PDA

View Full Version : McNeese State to help Lamar resume its football program!

McTailGator
July 22nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
xhurrayx

A little advanced news here------------------------------------------

McNeese State will help Lamar University resume its football program in 2010 by hosting the Cardinals in the first game of that season. The two teams have agreed to play a contest in Cowboy Stadium on Sept. 4,
2010. This will be a non-conference game. The following year Lamar will begin play in the Southland Conference.

"What a great opportunity this is,"said McNeese athletic director
Tommy McClelland. "Two great, long time rivals opening the season in The
Hole. I appreciate the Lamar staff for helping make this game possible."
The two teams have not met on the gridiron since the 1989 season when Lamar dropped the sport.

McNeese holds a 19-8-1 edge in the series. xrotatehx

Cowboy head coach Matt Viator said of the renewal of the series, "It's exciting to be able to resume an old series and rivalry with a team only 60 miles away." xbeerchugx

Also in 2010, the Cowboys will host Southern University, making McNeese's home schedule that year one of the most outstanding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like 2 sell outs EARLY in 2010. I really did not expect to see this game untill 2011. I am happy McNeese and Lamar thought it was important to renew the rivalry.

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
Links...

McNeese Release: http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072208aac.html
Lamar Release: http://lamarcardinals.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072208aaa.html

This is great news! Man, the SLC has been full of so much great news today. This game makes sense for both schools and is just the icing on the cake for LU's return to football...

McNeese's known slate in 2010...

9-4...LAMAR
9-11...at Missouri
9-18...SOUTHERN
10-16...at Southeastern Louisiana

McTailGator
July 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Links...

McNeese Release: http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072208aac.html
Lamar Release: http://lamarcardinals.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072208aaa.html

This is great news! Man, the SLC has been full of so much great news today. This game makes sense for both schools and is just the icing on the cake for LU's return to football...

Well to be honest, I think Lamar should have tried to schedule a South Alabama or a Georgia State U in that first game or two, IMO.

BUT, I'm glad they signed the deal. It will be nice having two sell outs in 2010 with Southern coming to Lake Charles in 10 as well.

I didn't realize that Woodard grew up in Lake Charles.

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
I heard South Alabama's schedule is going to be 'weaker' than that of Old Dominion.

Lamar is going to be pinched though. They can only get SLC schools on the slate the first four weeks because of the four games each week in SLC play. That is, unless LU, whatever school(s) and the SLC agree to move a game.

McTailGator
July 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
I heard South Alabama's schedule is going to be 'weaker' than that of Old Dominion.

Lamar is going to be pinched though. They can only get SLC schools on the slate the first four weeks because of the four games each week in SLC play. That is, unless LU, whatever school(s) and the SLC agree to move a game.

SLU and Nichols should try to get USA on their schedules ASAP.

Both close to Mobile and both have a lot of players in the South Alabama region as well as the Miss Gulf Coast.

UCABEARS75
July 22nd, 2008, 03:42 PM

I sincerely hope we are trying to schedule them for 2010, either down there or in Conway.

As difficult as it is to schedule games within reasonable distances and the fact that they are so close to one of the richest recruiting areas in our conference makes it a wise move to go ahead and play them early.

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM

Both close to Mobile and both have a lot of players in the South Alabama region as well as the Miss Gulf Coast.

There's no reason SLU and Nicholls don't get a deal with South Alabama worked out. USA may even be willing to head there because it's a short commute to either one. I hope USA is on a few SLC schedules their first few years...

centexguy
July 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
I read that South Alabama has already signed a 4-year home-and-home deal with Navy. I get the feeling a lot of schools are trying to schedule South Alabama but I'm hoping Lamar is able to schedule them since they are looking for a 'weaker' schedule.

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
I read that South Alabama has already signed a 4-year home-and-home deal with Navy. I get the feeling a lot of schools are trying to schedule South Alabama but I'm hoping Lamar is able to schedule them since they are looking for a 'weaker' schedule.

Navy has loaded up on some transitional schools and kept consistent with their private school contests. They got a two-year deal with Western Kentucky and then they've signed deals with SMU, TCU, Baylor, Rice, Tulane and that like.

Lionsrking
July 22nd, 2008, 05:27 PM

Considering our AD has ties to South Alabama, I'm pretty sure we'll get something done with them. I know he's been working on it.

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
Considering our AD has ties to South Alabama, I'm pretty sure we'll get something done with them. I know he's been working on it.

I've heard the same thing. SLU should try to get either USA or Lamar at home with the other on the road in 2010.

2009 SLU schedule...9-5...TEXAS A&M - COMMERCE, 9-12...at Ole Miss, 9-19...ALCORN STATE and 9-26...at South Dakota.

2010 SLU schedule...9-4...at Southern Mississippi.

slostang
July 22nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Links...

McNeese's known slate in 2010...

9-4...LAMAR
9-11...at Missouri
9-18...SOUTHERN
10-16...at Southeastern Louisiana
I do not know the date, but McNeese State is scheduled to visit Cal Poly in 2010.

GeauxLions94
July 23rd, 2008, 12:53 AM
I've heard the same thing. SLU should try to get either USA or Lamar at home with the other on the road in 2010.

2009 SLU schedule...9-5...TEXAS A&M - COMMERCE, 9-12...at Ole Miss, 9-19...ALCORN STATE and 9-26...at South Dakota.

2010 SLU schedule...9-4...at Southern Mississippi.

Looks like SLU will get Lamar at Strawberry in 2010 ... date talked about right now is Sept. 18. ... don't know about South Alabama, but that would be good game for our fans if its in Mobile.

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2008, 07:43 AM
Looks like SLU will get Lamar at Strawberry in 2010 ... date talked about right now is Sept. 18. ... don't know about South Alabama, but that would be good game for our fans if its in Mobile.

That'd be the second SLC foe for the Cards. Wonder if they will get the max. of four in 2010 (due to the scheduling issues). Figure they'd want a home date for Sept. 11 and probably Sept. 25 as well. Which SLC team(s) would be interested in heading to Lamar?

SHSU has a four-SLC home game year in 2010 plus Gardner-Webb at home and a trip to Western Illinois. We may have a trip to PVA&M that year (if not 2009). Depending when that trip is, SHSU may be willing to head to Lamar.

McTailGator
July 23rd, 2008, 09:31 AM
I do not know the date, but McNeese State is scheduled to visit Cal Poly in 2010.

I understand it to be the last Saturday in September and the week after we host Southern.

houtexan
July 23rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Definitely a sell-out for this one...and then some. Could be one of the largest attendance at McNeese. I need my tickets dang it.

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2008, 05:46 PM
I understand that Lamar may be nearing a third SLC opponent for the first four weeks of the schedule with the game being at home...may possibly be the first home game in the return of Lamar football (?) though perhaps it'll be the second...

McNeese72
July 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Definitely a sell-out for this one...and then some. Could be one of the largest attendance at McNeese. I need my tickets dang it.

If you mean that season, maybe. If you mean historically, no!

Doc

centexguy
July 23rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
I wonder if Lamar plans to play any DII teams their first year. You'd think they'll play at least a couple of them in their first year. It looks like they plan on diving head first into FCS and SLC football, but since they are probably not expected win many games anyway then why not. I hope they can schedule South Alabama and Georgia State too, at least they'll have a good chance to win those games.

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2008, 09:47 PM
South Alabama has Hargrave Military Academy and Kentucky Weslayan. Talk about some fun competition...Lamar will have to schedule some sub-Div I schools. Will be tough to get FCS schools in the heart of conference season...

Lionsrking
July 23rd, 2008, 10:55 PM
I wonder if Lamar plans to play any DII teams their first year. You'd think they'll play at least a couple of them in their first year. It looks like they plan on diving head first into FCS and SLC football, but since they are probably not expected win many games anyway then why not. I hope they can schedule South Alabama and Georgia State too, at least they'll have a good chance to win those games.

I'm sure they will play some D-IIs and probably some NAIA's. We played Arkansas-Monticello and Henderson State, plus two NAIA's in Lambuth and Webber International. We played Troy from FBS plus three Southland schools, Texas State, McNeese and Northwestern State. Other I-AAs we played were Prairie View, Alcorn, Jacksonville and St. Mary's who dropped their program.

houtexan
July 24th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I don't think you'll see LU scheduling NAIA's at all. Possibly DII, but again I'd be surprised unless that's the only games they can schedule. I think a full SLC slate is in the works plus a S.Alabama, Georgia State. Just a hunch. I think the Southland will try to work with all the SLC schools to get a full slate in unless it's impossible.