PDA

View Full Version : Furman at Auburn 2009

PaladinFan
July 17th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Didn't see this posted anywhere else. Paladins will head to Jordan-Hare to take on the Tigers next season.

With VT, Auburn, and Florida all on the docket for the next couple years, looks like we are in for some fun.

Why can't SoCon schools schedule some patsy FBS teams? We keep getting Georgia, Auburn, Florida, GT, VT, LSU, Arkansas, Florida State.... jeepers.

furman94
July 17th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Ha, its all for the MONEY!

bluehenbillk
July 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Good for FU, that'd be a great venue to experience.

Freeport
July 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Stopped in to see if this had been posted already. This is a cool matchup. I look forward to AU hosting the Paladins!

ASU88
July 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Why can't SoCon schools schedule some patsy FBS teams? We keep getting Georgia, Auburn, Florida, GT, VT, LSU, Arkansas, Florida State.... jeepers.

ASU used to play Wake Forest quite a bit, but we beat them often enough that they ended the rivalry. Mind you, this was long before our recent run of success.

I was at the home opener for Auburn last year vs. Kansas State. It's a nice place for a game. No big, open parking lots or fields, just lots and lots of little spaces all over the campus. Had a great time, though.

PaladinFan
July 17th, 2008, 02:22 PM
ASU used to play Wake Forest quite a bit, but we beat them often enough that they ended the rivalry. Mind you, this was long before our recent run of success.

I was at the home opener for Auburn last year vs. Kansas State. It's a nice place for a game. No big, open parking lots or fields, just lots and lots of little spaces all over the campus. Had a great time, though.

I grew up watching Auburn football. My home is not but about a 30 min drive from the stadium.

My comment was only to say that it seems like the SoCon, for whatever reason, really likes to schedule the big boys. Just off my head...

App: Michigan, LSU
Furman: VT, Florida, Auburn, UNC, Clemson, Pitt (the year they went to the Fiesta Bowl)
Samford: Georgia Tech
UTC: Arkansas
The Cid: FSU, Wisconsin
Wofford: South Carolina
Elon: USF
GSU: UGA
WCU: UGA, Alabama

I realize there's a money issue (there always is). But whilst other conferences are playing Duke, Army, Central Michigan, and others we are loading up with the top talent in the land.

I suppose it's just a driving distance thing. Just generally better football schools in the Southeast.

note: not slamming on other teams schedules, but there does seem to be a gap.

furman94
July 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I noticed this too...

813Jag
July 17th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I grew up watching Auburn football. My home is not but about a 30 min drive from the stadium.

My comment was only to say that it seems like the SoCon, for whatever reason, really likes to schedule the big boys. Just off my head...

App: Michigan, LSU
Furman: VT, Florida, Auburn, UNC, Clemson, Pitt (the year they went to the Fiesta Bowl)
Samford: Georgia Tech
UTC: Arkansas
The Cid: FSU, Wisconsin
Wofford: South Carolina
Elon: USF
GSU: UGA
WCU: UGA, Alabama

I realize there's a money issue (there always is). But whilst other conferences are playing Duke, Army, Central Michigan, and others we are loading up with the top talent in the land.

I suppose it's just a driving distance thing. Just generally better football schools in the Southeast.

note: not slamming on other teams schedules, but there does seem to be a gap.
You guys should have beaten Pitt in that game. I saw Pitt play USF that year.

slostang
July 17th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Cal Poly has played San Jose State, San Diego State, New Mexico State, Idaho, Troy and Texas El Paso over the last five or six years. I think that the AD thought he would take a pay check (although smaller than playing an FBS/BCS game) against a school that we might be able to knock off. We beat San Diego State, New Mexico State and Texas El Paso.

This year they are starting the year with San Diego State and finishing it with Wisconsin (and their check for $500,000).

ButlerGSU
July 17th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere else. Paladins will head to Jordan-Hare to take on the Tigers next season.

With VT, Auburn, and Florida all on the docket for the next couple years, looks like we are in for some fun.

Geography - most of the power FBS teams are in the south...

ASUMountaineer
July 17th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Go Vermin! xnodx

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2008, 07:27 AM
You guys should have beaten Pitt in that game. I saw Pitt play USF that year.

Frustrating game. Outplayed them. Many Furman fans still feel like Pitt was throwing cheap shots around the entire time. Can't forget that we lost our All American safety and linebacker within the first, what, 5 or so plays of the game?

hawkeye
July 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM

UT Martin has South Florida first game then towards end of the season we play Auburn. We are homecoming for the Tigers.....I mean War Eagles. xsmiley_wix

appfan2008
July 21st, 2008, 08:29 AM
we almost knocked off auburn a few years back.... had a lead on them late...

IndianaAppMan
July 21st, 2008, 09:08 AM
Paladins will head to Jordan-Hare to take on the Tigers next season. With VT, Auburn, and Florida all on the docket for the next couple years, looks like we are in for some fun.
That's pretty interesting in relation to App State's money games. ASU played Auburn in '99, and they play Florida in 2010 and Va. Tech in 2011. Makes me speculate that the AD's at ASU and Furman may have similar negotiating styles to make them compatible with the same schools.

By the way, GO PALADINS in all those games. I remember in '98 or '99 when you guys knocked of UNC by like three touchdowns. I wish more of the same for ya!

Geography - most of the power FBS teams are in the south...

Here's another theory: The SoCon has garnered a good reputation over the past two-plus decades from its FBS counterparts. The "patsies" of the FBS, or at least teams that rarely crack the Top 25, are reluctant to schedule SoCon teams because they know they'd give them a good competition. On the other hand, FBS teams who win more consistently feel more confident in scheduling SoCon teams because they expect to blow them out.

Stewart Mandel of si.com talked about that. Back in February, he asked an unnamed athletic director at a BCS school about filling an empty spot on his schedule with a certain SoCon team. The AD balked at the idea, not because he didn't think his team would win but because he wanted his team to be able to treat it like pre-season; i.e., he wanted the starters to come out after the first half with a 4-TD lead. "Patsies" can't expect to treat SoCon games like pre-season; thus, SoCon teams generally play only Top 25 programs from FBS.

But again, that's just a theory...

wocorebel
July 21st, 2008, 10:26 AM
I just have to add that Wofford played West Virginia a few years ago and made them have to switch quarterbacks and running backs a lot because they couldn't get past our defense. That is when they learned that Pat White was really good. We put up some points on them so I was happy about that.

g-webb1994
July 21st, 2008, 10:44 AM
Classic radio of all time was listening to that no good homer Woody Durham crying like a bitch when FU whipped them 28-3 a few years back. Classic stuff indeed.:D