PDA

View Full Version : ASU gets ESPY Snub

jonmac
July 17th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Bummer. xsmhx xnonono2x

From GoASU.com, "Appalachian was one of four nominees in the “Best Upset” category, which was won by the New York Giants for their win over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. Fresno State baseball claiming the 2008 College World Series and Da’Tara's win in the Belmont Stakes rounded out the Best Upset nominees."

http://www.goasu.com/article/12007/

houtexan
July 17th, 2008, 08:05 AM
ASU over Michigan was by far my favorite and most impressive of the year. Fresno State baseball second, then NYG vs NE (it's pro ball - expected).

AshevilleApp2
July 17th, 2008, 08:07 AM
No big deal.

blueballs
July 17th, 2008, 08:19 AM
App's stunner was a bigger upset, but the Super Bowl is a bigger stage and E$PN does stand for "Eastern Sports Programming Network," remember? No surprise there...

gophoenix
July 17th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Bummer. xsmhx xnonono2x

From GoASU.com, "Appalachian was one of four nominees in the “Best Upset” category, which was won by the New York Giants for their win over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. Fresno State baseball claiming the 2008 College World Series and Da’Tara's win in the Belmont Stakes rounded out the Best Upset nominees."

http://www.goasu.com/article/12007/

I don't understand, where's the snub?

biggie
July 17th, 2008, 08:39 AM
In the article at least it is mentioned that the Mich game was talked about a lot. Should be good to watch Sunday anyway.

Just to prove in the large world of sports FCS is still way down the ladder.

jonmac
July 17th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I don't understand, where's the snub?

Um, we didn't win.

Appinator
July 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM
App's stunner was a bigger upset, but the Super Bowl is a bigger stage and E$PN does stand for "Eastern Sports Programming Network," remember? No surprise there...

Agreed, not to pull one of those "media bias" arguments out of the bag, it did seem that ESPN knew which one IT was voting for through all of their adds.

Not really that disappointed though, I deem the ESPY's as prestigious as the awards SpikeTV gives out. It's an entire event created for ratings during the depths of sports' biggest off-season. The only reason to watch it at all is to remember Jimmy V and recognize his cancer research organization.

I-AA Fan
July 17th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Why would you say it was a "snub". It was one of the finalists. Being left off the list entirely would be a "snub". A great deal more people watch the super bowl & a major horse race than a Michigan game. Especially a Michigan game on a network no one picks up.

I wanted Fresno St. Their win would be like App winning a play-off against the top-16 IA teams. The Giants can beat anyone at any time, not much of an upset to me. These guys are overpaid football players, they better be able to win. As to the horse race, it was not a "photo finish" against the best and worst horses, the jockey pulled back on him.

mcveyrl
July 17th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I actually think that Fresno State was the biggest, if you look at what it was for and how it happened.

App State (probably one of the top 100 of all college football teams in the country) beat Michigan which ended up as MAYBE in the top 50.

Fresno State, after a full season of playing (so rankings were fairly accurate), BARELY got into a 64 team tournament, made it through the tournament, even beating the number two team in an elimination game and beat the number eight team in a 2 out of 3 after losing the first game. It really was an incredible upset and run.

But, a New York team beating an "unbeatable" team from Boston will ALWAYS get the ESPN nod.

Eaglesrus
July 17th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I actually think that Fresno State was the biggest, if you look at what it was for and how it happened.

App State (probably one of the top 100 of all college football teams in the country) beat Michigan which ended up as MAYBE in the top 50.

Fresno State, after a full season of playing (so rankings were fairly accurate), BARELY got into a 64 team tournament, made it through the tournament, even beating the number two team in an elimination game and beat the number eight team in a 2 out of 3 after losing the first game. It really was an incredible upset and run.

But, a New York team beating an "unbeatable" team from Boston will ALWAYS get the ESPN nod.

Before the college world series I would have voted for App State, but now have to agree with mcveryl. Also have to agree with others that "only" being a finalist shouldn't be considered a snub.

mcveyrl
July 17th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Before the college world series I would have voted for App State, but now have to agree with mcveryl. Also have to agree with others that "only" being a finalist shouldn't be considered a snub.

Yea, APP over Michigan would've been second for me too.

BlueHen86
July 17th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I would have given it to Fresno St. They didn't just beat one team, but beat several teams over the course of a few weeks.

ASU over Michigan was a great win, perhaps the greatest FCS over FBS win ever, but I didn't see as that much of an upset. I think ASU was pretty good and Mich. was not as good as many thought.

No pro game should ever win this category, the margin between the best and worse NFL team is slim (and the Superbowl wasn't between the best and worst).

No way I give it to a horse.

mcveyrl
July 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I would have given it to Fresno St. They didn't just beat one team, but beat several teams over the course of a few weeks.

ASU over Michigan was a great win, perhaps the greatest FCS over FBS win ever, but I didn't see as that much of an upset. I think ASU was pretty good and Mich. was not as good as many thought.

No pro game should ever win this category, the margin between the best and worse NFL team is slim (and the Superbowl wasn't between the best and worst).

Agreed.

I thought Stanford over USC was a snub, though.

ElonPride
July 17th, 2008, 09:16 AM

I also would've given it to Frenso. They were only 5 games over .500 going into the regionals and took everyone out. Truly and amazing run.

PaladinFan
July 17th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I don't really see Fresno State as that big of an upset. It was a bit unfortunate, but UGA was almost just as much of an underdog going into the World Series.

I-AA Fan
July 17th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Agreed.

I thought Stanford over USC was a snub, though.

I could not agree more. I think it was not nominated as it was not a nationally televised game.

I-AA Fan
July 17th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I don't really see Fresno State as that big of an upset. It was a bit unfortunate, but UGA was almost just as much of an underdog going into the World Series.

Not really, UGA won the regular season SEC. Fresno was lucky to make their conference tournament, and would not have even gone if they were in most any other conference. No shot at any at-large pick.

jonmac
July 17th, 2008, 09:34 AM
To me, baseball playoffs, with multiple game series, by nature, allow teams like Fresno State a chance to do great things. There have been many baseball teams that did not have great records and barely made it in the playoffs that have done well because it's not just one and done. Baseball is a whole different animal than any other sport, one player, the pitcher, can have a great affect on the game. App's victory over Michigan was a one shot deal, and the first time a FCS had ever beaten a ranked FBS, albeit a mostly meaningless preseason ranking. I do agree that FSU's championship was awesome and unexpected but not as much of an upset. Oh well, we can't agree on everything.

And as fas as it being a snub, when votes determine the winner of a superlative contest and the winner is not who I consider the most superlative then it is a snub(since my opinion matters so much,xwhistlex ). So maybe FSU and ASU were snubbed. But definitely not the horse. I definitely don't think ESPN snubbed, but the voters. Not that big a deal though.xpeacex

Appstate29
July 17th, 2008, 09:36 AM
agreed about ASU-Mich. ASU was prob a top 50 team last year, Mich a top 30 team, that happens with a bit of regularity. Fresno State would have my vote if I had an unbiased opinion.

ElonPride
July 17th, 2008, 09:58 AM
one player, the pitcher, can have a great affect on the game.

Kind of like someone blocking a FG.....a kicker missing an extra point etc:)

But a team like Frenso making the run is truly remarkable. All weekend pitchers used up and holding on by a thread.......their run was just flat out good coaching.

ASU's win is nice, but the way the cards ended up playing out for Michigan, wasn't the biggest upset of the year.

jonmac
July 17th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Kind of like someone blocking a FG.....a kicker missing an extra point etc:)

But a team like Frenso making the run is truly remarkable. All weekend pitchers used up and holding on by a thread.......their run was just flat out good coaching.

ASU's win is nice, but the way the cards ended up playing out for Michigan, wasn't the biggest upset of the year.

Good points all and we could argue about it ad nauseum(which, I guess we willxlolx ). We also have to remember that Fresno was playing in their division and all in all on a more level playing field with all of their competition. Seem to remember that being why most people didn't think the Stanford upset compared. And again, in tournaments, playoffs, etc. teams that don't win their conference and barely make it in win on a more regular basis than any FCS football team beating, though on a down year, one of the most storied programs in history. What Fresno did has happened before, what App did had not. And say what you will about Michigan, they looked pretty darn good against a pretty good group of Gators.

Skjellyfetti
July 17th, 2008, 10:25 AM

Michigan finished #18 in the AP poll and #19 in Coaches' poll. I don't get where you think they were MAYBE a top 50 team.

AppGrad06
July 17th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I don't have a problem with App not winning it (b/c well it's an ESPY and who honestly cares), but rather that the Giants won. I felt like they were the least deserving. First off the Giants almost beat (and should have beaten) the Patsies at the end of the regular season. Second, yea the Giants were a wild card bid but they made it to the Super Bowl thus proving they were one of the best teams, regardless of record, and win the two best teams play in a professional championship and both teams play their best, it ought to be a toss up.

IndianaAppMan
July 17th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Michigan finished #18 in the AP poll and #19 in Coaches' poll. I don't get where you think they were MAYBE a top 50 team.

That demonstrates yet another example of how subjective rankings are.

On the one hand, it's easy to dismiss the '07 Michigan team as mediocre when we look at their games not just vs. App, but also the 2007 Rose Bowl vs. USC, the Oregon game, the choke-artist Wisconsin game, and their losing streak vs. OSU.

On the other hand, Michigan also had widely-respected great college players including Chad Henne, Mike Hart, Mario Manningham, and #1 NFL draft pick Jake Long. They also stepped up big-time by destroying a Notre Dame team that, at the time, looked just as bad as they did, and they also beat a good teams like Penn State, Illinois, and the Heisman winner's Florida Gators, who were thisclose to beating the BCS champ. With a few adjustments, Michigan easily would have won the Big Ten and remained a national title contender.

By my estimation, I think their final ranking was justified; however, rankings can never be completely reliable because they attempt to quantify quality.

SoCon48
July 17th, 2008, 11:06 AM

And all the naysayers need to be a little more objective and consider what the App loss itself cost Michigan. Had Mich not lost to a little backwoods "D2" team, they would have certainly ranked higher...and were prior to the App game.

SoCon48
July 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I don't have a problem with App not winning it (b/c well it's an ESPY and who honestly cares), but rather that the Giants won. I felt like they were the least deserving. First off the Giants almost beat (and should have beaten) the Patsies at the end of the regular season. Second, yea the Giants were a wild card bid but they made it to the Super Bowl thus proving they were one of the best teams, regardless of record, and win the two best teams play in a professional championship and both teams play their best, it ought to be a toss up.

And just as importantly, :D We don't have to read endless posts about, well, App didn't really win it...so and so did and App is just purchasing a trophy duplicate, etc.xrulesx

Skjellyfetti
July 17th, 2008, 11:08 AM
That demonstrates yet another example of how subjective rankings are.

On the one hand, it's easy to dismiss the '07 Michigan team as mediocre when we look at their games not just vs. App, but also the 2007 Rose Bowl vs. USC, the Oregon game, the choke-artist Wisconsin game, and their losing streak vs. OSU.

On the other hand, Michigan also had widely-respected great college players including Chad Henne, Mike Hart, Mario Manningham, and #1 NFL draft pick Jake Long. They also stepped up big-time by destroying a Notre Dame team that, at the time, looked just as bad as they did, and they also beat a good teams like Penn State, Illinois, and the Heisman winner's Florida Gators, who were thisclose to beating the BCS champ. With a few adjustments, Michigan easily would have won the Big Ten and remained a national title contender.

By my estimation, I think their final ranking was justified; however, rankings can never be completely reliable because they attempt to quantify quality.

I know what you mean. I don't think the 2007 Rose Bowl or their losing streak to Ohio State (except their loss last year) should have any bearing on their ranking though. But, you're right... it's different points of view. They did finish about the same in the computer rankings fwiw.

I was just remembering AlexAlex and the like saying that it was the worst Michigan team in 20 years. xlolx They definetely didn't do as well as they would have liked... but were still a good football team.

SoCon48
July 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM

And all the naysayers need to be a little more objective and consider what the App loss itself cost Michigan. Had Mich not lost to a little backwoods "D2" team, they would have certainly ranked higher...and were prior to the App game.

TrueBlueHen
July 17th, 2008, 11:18 AM
ESPY Snub?? Wasn't it an open fan vote? Sounds more like APP State Nation didn't stuff the ballot box! xnonox

dukesfan74
July 17th, 2008, 11:44 AM
App State over Michigan was a BIG win. But in a way, by not winning, doesn't it imply that App State amd FCS football has closed the gap between FBS & FCS? If(or when) App State beats LSU will that be as big an upset? Or will it mean that this type of win have started to become expected?

ericsaid
July 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM

App actually finished 32 or something like that in all of college football last season ahead of South Florida and some others. They recieved five points in the last poll of the season.xthumbsupx

Which all in all would make their upset seem less impressive since UM finished in the top 20 somewhere?

Needless to say Fresno earned it. Maybe next year will be Apps turn for their upset over LSUxwhistlex

jonmac
July 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
ESPY Snub?? Wasn't it an open fan vote? Sounds more like APP State Nation didn't stuff the ballot box! xnonox

Please see earlier explanation. I did not mean ESPY(ESPN) snubbed us. The voters did. I'm sure "App State Nation", man that whole "our team Nation" cliche is getting old, voted plenty. I think it's more we didn't get help from those who didn't have a dog in the fight(another to oft used cliche, sorry), also not necessarily a snub, I guess. Sheesh, I guess I used the wrong word, bottom line is the winner, in my opinion, was not that great an upset.

Rekdiver
July 17th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Okay I'm glad we didn't win the thing. Its time to put this one in the archives and look forward. We've milked this (appropriately so) for long enough and now its time to face LSU and hope we don't get our brains beat out and everyone says "what a fluke". I will always remember the game and it will always rank as one of the best upsets ever, maybe behind the USA hockey victory over CCCP but ITS DONE!

If any of you have been on "Tiger Rant" these folks are ready to tear our heads off, even with the decent amount of respect shown. There is as much pressure on us now not to get blown out and hear how the FCS teams are all 2nd class.

No snub boys, we were invited to the dance and got our due.

gophoenix
July 17th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Um, we didn't win.

Oh, I was expecting the ESPN did something or said something during the ESPYs that snubbed App.

You guys didn't win. That sucks. But that isn't a snub.

DaBears
July 17th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I think it is a compliment to ASU that it didn't win the award

phillyAPP
July 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
No big deal.

I agree NBD( No Big Deal)

We Won !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everybody knows and History will remember.

Forget ESPN..... They have their own agenda.

phillyAPP
July 17th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Okay I'm glad we didn't win the thing. Its time to put this one in the archives and look forward. We've milked this (appropriately so) for long enough and now its time to face LSU and hope we don't get our brains beat out and everyone says "what a fluke". I will always remember the game and it will always rank as one of the best upsets ever, maybe behind the USA hockey victory over CCCP but ITS DONE!

If any of you have been on "Tiger Rant" these folks are ready to tear our heads off, even with the decent amount of respect shown. There is as much pressure on us now not to get blown out and hear how the FCS teams are all 2nd class.

No snub boys, we were invited to the dance and got our due.

The pressure is on LSU to BLOW us out !!!!

The fans will freak if we stay in this game !!!!!!!!!

I can't wait .

The Rant we be nuts in AUG. I am staying off of it til AUG .

ASU88
July 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Michigan ENDED UP well into the top 50. Lingering raised eyebrows over the upset is probably the only thing that kept them out of the top 25 at season's end. But considering their 8-4 record, their schedule and the whupping they put on Florida in their bowl game, I wouldn't say they "ended up as MAYBE in the top 50."

They may have STARTED there ... but they didn't end there.

Franks Tanks
July 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Duh-- you guys should be glad you didnt win. Claiming it was the biggest upset of the year implies that FBS is far and away superior to FCS--this isnt the case and it is good the media doesnt think it was bigger then Fresno ( and the whole $ arguement doesnt stick as college baseball is much less popular then college football)

Franks Tanks
July 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Michigan ENDED UP well into the top 50. Lingering raised eyebrows over the upset is probably the only thing that kept them out of the top 25 at season's end. But considering their 8-4 record, their schedule and the whupping they put on Florida in their bowl game, I wouldn't say they "ended up as MAYBE in the top 50."

They may have STARTED there ... but they didn't end there.

Michigan ended ranked 18 and 19 in the AP and USA

Skjellyfetti
July 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Lingering raised eyebrows over the upset is probably the only thing that kept them out of the top 25 at season's end.

They were in the top 25 at the end of the season... #18 and #19 in both major polls and #21 by Sagarin.

PaladinFan
July 17th, 2008, 02:24 PM
It's generally a good idea not to talk to LSU fans about anything. Unless you like headaches, of course.

Appguy
July 17th, 2008, 06:20 PM
It's generally a good idea not to talk to LSU fans about anything. Unless you like headaches, of course.

They agree with us that it was a snub

ursus arctos horribilis
July 17th, 2008, 06:58 PM
They agree with us that it was a snub

Well that certainly doesn't bode well for your case.

patssle
July 17th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Any idea when App vs Michigan will be on TV again? It was on the Big 10 network a couple weeks ago, but I was already watching something else. I've never really seen the game cept for the final play.

jonmac
July 17th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Rankings aside, they were supposed to beat us hands down. Sorry as I am to say it but any votes we got were just patronization. Not many sports writers think we or any FCS team can compete week in and week out with FBS teams and with scholarship differences I don't think we can either. I have also been giving this more thought. Don't know why I am so obsessed with getting my point across but my dad did used to say that I would argue with a light pole. You remember dad?(He reads this forum) But anyway, the category was "Best Upset". What Fresno did was most definitely the greatest accomplishment of the year. but they did, ever so slightly, earn their way into the playoffs. So, who did they upset, all the teams they played? If this is the case, and some of you may think so, then they were snubbed as well. I don't think this was the case. I agree that it was great coaching but I'm not convinced of the upset part. Even though I love the FCS and App dearly, even our top teams, for the time being, and maybe always, will be considered vast underdogs against the top 25 FBS teams. And when it was all said and done UM was top 25 in all the polls that matter, if any truly do. Now, having finished my rant, I think:), lets put Michigan in the back of our minds and go kick the cat and make me eat my words that Michigan even was an upset.xthumbsupx

APPALACHIANstate
July 17th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I think Fresno State was bigger than Appalachian over Michigan...

<--ASU student.

ASUMountaineer
July 17th, 2008, 08:16 PM
App State over Michigan was a BIG win. But in a way, by not winning, doesn't it imply that App State amd FCS football has closed the gap between FBS & FCS? If(or when) App State beats LSU will that be as big an upset? Or will it mean that this type of win have started to become expected?

I think it is a compliment to ASU that it didn't win the award

I agree, I wanted App to win for just that much more exposure, but honestly, I don't consider it a huge upset. I do think it's the biggest "upset" in college football history because of the scholarships, divisions, etc. But, outside of that, it really wasn't an upset. I was at the game, we truly should have won by two scores. We dominated the first half and played well enough the second half to win. I really didn't see a difference between the two teams--on that one day. xnodx

Oh, I was expecting the ESPN did something or said something during the ESPYs that snubbed App.

You guys didn't win. That sucks. But that isn't a snub.

We all know you hate App, but in this instance, I agree with you.

Hoyadestroya85
July 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM
It was absolutely the giants.. everyone said the patriots were unbeatable.. i wasn't shocked when App State beat Michigan.. I was more shocked when Stanford beat USC with a backup QB.. Appy would KILL Stanford

hapapp
July 17th, 2008, 09:26 PM
It was a great moment, one that will live a long history. However, it is time to move on. As August approaches its time look to the future and let the past be for memories.

Hoyadestroya85
July 17th, 2008, 09:48 PM
It was a great moment, one that will live a long history. However, it is time to move on. As August approaches its time look to the future and let the past be for memories.

exactly.. now it's time for you guys to focus on what happens in the LSU game

BBB
July 18th, 2008, 06:04 AM

Actually Fresno State was a ranked team going into the season had to deal with injuries but got alot of guys back near the tournament. I don't count that as an upset. Yeah it was huge based on where Fresno was seeded BUT if they didn't have those injuries and played up to their potential we're not having this conversation.

App State over Michigan was HUGE but let's face it, Pro Sports will always get MORE attention than college sports because folks all over the world watch the Super Bowl. More people in the WORLD will probably be able to tell u more about the Super Bowl then a FCS team upsetting a FBS team. I wanted ASU to win but is what it is.

Also the Giants not only beat a Patriot that was "unbeatable" they stopped a date with destiny for New England. That's a big story.

appfan2008
July 18th, 2008, 09:47 AM
no snub for me here... great honor to be included but everyone knows pro football is numero uno here in america so no snub to me...

BobcatJH
July 18th, 2008, 10:20 AM
The Giants win over the Patriots was a big upset. Maybe if the Giants played in the XFL it would have been more impressive than what the Mountaineers did.

Franks Tanks
July 18th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Actually Fresno State was a ranked team going into the season had to deal with injuries but got alot of guys back near the tournament. I don't count that as an upset. Yeah it was huge based on where Fresno was seeded BUT if they didn't have those injuries and played up to their potential we're not having this conversation.

App State over Michigan was HUGE but let's face it, Pro Sports will always get MORE attention than college sports because folks all over the world watch the Super Bowl. More people in the WORLD will probably be able to tell u more about the Super Bowl then a FCS team upsetting a FBS team. I wanted ASU to win but is what it is.

Also the Giants not only beat a Patriot that was "unbeatable" they stopped a date with destiny for New England. That's a big story.

Agree, plus the other upsets were for a championship--also makes them more significant overall IMO

biggie
July 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Agree, plus the other upsets were for a championship--also makes them more significant overall IMO
As an arguement ASU didn't win a championship with that game, but Michigan did lose one by losing the first game of the season.

To me NE looked beatable a few times, they didn't dominate towards the end of the regular season (Ravens/Giants). College Football can be as popular as NFL, but only locally. Nationally NFL will control attention.

Fresno St comes down to MLB is low on popularity and the todem pole as far as sports go, much less college baseball.

JMU DUUUKES
July 18th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Just look at the spreads ... I bet the Michigan game was like a -35 or -40. And the Superbowl was what like a -14 ??? Those are guesses but I'd bet it was similar to that.

Appaholic
July 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM

I'd say a bigger snub was the UGA basketball team......4 wins, 4 days to get to the NCAA's....two games on one day....in a competitve basketball conference.....not to be listed.....Giants over Patriots is such a cop out pick....shouldn't even be a finalist....

Appaholic
July 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I agree, I wanted App to win for just that much more exposure, but honestly, I don't consider it a huge upset. I do think it's the biggest "upset" in college football history because of the scholarships, divisions, etc. But, outside of that, it really wasn't an upset. I was at the game, we truly should have won by two scores. We dominated the first half and played well enough the second half to win. I really didn't see a difference between the two teams--on that one day. xnodx

Yep....take pride in the fact that we didn't win....maybe a sign that we are more respected on the national stage......at least that's the story I'm spinning...xrotatehx

Franks Tanks
July 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM
As an arguement ASU didn't win a championship with that game, but Michigan did lose one by losing the first game of the season.
To me NE looked beatable a few times, they didn't dominate towards the end of the regular season (Ravens/Giants). College Football can be as popular as NFL, but only locally. Nationally NFL will control attention.

Fresno St comes down to MLB is low on popularity and the todem pole as far as sports go, much less college baseball.

Thats a terrible arguement xlolx

biggie
July 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Thats a terrible arguement xlolx
And why's that? Just proving that it was a bigger/more important game than some believe.

Franks Tanks
July 18th, 2008, 12:23 PM
And why's that? Just proving that it was a bigger/more important game than some believe.

It was the first game of the year!! Michigan was a solid team but overated. The presure of actually competing in a game that decides a championship are immense as you know both teams are bringing their A game and everyone is watching. They werent playing for a title that day no matter what you say as winning the game wouldnt have resulted in a championship. That is the definition of a championship game.

biggie
July 18th, 2008, 12:26 PM
It was the first game of the year!! Michigan was a solid team but overated. The presure of actually competing in a game that decides a championship are immense as you know both teams are bringing their A game and everyone is watching. They werent playing for a title that day no matter what you say as winning the game wouldnt have resulted in a championship. That is the definition of a championship game.
But everyone knew as soon as Michigan lost they were without any hope of winning a title, even if they had went undefeated the rest of the year. The game that you play that can decide your season is championship for you, weather it be playoffs or a game to get into the playoffs, etc.

Granted I guess BS (aka BCS) is a little different since you have 1400 bowls you are playing to get in.

Franks Tanks
July 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM
But everyone knew as soon as Michigan lost they were without any hope of winning a title, even if they had went undefeated the rest of the year. The game that you play that can decide your season is championship for you, weather it be playoffs or a game to get into the playoffs, etc.

Granted I guess BS (aka BCS) is a little different since you have 1400 bowls you are playing to get in.

Using your logic every single game invloving FBS schools who may be unbeaten at the time is the equvilant of the championship game, sorry just doesnt compute. App over Michigan was a great game and win, but not the biggest story or upset of the year--sorry

biggie
July 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Using your logic every single game invloving FBS schools who may be unbeaten at the time is the equvilant of the championship game, sorry just doesnt compute.
If you are in the top 25 polls in BCS and undefeated then your team better treat every game as a championship game or they don't have a chance to actually get anywhere.

Franks Tanks
July 18th, 2008, 12:53 PM
If you are in the top 25 polls in BCS and undefeated then your team better treat every game as a championship game or they don't have a chance to actually get anywhere.

That may be true but it is not as significant as the championship game. Plus it was the first game of the year--everyteam is undefeated. Michigan also went on to lose several other times thus rendering each loss less significant.

gophoenix
July 18th, 2008, 02:14 PM

xlolx xrolleyesx

No one hates app. People just dislike a bunch of bandwagon fans like you who'll disappear once you have a season that isn't like the last three.

Skjellyfetti
July 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
xlolx xrolleyesx

No one hates app. People just dislike a bunch of bandwagon fans like you who'll disappear once you have a season that isn't like the last three.

If you look at his join date he was a fan before Appalachian won a championship. But he's a bandwagon fan? xconfusedx

SoCon48
July 18th, 2008, 04:20 PM
xlolx xrolleyesx

I dunno. We have had a good contingency of fans on here from the inception of this board.

Had a loyal following who attend home and away games for decades. Currently, our attendance is rising in part due to regional non alumni taking interest and the admin's efforts to get the on-campus and Boone students out in force and the issuance of more student passses.

You won't see much of a drop -off.

Just like Apps on an Elon game thread...nice to see Elon fans taking an interest.