PDA

View Full Version : Penn-Yale Thread

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2005, 12:41 PM
The only 2-0 teams in Ivy play square off on Saturday at venerable Franklin Field. Something has to give! My personal pick is Penn, 24-17 (although I'd love to see the Eli pull off the upset).

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2005, 02:26 PM
I think this should be a very interesting game, especially with Brown and Harvard with one Ivy loss already. The winner will have the inside track for the Ivy title. I've been awfully impressed with Penn, having only lost to Villanova in a heartbreaker and having thrashed everyone else. But I saw Yale last week and their big "O" and "D" lines, so I know they're not easy to beat.

My nod right now would be to Penn, who looks like an Ivy title team this year, but it could be a real close game.

FightinBluHen51
October 17th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I think this should be a very interesting game, especially with Brown and Harvard with one Ivy loss already. The winner will have the inside track for the Ivy title. I've been awfully impressed with Penn, having only lost to Villanova in a heartbreaker and having thrashed everyone else. But I saw Yale last week and their big "O" and "D" lines, so I know they're not easy to beat.

My nod right now would be to Penn, who looks like an Ivy title team this year, but it could be a real close game.
Maybe I should travel up to Franklin Field and watch this game instead of the one in Newark this weekend. :eek:

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Maybe I should travel up to Franklin Field and watch this game instead of the one in Newark this weekend. :eek:

I might join you, FBH! The visitors' side of Franklin Field is much better, IMHO, because it's the sunny side. I'll proudly wear my Harvard cap in the midst of 5000 Yalies...

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2005, 03:39 PM
The only 2-0 teams in Ivy play square off on Saturday at venerable Franklin Field. Something has to give! My personal pick is Penn, 24-17 (although I'd love to see the Eli pull off the upset).

Put up or shutup time for Yale. Three losses this year and after each one I keep hearing that we were one or two plays away. Guess what? Good teams make those plays. A close loss is no longer good enough.

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Let's go, Yale! Derail the Slacker Quackers! Reclaim that Old Blue glory!

Omigawd, what am I saying?? :eek:

bulldog10jw
October 17th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Let's go, Yale! Derail the Slacker Quackers! Reclaim that Old Blue glory!

Omigawd, what am I saying?? :eek:

What you're saying is that you don't want to see the Yale-Harvard football rivalry become like Yale-Princeton. When I was a kid the Princeton game was every bit as big a game as Y-H. Then from '67 to '80 Yale won 14 straight. It has never been the same. While you never want to lose any game, as I look back on that streak now, from a historical perspective, it was bad for the rivalry.

either that or you have come to detest Penn more than us. :)

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2005, 04:11 PM
What you're saying is that you don't want to see the Yale-Harvard football rivalry become like Yale-Princeton. When I was a kid the Princeton game was every bit as big a game as Y-H. Then from '67 to '80 Yale won 14 straight. It has never been the same. While you never want to lose any game, as I look back on that streak now, from a historical perspective, it was bad for the rivalry.

Actually, Harvard has beaten Princeton 9 straight times, going into this weekend's contest in Cambridge. It's always been kind of a genteel rivalry. The Tigers get up more for Yale than they do for us.

Seriously, best of luck against Penn this weekend. I might well head up I-95 to take the game in. Penn fans are so obnoxious that I love to see them lose.

YaleFootballFan
October 17th, 2005, 08:59 PM
It's going to be tough to beat Penn, especially on the road. Yale's last win at Franklin Field was 15 years ago, which is the longest drought against any one opponent away from Yale Bowl.

Yale has rebounded well from its defeats this year, coming up with victories after each of its loses. I thought overall, Yale played well at Lehigh, despite blowing a 21-6 third quarter lead. They're going to have to step it up again against the Quakers. If Yale wants to be taken seriously as a contender for the Ivy title, they need to win at Penn this Saturday.

colgate13
October 17th, 2005, 09:38 PM
I think Penn is on a roll. Sorry Yale fans. I will root for you though since you have a presence on AGS. No Penn fans here. :(

ngineer
October 17th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Definitely rooting for the Eli, though I think Penn should be favored based on scores to date, in addition to home field. Moola-boola!

Ivytalk
October 18th, 2005, 08:26 AM
It's going to be tough to beat Penn, especially on the road. Yale's last win at Franklin Field was 15 years ago, which is the longest drought against any one opponent away from Yale Bowl.

When Harvard beat Penn at Franklin Field last year, it was the Crimson's first win down there since 1980. Streaks are made to be broken!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2005, 10:11 AM
My wife and I will be at the Yale/Penn game this weekend, covering the game for I-AA.org. Who's going to be at the game?

So sorry for Yale fans, but Penn looks to be awfully tough to beat. I do know that Yale fans should turn out in pretty good numbers for the game, even with a chance of rain.

My only experience of Penn football this year was to watch Penn play Villanova on TV, where Penn fans were throwing a lot of slices of white bread (toast?) onto the track. What was that all about? and will we see anything similar for Yale?

Ivytalk
October 20th, 2005, 10:17 AM
My wife and I will be at the Yale/Penn game this weekend, covering the game for I-AA.org. Who's going to be at the game?

So sorry for Yale fans, but Penn looks to be awfully tough to beat. I do know that Yale fans should turn out in pretty good numbers for the game, even with a chance of rain.

My only experience of Penn football this year was to watch Penn play Villanova on TV, where Penn fans were throwing a lot of slices of white bread (toast?) onto the track. What was that all about? and will we see anything similar for Yale?

The toast-tossing is a Penn tradition, geared to one of their fight songs. It's not just a petulant gesture!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks, I was wondering if it was one of the following:

1) a nod to The Rocky Horror Picture Show
2) a "toast" to most of the students at Villanova, many whom may suspisciously resemble what Penn was tossing!

Ivytalk
October 20th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I just found out I get to be at both! I love double-dipping I-AA!! :nod:

With Saturday's expected weather, Ralph, you may be "double-dripping"! :D

YaleFootballFan
October 20th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Yale usually brings down a strong contingent of fans down to Philadelphia. However, with the game being on TV and the forecast calling for rain, the number of fans making the trip from New Haven may be smaller than usual. It may very well be just the Yale Precision Marching Band and several hundred Eli fans sitting on the visitors side.

The throwing of Toast is a long time Penn tradition. Before the game, you'll see fans handing out Toast outside Franklin Field. The fans toss the Toast onto the field at the end of the third quarter when the Penn Band plays "Drink a High Ball for Penn." It's a pretty neat tradition they got there.

Ivytalk
October 20th, 2005, 03:06 PM
The fans toss the Toast onto the field at the end of the third quarter when the Penn Band plays "Drink a High Ball for Penn." It's a pretty neat tradition they got there.

That, and the post-game Penn ritual of "hump-the-goat"!

Cap'n Cat
October 20th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Penn, Yale. Those I-AA football-playing institutions?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ivytalk
October 20th, 2005, 04:06 PM
:confused:

At Dartmouth, the tradition involves sheep! ;)

ngineer
October 20th, 2005, 10:31 PM
They're baaaaaaaaaaaah to da bone! :D

Harvard Worship
October 20th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Yeah I really hope Yale wins this one. H-Y is always and will always be "the only game that matters", but it would be awesome if it mattered MORE this year. I'm tired of having the Ivy-Title game against an admits-morons-we-can't public school like Penn.
Also the only reason Penn can use their "toast zamboni" to clean up after the weird rites of their football fans is because they gave up Hockey since they were so abysmally awful at it. I want Penn back in the ECAC so we can all beat up on them again. Quinnipiac, or however you spell it, just isn't the same. Penn shouldn't be allowed to gloat about being so head-and-shoulders above the rest of the Ivies in sports until they bring back Hockey and raise their minimum admmitence SAT scores above whatever that miserable # is (1200?). Also who cares if you're good at basketball. Real men play sports where you have to wear armor.
Never thought I'd say this, but Go Yale!

charliej
October 20th, 2005, 11:09 PM
I just found out I get to be at both! I love double-dipping I-AA!! :nod:

Gee Ralph, Going from UD to Penn you run right by Nova. You could make it a threesome. :p

colgate13
October 21st, 2005, 07:16 AM
I'm tired of having the Ivy-Title game against an admits-morons-we-can't public school like Penn...raise their minimum admmitence SAT scores above whatever that miserable # is (1200?).
Ah, how quaint! A Harvard fan putting down another Ivy League school's academics! No need to realize that Penn is probably a better school than 99.9% of the rest of the world. Always need to say you're one better. That makes me:

http://s95072802.onlinehome.us/colin/puke.jpg

Double digit billion dollar endowments seem to go to some people's head. :rolleyes:

Lehigh Football Nation
October 21st, 2005, 01:21 PM
Any Penn or Yale discussion boards I can hit up for my I-AA diary piece? I think there's an active Ivy League message board, but I forget where it is...

bulldog10jw
October 21st, 2005, 01:37 PM
Any Penn or Yale discussion boards I can hit up for my I-AA diary piece? I think there's an active Ivy League message board, but I forget where it is...

http://www.voy.com/152805/

Ivy message board

One post says that Yale's best defensive player, Brandon Dyches, is out for the year. I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere though.

Ivytalk
October 21st, 2005, 03:10 PM
http://www.voy.com/152805/

Ivy message board

One post says that Yale's best defensive player, Brandon Dyches, is out for the year. I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere though.

Was he hurt in the Lehigh game? His Dad is on my "buddy list" at home.

ngineer
October 21st, 2005, 08:44 PM

I don't recall any Eli having to leave the game on any longterm basis. Maybe occured in practice?

bulldog10jw
October 21st, 2005, 10:05 PM

The Yale Daily News mentions a back injury, but not how or when it happened.

Sam Adams
October 22nd, 2005, 05:34 AM

Stage diving at Toads. ;)

YaleFootballFan
October 22nd, 2005, 07:31 AM

From today's New Haven Register:

Yale will be without senior defensive end Brandon Dyches, who stayed in New Haven with a back injury.

Contrary to published reports, Dyches is not expected to miss the remainder of the season and could return in two weeks.

Junior Stan Malyszka, who returned last week, freshman Kyle Hawari, sophomore Stephen Schmalhofer and junior Chris Wright, who returned this week, will rotate on the defensive line. Junior Brandon Etheridge, who has battled back problems over the entire season, also could see time.

Dyches, an all-league prospect who leads Yale with five sacks and seven tackles for losses, was inadvertently struck in the back by a teammate on the first play of overtime in last week’s 28-21 loss at Lehigh.

The rest of the article can be found here: Yale, Penn clash for Ivy supremacy (http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15433699&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=7592&rfi=6)

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 02:39 PM
Game just kicked off. Looks like the stands are pretty empty.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 02:44 PM
typical Yale. They stop Penn on 3rd down at midfield, then allow punter to run for a first down. 3rd time this year.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 02:47 PM
0-0. Missed Penn FG
Looks like it's very wet in Philly.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Penn 4th and goal on the 1 foot line. They already seem to be dominating the line of scrimmage so it seems like a no doubter.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 03:02 PM
Like I said. TD Penn and no one touched him.

Drive was helped by a Yale Personal Foul for a late hit.

7-0 Penn

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 03:07 PM
2nd straight 3 and out for Yale. Total yardage so far

Penn 95

Yale -1

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 03:11 PM
Penn 14-0.

Yale looks like a no show today.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 03:14 PM
Yale runs kickoff back to the fifty but....oops, Holding. Instead they start at the 16.

Yale now with -9 total offense.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 03:23 PM
21-0 Penn. Yale is not even putting up a tiny bit of resistance. Maybe this is finally the game that will ensure that Yale has a new coach next year.

Replay on Penn's last TD showed the runner fumbled before he got into the endzone but, does it really matter.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
Yale fakes a punt of 4th and 2 and runs for the 1st down but....oops. Penalty on Yale. They end up punting.

Yale now with -13 total offense.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 03:48 PM
Penn driving at the Yale 30 and throws a perfect pass ... to YALE but oops...the defender drops it.

Of course, they go on to score 28-0 Penn

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 04:06 PM
Fittingly the first half ends with Yale's QB being sacked. I'm not sure if they managed to get positive yardage for the half or not.

It's a beautiful day here in AZ. I should be out on my motorcycle. What the hell is wrong with me suffering through a blowout like this.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 04:32 PM
Yale's punter was hurt on the last play of the 1st half. The backup booms a 20 yarder. Penn ball at the Yale 35.

31-0 now

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 04:44 PM
Yale has given up. Penn is gaining big yardage on every play.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 04:51 PM
38-0 Penn. Possibly (probably) the worst performance by Yale I've seen, and there have been bad ones that last few years including last years Harvard game. I'd like to think Penn is this good, but I'm afraid Yale is this bad. They are stuggling just to get first downs.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 04:57 PM
Forgot to mention that Penn has been doing all this with their backup QB. The starter was injured early in the game. Made no difference.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Yale finally scores. I'm sure it was against Penn's 2nd and 3rd stringers. Yale had 19 yards of total offense after 3 quarters. They doubled that on one play during that drive.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 05:15 PM
38-14. Yale is great against Penn's 3rd stringers.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 05:20 PM
How can a team allow two first downs on runs by the PUNTER in one game. Yale did.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 05:30 PM
I know Yale is not going to come back in this game but, if you score a TD to make the score 38-20, don't you go for 2. It's now 38-21, so they would need 3 scores. Go for 2 and you can get within 16. 2 TD's and 2 two pointers.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 05:39 PM
38-21 final.

YaleFootballFan
October 22nd, 2005, 06:15 PM
Very, very sad day for the Yale community. Dick Galiette, the play-by-play voice of Yale Football for 36 years, passed away last night. Coach Cozza announced it during the pre-game show. I'm not sure what the cause of death was, but in today's paper it said Mr. Galiette would not be in the booth due to illness.

I did not know Mr. Galiette personally, but I did enjoy listening to him on the radio. He will be missed. :(

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Very, very sad day for the Yale community. Dick Galiette, the play-by-play voice of Yale Football for 36 years, passed away last night. Coach Cozza announced it during the pre-game show. I'm not sure what the cause of death was, but in today's paper it said Mr. Galiette would not be in the booth due to illness.

I did not know Mr. Galiette personally, but I did enjoy listening to him on the radio. He will be missed. :(

This is a sad day. The hell with the game. I grew up listening to Yale football on the radio with Dick Galiette. He was also the sports director on channel 8 for years and in the '60's and '70's, when Yale was still a factor in football he did a Sunday morning show called "Yale Football Highlights" with Carm and many Yale players. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the restaurant he had for a time in New Haven. He will be greatly missed.

YaleFootballFan
October 22nd, 2005, 08:49 PM
I'm surprised there's nothing about Mr. Galiette's passing on the Yale Athletics website.

There is something on the WTNH-8 website, and I'd image there will be an article or two in tomorrow's Register.

bulldog10jw
October 22nd, 2005, 11:59 PM
I'm surprised there's nothing about Mr. Galiette's passing on the Yale Athletics website.

There is something on the WTNH-8 website, and I'd image there will be an article or two in tomorrow's Register.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CT_OBIT_GALIETTE_CTOL-?SITE=CTNHR&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

bulldog10jw
October 23rd, 2005, 06:54 AM
From today's New Haven Register:

http://www.nhregister.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15436276&BRD=1281&PAG=461&dept_id=7592&rfi=6

And The Hartford Courant:

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-galiette1023.artoct23,0,4465906.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports-college

R.I.P. Dick

YaleFootballFan
October 23rd, 2005, 11:23 AM
I'm sure there will be something planned like a moment of silence prior to the next home game (November 5th vs. Brown). I'd like to see Yale rename the Yale Bowl press box or the radio booth inside the press box in honor of Mr. Galiette. I think that would be a very nice and fitting tribute to the legendary voice of Yale Football.

Wow, in only a matter of a few weeks, we lost two New Haven radio legends.....Mr. Ron Rohmer (legendary voice of the New Haven Nighthawks and WELI/WAVZ) and Mr. Dick Galiette. RIP. :(

bulldog10jw
October 23rd, 2005, 09:31 PM

They put it on the site Sunday night.

http://yalebulldogs.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102305aac.html

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Here's a link to my I-AA.org diary on the Penn/Yale game:

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=73580

And although Yale posters might want to skip these pictures, here's some pics of the game:

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/2057/img399715ca.jpg

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/4880/img400013vn.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
October 24th, 2005, 09:17 AM
More pics. There are more in my I-AA diary as well:

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/1954/img401413qp.jpg

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/1667/img401615ke.jpg

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/3453/img403214ag.jpg

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/1905/img403310jp.jpg

Husky Alum
October 24th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Man, I feel crummy, both Ron Rohmer AND Dick Galliette in a couple of weeks?

Jeez, what else could happen to New Haven.

Like the other Yale posters, I grew up in New Haven and would listen to both Dick and Ron on the radio, I vividly remember listening to Galliette's call of a Dartmouth game in the mid to late 1970s that wond up in a tie.

The Sunday morning recap show was a special treat and a break from Charles Kuralt and the Sunday morning news shows.

I was lucky enough to meet both of these men on several occasions as my father is in the media in New Haven, and they were both classy individuals.

As a child I remember going to Galliette's restaurant in New Haven (for some reason I think it may have been at or near the Coliseum) and having my dad introduce me to him.

Rohmer was also a hockey star for the old New Haven Blades in the ECHL (the league memorialized in "Slap Shot"), and was quite the controversial DJ in New Haven.

Next time I'm in town, I'm going to have to go to Richters and hoist a half yard in their memory.