PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh Announces Three Coaching Changes

Lehigh Football Nation
July 15th, 2008, 02:47 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/

Personally, I couldn't be happier for coach Roberts, who has earned a well-deserved promotion to assistant coach. I think all these moves may pay dividends down the line (I hope).

The short-term benefits are that it bumped my "Patriot League Inferiority Complex" post to later in the week xlolx

ngineer
July 15th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Excellent news. Roberts has done a great job, and I'm sure this was done to keep him around. IMO, he's one that could be looking at 'bigger time' programs. The two new add-ons are unknown to me, though someone from Louisville certainly brings some experience that I believe was missing before. F&M College is a well respected program and school, and for Brisson to receive the recommendations noted, says alot. RJ Ryan having worked with the guy would certainly know whether he has what we need.
Excellent work LFN!xthumbsupx

bison137
July 15th, 2008, 07:02 PM
One clarification - Donnie Roberts was promoted to Assistant Head Coach, not Assistant Coach.

Lehigh74
July 15th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Promoting Roberts sounds like a good move, but I'm not quite sure how it will work in practice. Does it mean that Roberts is now the de facto defensive coordinator? If not and Kotulski is still in charge of the defense, will Roberts and Kotulski be able to continue to work together effectively?

Pard94
July 16th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Excellent news. Roberts has done a great job, and I'm sure this was done to keep him around. IMO, he's one that could be looking at 'bigger time' programs. The two new add-ons are unknown to me, though someone from Louisville certainly brings some experience that I believe was missing before. F&M College is a well respected program and school, and for Brisson to receive the recommendations noted, says alot. RJ Ryan having worked with the guy would certainly know whether he has what we need.
Excellent work LFN!xthumbsupx

I hope F&M's Head Coach, John Troxell (former Lafayette DB as well as Assistant Coach) didn't let Brisson go to Lehigh without a tremendous amount of b*llbusting!xsmiley_wix

Franks Tanks
July 16th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Promoting Roberts sounds like a good move, but I'm not quite sure how it will work in practice. Does it mean that Roberts is now the de facto defensive coordinator? If not and Kotulski is still in charge of the defense, will Roberts and Kotulski be able to continue to work together effectively?

Assistant HC is usually a more honorary title it appears. But overall I doubt anything will change with your defensive responsibilities, as Asst. HC are usually used more for strategic planning --i.e a trusted advisor the head coach can use to bounce off his ideas and decisions

Lehigh Football Nation
July 16th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Assistant HC is usually a more honorary title it appears. But overall I doubt anything will change with your defensive responsibilities, as Asst. HC are usually used more for strategic planning --i.e a trusted advisor the head coach can use to bounce off his ideas and decisions

Lafayette has that in Heffner, and I think that's worked out well for you. I think it's been high time Coen reshuffles the staff in a way to divvy up responsibility, and I think promoting Roberts can do that.

I see this as a way for Coen to concentrate on the offense, and have Roberts oversee the defense. I think assistant head coaches give the head guy more flexibility to go after areas that interest him/need addressing. Hopefully that's what happens here.

ngineer
July 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I see it more as taking some load off of Coen from an administrative standpoint. More responsibility regarding recruiting, overall accountability of other staff. Kotulski will remain the DC and always consulted in Roberts anyway. But this recognizes his overall role and contributions. Kotulski is 'getting up there' (he's about my age) and not necessarily the guy one would want as overall 'second in command'. I think he fits his defined role as the DC quite well.