PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Higgins signs 5-year contract extension

Millwoch
July 18th, 2008, 04:06 PM
The Citadel and Coach Kevin Higgins agreed on a 5 year contract extension. Very good news for the Bulldogs.

http://www.charleston.net/blogs/bulldog_bites/2008/jul/18/Extension/

citdog
July 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM
The Citadel and Coach Kevin Higgins agreed on a 5 year contract extension. Very good news for the Bulldogs.

http://www.charleston.net/blogs/bulldog_bites/2008/jul/18/Extension/

GET READY FCS......'CAUSE THE DOGS ARE THRUSTING!

WCU LawCat
July 18th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Just hope that your program does not fall completely apart like ours did right after Briggs got an extension.

Higgins is a better coach though

CID1990
July 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Higgins is a better coach than Charlie Taaffe was.

We'll be taking down and FBS team or two before long. The studs this guy has been bringing in are amazing.

We need to raise the pay for a couple of his assistants too, starting with the OC.

citdog
July 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Just hope that your program does not fall completely apart like ours did right after Briggs got an extension.

Higgins is a better coach though

SORRY...OUR PLAYERS DON'T SCREW THE WIVES OF THEIR COACHES AND DO NOT COMPLETELY LACK DISCIPLINE LIKE YOUR CATAMOUNTS.

RazorEdge19
July 18th, 2008, 04:58 PM

We'll be taking down and FBS team or two before long. The studs this guy has been bringing in are amazing.

We need to raise the pay for a couple of his assistants too, starting with the OC.

He's a high-quality coach. However, it may be premature to say you'll be taking down FBS teams anytime soon. Nothing personal, but you may want to start with a conference championship.

catamount man
July 18th, 2008, 05:29 PM
SORRY...OUR PLAYERS DON'T SCREW THE WIVES OF THEIR COACHES AND DO NOT COMPLETELY LACK DISCIPLINE LIKE YOUR CATAMOUNTS.

You knew you made it with Taafe's old lady!!!!!!!!! xthumbsupx

BTW, the discipline snafus are a thing of the past with Wagner on board. You best believe dat PLAYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xthumbsupx

CID1990
July 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM
He's a high-quality coach. However, it may be premature to say you'll be taking down FBS teams anytime soon. Nothing personal, but you may want to start with a conference championship.

Is the number at the end of your screen name your age? Because that would explain your lack of historical perspective.

Between 1988 and 1992 we were 6-1 versus FBS opponents. Air Force was the only team that beat us in that stretch, and that game was a toss up; could have just as easily gone our way.

That being said, in only one of those years did we win the SoCon. That was the year we beat Arkansas and Army. In 1990 we beat USC but did not win the SoCon. In 1988 we beat Navy but did not win the SoCon. We also beat Army in 1991 and did not win the SoCon.

The gap between FCS and FBS is a little bit closer than it was back then. One of the major differences is in allowed scholarships in the subdivisions. In the early 90s, very few FCS teams were beating the FBS guys. Today, there are a handful of FCS wins each year; those wins are almost common. In fact, the top 10-15 FCS teams these days would be favored to beat most mid-major teams.

Therefore, being able to drop an FBS teams would be less of an accomplishment than being able to win the SoCon, especially if it is a mid-major team or one of the bottom dwellers in a BCS conference. Winning the SOCon is not a stepping stone to being able to play with the FBS, it is actually the other way around. We were an interception and one blown coverage call away from being right there with Wisconsin last year. ASU was more dominant.

Now if we can just stop scheduling the Floridas of the world....

Franks Tanks
July 18th, 2008, 05:38 PM
GET READY FCS......'CAUSE THE DOGS ARE THRUSTING!

You guys really like that PA born and bred Yankee. Takes a all-business Yankee to get your stuff straight xlolx

RazorEdge19
July 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Is the number at the end of your screen name your age? Because that would explain your lack of historical perspective.

Between 1988 and 1992 we were 6-1 versus FBS opponents. Air Force was the only team that beat us in that stretch, and that game was a toss up; could have just as easily gone our way.

That being said, in only one of those years did we win the SoCon. That was the year we beat Arkansas and Army. In 1990 we beat USC but did not win the SoCon. In 1988 we beat Navy but did not win the SoCon. We also beat Army in 1991 and did not win the SoCon.

The gap between FCS and FBS is a little bit closer than it was back then. One of the major differences is in allowed scholarships in the subdivisions. In the early 90s, very few FCS teams were beating the FBS guys. Today, there are a handful of FCS wins each year; those wins are almost common. In fact, the top 10-15 FCS teams these days would be favored to beat most mid-major teams.

Therefore, being able to drop an FBS teams would be less of an accomplishment than being able to win the SoCon, especially if it is a mid-major team or one of the bottom dwellers in a BCS conference. Winning the SOCon is not a stepping stone to being able to play with the FBS, it is actually the other way around. We were an interception and one blown coverage call away from being right there with Wisconsin last year. ASU was more dominant.

Now if we can just stop scheduling the Floridas of the world....

I'm older then 19, yes, and I am fully-aware of the Citadel's storied history with football. In their history, the Citadel has been a very successful program. However, I was speaking more in the current age, the last decade or so, and under Higgin's leadership. Its not a beseeching mark against the Citadel, rather a note that to get back to their previous levels of success, one would perhaps seek a conference championship against their peers before seeking a victory over a higher-level team.

Simply an observation, not a criticism.

WCU LawCat
July 18th, 2008, 09:45 PM

I never met or saw the woman but I heard she was smokin hotxnodx

Seriously that is a time in Western's past that we would all like to forget about. The new season and era can not get here soon enough...even if we lose every game with a totally new roster.

ngineer
July 18th, 2008, 10:10 PM

Isn't that still Dave Cecchini..former Lehigh star WR and OC under Higgins at Lehigh? All you need now is to change those unis to a manly brown than powder blue.;) :D

CID1990
July 19th, 2008, 10:11 AM
[/B]

Isn't that still Dave Cecchini..former Lehigh star WR and OC under Higgins at Lehigh? All you need now is to change those unis to a manly brown than powder blue.;) :D

Yep, that's exactly who I'm talking about. Sorry to see that somebody else knows about him (understandably since you are a Lehigh fan, but we would love to keep him off the radar).

The guy actually was apologetic about the second-half interception we threw in the Wisconsin game. We were tied at 28, and he makes a call that results in an interception. He commented about feeling bad about it. The guy never quits scheming, and takes it as a personal failure when he makes a bad call. Jeez, he had us locked up with the Badgers and he's still looking to do it better.

The guy is a brilliant OC and I hope we can hang on to him for a long time.

citdog
July 19th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Yep, that's exactly who I'm talking about. Sorry to see that somebody else knows about him (understandably since you are a Lehigh fan, but we would love to keep him off the radar).

The guy actually was apologetic about the second-half interception we threw in the Wisconsin game. We were tied at 28, and he makes a call that results in an interception. He commented about feeling bad about it. The guy never quits scheming, and takes it as a personal failure when he makes a bad call. Jeez, he had us locked up with the Badgers and he's still looking to do it better.

The guy is a brilliant OC and I hope we can hang on to him for a long time.

SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH........HE'S OUR LITTLE SECRET

ngineer
July 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
"Chick" aint no secret. After his career and OC stint at his alma mater, he spent several years at Harvard where he lit up the scoreboard for the Crimson. Then Higgins came a-calling. Me thinks he'll stick with Kevin for a bit...UNLESS (1) Coen is unable to turn our program around from it's recent mediocrity and Chick answers the the 'call' to return home, or (2) a bigger time FBS school dangles a significant opportunity in front of him. I think Coen is relatively safe through 2009. If we're not back on the beam by then the Brown & White Yankees may undertake a little 'southern raid'.;) :D

Go...gate
July 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I'm older then 19, yes, and I am fully-aware of the Citadel's storied history with football. In their history, the Citadel has been a very successful program. However, I was speaking more in the current age, the last decade or so, and under Higgins' leadership. Its not a beseeching mark against the Citadel, rather a note that to get back to their previous levels of success, one would perhaps seek a conference championship against their peers before seeking a victory over a higher-level team.

Simply an observation, not a criticism.

Ouch. That makes me from the Dark Ages for sure!!

Great move by The Citadel. The guy is a flat-out winner and you guys will be in playoff contention often.

Eyes of Old Main
July 20th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Higgins is a good coach and will be a credit to The Citadel's program so long as he stays. What kind of buyout was put into place?

Appaholic
July 20th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Higgins is a good coach and will be a credit to The Citadel's program so long as he stays. What kind of buyout was put into place?

Good question......and hate to say it, but El Cid needs to max out their potential with Higgins in the next two years.....if he continues his success, and there is no reason to think he won't, leaving before the end of that contract is a very real possibility......would be great if he never left El Cid, but it's not likely if a big one comes calling.....congrats, and hope he stays...a strong Citadel program is good for the entire conference..xpeacex

elcid96
July 22nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
This is some great news. We are in for some great Citadel Football.

Franks Tanks
July 22nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Good question......and hate to say it, but El Cid needs to max out their potential with Higgins in the next two years.....if he continues his success, and there is no reason to think he won't, leaving before the end of that contract is a very real possibility......would be great if he never left El Cid, but it's not likely if a big one comes calling.....congrats, and hope he stays...a strong Citadel program is good for the entire conference..xpeacex

Kevin may stay. He bolted Lehigh when his stock was super high (some people thought he would get the Rutgers job that went to Schiano) but ended up going to the Lions as their QB coach. He always seemed pretty miserable there, and it appears he likes being a HC. I doubt he would leave unless he got an offer as a FBS HC.

Appaholic
July 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Kevin may stay. He bolted Lehigh when his stock was super high (some people thought he would get the Rutgers job that went to Schiano) but ended up going to the Lions as their QB coach. He always seemed pretty miserable there, and it appears he likes being a HC. I doubt he would leave unless he got an offer as a FBS HC.

Which may happen next year if he has another successful year and Schiano bolts for Penn St as some have speculated.....Rutgers would be open again.....

CID1990
July 22nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Higgins has done and said some things to make people around here think he might be staying for a while regardless of what offers come his way. That being said, money talks, but he certainly seems to like Charleston, and he definitely likes coaching in the small college atmosphere; he has made that very clear. Either way, we'll make good use of him while we have him, and we'll try to convince him that this would be a good place for him to spend the rest of his career.

CSUBUCDAD
July 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Funny they are talking about beating BCS teams when they have had 1 winning season in the last humpteen years and they woosed out of playing CSU every year. Give me a break. Given all that Higgins is an outstanding coach and the Dogs got a deal keeping him around.

Appaholic
July 22nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Higgins has done and said some things to make people around here think he might be staying for a while regardless of what offers come his way. That being said, money talks, but he certainly seems to like Charleston, and he definitely likes coaching in the small college atmosphere; he has made that very clear. Either way, we'll make good use of him while we have him, and we'll try to convince him that this would be a good place for him to spend the rest of his career.

Hope he does.....good for whole conference.....

g-webb1994
July 22nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
Big time move by Citadel, good for the SoCon, maybe we can play them sometime soon.

CSU fans talking smack to Citadel fans? Pot.....kettle?

citdog
July 23rd, 2008, 09:42 AM
Funny they are talking about beating BCS teams when they have had 1 winning season in the last humpteen years and they woosed out of playing CSU every year. Give me a break. Given all that Higgins is an outstanding coach and the Dogs got a deal keeping him around.

WE BEAT THE **** OUT OF YOU EVERY TIME EXCEPT FOR A FLUKE....YOU LADSON WHITE TRASH SCUM REALLY DON'T KNOW WHEN TO SHUT THE **** UP AND TAKE YOUR BEATING DO YOU. GET A FREAKING HAIRCUT YOU FAT, HIPPIE, JERRY GARCIA LOOKING SWINE.