PDA

View Full Version : Northern Iowa vs. BYU

Rob Iola
July 17th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I've been tough on UNI on the smack boards, so lemme make it up to my good buds UNI88 and Cap'n and PFL and other Purple Panthers by starting a thread on a game that up until now has kinda flown under the radar - #6 (consensus FCS) UNI vs. #14 (consensus FBS) BYU in Provo on August 30.

Sure it's not #1 A vs. #1 L, but it is arguably far more provocative and interesting than UD's upcoming thumping at unranked Maryland. And with Johnny Gray and Corey Lewis returning, they just might have the weapons to pull off the upset. Thoughts?

BTW, a quick gander at UNI's 2008 media guide impressed me with UNI's facilities, overall quality, and most of all their emphasis on family. I'm serious. You folks in Cedar Falls have a real jewel there.

(warning - this PDF is 60+ megs...)
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2008-FB-Media-Guide.pdf

Ivytalk
July 17th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I've been tough on UNI on the smack boards, so lemme make it up to my good buds UNI88 and Cap'n and PFL and other Purple Panthers by starting a thread on a game that up until now has kinda flown under the radar - #6 (consensus FCS) UNI vs. #14 (consensus FBS) BYU in Provo on August 30.

Sure it's not #1 A vs. #1 L, but it is arguably far more provocative and interesting than UD's upcoming thumping at unranked Maryland. And with Johnny Gray and Corey Lewis returning, they just might have the weapons to pull off the upset. Thoughts?

BTW, a quick gander at UNI's 2008 media guide impressed me with UNI's facilities, overall quality, and most of all their emphasis on family. I'm serious. You folks in Cedar Falls have a real jewel there.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2008-FB-Media-Guide.pdf

Against BYU, they'll need all of that!:D I think BYU wins by two scores, but UNI will acquit themselves well.

Rob Iola
July 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Against BYU, they'll need all of that!:D I think BYU wins by two scores, but UNI will acquit themselves well.
True - BYU will beat them on family, at least in terms of number of wives...

Mountain Panther
July 18th, 2008, 07:46 PM
It will be the first start for our new QB and mostly new offensive line (although most of the new starters on the line saw significant playing time last year). More good news - we have two of the best QB and offensive line coaches in the country.

There are rumblings from inside the program that this defense could be (dare I say) one of our best groups ever. If that's true, the D will hold BYU's offense in check while it would be up to our offense to attempt to win the game.

That being said, need a near perfect game to win it.

skinny_uncle
July 18th, 2008, 07:49 PM
It could happen.

Reed Rothchild
July 19th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Our Dline will have to get pressure on the QB, otherwise I'm not sure how the DBs will hold up against BYU's passing attack. If the Cougars jump ahead early and start blitzing like crazy to bury UNI, it good get ugly fast. BUT, I think the defense can keep the Panthers in this one. The oline will be fine but Grace absolutely cannot have any turnovers. Should be a fun one!

Reed Rothchild
July 19th, 2008, 09:46 AM

Thanks! UNI football is a first class operation and our fans really take pride in the team.

griz&beer
July 19th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I hate BYU I hope UNI kick the ***** ot of thoes di3ks

Go...gate
July 19th, 2008, 02:33 PM
It is a great stretch game. Best of luck to UNI - go get 'em. xthumbsupx

Reed Rothchild
July 19th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I hate BYU I hope UNI kick the ***** ot of thoes di3ks

I've been getting the impression that the BYU fans are not very highly thought of around the country.

I Bleed Purple
July 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM
WOOT. A POLYGAMIST byoo JOKE 2 POSTS IN.

HOW ORIGINAL. xrolleyesx

Yawn.

Rob Iola
July 19th, 2008, 04:20 PM
WOOT. A POLYGAMIST byoo JOKE 2 POSTS IN.

HOW ORIGINAL. xrolleyesx

Yawn.
Nah, that wasn't a polygamist joke.

THIS is a polygamist joke:
Q: What’s great about being Mormon AND living in Tennessee?
A: You can marry ALL your cousins!

I Bleed Purple
July 19th, 2008, 04:32 PM
True - BYU will beat them on family, at least in terms of number of wives...

Wow...I didn't know that wasn't a polygamist joke...

And of course the implication in the second post CERTAINLY wasn't anything at all polygamist related.

Yawn.

You should move on to bigger fish. Blacks. Jews. Irish.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM
What the hell? Is Utah becoming a new PC hub? The founder of the University had 27 wives correct? Someone can't make a joke about that?

JayJ79
July 19th, 2008, 05:57 PM
What the hell? Is Utah becoming a new PC hub? The founder of the University had 27 wives correct? Someone can't make a joke about that?

No doubt.

I mean, I personally don't have a problem with the notion of polygamy. As long as everyone involved is in favor of it and of legal age. But I don't see anything wrong with making fun of it either.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 19th, 2008, 06:06 PM
No doubt.

I mean, I personally don't have a problem with the notion of polygamy. As long as everyone involved is in favor of it and of legal age. But I don't see anything wrong with making fun of it either.

Not only do I have nothing against it, I am completely for it. If one man wants to take on the task of keeping several of the women busy with chores I'm all for it.

I Bleed Purple
July 19th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I'm sure a lot of people can, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and have, and so *yawn.*

MplsBison
July 19th, 2008, 07:26 PM
They may be mormons, but they can play ball. Best of luck to UNI, they won't get blown out. But they will not win.

Mountain Panther
July 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM
They may be mormons, but they can play ball. Best of luck to UNI, they won't get blown out. But they will not win.

I'm saving this post, just in case. xrulesx

BeauFoster
July 19th, 2008, 07:42 PM
One thing I think I read in the media guide, the next UNI game will be # 1,000.

PantherRob82
July 20th, 2008, 06:27 PM

I'm saving this post, just in case. xrulesx

Good call. Although nothing Mpls says ever comes back to bite him. xrolleyesx

Appaholic
July 20th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I've been getting the impression that the BYU fans are not very highly thought of around the country.

Dumb bunch of crackers.....xwhistlex

Appaholic
July 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Wow...I didn't know that wasn't a polygamist joke...

And of course the implication in the second post CERTAINLY wasn't anything at all polygamist related.

Yawn.

You should move on to bigger fish. Blacks. Jews. Irish.

An Irish Catholic Priest and a Jew Rabbi were walking down the street when they came upon a group of boys playing stickball. The Priest leaned over to the Rabbi and said, "We outta go over there, grab one of them boys, and **** him...."

The Jew responded, "....out of what?"

Rob Iola
July 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
An Irish Catholic Priest and a Jew Rabbi were walking down the street when they came upon a group of boys playing stickball. The Priest leaned over to the Rabbi and said, "We outta go over there, grab one of them boys, and **** him...."

Were those black boys playing stickball?

Appaholic
July 20th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Were those black boys playing stickball?

naahh.....spics.....

Rob Iola
July 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM
naahh.....spics.....
well ok then - cuz if they were black boys you could make the argument that they had 1 dad and multiple moms, which would be like polygamy without the marriage part...

um, just move along now, nothing to see here...

Mountain Panther
July 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM
ALLLLLLRIGHTEETHEN......back to the game.

Day: Saturday
Date: Aug. 30, 2008
Time: 5:00 p.m. CT

Coverage
Radio: UNI Sports
TV: The Mountain?

catamount man
July 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM

As opposed to a Muslim Rabbi? xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx xbowx

Sorry, had to bust your chimes. Down 34.8-didn't lose crap this past week. It goes that way some weeks.

Appaholic
July 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM
As opposed to a Muslim Rabbi? xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx xbowx

Sorry, had to bust your chimes. Down 34.8-didn't lose crap this past week. It goes that way some weeks.

Fair enough....don't know why I included that.....xrotatehx ....I lost five pounds myself.....but found it on my ass...xcoffeex

MplsBison
July 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
BYU is a contender for the BCS title game this season.

I just don't see what UNI fans are clinging to.

Hoyadestroya85
July 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
i honestly think it could be a blowout.. BYU could win a national championship next year

jessesd
July 20th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I heard the same talk last year prior to the Youngstown State and OSU and many other FCS and BCS, we all know the results with one execption. I don't think another FCS will beat a FBS contender team for a while.

BYU by at least 2 scores as someone else called it. BYU won't pad the score as many other schools would...the pity rule, they are mormons after all!

I Bleed Purple
July 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM
They played Eastern Washington last year. Wasn't a blow out I think. Anyone got the score?

No need to look. I got it. 42-7.

They're supposedly the best team that isn't in a BCS conference. I'll predict 42-7.

griz&beer
July 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM
i honestly think it could be a blowout.. BYU could win a national championship next year

No way, I don't see that at all. And the BCS will never let it happen. They my and I say may win a bigger bowl game.

MplsBison
July 20th, 2008, 09:59 PM
If they go undefeated, they will do the same thing as Boise and Hawaii, I think.

dystopiamembrane
July 21st, 2008, 09:15 AM
I don't care the score, just hit the QB hard.

Put Max Hall out for the season, please.

dystopiamembrane
July 21st, 2008, 09:20 AM
TV: The Mountain?
Correct.

Mountain Panther
July 21st, 2008, 08:50 PM
BYU could win a national championship next year

So in other words, they're be the 2008 version of Hawaii? xrolleyesx

I Bleed Purple
July 21st, 2008, 09:17 PM
Except they play people. They have Washington and UCLA on the schedule.

crunifan
July 21st, 2008, 10:30 PM
Except they play people. They have Washington and UCLA on the schedule.

Umm, Hawaii beat Washington last year.

And UCLA isn't amazing either...

Big Al
July 22nd, 2008, 12:33 AM
BYU is a contender for the BCS title game this season.

I just don't see what UNI fans are clinging to.

Nah. The pundits just like to bring up BYU's name every year because it's easy to remember and they were good/great in the 80s.

BYU is maybe Hawaii BCS good, but not Boise State BCS good.

That said, if I were a betting man I wouldn't bet against BYU. I don't think it will be Eastern Washington bad, though.

uni88
July 28th, 2008, 10:30 AM
It is unlikely but UNI has an outside shot at beating BYU. The most likely ending is that UNI keeps it close for 2-3 quarters and ends up losing by 14-24 points.

Some things in UNI's favor:
- It's the first game of the season (easier to beat an FBS team when they haven't worked the kinks out and might be looking ahead)
- They're used to playing in front of large crowds (and I'm not sure if the BYU crowd will be as rowdy as some they've played in front of)
- Their offensive style could frustrate BYU and keep them from playing the kind of game they prefer (shootout). Big & talented offensive line along with depth and talent at RB could lead to long drives that keep BYU's offense off the field.

Some things in BYU's favor:
- They're a legitimate top 20 team. They return a lot of players from a team that played well in 2007. They might not be as good as Boise St was but they should be stronger than Hawaii in 2007.
- UNI is starting a new quarterback and four lineman.
- BYU has a top quarterback and a strong, experienced offensive line.
- UNI's defense was susceptible to accurate passing (but if they can put serious pressure on Hall, I'm not sure he can withstand it the way Flacco did).
- The altitude

Chi Panther
July 28th, 2008, 10:56 PM
UNI may not win...but I'm sick of hearing about their QB.

He may be very talented and have alot of talent around him, but kids like Nick Hill, Ricky Santos, Joe Flacco to name a few didn't suck either....

The defense also got to against Sanders magic day in and day out....

Elevation won't help either....

I Bleed Purple
July 29th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I don't like Byoo, but I've heard they have a MWC top 3 RB. They do like to throw, but recent years they have run a lot more.

I Bleed Purple
August 3rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
BYU 17th in coaches poll.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings?pollId=2&seasonYear=2008

Although I just saw on the late night sports show that the last time BYU was ranked in the preseason poll they went 6-5.

ShowMeBear2
August 3rd, 2008, 07:35 AM
BYU fans are classless. Wierd folks in Provo.

Purple For Life
August 3rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
UNI may not win...but I'm sick of hearing about their QB.

He may be very talented and have alot of talent around him, but kids like Nick Hill, Ricky Santos, Joe Flacco to name a few didn't suck either....

The defense also got to against Sanders magic day in and day out....

Elevation won't help either....

Sanders graduated. xrolleyesx Keep up! It's Pat Grace now.

Purple For Life
August 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM

Much obliged for the CF love. We've got a good thing here and we know it, which is probably why some of us get swelled heads about it sometimes...we know we are lucky!

As for the game...I honestly can't say. I want UNI to win, but if they can't win, I want them to play tough and hang in there right alongside BYU.

PantherRob82
August 3rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
Sanders graduated. xrolleyesx Keep up! It's Pat Grace now.

He was saying our returning defensive players got to practice against Sanders. ;)

FL connection
August 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Grew up around CF......awesome place. UNI must get out of the gate and hold tempo.....something EIU didn't do three years ago. Impressive football setting. connection out!!!

Purple For Life
August 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM
He was saying our returning defensive players got to practice against Sanders. ;)

Ahhh. Well, that's not an unfair advantage. xthumbsupx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
August 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I'll be pulling for them and be at the game. I was hoping Eastern Washington would have a chance last year as well but they were just over matched. BYU is big and experienced. I don't think they will stumble out of the gate from what I am hearing down here. BYU's really fast reciever may be out for this game, he has a stress fracture. The thing that NIU is going to have to deal with is their big and fast running back, he is going to keep the pass defense playing rush defense and then they will throw the ball. I'll be cheering for NIU in my marroon, but I don't think it is going to happen for them. BYU will not make it look bad for NIU, they will pull their starters early and get younger players playing time, so I think this will be a good game for NIU either way. I was really hoping the Griz would schedule this opening, but I'll take watching NIU, I love football, don't care who is playing, but I love my Griz :)

P.S. if anyone is going to the game message me and we can try and meet up at the game or even the night before for a beer....and yes you can find it here, just not at the stadium ;)

skinny_uncle
August 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I'll be pulling for them and be at the game. I was hoping Eastern Washington would have a chance last year as well but they were just over matched. BYU is big and experienced. I don't think they will stumble out of the gate from what I am hearing down here. BYU's really fast reciever may be out for this game, he has a stress fracture. The thing that NIU is going to have to deal with is their big and fast running back, he is going to keep the pass defense playing rush defense and then they will throw the ball. I'll be cheering for NIU in my marroon, but I don't think it is going to happen for them. BYU will not make it look bad for NIU, they will pull their starters early and get younger players playing time, so I think this will be a good game for NIU either way. I was really hoping the Griz would schedule this opening, but I'll take watching NIU, I love football, don't care who is playing, but I love my Griz :)

P.S. if anyone is going to the game message me and we can try and meet up at the game or even the night before for a beer....and yes you can find it here, just not at the stadium ;)
I had no clue that BYU was playing Northern Illinois University. (I just thought I would beat the Panther fans to it.)

GrizFanStuckInUtah
August 5th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Sorry, this is what happens when you multi-task ;-)

JayJ79
August 5th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I had no clue that BYU was playing Northern Illinois University. (I just thought I would beat the Panther fans to it.)

NIU is playing UBY on that day.

skinny_uncle
August 5th, 2008, 01:08 PM
NIU is playing UBY on that day.
Actually NIU is playing @ Minnesota. I've never heard them called UBY. Was that an attempt at humor?
xconfusedx

PantherRob82
August 5th, 2008, 05:21 PM

We'll be there Thurs night. xthumbsupx

Rob Iola
August 5th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Actually NIU is playing @ Minnesota. I've never heard them called UBY. Was that an attempt at humor?
xconfusedx
UNI is to NIU as BYU is to UBY - kinda cute, no?

Be interesting to see how Jerry Kill does against a Big 10 opponent for his first game at NIU...

I Bleed Purple
August 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM

I imagine you'll be one of those at the MU/UWS game right?

(And by that I mean the UM/WSU game)

GrizFanStuckInUtah
August 6th, 2008, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=(And by that I mean the UM/WSU game)[/QUOTE]

I'll be there with about 20 family members and friends, just look for the one wearing maroon ..... wait, that won't work......most of the stadium will be maroon! :D OFC I will be there, I have made it every year the Griz have played at Weber since I moved down here. The last game was very entertaining. They need to move the visitors away from behind your players though, too easy to pick on them. I think I made it 10 steps from my rig when I heard a "You suck!" from a passing car. Don't get me wrong, that is why I go and hope it is all it good fun as I take it that way.

Chi Panther
August 12th, 2008, 07:25 PM
http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=18335

UNI no longer is going to show up and play.xbawlingx

BYU has already won. xmadx

I'm not one to talk about race.....but BYU having polynesians.....has been added to the list of why we have already lost.....xnonono2x

EWU fans, were BYU fans this bad last year?????xrolleyesx

Syntax Error
August 30th, 2008, 03:07 PM
online link?

Mountain Panther
August 30th, 2008, 03:09 PM
online link?

You don't get DirecTV?