PDA

View Full Version : Where is Coulson?

Jerbearasu
July 21st, 2008, 06:21 PM
He had a great article on QB's at the end of June but nothing since then. I was really hoping we would start to get a different position each week until the season start. Anyone know when his next article is coming out? He has to know we are going crazy in the summer for stuff to read!!!

AppAlum2003
July 21st, 2008, 06:46 PM
He had a great article on QB's at the end of June but nothing since then. I was really hoping we would start to get a different position each week until the season start. Anyone know when his next article is coming out? He has to know we are going crazy in the summer for stuff to read!!!

He's too busy scouring this website and assigning negative rep points to write articles.

Appinator
July 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM
He's too busy scouring this website and assigning negative rep points to write articles.

Come on now, that's not the way to treat someone who has embraced the community of Boone the way Mr. C has.

He did a great job on the QB article and I am anxiously awaiting what comes next, although I have to agree that I would rather have it sooner than later for my own boredom's sake.

CatFan22
July 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
:pumpuke:

mvemjsunpx
July 21st, 2008, 07:46 PM
I guess we shouldn't be surprised. He only ended up doing 2 conference previews last year.

Footix
July 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM
Come on now, that's not the way to treat someone who has embraced the community of Boone the way Mr. C has.

You're right, there has never been a bigger App homer!

The Cats
July 21st, 2008, 10:37 PM

Amen......

The Cats
July 21st, 2008, 10:38 PM

again... Amen !!!!!

seantaylor
July 21st, 2008, 10:48 PM
There is a convention for persons with Mullets in San Diego this weekend.

SuperJon
July 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM
You guys all probably just got negative rep points.

CopperCat
July 21st, 2008, 10:55 PM

He did a great job on the QB article and I am anxiously awaiting what comes next, although I have to agree that I would rather have it sooner than later for my own boredom's sake.

Exactly, he doesn't give a crap about anybody else. He'd rather sit there and trash MSU because of one f***ing game (as would a good portion of ASU fans in general).

Squealofthepig
July 21st, 2008, 11:35 PM
Honestly, it's not entirely the homerism that I think most of us object to. It would be unrealistic, really, for anyone to have a passion for championship football and not have some degree of preference.

Rather, as a voice for championship football, it's the short shrift he gives to all the other teams and conferences outside of ASU that vexes us. Check out his "around the FCS" articles last year and count how many are comprised of 50% plus Boone articles. There are a LOT of teams out there, and I'd love to read up more on all the conferences and great teams out there. Let us know what's going on at Missouri State. Talk at length about San Diego State. Talk about the rising powerhouse of NDSU, or SDSU's amazing surprises at the end of the season.

I won't argue for more Montana football discussion - I think there's plenty of that out there. But I'd just like to see a lot more balance and discussion of all the programs, and as a supposed "national" columnist, I find Coulson lacking - not because of his homerism, but because of his agnosticism of all the other teams that make up the great bulk of FCS football.

smallcollegefbfan
July 21st, 2008, 11:38 PM
Honestly, it's not entirely the homerism that I think most of us object to. It would be unrealistic, really, for anyone to have a passion for championship football and not have some degree of preference.

Rather, as a voice for championship football, it's the short shrift he gives to all the other teams and conferences outside of ASU that vexes us. Check out his "around the FCS" articles last year and count how many are comprised of 50% plus Boone articles. There are a LOT of teams out there, and I'd love to read up more on all the conferences and great teams out there. Let us know what's going on at Missouri State. Talk at length about San Diego State. Talk about the rising powerhouse of NDSU, or SDSU's amazing surprises at the end of the season.

I won't argue for more Montana football discussion - I think there's plenty of that out there. But I'd just like to see a lot more balance and discussion of all the programs, and as a supposed "national" columnist, I find Coulson lacking - not because of his homerism, but because of his agnosticism of all the other teams that make up the great bulk of FCS football.

Last I heard he was working on the RB article and would have done it sooner but he needed some interviews to be done.

Part of the reason I'm sure he mentioned Boone so often is that he has lived there so long. Gradually I'm sure you will see more references to other places. He is at the Big Sky media day this week and I'm sure will have some information from there.

smallcollegefbfan
July 21st, 2008, 11:42 PM

I just knew someone from CCU was going to join in. haha xthumbsupx

I heard a rumor his name was a banned word on the CCU board? Is that true? xsmiley_wix

You know I am messing. It has seemed like MSU, Montana, and CCU has had the biggest problem with him. I have no problems with him and embrace him. Like all writers he will continue to grow. Those who grow move forward, and he has certainly improved his job over the years. I wish him the best!

ASU
July 22nd, 2008, 12:21 AM
I just knew someone from CCU was going to join in. haha xthumbsupx

I heard a rumor his name was a banned word on the CCU board? Is that true? xsmiley_wix

You know I am messing. It has seemed like MSU, Montana, and CCU has had the biggest problem with him. I have no problems with him and embrace him. Like all writers he will continue to grow. Those who grow move forward, and he has certainly improved his job over the years. I wish him the best!

He probably doesn't write about Missouri State because nothing is happening there.....do something, then read about it......not the other way around.

SeattleGriz
July 22nd, 2008, 02:18 AM
He probably doesn't write about Missouri State because nothing is happening there.....do something, then read about it......not the other way around.

In this instance, MSU is Montana State. Coulson rags on Bozeman because of the playoff game in Boone a couple years ago. He thought MSU was a poor sport.

PaladinFan
July 22nd, 2008, 06:14 AM
Exactly, he doesn't give a crap about anybody else. He'd rather sit there and trash MSU because of one f***ing game (as would a good portion of ASU fans in general).

No flack from me. It's tough to go on the road and play good teams in the playoffs. Especially when its a loooong road trip.

Believe me, you didn't see Furman's best game either.

Tribe4SF
July 22nd, 2008, 06:58 AM
His QB article was excellent, and raises my hope that he has grown into the job. Rather than attending the Mullet Convention, I hope the gap between articles is the result of extended research for his next offering. He obviously did significant homework prior to the QB article, and this former critic will endure the wait if his products now live up to that standard. If they do he has a new fan in me.xthumbsupx

blueballs
July 22nd, 2008, 07:26 AM
I'm sure he'll weigh in from the SoCon rouser, which is coming up in the next several days.

bodoyle
July 22nd, 2008, 08:03 AM

Yes it is.

And who cares why he isn't here, just be glad that he isn't.

Sly Fox
July 22nd, 2008, 09:26 AM
Amen!

CopperCat
July 22nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
In this instance, MSU is Montana State. Coulson rags on Bozeman because of the playoff game in Boone a couple years ago. He thought MSU was a poor sport.

Here we go.

That was ONE F***ING GAME!!!! GET OVER IT!!! There are many ASU fans that base everything they know about MSU off of that one game, and I can say from personal experience that what you saw in Boone was not what MSU football is about. Not only was that ONE GAME, it was pretty much ONE PLAYER that caused all the trouble. Dear God, how dare we offend the might Appy State football team! What a dastardly thing to do!

If anybody is a poor sport, its Coulson for being such a crappy sports writer. He has one of the easiest jobs in the world, and he still can't find enough professionalism to at least attempt to cover FCS football objectively. When MSU was in the top 25 last season, he left them out of his top 25 matches of the week twice. MSU now has a tarnished reputation due to the gross exaggerations and hearsay happenings that Coulson and his fellow ASU homers decided to smear around on AGS. That bugs me alot, considering how that coaching staff is now gone, the player has been gone for a long time, and yet still have to talk about this. GROW UP, AND GET OVER IT.

Disclaimer: Not all ASU fans joined the Coulson bandwagon. In fact some have been in agreeance with some of the points above. So don't think I'm hatin' on ASU (quite the contrary). Just those people who can't seem to look beyond one single point in time to base their entire opinion of something off of.

FTG out.

CopperCat
July 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
You guys all probably just got negative rep points.

That would only prove the cowardice of the person in question.

Appaholic
July 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Here we go.

That was ONE F***ING GAME!!!! GET OVER IT!!! There are many ASU fans that base everything they know about MSU off of that one game, and I can say from personal experience that what you saw in Boone was not what MSU football is about. Not only was that ONE GAME, it was pretty much ONE PLAYER that caused all the trouble. Dear God, how dare we offend the might Appy State football team! What a dastardly thing to do!

If anybody is a poor sport, its Coulson for being such a crappy sports writer. He has one of the easiest jobs in the world, and he still can't find enough professionalism to at least attempt to cover FCS football objectively. When MSU was in the top 25 last season, he left them out of his top 25 matches of the week twice. MSU now has a tarnished reputation due to the gross exaggerations and hearsay happenings that Coulson and his fellow ASU homers decided to smear around on AGS. That bugs me alot, considering how that coaching staff is now gone, the player has been gone for a long time, and yet still have to talk about this. GROW UP, AND GET OVER IT.

Disclaimer: Not all ASU fans joined the Coulson bandwagon. In fact some have been in agreeance with some of the points above. So don't think I'm hatin' on ASU (quite the contrary). Just those people who can't seem to look beyond one single point in time to base their entire opinion of something off of.

FTG out.

As a professional sportswriter, Coulson should know better than to crucify an entire program for that one game. He should be familiar enough with programs nationally to assess that this behavior was not indicative of the character of the overall program or school for that matter. I'm not familiar with his writing (just a couple of articles), so i do not know how much he lambasted Montana State after the playoof game and cannot comment on that particular instance.

I wasn't a member of this sight when I attended the game in question. Therefore, I wasn't familiar with how good a prgram MSU really was and how classy the school, and their fans, were until later. I remember thanking the Montana St fans who attended the game and being embarrased by some App students sitting near us as for their behavior towards some of the Montana St fans in the visitor section we were sitting near. I'm sure the Montana St fans who witnessed these idiots probably don't hold an endearing recollection of App St fans and that is a shame.

In the same manner, the only exposure App St fans have probably ever had to Montana St was at that game. So, you'll have to forgive us for not being impressed with the player in question's behavior and like it or not, just like our small cadre of idiot fans I witnessed, your player is a representative of your school. I know better now, but to the casual fan or poster on this site, if their only exposure to Montana St was that game, they'll probably, unfairly but understandably, associate Montana St with seeing that player at our sideline talking ***** to our beloved coach.....first impressions die hard.

trusty
July 22nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
Who cares

bodoyle
July 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
That would only prove the cowardice of the person in question.

He gave me rep when I called myself an idiot...xeyebrowx

appfan2008
July 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Is Coulson great at what he does? NO

Is there much choice when it comes to full time (supposedly national) fcs writers/reporters? NO

He isnt great but he does a good enough job and his QB article proved that. Plus there isnt much opposition to light a fire under his butt!

smallcollegefbfan
July 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM

Yes I remember that. I read from other writers around North Carolina as well that MSU had been poor sports.

Anyone from the Big Sky agree with Coulson that MSU were poor sports somewhat?

smallcollegefbfan
July 22nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Here we go.

FTG out.

Agreed. From what I heard MSU is not normally like that. Good point on the staff and it mostly being one player. With all of them gone MSU has been great since then.

CrazyCat
July 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
Yes I remember that. I read from other writers around North Carolina as well that MSU had been poor sports.

I'll agree. The main culprit damaged the reputation of the team, school, and state. Couple his actions with the headlines and S.I. article and I can see were some would label the program as a bunch of "thugs." Coach Ash and MSU have worked very hard since to repair the damage and bring in outstanding student-athletes. Some people only remember the negatives and it is up to each individual to draw their own conclusions. But I would hope that people can see the positive changes from that team compared to this years and future teams. As far as Coulson, I read his stuff because he's a good source for information for the FCS, even if it has a slight bias.
And as the immortal James Dalton said "opinions vary." xsmiley_wix

CopperCat
July 22nd, 2008, 12:05 PM

It was one player that caused all the ruckus. So I DON'T agree with Coulson that MSU was a poor sport. I agree that ONE PLAYER was the poor sport. I will however admit that the coaching staff let that happen, and in the end they were held accountable for it.

As far as Kramer not talking to the media (which Coulson bitched about as well) screw that. A coach can talk when he wants to. It might not be looked on very well, but maybe the guy has more important things to address, such as gameday planning.

If you see MSU in the playoffs anytime soon during the Rob Ash era, I can guarantee that you will never see that type of behavior without that player getting benched for the rest of the game.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 22nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
I grew up in Helena midway between Bozeman and Missoula. As such I have about as many Cat fans as friends as I do Griz fans. Don't know a Cat fan that is not a quality individual. Cat fans went through a real tough stretch after winning the NC in 1984. Earle Solomon led the team down a corridor of losing seasons that would be hard as a fan to take. Their fans remained loyal through the tough times that lasted a very long time. I don't ever want to lose to the Cats but I gotta tell you it was a tough thing to see those guys lose for that stretch. I have a few friends that used to play for the Cats and it brought a little sadness to see what the team and the fan base had to endure. Their fans remained loyal through it and I think that says much more about the fans and the teams that they have produced than what one player did in Boone. It was an act totally lacking in any shred of class. None of the fans that I know have ever tried to defend it and that would also seem to speak to their integrity as well. They are a very quality program taking all of the correct steps to make sure they stay on the right path. A couple of small blips and a few people want to condemn instead of commend them for taking the appropriate steps. That's a tough one for me to wrap my mind around.

Appaholic
July 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
I grew up in Helena midway between Bozeman and Missoula. As such I have about as many Cat fans as friends as I do Griz fans. Don't know a Cat fan that is not a quality individual. Cat fans went through a real tough stretch after winning the NC in 1984. Earle Solomon led the team down a corridor of losing seasons that would be hard as a fan to take. Their fans remained loyal through the tough times that lasted a very long time. I don't ever want to lose to the Cats but I gotta tell you it was a tough thing to see those guys lose for that stretch. I have a few friends that used to play for the Cats and it brought a little sadness to see what the team and the fan base had to endure. Their fans remained loyal through it and I think that says much more about the fans and the teams that they have produced than what one player did in Boone. It was an act totally lacking in any shred of class. None of the fans that I know have ever tried to defend it and that would also seem to speak to their integrity as well. They are a very quality program taking all of the correct steps to make sure they stay on the right path. A couple of small blips and a few people want to condemn instead of commend them for taking the appropriate steps. That's a tough one for me to wrap my mind around.

I agree...from what I have heard, Ash is running a top-knotch, classy program. As an App fan, I will admit I harbored some resentment, unfairly, towards the whole program when it should have been directed towards one player and forgotten a long time ago....mea culpa. I would love to see our teams play again, preferably in Bozeman, as it seems Ursus doesn't mind picking up my flight tabs between NC and MT....xthumbsupx xpeacex

Appaholic
July 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
It was one player that caused all the ruckus. So I DON'T agree with Coulson that MSU was a poor sport. I agree that ONE PLAYER was the poor sport. I will however admit that the coaching staff let that happen, and in the end they were held accountable for it.
If you see MSU in the playoffs anytime soon during the Rob Ash era, I can guarantee that you will never see that type of behavior without that player getting benched for the rest of the game.

True and true......the university officials made the appropriate call....and that's all you can ask of them. xpeacex

ursus arctos horribilis
July 22nd, 2008, 01:16 PM
I agree...from what I have heard, Ash is running a top-knotch, classy program. As an App fan, I will admit I harbored some resentment, unfairly, towards the whole program when it should have been directed towards one player and forgotten a long time ago....mea culpa. I would love to see our teams play again, preferably in Bozeman, as it seems Ursus doesn't mind picking up my flight tabs between NC and MT....xthumbsupx xpeacex

Note to self...all bids between now and September must have a 15% income line item on them. Report plane tickets in the NIPIA expense account.

ericsaid
July 22nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
xrotatehx xrotatehx Caulsons article on the QBs wasnt that great. He didn't get the stats right of the Richmond game!!! It was 14/16 with 182 and 3 touchdowns with 31 rushes for 313 yards and 4 touchdowns.

CopperCat
July 22nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
xrotatehx xrotatehx Caulsons article on the QBs wasnt that great. He didn't get the stats right of the Richmond game!!! It was 14/16 with 182 and 3 touchdowns with 31 rushes for 313 yards and 4 touchdowns.

You can easily mess up stats, but when you intentionally leave stats out simply because you don't like the team, that's a different can of wax.

ericsaid
July 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
He said 2 rushing touchdowns so I don't know if that qualifies.

james_lawfirm
July 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Here we go.

FTG out.

FTG:

Man, I am trying to forget that flipping game, but you won't let me. And, I agree it was just one player all us hatin' ASU fans objected to.

As a peace offering, the next time ASU & MSU meet, I'll be there & let me extend my personal invitation to you to come tailgate with us - wherever the game is - Bozeman or Boone - or Chattanooga for that matter.

How's that?

GreatAppSt
July 22nd, 2008, 05:43 PM

I have never trashed MSU because of one f***ing game!xnonox One f***king game and a long string of felony arrests, is a whole other matter.:p :D

GreatAppSt
July 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Here we go.

That was ONE F***ING GAME!!!! GET OVER IT!!! .

Exactly 06 please start living your own advice.xthumbsupx

CopperCat
July 23rd, 2008, 09:45 AM
I have never trashed MSU because of one f***ing game!xnonox One f***king game and a long string of felony arrests, is a whole other matter.:p :D

Swing and a miss.

You may be joking, but for MSU fans it is no joking matter anymore. That garbage has long left MSU's campus.

CopperCat
July 23rd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Exactly 06 please start living your own advice.xthumbsupx

Bite me.xcoffeex

Montanan
July 23rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
it's been reported that Mr. Coulson has voluntarily checked himself into a Betty Ford Clinic, seeking help for his, now out of control, APP ST addiction. if true, kudos to Mr. Coulson for recognizing and trying to take control of this heinous additive compulsive disorder. xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx