PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Johnson Joins Fordham Coaching Staff

JoltinJoe
July 18th, 2008, 06:52 PM
The former Duke standout, who graduated with a year of eligibility left and then enrolled in a graduate program at Delaware, was a standout linebacker on the Blue Hens' 2003 national championship team.

Fordham hired Johnson to serve as a linebackers coach. I would guess (although I'm not sure of this) that Johnson has enrolled in a graduate program at Fordham.

Johnson's brother Travis was a star TE on Fordham's 2002 team that made the national final eight. Shawn Johnson actually sought to enroll at Fordham in 2003, but he could not play football there due to PL eligibility rules that prohibit graduate transfers.

When it became clear that Johnson could not play at Fordham, Dave Clawson, then the Fordham coach, gave a call to his former assistant Dave Cohen, who had moved on to become Defensive Coordinator at Delaware.

So we're glad to finally have Shawn Johnson join the Fordham program. A guy who graduated from Duke with a degree biological anthropology and anatomy, could have a bright future in coaching. xnodx

Shawn Johnson (http://fordhamsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/johnson_shawn00.html)

Fordham
July 18th, 2008, 08:37 PM
sounds like a great addition and nice to FINALLY have him here.

btw, is this a good spot to bury the news of our West Virginia WR transfer? I really didn't feel right putting it anywhere near DFW's thread lamenting Gtown's roster 'consistency'.

YoUDeeMan
July 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM
The former Duke standout, who graduated with a year of eligibility left and then enrolled in a graduate program at Delaware, was a standout linebacker on the Blue Hens' 2003 national championship team.

Shawn was not a linebacker at Delaware - he was a DE. His brother, Erik, is currently a LB at UD.

Glad to see he is still involved in football and pursuing his degree. Although almost unstoppable in I-AA, he tried out for the pros and didn't make it.

You won't have any troubles with Shawn. He he was a great player and also a good person and leader at UD. xthumbsupx

JayJ79
July 18th, 2008, 10:11 PM
What's the tiny olympic gymnast chick from Iowa gonna do at Fordham?

j/k ;op

bluehenbillk
July 18th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Congrats to Shawn. Actually a correction, Shawn was a stud DE for the Hens, not a LB like his little brother current senior LB Eric.

Henny
July 19th, 2008, 12:22 AM
On the first day of practice, Shawn should just put in a highlight film of his playing days. The players will run through a brick wall after watching him torment offenses.

On one play against Rhody, he blew by the tackle, sacked the QB, blocked the pitch and recovered the fumble.

JoltinJoe
July 19th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Shawn was not a linebacker at Delaware - he was a DE. His brother, Erik, is currently a LB at UD.

xnodx Yup. Thanks for the correction.

UDBlueLotFan
July 19th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Good to see the Johnson name cont'ing at Fordham. Always good to have bloodlines come back into a program. Good luck this season xthumbsupx