PDA

View Full Version : Texas State hires new D-Line Coach

MaximumBobcat
July 18th, 2008, 10:16 PM
http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071808aaa.html

Mike Bugar Named Defensive Line Coach
Highly successful veteran coach brings over 31 years of experience to Bobcat football program

July 18, 2008

San Marcos, Texas - Texas State University head football coach Brad Wright has named Mike Bugar as the new defensive line coach for the Bobcats. Bugar comes to Texas State after serving seven seasons as the interior defensive line coach at North Texas from 2000-07.

"We are very excited to have Mike Bugar as our defensive line coach," Wright said. "He brings an unbelievable wealth of knowledge and experience to our staff. He also will help enhance the same "mentality" that we began to implement in our program this past January."

During his last six years at North Texas, Bugar produced seven All-Sun Belt Conference selections, including two-time Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year Brandon Kennedy. The Mean Green also led the Sun Belt in every major defensive statistical category three times during that span. In 2002, the defense ranked No. 3 nationally in scoring defense and No. 9 in total defense. From 2001-2003, only five opposing players rushed for over 100 yards in a game against Bugar's front line. His defensive front also helped hold opponents to just 104.7 yards per game rushing in 2003, which is the school's best average since 1967.

Bugar joined North Texas in 2000 as the program's strength and conditioning coordinator and became the team's interior defensive line coach in 2001. He has over 31 years of experience in coaching the defensive line and strength and conditioning.

A three-year letter winner and 1969 graduate of Florida State University, Bugar began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at his alma mater in 1970. He also has served on the staffs at Wofford College (1971-76); Gardner Webb College (1977); Clemson University (1977-79); University of Florida (1980-82); West Georgia College (1985-87); Southern Miss (1988-89); LSU (1990-93); Baylor (1994-96); Mary Hardin-Baylor (1998); and Jacksonville State (1999).

In addition, he spent one year in the professional coaching ranks as defensive line coach for the Arizona Wranglers of the USFL in 1983. He has coached under Curley Hallman at LSU, Danny Ford at Clemson and Charley Pell at Florida during his career.

He has coached for schools that appeared in 13 bowl games, including the 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 New Orleans Bowls (North Texas), 1994 Alamo (Baylor); 1990 All-American (Southern Mississippi); 1988 Independence (Southern Mississippi); 1982 Astro Bluebonnet (Florida); 1981 Peach (Florida); 1980 Tangerine (Florida); 1979 Peach (Clemson); 1978 Gator (Clemson); and 1977 Gator (Clemson). During Bugar's playing days at Florida State, the Seminoles participated in four bowl games - 1964 Gator; 1966 Sun; 1967 Gator, and 1968 Peach.

ncbears
July 18th, 2008, 10:18 PM
WHO CARES?

MaximumBobcat
July 18th, 2008, 10:23 PM
WHO CARES?

Look at the other recent threads. This is just as valid as any of them.

P.S. You should, as you'll be seeing his work all over your field this season, dismantling your team. :p :p :p :D :D :D

slycat
July 18th, 2008, 10:30 PM
sounds like a good hire. i like that he has a texas background. i just hope our secondary gets the help it needs.xnodx xnodx xnodx

slostang
July 18th, 2008, 10:35 PM
WHO CARES?

If you don't why do you feel the need to post on the thread?

Texas State fans care and it may be of interest to fans of other SLC teams.

ncbears
July 18th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Look at the other recent threads. This is just as valid as any of them.

P.S. You should, as you'll be seeing his work all over your field this season, dismantling your team. :p :p :p :D :D :D

LMAO! Just like you did last time?

BTW, we're 3-2 versus SLC teams, we'll make it 4-2 in Sep.

ncbears
July 18th, 2008, 10:45 PM
sounds like a good hire. i like that he has a texas background. i just hope our secondary gets the help it needs.xnodx xnodx xnodx

Our QB (Transfer from U.Florida) is going to have a field day! I can't wait!

MaximumBobcat
July 18th, 2008, 10:47 PM

I'm just happy that Bleil is the coach of the safeties. Our CBs look good this year with Drenard Williams, Mo Crosby, Will Thompson and more. But I think safeties look to be the weakest spot.

slycat
July 18th, 2008, 10:48 PM

true but i seem to remember your rb stepping out of bounds on his way to the game winning td and not getting called for it.

all the same im looking forward to my trip to Greeley this fall.

slycat
July 18th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I'm just happy that Bleil is the coach of the safeties. Our CBs look good this year with Drenard Williams, Mo Crosby, Will Thompson and more. But I think safeties look to be the weakest spot.

this guy should be great.

MaximumBobcat
July 18th, 2008, 10:53 PM
true but i seem to remember your rb stepping out of bounds on his way to the game winning td and not getting called for it.

all the same im looking forward to my trip to Greeley this fall.

IIRC, it was Mo Crosby that dove across the line for a TD that was called as out of bounds. Bailiff argued, but it was no use. The next week, a vid was posted online and on Channel 8 News showing that it was indeed a TD. They got the W on paper, but we all know who scored more points on the field that day. xnodx

slycat
July 18th, 2008, 10:54 PM
IIRC, it was Mo Crosby that dove across the line for a TD that was called as out of bounds. Bailiff argued, but it was no use. The next week, a vid was posted online and on Channel 8 News showing that it was indeed a TD. They got the W on paper, but we all know who scored more points on the field that day. xnodx

thats right my bad.

ncbears
July 18th, 2008, 10:55 PM
3-2 v. SLC teams. We've got a better record against your conference then our own!

McTailGator
July 19th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Come down and play us if you want a dose of reality.

McNeese75
July 19th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Come down and play us if you want a dose of reality.

xnodx

Now that's some funny stuff. NC fans trying to smack ANYBODY xlolx

Congrats to the Cats on what appears to be a good hire.

ncbears
July 19th, 2008, 12:29 PM
xnodx

Now that's some funny stuff. NC fans trying to smack ANYBODY xlolx

Congrats to the Cats on what appears to be a good hire.

BUT, we CAN smack SLC teams. As I've posted it before, we have a winning record against that conference!

Cat79
July 19th, 2008, 03:37 PM
ncbears,

You will lose this time.:D

McNeese75
July 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM
BUT, we CAN smack SLC teams. As I've posted it before, we have a winning record against that conference!

Then you better quit while your ahead because if you get down in this neck of the woods it is going to get ugly xnodx

ncbears
July 19th, 2008, 09:03 PM
ncbears,

You will win again.:D

Fixed it for you!