PDA

View Full Version : Playoff teams with 4+ losses

thirdgendin
October 16th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Ok guys, help me out here. I seem to remember Idaho (and maybe a few other teams) making the playoffs as an at-large with four or more regular season losses. Can anyone confirm this?

galojay
October 16th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I don't recall anyone ever getting an at-large bid with four losses.

Mr. C
October 17th, 2005, 07:09 AM
The last four-loss team to receive an at-large bid was Appalachian State in 1992, a year when the Mountaineers dropped their first two games of the season to I-As North Carolina State and Wake Forest (by three points). ASU's other losses were to highly ranked teams from Furman and The Citadel.

By the way, I don't see the playoff committee taking a four-loss team, no matter how they have changed the rules. There will be too many teams with two or three losses to choose from and you will see someone like Coastal Carolina, or South Carolina State get in ahead of a 7-4 team.

89Hen
October 17th, 2005, 08:29 AM
I don't see the playoff committee taking a four-loss team, no matter how they have changed the rules. There will be too many teams with two or three losses to choose from
Agreed. :nod:

galojay
October 17th, 2005, 08:32 AM
I agree Mr. C. I don't think we are short on good teams to make the playoffs. You'll see four from one conference before you'll see a four-loss team get in. I think the Gateway could definitely get four in. WKU, SIU, UNI, and YSU are all still in the hunt.

bluehenbillk
October 17th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I don't think you'll see a 4-loss team in the final 16, nor do any normally deserve to be there. However, you could make a case for AppState getting in with 2 D-1 losses.

Anovafan
October 17th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Colgate got in with 4 losses one year.

JALMOND
October 17th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Both App State and Portland State could make a good case for getting ahead of Coastal and the second MEAC team, even with four losses. Both App State and PSU have two I-A losses and could have two I-AA losses. Both play in tough conferences so their strength of schedule is strong (much more so than the MEAC or Big South). I think both could give anyone a tough game the first round, more so than the second place MEAC team.

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I don't know - I could see the committee standing by their guidelines. Kind of a 'you made your bed now lay in it' in regards to scheduling 2 I-A teams.

JALMOND
October 17th, 2005, 01:23 PM
The fact that Coastal did not play any I-A teams this year. Losses to Oregon State and Boise State don't mean anything more than wins over Newberry and Wingate? A squeaker over Montana State does not mean more than a squeaker over G-Webb?

This year the guidelines for the committee is seven I-AA wins, not four losses. Based on this it is not difficult to see App St and PSU getting in over Coastal.

Your situation this year is not much different than Cal Poly last year. Impressive record but who have you played (and that is what could keep you out this year).

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 01:26 PM
The fact that Coastal did not play any I-A teams this year. Losses to Oregon State and Boise State don't mean anything more than wins over Newberry and Wingate? A squeaker over Montana State does not mean more than a squeaker over G-Webb?

This year the guidelines for the committee is seven I-AA wins, not four losses. Based on this it is not difficult to see App St and PSU getting in over Coastal.

Your situation this year is not much different than Cal Poly last year. Impressive record but who have you played (and that is what could keep you out this year).

Who played Newberry and Wingate?

We have played and beaten 2 top 25 teams. We played one top 25 team and lost. You are right - the rest of the schedule is pretty week and may keep us out - but so could scheduling 2 I-As for you guys, it is all relative.

Tod
October 17th, 2005, 01:27 PM
I don't think you'll see a 4-loss team in the final 16, nor do any normally deserve to be there. However, you could make a case for AppState getting in with 2 D-1 losses.

D-I? Watch out, Ralph will get you!

:D :D :D

Tod
October 17th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Colgate got in with 4 losses one year.

Were they the autobid? That is the difference. :)

JALMOND
October 17th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Is the glass half empty or half full? Do you schedule to get seven wins or do you avoid scheduling to avoid four losses?

Trust me, a good showing (albeit a possible loss) to BCS member Clemson or South Carolina (hypothetically), would bolster a blowout win over Charleston Southern (or at least it should).

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Is the glass half empty or half full? Do you schedule to get seven wins or do you avoid scheduling to avoid four losses?

Trust me, a good showing (albeit a possible loss) to BCS member Clemson or South Carolina (hypothetically), would bolster a blowout win over Charleston Southern (or at least it should).

I agree. I-A teams can't count games against CCU yet for bowl consideration - I think the first year is 2007.

I have no problem with people scheduling I-As. My concern is when you schedule multiple I-As for the $$$ and then get upset that you may not get a shot at the playoffs with 4 losses.

All of this is pure speculation anyway - this all could be moot depending on what happens each saturday.

JALMOND
October 17th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Our game with Boise was for the money. Our game with Oregon State came around when Wisconsin backed out of playing OSU at the last minute. We have a verbal agreement with both OSU and Oregon to play them if the circumstances warrant. Our administration feels it is better for the state and on a national level to play the Beavers and Ducks instead of DII Western Washington, whom we did have scheduled. Any money we might have made from OSU went towards WWU for getting us out of that game.

REALBird
October 17th, 2005, 02:38 PM
While I find it hard to believe there will be any teams with 4 losses in the playoffs this year, I would make a case for Illinois State (but I'm biased).

Losses @ Iowa State (11 pts), but tied midway thru 3rd Quarter.
A 3 pt. loss vs. then #3 and current #1 Western Kentucky in OT.
A 3 pt. loss vs. current #15 Youngstown St. on the road.
A blowout victory over recent #1 Southern Illinois on the road (61-35), and trust me 14 of those points scored by SIU came WELL after the game was decided, I believe the last 9 minutes of the 4th quarter. This game was over after the kickoff people!

We still have games remaining home games against #13 Northern Iowa, Western Illinois, and Indiana State. With one road contest at Missouri State in 3 weeks.

It's possible the Birds could be 8-3 if they win out, but I'm thinking 7-4 might be more realistic. Whether the strength of our schedule is enough to change the minds of the voters......I don't know!

Lehigh Lover
October 17th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Colgate got in at 7-4 because they won the PL automatic bid. I think that may have been 1999, cuz they beat Lehigh to make Lehigh 10-1 but LU got an at-large bid. Someone help me out.

DuckDuckGriz
October 17th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I seem to remember Montana State getting in with atleast 4 losses back to back years. Anyone want to back me up on this? Sorry in advance if I'm wrong.

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I agree. I-A teams can't count games against CCU yet for bowl consideration - I think the first year is 2007.

I have no problem with people scheduling I-As. My concern is when you schedule multiple I-As for the $$$ and then get upset that you may not get a shot at the playoffs with 4 losses.

All of this is pure speculation anyway - this all could be moot depending on what happens each saturday.

App did not SCHEDULE two I-A's. They scheduled 10 I-AA's and had an open date to fill. I-AA NorthWestern State had been scheduled as part of a home and home..contracted 3 years ago. North Western State backed out and paid in May or early June. The interim AD could not find another I-AA with spot open in their schedule. Thus Kansas came up. The same difficulty came up in finding an opponent for the Nov date. Thus LSU was found.
Thus 2 I-A's were added. And since Kansas and LSU were "afraid" :D :rolleyes: to come to Boone, ASU had 7 road and 4 roadies.
The fans would have raised pure mortal hell and kept their ticket money in their pockets if App would have signed two D-II's.

hawkineer
October 17th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Colgate got in at 7-4 because they won the PL automatic bid. I think that may have been 1999, cuz they beat Lehigh to make Lehigh 10-1 but LU got an at-large bid. Someone help me out.
It was 1997, the first year of the autobid for the P.L.. I think that they played Villanova in the 1st round. The '99 team was the Venna team. I think their only loss that year was to Bucknell. Hence, the co-championship in '99 with LU, but CU got the autobid due to head-to-head.

colgate13
October 17th, 2005, 09:24 PM
It was 1997, the first year of the autobid for the P.L.. I think that they played Villanova in the 1st round. The '99 team was the Venna team. I think their only loss that year was to Bucknell. Hence, the co-championship in '99 with LU, but CU got the autobid due to head-to-head.

Both 97 and 99 were Vena teams (as was 1998 too). He was a four year starter. Best QB in Colgate history.

Colgate got in with four losses with the autobid.

ngineer
October 17th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I think you're right.

BelgradeBobcat
October 17th, 2005, 11:45 PM
I seem to remember Montana State getting in with atleast 4 losses back to back years. Anyone want to back me up on this? Sorry in advance if I'm wrong.

Both were autobids 5-2 in league and won the tie-breakers-and I think we had 5 losses at least one of those years (12 game schedule).

JohnStOnge
October 18th, 2005, 06:55 AM
In 1995 Idaho got an at large bid with only 6 wins. The Vandals finished the regular season at 6-4.

appst89
October 18th, 2005, 07:33 AM
In 1995 Idaho got an at large bid with only 6 wins. The Vandals finished the regular season at 6-4.

John,
I was just getting ready to post about that. I thought I remembered Idaho being 6-5, but it must have been 6-4. I believe they were drilled 33-3 by McNeese in the 1st round?

89Hen
October 18th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Both were autobids 5-2 in league and won the tie-breakers-and I think we had 5 losses at least one of those years (12 game schedule).
7-5 both years, finished 7-6.