PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville's Kerwin Bell: Scholarships?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 21st, 2008, 10:52 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=bell-wants-ju-to-play-the-best&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

“The vision I have is to one day be an App State,” the former Florida Gators quarterback said. “We talk about playing a powerhouse I-AA every year and hopefully we can do that, but if we are full scholarship we can go get big payouts from anyone in Division I, and that would be a great opportunity for us, too.”

Bell has made no secret of his desire for JU to eventually become a scholarship program, and he said Friday that plans for a new on-campus stadium are continuing. He hopes it will be completed in time for the 2009 season.

xeyebrowx

dbackjon
July 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
And probably cheaper than traveling accross the country in the PFL

DetroitFlyer
July 21st, 2008, 11:52 AM
And probably cheaper than traveling accross the country in the PFL

Probably not even close. Travel is cheap compared to funding scholarships at a private school. Just do the math for planes, hotels, meals, etc. It is amazing how much travel you can do before you even approach the cost for 63 scholarships at private schools. JU has a LONG way to go to even think about scholarships. A stadium is a must. What they have today is about as rinky dink as ANY field I have ever seen. It MIGHT qualify as a decent Pop Warner field. Who knows.... If Bell has some success and can build some momentum, maybe.... The first thing JU needs to do is to win some PFL titles. Bell strikes me as a Jim Harbaugh prototype.... Even if he is successful at JU, will he stick around or move on to a bigger and better gig? Time will tell....

DFW HOYA
July 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Florida has no tradition of non-scholarship football, and it's a challenge for JU to gain traction in a state where football players expect scholarships.

Any decision on this is probably in line with a university-wide strategy of where they want the school to be. If scholarships can build up revenues, enrollment, or both, they'll consider it.