PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Youngstown State Fan...

AlphaSigMD
July 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM
...but App State will always be my number 1

The old AlphaSigMD is headed to Youngstown to work at Northside Hospital and St. Elizabeth's.

I've already seen the stadium and am looking forward to seeing some good gateway football this fall.

If anyone from that area has any recommendations about a good apartment located somewhere in Youngstown or between Youngstown and Akron, I would be quite grateful.

IndianaAppMan
July 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM
We App fans won't hold it against ya! (At least I won't).

I too moved from the Carolinas to the Midwest. As the son of two Florida State alumni, I grew up a Seminole fan and remain one to this day, and I became an App State fan as a proud student and now alum. Living in Lafayette, Indiana and the fact that my wife works at Purdue made me decide to enjoy the sports Purdue offers, but that doesn't lessen my strongest loyalties, either.

Congrats on your new opportunity! Is this your residency, or are you finally getting a shot at the big bucks?

By the way, remember it's no long Gateway; it's Missouri Valley FBC. :)

JMU DUUUKES
July 21st, 2008, 01:29 PM
Youngstown has a great stadium, and nice fans, but you couldn't pay me to live in that town. I've never seen anything like it ... ever ...

Appaholic
July 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM
Youngstown has a great stadium, and nice fans, but you couldn't pay me to live in that town. I've never seen anything like it ... ever ...

I take it you haven't been to Gary, IN or Flint, MI xeyebrowx

AlphaSigMD
July 21st, 2008, 03:43 PM
I think for all practical purposes I'm trying to live somewhere between Akron and Youngstown. I had to break my lease in NJ, so they have me dead to rights for a few months of rent, but oh well.

I've only seen a bit of Y-town, but there are certainly parts of it I have ruled out...for safety sake.

Not making the big bucks yet, but regardless, none of the places out there look close to the premium price I was paying for living near NYC.

I just have to find something quick and hope for the best.

phillyAPP
July 21st, 2008, 03:50 PM
I think for all practical purposes I'm trying to live somewhere between Akron and Youngstown. I had to break my lease in NJ, so they have me dead to rights for a few months of rent, but oh well.

I've only seen a bit of Y-town, but there are certainly parts of it I have ruled out...for safety sake.

Not making the big bucks yet, but regardless, none of the places out there look close to the premium price I was paying for living near NYC.

I just have to find something quick and hope for the best.

Within 40 minutes you can be MILES away in Ohio or Pa. You can find a house to rent for the price you paid in NJ/NY. You'll like being half way to cleveland and pittsburg.

ASUMountaineer
July 21st, 2008, 05:17 PM
I take it you haven't been to Gary, IN or Flint, MI xeyebrowx

True, I used to live in Lansing and have a friend who is from Bay City, but lived in Durand, MI. Made it to and through Flint quite a few times. Flint is the "armpit of Michigan" and for good reason. Youngstown/ Akron not nearly as bad off.

Which is sad, because I love Michigan.

Britt, as we discussed this weekend on the mountain, it's ok at least they have a cool nickname...Penguins are cool.

penguinfan
July 21st, 2008, 05:46 PM
Welcome to Penguin Country!

Please don't be discouraged by some of the posts you are reading about Youngstown. You may (in fact you don't) want to live in the city limits, but there are very nice suburbs around Youngstown. Austintown is a very nice blue collar suburb (Home town of Jeff Wilkins!) Boardman is similar to Austintown. Poland and Canfield are the upscale suburbs (over priced, but very nice). All are very safe and very pleasant. There is not a great deal between Akron and Youngstown, and I think you would do fine (and be very happy) in any of the suburbs I just mentioned.

Youngstown has its bad areas, as do all larger cities. If you go looking for trouble, it will find you. Just know which areas to avoid. YSU is surronded by the city. I went there and my kids all go there. Never heard of ANY incidents on campus. You will be working very near campus at St. E's.

Mill Creek Park is one of the finest metro parks in the country. There are also some very respectable museums and other cultural establishments.

Youngstown is always given a black eye that it does not always deserve. It has a lot of challenges, but it also has a lot of positives. A very low cost of living and a FANTASTIC FOOTBALL team, to name a few!

I would suggest you spend a few days visiting the suburbs I just mentioned. All will have nice apartment complexes.

Again, welcome to Youngstown!

stuperman17
July 21st, 2008, 07:26 PM
Penguinfan is very right. The city of Youngstown itself isnt the greatest place to call home, but the suburbs are very very safe and a nice place to live. I've lived in boardman my whole life and theres never been any major crime in the township.

Another nice thing is your close to ****tsburgh and cleveland for entertainment purposes, if the minor league teams in the youngstown area dont do it for you. The suburbs dont even seem part of youngstown, however i'm a ten minute drive from the campus.

Mountain Panther
July 21st, 2008, 08:54 PM
...but App State will always be my number 1

The old AlphaSigMD is headed to Youngstown to work at Northside Hospital and St. Elizabeth's.

I've already seen the stadium and am looking forward to seeing some good gateway football this fall.

If anyone from that area has any recommendations about a good apartment located somewhere in Youngstown or between Youngstown and Akron, I would be quite grateful.

Go to UNI @ YSU October 25th. You won't regret it.

PantherRob82
July 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
Hopefully we can meet up when we come out!

AlphaSigMD
July 22nd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Go to UNI @ YSU October 25th. You won't regret it.

Are you kidding, I've been looking forward to that game ever since I found out I'd be heading to Ohio.

It should be a great game! Also, if I can't make it to the ASU JMU game (if I can't get tickets and its not on TV) then I may also have an outside shot at YSU-NDSU as well.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

After all the searching over the past two days, I think that I have decided to live in Kent. Its about a 35 minute drive from Youngstown, but since I am also working in 3 hospitals in Akron from Jan -August, I decided to pick something in between.

Thanks for all the help from everyone who posted, and who knows, maybe we can get together this football season and drink a couple of beers in honor of the 'neers and the 'guins!

Britt