PDA

View Full Version : More FCS "love" from the Charleston P&C

Lehigh Football Nation
July 12th, 2008, 09:00 AM
xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/jul/12/korn_could_get_look_vs_bulldogs47309/

CLEMSON — The most compelling thing about Clemson playing host to South Carolina State might be the over-under.

No, not the combined point total.

We're talking about the time of the game fans get their first glimpse of Willy Korn trotting onto the field.

The Bulldogs weren't embarrassed last season in their two meetings with Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly I-A) teams, but they didn't exactly shine either.

They opened at Air Force and fell behind 24-0 in the first half before losing 34-3.

Two weeks later at South Carolina, the Bulldogs played better and were down just 17-3 at halftime. They ended up losing 38-3.

Ford had a nice day on the ground that day, rushing for 117 yards on 17 carries against the Gamecocks. He might have a tougher time achieving that output in Death Valley.

Clemson improves to 4-0 with ease and prepares for a return to ACC play.

Prediction

Clemson 40, S.C. State 6

COLUMBIA — South Carolina fans might have been a little heartbroken about the Georgia loss, but, c'mon, who were you kidding about an undefeated season?

What better way to shake it off than against a Division I-AA opponent? OK, fine, Football Championship Subdivision opponent.

But it's not as if Wofford is some slouch the Gamecocks will blow past. If you don't think so, just consider the game two years ago at Williams-Brice.

USC got out to a 24-10 lead, but had to have a fourth-down stand in the final seconds to keep the Terriers from a game-tying score.

So, yikes. Pretty sure that wouldn't have gone over well as Steve Spurrier tried to bolster the program's profile.

South Carolina is astutely aware of the 2006 game. But that doesn't mean it won't struggle, on some levels, with Wofford.

The Terriers are annually for real. Just ask three-time I-AA (FCS) champ Appalachian State. Wofford handed the Mountaineers their first loss last year — something Michigan couldn't do. Heck, USC sure didn't win nine games last year.

But, unlike two years ago, the Terriers aren't proven at the offensive skill positions. Breaking guys in against an SEC team doesn't typically work out well.

It won't in Game 4.

Prediction

South Carolina 37, Wofford 14

Go get 'em SC State and Wofford. xthumbsupx

catamount man
July 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM
With games against NC State, Vanderbilt, and Georgia, ole Spurrier could be staring at an 0-3 start. If Ayers and company were to THEN pull the shocker, SOS would drown himself in Lake Murray, the Cock faithful would start putting bags over the heads, and Eric Hyman would pull out a short list of new coaches.

Same old, same old in Columbia. Should've kept Brad Scott. xthumbsupx

griz8791
July 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Might as well assign the same basic story they are all using to a keyboard macro. They could use ALT + A and remember it with the phrase, "this sportswriter is an A$$wipe."

chantster
July 13th, 2008, 08:06 AM
With games against NC State, Vanderbilt, and Georgia, ole Spurrier could be staring at an 0-3 start. If Ayers and company were to THEN pull the shocker, SOS would drown himself in Lake Murray, the Cock faithful would start putting bags over the heads, and Eric Hyman would pull out a short list of new coaches.

Same old, same old in Columbia. Should've kept Brad Scott. xthumbsupx

Brad Scott?? xlolx xlolx xlolx

My 'Cocks will be fine this year. xthumbsupx

They will be 3-0 or 2-1 heading into Woffy game.

813Jag
July 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM

xlolx xlolx Any word on QB Stephan Garcia? Is he still at USC? I know he had some problems last year. My best friend used to play there during the Lou Holtz days.

TheValleyRaider
July 13th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Actually, the breakdown of the SC-Wofford game looks pretty reasonable to me. The Terriers' score may seem a bit low, especially since it'll be interesting if the Cocks can adequately slow down the Wingbone, but otherwise, it'll probably go like that...

chantster
July 13th, 2008, 02:48 PM
xlolx xlolx Any word on QB Stephan Garcia? Is he still at USC? I know he had some problems last year. My best friend used to play there during the Lou Holtz days.

Clear case of a gifted,talented, immature athlete that leaves home for the first time and doesn't know how to act in public. After his third altercation, he was kicked off the team, the school, and sent packing.

Supposedly, he has his priorities in order. He is allowed to come back in August. But, has to meet with the AD and SOS for approval.

Personally, I could care less about Garcia. He has a long ways to go before earning any respect from his teammates and ticket holders.

813Jag
July 13th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Clear case of a gifted,talented, immature athlete that leaves home for the first time and doesn't know how to act in public. After his third altercation, he was kicked off the team, the school, and sent packing.

Supposedly, he has his priorities in order. He is allowed to come back in August. But, has to meet with the AD and SOS for approval.

Personally, I could care less about Garcia. He has a long ways to go before earning any respect from his teammates and ticket holders.
The feeling was the same down here. I'm sure he'll be hanging around Tampa. He was truly spoiled in high school, he didn't know how to act in his hometown. The way he carried himself, made his actions in Columbia no real surprise. xnonono2x

Lehigh Football Nation
July 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I hope USC and Clemson don't play each other - after all, according to all the South Carolina rags, they're both meeting for the FBS crystal ball in January.. xrolleyesx

http://www.upstatetoday.com/news/2008/jul/15/tigers-should-stay-undefeated-after-sc-state/

Though it was great for S.C. State at the last second to come on board the Tigers’ schedule after Louisiana Tech dropped off, it shouldn’t make for much of a game. Clemson is clearly more talented, stronger, bigger and more athletic than the Bulldogs. Granted S.C. State isn’t coming to Clemson to just collect on what should be a big payday for their small program, but playing a Clemson team that should be well into the top 10 and receiving national championship talk by this time means this game will more than likely be decided by halftime.

Prediction

Clemson 49, S.C. State 7

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Why play the game?

xlolx xlolx xlolx

jaxstatealum
July 15th, 2008, 09:00 AM

2-1; they won't beat UGA ;)

Lehigh Football Nation
July 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM
More xlolx xlolx xlolx

http://www.upstatetoday.com/news/2008/jul/15/south-carolina-will-put-down-terriers/

The Gamecocks will be coming off their first loss of the season against Georgia after wins over N.C. State and Vanderbilt, and should have a much easier time against the Terriers.

But despite what is a lopsided matchup in the Gamecocks’ favor on paper, this same pairing in 2006 came close to garnering some national headlines, as Wofford nearly escaped Columbia with a win in a 27-20 South Carolina victory.

However, a lot has changed since those days, and even though Wofford finished No. 6 in the final FCS rankings, the Gamecocks should be able to just show up, strap on the pads and thump the Terriers with relative ease this time around.

Nobody really talks about these lopsided matchups unless something extraordinary happens, as these games are supposed to be nothing more than throw-away, tune-up games for the bigger schools.

Sure, South Carolina can’t fall asleep and expect to beat the Terriers, but it will be expected to put up some big numbers and send the fans home happy in a game where a loss would be inexplicably devastating.

There may be some anxiousness around Williams-Brice Stadium in the opening quarter as the memories of the game two years ago could come flooding back, when Wofford nearly pulled the big upset. But don’t expect the Terriers to pull out an effort like their conference mates at Appalachian State did last year at Michigan, in one of the most memorable upsets in college football history.

Expect this one not to garner much talk as the season chugs along.

Prediction

South Carolina 41, Wofford 14

What is it? The water? There can't be this many dopey sportswriters in South Carolina, can there be?

Why has so much "changed" from last year to this year?

Bud2003
July 15th, 2008, 04:54 PM
2-1; they won't beat UGA ;)

That's exactly what folks said last year...and they went TO Athens and beat UGA.

...when are folks gonna learn?

g-webb1994
July 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM
The grave mistake that SC made was not hiring Dick Sheridan to replace Joe Morrison, especially after Sheridan took his boys into W-B and beat them 28-23, with the score not actually being that close.