenders at this point. All this talk is moot. They all have good coaches, they have the players and it is really going to come down to youth, new coach/scheme execution and injuries more than anything on who comes out on top. On paper, they all have such strengths and weaknesses that they basically come out even.

IndianaAppMan
July 23rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
but then we beat App State at the rock.
Side note: Here in Indiana, IU has this campaign slogan for season tickets called, "Defend the Rock." I'm pretty sure that KBS was called "the Rock" first, and that Clemson preceded both schools with their rubbing the rock tradition. Copycatting, anyone?

Last I checked, there's only only set of rankings that matter...and its not the pre-season ones...
I couldn't agree more, but this makes for fun pre-season chatter. We're starved for football here and we need something to keep us goin'! ;)

soweagle
July 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Huh? Ericsaid was saying that the coaches would have been ludicrous to rank them LOWER than 2nd.

ericsaid edited his post. His inital post read "lower than first".

ericsaid
July 23rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
ericsaid edited his post. His inital post read "lower than first".

I was thinking first when I typed it even though I was going to put second and indeed first sprouted from my fingertips. I apologize and i'm glad someone caught what I meant to say.xoopsx

phoenix3
July 23rd, 2008, 07:13 PM

AMEN, brother.

seantaylor
July 23rd, 2008, 11:55 PM
Elon is the youngest team in the conference. Sorry. 4 seniors on the two deep and 9 on the team. GSU has more.

Nope. We have double the amount of freshmen and soph's than Elon.

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
Nope. We have double the amount of freshmen and soph's than Elon.

You guys mean the two-deep or total on roster? Seems many of the SoCon teams are getting better and have lots of young talent. GSU is young, so is Elon and App. Good to see plenty of young talent in the league. xthumbsupx

blueballs
July 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM
GSU's pre-season roster has 52 Fr and RSFr, that's a BIG number and when you consider the relative youth on offense entering the season (replacing 9 starters and the QB will either be a RSFr or Soph x-fer) they are a complete unknown.

I will say this though... if you're gonna get 'em it had better be this year.

OL FU
July 24th, 2008, 08:43 AM
GSU's pre-season roster has 52 Fr and RSFr, that's a BIG number and when you consider the relative youth on offense entering the season (replacing 9 starters and the QB will either be a RSFr or Soph x-fer) they are a complete unknown.

Gonna make it three in a rowxthumbsupx

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2008, 12:09 PM

FWIW, Furman only graduated three players off the two deep before going into 2007 and we went 6-5.

Experience and a nickle sometimes won't buy you anything.

SoCon48
July 24th, 2008, 12:47 PM
FWIW, Furman only graduated three players off the two deep before going into 2007 and we went 6-5.

Experience and a nickle sometimes won't buy you anything.

Yep, if they're sorry, experience sometimes doesn't mean crap, but if they were good, another year means a lot.
Like the coach said, " I have good news and bad news. The good news, we have 22 staters returning. The bad news, we were 0-11 last year.'

OL FU
July 24th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Yep, if they're sorry, experience sometimes doesn't mean crap, but if they were good, another year means a lot.
Like the coach said, " I have good news and bad news. The good news, we have 22 staters returning. The bad news, we were 0-11 last year.'

yeah but we were 8-3 the year beforexeyebrowx

Reign of Terrier
July 24th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Like the coach said, " I have good news and bad news. The good news, we have 22 starters returning. The bad news, we were 0-11 last year.'

wofford returned 16(I think) starters last year and it helped our offense because of how complex it was. defensively it didn't help the pass game (against richmond we'd stop the run on 1st and 2nd down and then they would pass for 15 yards on third down). having some new starters may not be a bad thing

soweagle
July 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I was thinking first when I typed it even though I was going to put second and indeed first sprouted from my fingertips. I apologize and i'm glad someone caught what I meant to say.xoopsx

I knew what you meant and I should apologize b/c I was just being a jerk.

Reign of Terrier
July 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM
call me a fanboy but I think wofford is going to be better than people think. They know how to beat appy on defense(controlling the first ten yards from scrimmage). They won't underestimate elon like they did last year (they didn't appear prepared at all and still only lost by 11). Even though I boldly think Wofford can beat appy and elon, for some reason I'm still afraid of the citadel and furman.xchinscratchx

ericsaid
July 24th, 2008, 04:54 PM
call me a fanboy but I think wofford is going to be better than people think. They know how to beat appy on defense(controlling the first ten yards from scrimmage). They won't underestimate elon like they did last year (they didn't appear prepared at all and still only lost by 11). Even though I boldly think Wofford can beat appy and elon, for some reason I'm still afraid of the citadel and furman.xchinscratchx

Also gameplan for the entire off season for that one gamexcoffeex .

furman94
July 24th, 2008, 05:01 PM

Afraid of us because you're our bitch at your own house?

Reign of Terrier
July 24th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Afraid of us because you're our bitch at your own house?

Historically speaking, the only time we'll beat you is the when we win the socon. I do think we'll win though. The citadel scares me because we've beaten them so many times in a row you don't know when we'll slip up.

furman94
July 24th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Ha! Just ask us! We know how that felt last year; with Wofford AND The Citadel!

The Cats
July 24th, 2008, 07:18 PM
The Cats, like Samford will have to prove themselves, that's only to be expected after NO conference wins in 2007.

CID1990
July 24th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Historically speaking, the only time we'll beat you is the when we win the socon. I do think we'll win though. The citadel scares me because we've beaten them so many times in a row you don't know when we'll slip up.

Slip up? You mean after 10 years we'll STOP slipping up.

BDKJMU
July 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I like how everyones downplaying what the coaches voted on. Elon returns 21 starters(of 22 for those who didn't know). Ranking them any lower than fsecond would be luducris. They deserve to be where they are at because of how they performed last year and the experience they have coming back.

Excuse me for butting in on the So-Con message string here, but I was reading about Elon since my girlfriend is a grad, and I'm interested in seeing how they do in their UR game, and I could see JMU playing them in the playoffs since they're only about a 3.5 hr drive apart. Looking at their media guide, it says, "Third year Phoenix football coach will look to 8 returning offensive starters and 10 defensive starters...." So that appears to be 18 starters back of 22, not the almost unheard of 21 that Ericsaid claims. I've seen him make exaggerated statements before...

That being said, I think Elon will be very good and one of 2-3 So-Con playoff teams.

ericsaid
July 24th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Excuse me for butting in on the So-Con message string here, but I was reading about Elon since my girlfriend is a grad, and I'm interested in seeing how they do in their UR game, and I could see JMU playing them in the playoffs since they're only about a 3.5 hr drive apart. Looking at their media guide, it says, "Third year Phoenix football coach will look to 8 returning offensive starters and 10 defensive starters...." So that appears to be 18 starters back of 22, not the almost unheard of 21 that Ericsaid claims. I've seen him make exaggerated statements before...

That being said, I think Elon will be very good and one of 2-3 So-Con playoff teams.

Thats not what I read from the conference media day. It said they returned 21 starters from the 2007 team.

That being said, I think they will be second in the SoCon.

App 42 JMU 17xthumbsupx

phoenixphanatic21
July 24th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Let a Phoenix fan come in and settle this argument. BDKJMU is correct. We have 18 of 22 starters coming back. I can think of 3 starters off the top of my head who graduated last year, so there is no possible way we have 21 starters returning. So I don't know where you read that ericsaid, but yea, they are wrong.

As for Elon, I think they will have another strong year like last year. I will admit that they are getting a LOT of hype for this year and I am a little worried about them not living up to it, but as long as the defense stays healthy (which it couldn't do last year, otherwise we would've won the SoCon made the playoffs instead of App), they will make a run for the title and make the playoffs.

BDKJMU
July 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Thats not what I read from the conference media day. It said they returned 21 starters from the 2007 team.

App 42 JMU 17xthumbsupx

Says 18 starters (8 offense and 10 defense) back right here top of 4th page pg 44 under 2008 Outlook:
http://org.elon.edu/athletics/MediaGuides/fb08/fbphoenixteam.pdf

And ASU 42, JMU 17? Another one of your brilliant predictions Eric?
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37943&page=5

Reign of Terrier
July 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM
This season will be a little more competitive than last year. App state's reloaded as always, elon is gaining experience to aid its massive amount of talent. wofford returns many players with game time experience and talent( I heard a rumor that Mike Ayers said this could be his best team ever). It should be nice watching the top three (preseason) slug it out.
As for GSU, FU, and the citadel I can't say much because i don't know much. GSU should have a good defense but the offense is a coin flip because the o-line and the QB are new. Furman returns a promising offense, but again i don't know much about their defense (no one's talking about it!!). No one's talking much about the citadel so I know practically nothing about them. GSU, Fu, and citadel fans please enlighten

Reign of Terrier
July 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM
The Cats, like Samford will have to prove themselves, that's only to be expected after NO conference wins in 2007.

I think western's going to be better than people expect. maybe not a winning season but they'll get an upset.xsmiley_wix

Reed Rothchild
July 24th, 2008, 09:20 PM
My how the SoCon has fallen when GSU and Furman are picked so low

phoenixphanatic21
July 24th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Don't you mean my how much better the SoCon has gotten when GSU and Furman are picked so low?

seantaylor
July 24th, 2008, 10:12 PM
My how the SoCon has fallen when GSU and Furman are picked so low

3rd is low?

phoenixphanatic21
July 24th, 2008, 10:42 PM
3rd is low?

xchinscratchx Apparently

BDKJMU
July 25th, 2008, 12:24 AM

App 42 JMU 17xthumbsupx

Another one of your brilliant predictions Eric?
"villanova also wont do anything this season, or next or the next UR is returning a lot of players and from what i saw ayt the App semi final game will be a force to be reckoned with for the next couple of years, as for james madison, im sorry i cant say the same thing"

RazorEdge19
July 25th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Slip up? You mean after 10 years we'll STOP slipping up.

Slipping up? You didn't score offensively against Wofford this past season. I understand you missed two field goals, but beyond that, Citadel didn't sniff the end zone.

Nothing personal.

T-Dog
July 25th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I've been very impressed with Elon, especially considering how far they've come. I mean, my gosh, back in '02 and '03 and '04 and '05, they were HORRID.

That's more accurate. xnodx

I like to point out a scary thing about ASU's conference schedule.

2. Elon (1) 47 - HOME
3. Wofford 45 - HOME
4. Georgia Southern 44 - AWAY
5. Furman 41 - HOME
6. The Citadel 37 - HOME
7. Chattanooga 19 - AWAY
8. Western Carolina 17 - AWAY
9. Samford 10 - AWAY

3 out of App's 4 conference away games are against the consensus bottom three in the conference. And with App's stellar home record and reputation, this gives App a huge advantage. And it makes for an exciting home schedule xthumbsupx. If it the home-away schedule was flipped, I wouldn't be a sure we'd win the conference.

(for the record, this is about where I have the conference at. 3-6 is a crap shoot IMO)

blueballs
July 25th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I'm really not sure how one can say that the SoCon is slipping when the conference has been represented in the title game 7 out of the last 10 years, with 5 titles won. No other conference can make that claim.

The only teams in the SoCon that have arguable slipped are GSU and Furman, who have gone from NC contenders year in and year out to merely being ranked and playoff contenders. Other schools such as Wofford, Elon, and the Citadel have stepped up their programs in the past several years. What App has accomplished speaks for itself.

Jerbearasu
July 25th, 2008, 07:18 AM

The 21 starters usually include kickers and return specialists when you are talking about a wide-prospection view of the team. I don't know if they are returning those positions but that may be where the discrepancy is.

PaladinFan
July 25th, 2008, 07:31 AM
This season will be a little more competitive than last year. App state's reloaded as always, elon is gaining experience to aid its massive amount of talent. wofford returns many players with game time experience and talent( I heard a rumor that Mike Ayers said this could be his best team ever). It should be nice watching the top three (preseason) slug it out.
As for GSU, FU, and the citadel I can't say much because i don't know much. GSU should have a good defense but the offense is a coin flip because the o-line and the QB are new. Furman returns a promising offense, but again i don't know much about their defense (no one's talking about it!!). No one's talking much about the citadel so I know practically nothing about them. GSU, Fu, and citadel fans please enlighten

No one at Furman really seems to know what to expect. Offense pledges to spread teams out more while still holding strong to the running game. Lot of tall recievers and good running backs.

Defense is another story. See Georgia Southern tape. Get more speed on the field and cut down on our suceptibility to the pass. Always been able to limit the run, but this conference doesn't run that much anymore. Whole idea is more athletes on the field. Can't defend the pass any worse than we did last year. xlolx

BeauFoster
July 25th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I'm really not sure how one can say that the SoCon is slipping when the conference has been represented in the title game 7 out of the last 10 years, with 5 titles won. No other conference can make that claim.

The only teams in the SoCon that have arguable slipped are GSU and Furman, who have gone from NC contenders year in and year out to merely being ranked and playoff contenders. Other schools such as Wofford, Elon, and the Citadel have stepped up their programs in the past several years. What App has accomplished speaks for itself.

One reason the SoCon has slipped over the past few months: the addition of Samford. xsmhx

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM
No one at Furman really seems to know what to expect. Offense pledges to spread teams out more while still holding strong to the running game. Lot of tall recievers and good running backs.

Defense is another story. See Georgia Southern tape. Get more speed on the field and cut down on our suceptibility to the pass. Always been able to limit the run, but this conference doesn't run that much anymore. Whole idea is more athletes on the field. Can't defend the pass any worse than we did last year. xlolx

Wofford has the same basic story on offense except our new QB is going to pass more and more efficiently. On defense we don't know what to expect, our LBs are the most experienced unit (all seniors, all with starting experience), I expect them to be one of the finest in the league. The rest of the D is a coin flip (our DL is talented but with little depth and our secondary is replacing all 4 starters... but watching us play pass heavy teams, that's not neccesarily a bad thing

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Hate to say it GSU but Wofford's had your number the past 6 years (accept last year:( )

furman94
July 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Wofford has the same basic story on offense except our new QB is going to pass more and more efficiently. On defense we don't know what to expect, our LBs are the most experienced unit (all seniors, all with starting experience), I expect them to be one of the finest in the league. The rest of the D is a coin flip (our DL is talented but with little depth and our secondary is replacing all 4 starters... but watching us play pass heavy teams, that's not neccesarily a bad thing

We have a new QB too, nbut ours played amazingly against Clemson, and won the JSU game for us his freshman year! He has a great arm that will be used with our talented tailbacks, WR, Wideouts, and RBs.

Our defense is going to be what the FCS world saw at Paulson Stadium in our "Upset" of GSU.

OL FU
July 25th, 2008, 09:25 AM
We have a new QB too, nbut ours played amazingly against Clemson, and won the JSU game for us his freshman year! He has a great arm that will be used with our talented tailbacks, WR, Wideouts, and RBs.

Our defense is going to be what the FCS world saw at Paulson Stadium in our "Upset" of GSU.

I understand our defensive formation will have that look, however I thought our defensive strategy was simply stop Foster which we did. The issue on defense will still be how we perform against balance and passing attacks. xtwocentsx

furman94
July 25th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Yeah, the key on defense this year is STOP THE PASS!

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 09:33 AM

our QB was pretty decent last year but when we put him on the field the defense automatically assumed we were going to pass (which helped us against App, they didn't know if it was a play action or a triple option). He's a decent runner and should lead a more balanced attack. With Wofford's offense being a little different and Furman's defense being different, it won't be a 45-20 game this year, Though I think Wofford will pull it out.

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I understand our defensive formation will have that look, however I thought our defensive strategy was simply stop Foster which we did. The issue on defense will still be how we perform against balance and passing attacks. xtwocentsx

Do you think your run D is any better this year? if it isn't your in the hole against wofford (4 of 5 o-linemen are 300lbs+ and 3 of them are seniors, it's considered one of the best ever already in the preseason, and we always reload at RB). We may pass the ball more this year but the run is still our bread and butter.

OL FU
July 25th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Do you think your run D is any better this year? if it isn't your in the hole against wofford (4 of 5 o-linemen are 300lbs+ and 3 of them are seniors, it's considered one of the best ever already in the preseason, and we always reload at RB). We may pass the ball more this year but the run is still our bread and butter.

Actually our run D wasn't that bad last year but you guys were one of the exceptions. But that goes back to balance. you rushed for about 275 yards but the formation, as you are aware, was different that Wofford's option of the past. The QB was in much better position to pass and did 16 times and was successful most of those throws. Now 16 passes aren't that many but it was enough along with the look of the offense and the potential for passes many more times that caused us problems. Remember your passes gained almost 200 yards.

The key to the game with you guys wasn't our inability to stop you, we didn't stop many people. It was that you stopped us in the second half. Most people didn't which is why we had so many shoot out scores last year. So if you ask me, the key will not be whether our run D can stop you, it will be whether you will be able to stop us like you did last yearxnodx

Remember we held Clemson to 60 yards rushing, so we can do it.

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Actually our run D wasn't that bad last year but you guys were one of the exceptions. But that goes back to balance. you rushed for about 275 yards but the formation, as you are aware, was different that Wofford's option of the past. The QB was in much better position to pass and did 16 times and was successful most of those throws. Now 16 passes aren't that many but it was enough along with the look of the offense and the potential for passes many more times that caused us problems. Remember your passes gained almost 200 yards.

The key to the game with you guys wasn't our inability to stop you, we didn't stop many people. It was that you stopped us in the second half. Most people didn't which is why we had so many shoot out scores last year. So if you ask me, the key will not be whether our run D can stop you, it will be whether you will be able to stop us like you did last yearxnodx

good point I forgot it was close at half time last ( I only remember final scores). We'll be playing the same kind of offense this year, and we'll be passing more so we might rack up more passing yards (last year we overthrew way too many balls, this QB's a more natural passer). But if it comes down to us stopping you this year it'll depend on how the secondary plays. All of our starting LBs are seniors and should be among the conference's most elite groups, our DL is talented but doesn't have as much depth as LB. The secondary is a coin flip, it's talented but doesn't have alot of experience. Playing PC in week one (a pass happy team) could show us how good/bad we're going to be

OL FU
July 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM
good point I forgot it was close at half time last ( I only remember final scores). We'll be playing the same kind of offense this year, and we'll be passing more so we might rack up more passing yards (last year we overthrew way too many balls, this QB's a more natural passer). But if it comes down to us stopping you this year it'll depend on how the secondary plays. All of our starting LBs are seniors and should be among the conference's most elite groups, our DL is talented but doesn't have as much depth as LB. The secondary is a coin flip, it's talented but doesn't have alot of experience. Playing PC in week one (a pass happy team) should show us how good/bad we're going to be

No offense to the FCS newcomer but don't judge success based on how you play against PC. Might give you an idea, but it won't be the same as facing at least 6 other teams in the SoCon.xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 10:23 AM

well my quote messed up so I'll get to the point fast
1) thanks i forgot about that last year
2)wofford offense-same formations, more passing, more accuracy( maybe more yards this year?)
3)Wofford defense-linebackers-one of the conference's best; DL-as much talent as LB but not as much depth; secondary-older players, a tid bit of experience, the key to the FU-Woco game

sorry for being blunt but my computer froze my complete sentence verzion

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM
well my quote messed up so I'll get to the point fast
1) thanks i forgot about that last year
2)wofford offense-same formations, more passing, more accuracy( maybe more yards this year?)
3)Wofford defense-linebackers-one of the conference's best; DL-as much talent as LB but not as much depth; secondary-older players, a tid bit of experience, the key to the FU-Woco game

sorry for being blunt but my computer froze my complete sentence verzion

sorry about that I had no indication that the 1 before came through

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 10:27 AM
No offense to the FCS newcomer but don't judge success based on how you play against PC. Might give you an idea, but it won't be the same as facing at least 6 other teams in the SoCon.xthumbsupx

yeah I know but if we shut them out it'll be good practice and tell us that we won't be REALLY bad at stopping the pass

LarryBoy
July 25th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Last year's FU-Wofford game was like an episode of the Twilight Zone. We just came out of a game in which we thoroughly shut down Clemson's vaunted two-headed rushing attack. Then you guys come to our house and we seemingly opened the door for you. Just thinking about that game...getting smacked around by the puppies at Paladin Stadium...give me the creeps. No question about who was the better team last year.

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Last year's FU-Wofford game was like an episode of the Twilight Zone. We just came out of a game in which we thoroughly shut down Clemson's vaunted two-headed rushing attack. Then you guys come to our house and we seemingly opened the door for you. Just thinking about that game...getting smacked around by the puppies at Paladin Stadium...give me the creeps. No question about who was the better team last year.

I think it was because our offense was (no joke) the best Woco's ever had. Not to mention it's different from anything you ever see (it's not the wing-t/wingbone and it's not the spread it's the SPREADBONE ***Maybe not the real name, but the only way I can describe it***

dungeonjoe
July 25th, 2008, 11:01 AM
you gotta love young, energetic, knowledgeable newbies...:)

OL FU
July 25th, 2008, 11:05 AM

OOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so this is youngterrier that I will get to meet on 08/16xthumbsupx

Welcome to the wonderland known as AGSxthumbsupx

young terrier, aka, ankle biter pup:p xlolx

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 11:07 AM

I'm not gonna respond to thatxcoffeex

blueballs
July 25th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Hate to say it GSU but Wofford's had your number the past 6 years (accept last year:( )

Don't forget the 2004 beatdown at Paulson...

... but otherwise there's not much to argue about your statement. That is why, even though we kid about the 70's porn stache, the kung fu stuff, and the ankle biter mascot with the buggy eyes, there is almost universal respect for Coach Ayers and the Wofford program among GSU folks.

Personally, I think you accomplish more with less than any other program in the country.

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Don't forget the 2004 beatdown at Paulson...

... but otherwise there's not much to argue about your statement. That is why, even though we kid about the 70's porn stache, the kung fu stuff, and the ankle biter mascot with the buggy eyes, there is almost universal respect for Coach Ayers and the Wofford program among GSU folks.

Personally, I think you accomplish more with less than any other program in the country.

Yeah I thought about the '04 beatdown right after I posted and it's safe to say that was your best team of the last 6 years. I don't remember much about that year w/Wofford (I think injuries hurt us). We won 8 games but we got whipped by the teams formerly known as the big 3.

Erks Eagles
July 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Wofford has had our number for the most part the last 5 or so years. GS has a lot of respect for Wofford.

I don't see how GS can be ranked any higher than #4 based on how young we will be. BUT that is why you play the game on the field.

Can kickoff get here already?
Go Eagles!

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Wofford has had our number for the most part the last 5 or so years. GS has a lot of respect for Wofford.

I don't see how GS can be ranked any higher than #4 based on how young we will be. BUT that is why you play the game on the field.

Can kickoff get here already?
Go Eagles!

GSU probably has the most to prove this year

gophoenix
July 25th, 2008, 12:45 PM
One reason the SoCon has slipped over the past few months: the addition of Samford. xsmhx

See, that's just silly. Samford is better than ETSU was in their last 5 or so seasons. So, really, Samford is a step up. The same could have been said for Elon compared to VMI, even as bad as we were.

BDKJMU
July 25th, 2008, 01:22 PM
The 21 starters usually include kickers and return specialists when you are talking about a wide-prospection view of the team. I don't know if they are returning those positions but that may be where the discrepancy is.

Yeah, but Eric wrote "21 out of 22".

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Yeah, but Eric wrote "21 out of 22".

Who cares, the bottom line is elon returns enough starters to be threatening.

SoCon48
July 25th, 2008, 01:46 PM
See, that's just silly. Samford is better than ETSU was in their last 5 or so seasons. So, really, Samford is a step up. The same could have been said for Elon compared to VMI, even as bad as we were.

It would be a stretch to say Sanford was as good as ETSU their last few years if you exclude the defection years after announcing the closing of the program.

gophoenix
July 25th, 2008, 02:00 PM
It would be a stretch to say Sanford was as good as ETSU their last few years if you exclude the defection years after announcing the closing of the program.

I was trying to find some historical ranking data to back it up and having trouble finding it. Samford is not near as bad as we were coming in, or VMI was when they left. Maybe I'll leave it at that.

BeauFoster
July 25th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I was trying to find some historical ranking data to back it up and having trouble finding it. Samford is not near as bad as we were coming in, or VMI was when they left. Maybe I'll leave it at that.

Samford only won two games last season in a weak conference. They will not be competitive for some time. The will battle for the bottom with west carolina for the next 3 years. They bring nothing to the conference, in terms of football.

SoCon48
July 25th, 2008, 02:28 PM

ETSU is 3-0 vs Samford. '89, '90, '91.

ericsaid
July 25th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Who cares, the bottom line is elon returns enough starters to be threatening.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

ericsaid
July 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Says 18 starters (8 offense and 10 defense) back right here top of 4th page pg 44 under 2008 Outlook:
http://org.elon.edu/athletics/MediaGuides/fb08/fbphoenixteam.pdf

And ASU 42, JMU 17? Another one of your brilliant predictions Eric?

Sarcasm(dick)xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

RazorEdge19
July 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I think it was because our offense was (no joke) the best Woco's ever had. Not to mention it's different from anything you ever see (it's not the wing-t/wingbone and it's not the spread it's the SPREADBONE ***Maybe not the real name, but the only way I can describe it***

I believe the proper term is "Flexbone" Offense. Similar to Florida's offense.

The 'young' one is racking up some posts early. I like the enthusiasm.

SU DOG
July 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM
CORRECTION on the Samford ETSU results. Samford won ALL 3 of those games. SoCon48 please recheck your source.

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I believe the proper term is "Flexbone" Offense. Similar to Florida's offense.

The 'young' one is racking up some posts early. I like the enthusiasm.

That was the word I was looking for. It's a little more complex than that though (The '08 playbook was different from the '03 playbook). Air Force has run a similar type of offense since their woco guy left (what was his name?). This year we might look more like Florida because we might pass more.
As for my enthusiasm...yeah I'm very enthusiastic about Wofford xthumbsupx and I didn't have an account on AGS and saw this thread so I've been thinking about this subject w/out a way to "vent" it. That and I have ALOT of time on my hands w/100 degree outside temperatures (I can't exercisexmadx )

citdog
July 25th, 2008, 05:58 PM
That was the word I was looking for. It's a little more complex than that though (The '08 playbook was different from the '03 playbook). Air Force has run a similar type of offense since their woco guy left (what was his name?). This year we might look more like Florida because we might pass more.
As for my enthusiasm...yeah I'm very enthusiastic about Wofford xthumbsupx and I didn't have an account on AGS and saw this thread so I've been thinking about this subject w/out a way to "vent" it. That and I have ALOT of time on my hands w/100 degree outside temperatures (I can't exercisexmadx )

please throw the ball......you'll get absolutely beaten to death if you do.

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 06:08 PM
please throw the ball......you'll get absolutely beaten to death if you do.

well when your QB can run and pass pretty good in this offense you won't know if it's a triple option or a play action:p

citdog
July 25th, 2008, 06:09 PM
well when your QB can run and pass pretty good in this offense you won't know if it's a triple option or a play action:p

wideman can't hit the broadside of a barn....

RazorEdge19
July 25th, 2008, 06:16 PM
wideman can't hit the broadside of a barn....

Widmeir didn't score against Citadel, true.

But I'm still waiting for the Citadel Offense from 2007 to show up against us too...

Reign of Terrier
July 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Widmeir didn't score against Citadel, true.

But I'm still waiting for the Citadel Offense from 2007 to show up against us too...

Widmyer (oh yeah you both got outspelled by Young Terrier:p ) can pass the ball decently, But last year the defense knew he was going to pass when he got on the field so they were ready, that negated his ability to pass but opened up his ability to run ( he led a drive for TD against app last year capped off w/a 7 yard TD run by himself)

terrierbob
July 25th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Widmyer (oh yeah you both got outspelled by Young Terrier:p ) can pass the ball decently, But last year the defense knew he was going to pass when he got on the field so they were ready, that negated his ability to pass but opened up his ability to run ( he led a drive for TD against app last year capped off w/a 7 yard TD run by himself)

Took a bit of a break from AGS ( workload seemingly exploded). It's great fun to read the chatter knowing that the 8/16 event is soon. Really looking forward to it.

Rankings: I'm afraid of the secondary, hope the ex Navy QB Robbie Davis gets a lot of playing time, and can't wait to see the OL plowing. LBs should be fun to watch.

IMO, Elon's not over-ranked, GSU seems to be in a rebuilding year, still scared of the big bad purple, worried that CIT will nail us, hope we don't overlook PC, AppState's where they should be, don't know a lot about the last 3.

CAN'T WAIT.

FUPaladin2010
July 26th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Here is the media's prediction.

2008 SoCon Football Preseason MEDIA Poll

1. Appalachian State (29) 268

2. Elon 215

3. Georgia Southern (1) 191

4. Wofford 185

5. Furman 158

6. The Citadel 148

7. Chattanooga 83

8. Western Carolina 53

9. Samford 49

I'm sorry, but the one media person who gave Ga. Southern a FIRST PLACE VOTE is either

a) GSU coach Chris Hatcher's mom

or

b) smoking some seriously potent stuff

Eaglesrus
July 26th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I'm sorry, but the one media person who gave Ga. Southern a FIRST PLACE VOTE is either

or

You don't have to be sorry, unless you have to eat those words in November, that is.

T-Dog
July 26th, 2008, 07:49 AM

or

It might have been an App St media person who couldn't pick their own team. Don't know the rules or the media members but it's a possibility. I know that's why Elon got a first-place vote in the coaches poll.

furman94
July 26th, 2008, 09:28 AM

or

Welcome to AGS FUPaladin!

Eagle22
July 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM
It might have been an App St media person who couldn't pick their own team. Don't know the rules or the media members but it's a possibility. I know that's why Elon got a first-place vote in the coaches poll.

There isn't such a restriction on the media vote.

And to add... it wasn't my vote :)

Reign of Terrier
July 26th, 2008, 12:22 PM
You don't have to be sorry, unless you have to eat those words in November, that is.

hate to break it to you but with a new o-line and new QB you can't pick them to win it in the PRESEASON (maybe in week 3 or 4 when you've seen them play a little bit.)

Reign of Terrier
July 26th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Took a bit of a break from AGS ( workload seemingly exploded). It's great fun to read the chatter knowing that the 8/16 event is soon. Really looking forward to it.

Rankings: I'm afraid of the secondary, hope the ex Navy QB Robbie Davis gets a lot of playing time, and can't wait to see the OL plowing. LBs should be fun to watch.

IMO, Elon's not over-ranked, GSU seems to be in a rebuilding year, still scared of the big bad purple, worried that CIT will nail us, hope we don't overlook PC, AppState's where they should be, don't know a lot about the last 3.

CAN'T WAIT.

The secondary can't get much worse than last year, statistically we were great but no one seemed to notice that we didn't do very well with Dan Tavani injured (even when he played). Robbie Davis ran our offense in HS and if widmyer is injured expect him to replace him and the run game will skyrocket.

beauvighn
July 26th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Young Terrier...check mailbox

phoenix3
July 27th, 2008, 06:50 AM

Elon lost a total of 9 players to graduation. 7, eligibility wise, were finished and an additional 2 graduated academically and chose not to return. Of these 9, three were starters. Two were actual 1st string players. The other was technically a starter but split equal (or less) playing time with two others. So, on the offensive and defensive squads (not including special teams) Elon returns 19 starters.

The starting kicker & punter will return.

Eaglesrus
July 27th, 2008, 07:41 AM
hate to break it to you but with a new o-line and new QB you can't pick them to win it in the PRESEASON (maybe in week 3 or 4 when you've seen them play a little bit.)

I believe the voters could pick whoever they wanted too. Nobody might agree with whoever it is, but he sure will look brilliant at the end of the season if he is right.

blueballs
July 27th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Elon lost a total of 9 players to graduation. 7, eligibility wise, were finished and an additional 2 graduated academically and chose not to return. Of these 9, three were starters. Two were actual 1st string players. The other was technically a starter but split equal (or less) playing time with two others. So, on the offensive and defensive squads (not including special teams) Elon returns 19 starters.

The starting kicker & punter will return.

Elon should be a contender for the conference title and if everything goes right a national contender too. The future is obviously very bright for the Phoenix and if I was an Elon fan I'd be very excited about the upcoming season.

Elon travels to Statesboro the fourth week of the season and this game will no doubt tell us a lot about both teams.

GSU will be very talented but very, very young. I have no doubt that by the end of the season GSU (for some reason it feels like 2002 to me with the Eagles) will be a very dangerous team but I have no idea how soon that will happen and how many losses they'll have when it does.

The only reason I could see a media member picking GSU (not justifying it, just trying to figure the reasoning) is that Elon, Wofford, and App all come to Paulson this year, and the writer feels like 3 games will be sufficient experience for the young GSU squad to gell and the writer is obviously sold on the coaching staff.

GSU hosts Elon and Wofford in consecutive weeks in late September. I imagine we'll know a lot more about both GSU and how the conference will shake up come October 1.

Reign of Terrier
July 27th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I believe the voters could pick whoever they wanted too. Nobody might agree with whoever it is, but he sure will look brilliant at the end of the season if he is right.

Even if whoever it is is right the offense doesn't have alot of returning starters so you don't have much of an idea of how well they'll be. You might as well give them the benefit of the doubt and rank them lower (of 2-6 place).

Eaglesrus
July 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM
.................................................. .......
GSU will be very talented but very, very young. I have no doubt that by the end of the season GSU (for some reason it feels like 2002 to me with the Eagles) will be a very dangerous team but I have no idea how soon that will happen and how many losses they'll have when it does.

The only reason I could see a media member picking GSU (not justifying it, just trying to figure the reasoning) is that Elon, Wofford, and App all come to Paulson this year, and the writer feels like 3 games will be sufficient experience for the young GSU squad to gell and the writer is obviously sold on the coaching staff.

.................................................. .............................

Even if whoever it is is right the offense doesn't have alot of returning starters so you don't have much of an idea of how well they'll be. You might as well give them the benefit of the doubt and rank them lower (of 2-6 place).

I believe BB's statement would be more along the lines of how our guys would be given the benefit of the doubt.

PaladinFan
July 28th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Every team, I think, has question marks. Can App replace their entire defensive backfield? Can Furman make the necessary adjustments to keep up with the evolving offenses? Will a rebuilt O-line and no Foster give GSU a chance to be a contender? Was last year one of Wofford's five year cycle of really good teams? Is Elon for real? Will Samford lose every game by 40?

Gonna be a great season.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 28th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Every team, I think, has question marks. Can App replace their entire defensive backfield? Can Furman make the necessary adjustments to keep up with the evolving offenses? Will a rebuilt O-line and no Foster give GSU a chance to be a contender? Was last year one of Wofford's five year cycle of really good teams? Is Elon for real? Will Samford lose every game by 40?

Gonna be a great season.

Don't forget about "How much will Wagner imrpove the cats?" At the very least Wagner is a strict disciplinarian and that should make them a few notches tougher. Wagner may be the one to bring them into the national rankings. He coached the OL that IMO did not get enough credit for Fresno State's up period in the early 00's.

So, pretty much every SoCon team is a wildcard except for App and Chatty, who are only somewhat of a wild-card.

Laserlips
July 28th, 2008, 11:03 AM
JMOfartO:

Anyone coming on here telling you how good our GSU Eagle football team is going to be this year is just yanking your chain..

The only confidence that I feel in that our Eagles will have a good season in 2008 is based on the coaching skills of Coach Chris Hatcher to bring out the very best in the talent he has, and the fact that just from what I hear we have some pretty good athletes.

I "think" we'll be pretty good from the middle of the season on, but I'm concerned about the first few games until our new offense, and offensive line can jell.

Just like I predicted last year, we may not have a fantastic season, but we're more than likely going to be spoilers for another team or two...:D

Just personal opinion based on zero knowledge/no offense intended.

Jesse