PDA

View Full Version : In behalf of follow conference member ASU

GSU Eagle
October 17th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I will say they are being underranked. The SportsNetwork poll has them at #16 and the AGS poll has them at #12.

I voted them at #13 in my AGS poll and I am guilty of underranking them also. If I could go back and redo my poll this week I would rank them either #9 or #10. Next week I can fix it, provided they beat Wofford.

GSU Eagle
October 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Right now a 4-3 GSU does not belong in the top 25. We are #24 in the SportsNetwork poll.

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM
ahhh, he sees the light, haha, thanks bro

JALMOND
October 17th, 2005, 01:11 PM
I have made my opinion known on this as all of you know. It is truly aggrivating when Hampton and Coastal fans try to include their team as one of the best in the East this year when both would not even be close to the best in the SoCon, let alone the east.

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 01:13 PM
we are beating a dead horse, especially with the coastal fans

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I have made my opinion known on this as all of you know. It is truly aggrivating when Hampton and Coastal fans try to include their team as one of the best in the East this year when both would not even be close to the best in the SoCon, let alone the east.

How are Hampton or Coastal fans in control of the polls?

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 01:17 PM
How are Hampton or Coastal fans in control of the polls?

he wasn't talking about the polls, he was saying that you guys would be mediocre in the socon

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 01:19 PM
he wasn't talking about the polls, he was saying that you guys would be mediocre in the socon

But this thread is about where teams are in the polls. he then states that Hampton and Coastal fans try to include their teams as the best in the east. How does that relate to this thread?

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 01:22 PM
But this thread is about where teams are in the polls. he then states that Hampton and Coastal fans try to include their teams as the best in the east. How does that relate to this thread?

b/c in the end, the polls give a "relative" degree of who is better than who

obviously these pollsters don't take into account conference affiliation, which they should, b/c that would chage things alot

ASU Kep
October 17th, 2005, 01:28 PM
No kidding. CCU *is* a program on the rise, but no way they'd beat ASU, Furman, or GSU. They'd also lose at least one more to Wofford or WCU, IMHO. It annoys me to no end that a few polls have them ranked above us after the 30-3 whoopin' we applied up here. Our only loss to a I-AA opponent was literally at the last second against a team that many are considering a #1 team lately. IMO, Furman doesn't belong there yet, especially considering their extremely unimpressive victory over Cit, a team we destroyed, but hey, what can you do? I guess it only helps us...as long as they still lose in Statesboro...um...GATA EAGLES?!? I'm all over the place today. What exactly does GATA mean anyways? I could make something up, but I feel our hostilities are over 'til next year. :)

JALMOND
October 17th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Much like Harvard last year, if Coastal and Hampton both think they are so much better than the SoCon (and the A-10) try scheduling them. My guess is they don't want to because 11-0 and 10-1 is so much better than 8-3. If either were to play a full conference schedule in the SoCon or the A-10, we would not be having this discussion.

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Much like Harvard last year, if Coastal and Hampton both think they are so much better than the SoCon (and the A-10) try scheduling them. My guess is they don't want to because 11-0 and 10-1 is so much better than 8-3. If either were to play a full conference schedule in the SoCon or the A-10, we would not be having this discussion.

and Elon does not count as SoCon, we are talking real teams

Coastal89
October 17th, 2005, 01:32 PM
That's just pure conjecture and 1 persons opinion. The SoCon has 3 very good teams in Furman, GSU,and Appy and the rest are pretty mediocre. Hell even Chattanooga went to the wire with Liberty and they are tied for the lead in the SoCon right now.
Examine our strength of schedule, currently 11th in I-AA, and you'll see that we are beating some of the best. SAFB APPYGUY!

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 01:34 PM
That's just pure conjecture and 1 persons opinion. The SoCon has 3 very good teams in Furman, GSU,and Appy and the rest are pretty mediocre. Hell even Chattanooga went to the wire with Liberty and they are tied for the lead in the SoCon right now.
Examine our strength of schedule, currently 11th in I-AA, and you'll see that we are beating some of the best. SAFB APPYGUY!

you are right, 3 good teams and the rest are mediocre, all he was saying is that you guys would be in the mediocre category

Saint3333
October 17th, 2005, 01:35 PM
I'll examine it at the end of the season, CCU will not be in the top 25 SOS. 90% of the SoCon, Gateway, A-10, Southland, and Big Sky teams have tougher schedules.

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Who said anything about being better? You read way too much into stuff Almond. Also, what do you mean CCU doesn't want to schedule the SoCon or A-10? You need to do a bit of research. We played JMU who is in the A10. We played ASU and Elon from the SoCon. Next year we add Georgia Southern and Wofford. I have heard rumors that we are trying to get Furman on a future schedule as well. We have tried to get the other SoCon teams as well.

youwouldno
October 17th, 2005, 01:44 PM
App St. is certainly not getting its due... but wow, was it dumb to make their schedule so impossible.

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 01:46 PM
App St. is certainly not getting its due... but wow, was it dumb to make their schedule so impossible.

well, we all know the kansas and lsu games are money games, but the other stuff they can't control, socon is just tough

blueballs
October 17th, 2005, 01:46 PM
What exactly does GATA mean anyways? I could make something up, but I feel our hostilities are over 'til next year. :)

Get After Their Asses!!!!!!!!!!

JALMOND
October 17th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Obviously you are trying to improve your schedule and that is good. A good showing in the power conferences in the east and you can make that arguement of being included in the playoffs. The point here is consideration for ASU and possibly deserving of a higher ranking, and I've kind of twisted it around to include my ongoing arguement of ASU and Portland State being in the playoffs and teams like Coastal, Hampton and SC State not being in. You've got a good win against JMU this year. But what else? You don't play in a particularly strong conference, you admitted that. You need to upgrade your schedule, you admitted that you are doing that. Going back to the topic of this thread, why should teams like Coastal and Hampton be above ASU in the polls? Why should Coastal and Hampton be above Portland State? Hofstra? Lehigh? Because you got more wins than they do, with a weak schedule in a weak conference? C'mon...

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 02:02 PM
ASU is ahead of CCU in my poll. Hampton is ranked high because I think they are good.

Coastal89
October 17th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Obviously you are trying to improve your schedule and that is good. A good showing in the power conferences in the east and you can make that arguement of being included in the playoffs. The point here is consideration for ASU and possibly deserving of a higher ranking, and I've kind of twisted it around to include my ongoing arguement of ASU and Portland State being in the playoffs and teams like Coastal, Hampton and SC State not being in. You've got a good win against JMU this year. But what else? You don't play in a particularly strong conference, you admitted that. You need to upgrade your schedule, you admitted that you are doing that. Going back to the topic of this thread, why should teams like Coastal and Hampton be above ASU in the polls? Why should Coastal and Hampton be above Portland State? Hofstra? Lehigh? Because you got more wins than they do, with a weak schedule in a weak conference? C'mon...
You mean as opposed to Portlands 1 quality win over MSU? Or that quality win over Sac St? Give me a break your team has 1 win over a team with a winning record.
at Elon ( 3-4 ) 17-10
09/10/05 James Madison ( 4-2 ) 31-27
09/17/05 at Appalachian St ( 4-2 ) 3-30
09/24/05 Delaware St ( 4-3 ) 24- 6
10/01/05 at S Carolina St ( 5-1 ) 24-23
10/15/05 Gardner Webb ( 2-4 ) 34-31
Atleast we can boast about 3 wins over team above .500.

JALMOND
October 17th, 2005, 02:14 PM
OK, good point, Coastal, I'll give you that. 3 wins over teams with winning records. Delaware State and SC State are so much better than Sac St and N Colorado this year (well maybe N Colorado) but all that is pure conjecture and my opinion. Can't be backed up with facts.

asu70
October 17th, 2005, 02:18 PM
I will say they are being underranked. The SportsNetwork poll has them at #16 and the AGS poll has them at #12.

I voted them at #13 in my AGS poll and I am guilty of underranking them also. If I could go back and redo my poll this week I would rank them either #9 or #10. Next week I can fix it, provided they beat Wofford.
Without any disrespect to JMU or CCU, how could any pollster in any of the polls rank these 2 teams ahead of ASU? I know that pollsters are just giving there opinion, but don't you base your opinions on facts if you can. If you are a AGS pollster and voted JMU or CCU ahead of App, I would appreciate hearing your rationale. I know why you rated FU ahead of ASU because they beat us on the playing field and that's a fact!

youwouldno
October 17th, 2005, 02:20 PM
well, we all know the kansas and lsu games are money games, but the other stuff they can't control, socon is just tough

But no one is making App play those money games-- in particular playing 2 in one year. Furman plays none in 2005. Overall record matters and beating a solid I-AA team would be more useful to App in poll/playoff terms than losing to Kansas.

A Hampton or Coastal should have a very hard OOC schedule. But for a SoCon team going overboard is more likely to hurt than help.

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 02:23 PM
But no one is making App play those money games-- in particular playing 2 in one year. Furman plays none in 2005. Overall record matters and beating a solid I-AA team would be more useful to App in poll/playoff terms than losing to Kansas.

A Hampton or Coastal should have a very hard OOC schedule. But for a SoCon team going overboard is more likely to hurt than help.

i agree it makes it harder on us, but hey, what can you do, i actually thought that we had a chance against kansas but that was sad, as for lsu, we all know how thats gonna go

Coastal89
October 17th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Without any disrespect to JMU or CCU, how could any pollster in any of the polls rank these 2 teams ahead of ASU? I know that pollsters are just giving there opinion, but don't you base your opinions on facts if you can. If you are a AGS pollster and voted JMU or CCU ahead of App, I would appreciate hearing your rational. I know why you rated FU ahead of ASU because they beat us on the playing field and that's a fact!
Just to set the record straight, I had ASU at #8 and CCU at #13 on my ballot this week. I have no doubt that ASU is one solid team this year.

youwouldno
October 17th, 2005, 02:25 PM
But it's also having less home games.... that hurts.

Just not a good plan if you want to win a Championship, which I thought was the goal.

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Just to set the record straight, I had ASU at #8 and CCU at #13 on my ballot this week. I have no doubt that ASU is one solid team this year.

i have nothing against you or most of your fans, its the idiots that don't seem to understand the schedule argument or the conference difficulty that make me mad

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Just not a good plan if you want to win a Championship, which I thought was the goal.

well, KBS only holds 16,650, and thus far, both home games have been over 21,000, so i guess thats one upside of having only 4 home games

makes for an exciting atmosphere

appst89
October 17th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Neither having only four home games nor playing two 1-A's was originally part of ASU's plan. The Kansas game was a late addition to the schedule after NW St. bought out their return trip to Boone in order to play UL-M. After a lot of effort to find a replacement home game, and seeing that it just wasn't going to happen, they signed for the money game at Kansas. It certainly gave us a tough row to hoe, but making the playoffs with this schedule will say a lot about the character of this team.

asu70
October 17th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Just to let you know that if I had a vote, I would have CCU one spot ahead of JMU in my rankings because CCU has lost to just one very good 1AA team ASU, and JMU has lost to 2 good 1AA teams with one of those being CCU. I think JMU should be ranked but not in front of the afore mentioned teams.

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 07:09 PM

I think they could fight for 4th in the SoCon. Wofford, Chatt, WCU, and Citadel would give them tough games and it would be surprising if CCU could manage to beat all 4 of those. Elon giving them a H of a fight speaks volumes.

Appdad
October 18th, 2005, 09:34 AM

I like that!

That has to be an Erk, long lost son of General Patton, Russell quote!

Is it?

ASU Kep
October 18th, 2005, 11:48 AM
And hopefully will expedite the KBS expansion...for such a historically great team and fan base, we all have to admit KBS isn't quite adequate. So far this season, the 21,000+ for two games in a row is the first time we've done that since '92. Interest and attendence are growing...our stadium should too. But anyway, as long as we had confidence coming into this season that we wern't going to drop more than one I-AA game, why wouldn't we schedule a team like LSU? It's a boatload of money for our athletics dept. and as long as we have the type of season we've been having, its good all around. As for Kansas, we really could've won that game. It's not like beating mediocre I-A's is unchartered territory for ASU. Wake Forrest? I think we're like 4-1 against them. Probably wrong, but I know we've beatem em more than one. And don't tell me Kansas has one of the best defenses in I-A. It's not true.

GSU Eagle
October 18th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Yes it is one of the Erkisms. Man do we miss a motivator like he was.

ASU Kep
October 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Aha! Thanks for the help...

SoCon48
October 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM
we are beating a dead horse, especially with the coastal fans
:deadhorse :deadhorse You got that right.

SoCon48
October 18th, 2005, 01:18 PM
And hopefully will expedite the KBS expansion...for such a historically great team and fan base, we all have to admit KBS isn't quite adequate. So far this season, the 21,000+ for two games in a row is the first time we've done that since '92. Interest and attendence are growing...our stadium should too.

I agree, Kep. It makes no sense whatsoever that 4-7,000 fans have had to pay $20 a piece 10 or 15 times in about 20 years. If this was a very recent phenomenon, it would be different. :confused:

Appdad
October 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Yes it is one of the Erkisms. Man do we miss a motivator like he was.
No kidding!

The first time I saw Coach I was a freshman filing into Stegman Coliseum to play a basketball game vs Georgia for a December 1969 basketball game vs Georgia. We're just walking into the coliseum from the bus and we hear an outside door blast open and a loud dog bark and some crazy bald animal comes charging through and rams his head into the steel door of the locker room. Blood is dripping from the cuts and then his team rushes in WITH their helmets ON and he starts to head butt them. The junk-yard dawgs just finished a practice getting ready for a bowl game. I am thankful that the UGA basketball team was not as formidable as Coach Russell as we won. Seeing him hit that door and then head butt his playes is a memory I will never forget.

No wonder his defenses chased the ball!

To say he was a motivator is an UNDERSTATEMENT!

SoCon48
October 18th, 2005, 07:28 PM
No kidding!

The first time I saw Coach I was a freshman filing into Stegman Coliseum to play a basketball game vs Georgia for a December 1969 basketball game vs Georgia. We're just walking into the coliseum from the bus and we hear an outside door blast open and a loud dog bark and some crazy bald animal comes charging through and rams his head into the steel door of the locker room. Blood is dripping from the cuts and then his team rushes in WITH their helmets ON and he starts to head butt them. The junk-yard dawgs just finished a practice getting ready for a bowl game. I am thankful that the UGA basketball team was not as formidable as Coach Russell as we won. Seeing him hit that door and then head butt his playes is a memory I will never forget.

No wonder his defenses chased the ball!

To say he was a motivator is an UNDERSTATEMENT!

App had Mike (It Ain't) Working, a young coach who played Bull in the Ring with the players during half-time to get them fired up. Came out with his head all bloody.
Didn't work. Still lost. Evidently they were smart enough to wear their helmets. He wasn't.
He was 3 and out. 3 years. 13-18-2.