PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Hires SHSU Asst for OC Position

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Lots and lots of Lamar news going on. They're keeping in the media, despite not having a football team and just coaches for the time being...

Kats in need of a coach — Sam Houston State is currently searching for a replacement to fill the vacancy left when wide receivers coach Tommy Mainord recently accepted the offensive coordinator position at Lamar.

Mainord has been on the SHSU staff for the past four seasons, serving as the Bearkats’ running back coach before switching to receivers in 2007. Before coming to Huntsville, Mainord also worked as an assistant under Whitten at Tarleton State for six years.

“We are excited for Tommy. He has been with me for about nine years, and he deserves this opportunity,” Whitten said. “I think Lamar is getting a great coach, and it was just one of those opportunities he couldn’t pass up.

“The only problem for me is the timing, so I have to get a coach hired in the next few days. I’m working on it, and hopefully we will have somebody in the next week.”

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_205001129.html?keyword=secondarystory

McTailGator
July 23rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
Ouch

This hurts SHSU.

Not often a coach jumps between SLC teams unless it means a promotion.

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Not sure how this hurts SHSU...our OC has been the OC since before Whitten came on board and I good few years into the Randleman Era. He's not leaving.

This was an assistant who came with Whitten from Tarleton State. A positions coach who is getting the bump to OC at Lamar. I do not see this as a major blow...

McNeese75
July 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Based on the wide receiver situation last year (who knows about this year) this might be a good thing for the Kats :D xpeacex

houtexan
July 23rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
We're glad to have him!

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Lamar is looking to get a big time name as part of their staff...

Word on the grapevine is that new Lamar football coach Ray Woodard may be adding former University of Texas quarterback Donnie Little to his staff in some capacity. Little, for those too young to be familiar with him, was the first black quarterback to sign with the Longhorns.

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_222200623.html

centexguy
August 10th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I think they played together for a few years at the University of Texas. He is currently the Development Manager/External Relations Coordinator for the Longhorn Foundation, so if Donnie Little does come to Lamar he might perform some type of similar role.

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Article in today's paper...

Coaches' common sense approach good for Lamar recruiting
By PERRYN KEYS
September, 7, 2008

Leave it to Ray Woodard, a good ol' boy from Corrigan-Camden, to dig up a good ol' common-sense solution.

Last week, Woodard had finalized his staff by hiring offensive coordinator Tommy Mainord, defensive coordinator Roger Hinshaw and offensive assistant James Brown.

The problem was Woodard had no place to put them.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/coaches__common_sense_approach_good_for_lamar_recr uiting_09-07-2008.html

katstrapper
September 8th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Ouch

This hurts SHSU.

Not often a coach jumps between SLC teams unless it means a promotion.

Given the way our receivers performed last year, Mainord leaving is a blessing. We have a VERY good receivers coach now in former Bearkat All-American Johnathon Cooper. Coop will have these kids catching everything.xnodx xcoffeex