PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices And Football Attendance?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 9th, 2008, 04:41 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=football-decision-to-go-or-not-to-go&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Last fall, Reginald Bowens had plenty happening. Between an impending marriage and the good fortunes of the football team of his and his fiancee’s alma mater, Jackson State, there were plenty of reasons to make the 200-mile drive from his Memphis home to Jackson.

“This year, it’ll probably be two road trips,” Bowens said. “Just because of not really gas prices, but everything else around gas has went up, with food going up and that type of stuff.”

Therein lies a question athletic department administrators around the state are asking themselves: Will the recent economic downturn and spike in gas prices affect just how wide fans open their wallets to support their favorite schools, especially when football season starts late next month?

Interesting article - and one that talks to all FCS fans, not just Jackson State fans. Will high gas prices keep you from attending any number of games this year?

ASUMountaineer
July 9th, 2008, 04:43 PM
No. With my new job I can take public transportation, that will save me quite a bit of bank.

Ronbo
July 9th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I usually attend 3 away games a year and this year I'll be just attending home games.:(

furman94
July 9th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I will go to all home games, Wofford, App and or Elon.

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2008, 06:13 PM
My current job takes away trips around the Southland for football purposes. May see the SLC in basketball and baseball mode, but that's about it.

Crossing my fingers that a SHSU-SLU trip is in store for 2009!

aust42
July 9th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I have no wife or kids so I can afford to attend as many games as I choose. However this years tailgate and travel expenses will certainly be more expensive compared to years past due to gas and food prices. Besides the Delaware home games I live within a two hour radius of five schools in the CAA, and an hour 1/2 from Navy and Maryland. I usually catch two away games a year. This year it will be MD and JMU.

Ronbo
July 9th, 2008, 06:32 PM
For Griz fans the situation is dire except for the EWU game which has such a small stadium we will get very few tickets.

Cal Poly is 1746 miles round trip
Weber State 806 miles round trip
Eastern Washington 346 miles round trip
Northern Colorado 1288 miles round trip
Portland State 852 miles round trip

GOKATS
July 9th, 2008, 07:02 PM
For Griz fans the situation is dire except for the EWU game which has such a small stadium we will get very few tickets.

Cal Poly is 1746 miles round trip
Weber State 806 miles round trip
Eastern Washington 346 miles round trip
Northern Colorado 1288 miles round trip
Portland State 852 miles round trip

Piece of cake.:D

For Cats fans:

Kansas St.- 2236 miles round trip
Minnesota- 1962 miles round trip
Idaho St.- 412 miles round trip
Sad. St.- 1912 miles round trip
Northern Ariz.- 1874 miles round trip
MT- 400 miles round trip

About an additional 3750 miles.xnodx xsmiley_wix

MR. CHICKEN
July 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM
EIGHT MILES.......FROM DELAWARE STADIUM.........ONLY NEED TA BOGART............ONE GAS CAN.........FROM SOME TURKEY'S SHED........BRAWK/OBAMA!!

appsfan
July 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Gas prices won't stop me either. I have only 127 miles one way to KBS. However, Mr. Chicken, if you bogart an extra can of gas keep me in mind. ;)

HiHiYikas
July 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I'll be cutting back, what with the 315-mile one-way trip to KBS. Fortunately, ASU plays at JMU, a mere 135-mile trek from Richmond to Harrisonburg.

Plus, our son arrives sometime between ASU-Elon and ASU-WCU. If ASU makes the playoffs, I'm not sure I'll be able to go to any of the games.

I might actually make the 2-mile trip out to City Stadium this season and take in a U of Richmond game. I'll consider it a kind of outreach, to share the joys of Boone tailgating with my UR and JMU friends.

TonkaBison
July 9th, 2008, 08:08 PM
For me it's a 500 mile round trip to Fargo from Minneapolis for every home game since Punky Brewster at the UofM won't play us anymore. I decided the Jeep was not going to cut it and bought a Hyundai last Spring. I laugh every time I drive past the gas pump!

At least this year we are in the MVFC so I can spend less time in the car driving to Northern Iowa!

Thundar
July 9th, 2008, 08:08 PM
10 miles from the Dome!!

Seawolf97
July 9th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I plan to make all 6 home games and maybe the road game at Iona. I suspect most Stonybrook live within 30 miles or less of the school and its all highway driving-I dont see much impact.

ngineer
July 9th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Only a 10 mile drive for me to Goodman. However I go to most away games, but usually ride along with the South Side Boosters..A great reason to join up and let the driving to them.

Hammerhead
July 9th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I'm planning to drive 1,500 miles to attend one Bison game this year. I haven't seen them in person since moving to Oregon 12 years ago.

We'll be doing other stuff like visiting family and driving another 250 miles to watch the Vikings and Lions in the Metrodump.

blackfordpu
July 9th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I usually only go to home games but I try to make it to at least one road game. If it gets too bad I will just try to car pool with some local Katfans.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 9th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I'll be at all of Lehigh's home games, about 76 miles from my house to Goodman. As for the away games i'll have to see excluding Lafayette. There's no Colgate, Fordham or Bucknell which are close so it'll depend. I'd like to go to Villanova and Princeton perhaps. 'Nova is an easy drive down the turnpike and Princeton isn't too bad either but they are back-2-back so i might have to pick one. Holy Cross, Harvard, and Georgetown are hauls and unless the Hawks are undefeated or have 1 loss heading into those games i doubt i'd make a trip. It stinks they only have 5 home games this year.

ericsaid
July 10th, 2008, 12:50 AM
30 mile drive to App. But straight up from 1500 or so feet to 3333 feet. Needless to say driving up 2000 feet in 16 miles really sucks gas.

McTailGator
July 10th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I'll be making the 420 mile round trip from Houston to Lake Charles for EVERY McNeese home game AND the pre-season scrimage too.

I already have my trips booked to Chapel Hill, NC, Brookings, ND, and of course all the Southland Venues as well.

I will NOT miss a game, or a single tailgate party.

Now I might just have to run my Generator just a little less. (:

AppStsGr8
July 10th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Miss games because of gas prices? Not likely. We're even planning on driving to LSU. Eat peanut butter sandwiches all week so we can have a killer tailgate? Now, that's more likely.

Tealblood
July 10th, 2008, 07:31 AM
only 15 miles to home games for me---keeping my wife excited about tailgating before games is what can keep me away

biggie
July 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Car pooling is key. Will be driving to LSU game and then to every home game.

Cobblestone
July 10th, 2008, 07:46 AM
None for me. That's one advantage to living in the smallest state in the country. Plus there is never a traffic jam for our games.

813Jag
July 10th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Since any Southern game is a road game to me, all trips would be expensive. So I'll be at 4 or 5 games this season. Any game near Baton Rouge I have free lodging. xlolx

hawkeye
July 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Good friend of mine has a plane. He also buys gas for his plane. He has money to burn and likes to get the flying time...........so.........I will be flying from Jackson, MS to small air field just out of Martin, TN. Everybody needs a rich friend!!

ngineer
July 10th, 2008, 08:10 PM
30 mile drive to App. But straight up from 1500 or so feet to 3333 feet. Needless to say driving up 2000 feet in 16 miles really sucks gas.

Yes, but just sit back and enjoy the coast back home..:D

The Cats
July 10th, 2008, 08:14 PM
3 hours to Cullowhee..... will make the home games..... but, will pass on some of the away ones....

GOKATS
July 10th, 2008, 09:53 PM

That's not exactly 'straight up'. 2000 feet in sixteen miles is less than a 2 1/2 % grade, no biggie. Granted the elevation gain could be in a shorter stretch (never been there), but 30 miles round trip what's it going to amount to? In my SUV, maybe a quarter to half gallon.

brownbear
July 10th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Brown Band - free travel to all away games!

SoCon48
July 11th, 2008, 04:42 AM
1. I'm just planning on driving my second car...the rice burner...pushes 35 to 40 mpg.. instead of my more comfortable vehicle.

2. Reserving a standard room rather than a suite.

3. Cutting back on the expensive restaurants down to one pricey meal on the road. KFC , Bojangles, and BK work just fine when you must for all other meals. Nice BBQ sandwich at the game. When we lose, appetite isn't so great anyway.

Good to go.

AppAlum2003
July 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM
1. I'm just planning on driving my second car...the rice burner...pushes 35 to 40 mpg.. instead of my more comfortable vehicle.

2. Reserving a standard room rather than a suite.

3. Cutting back on the expensive restaurants down to one pricey meal on the road. KFC , Bojangles, and BK work just fine when you must for all other meals. Nice BBQ sandwich at the game. When we lose, appetite isn't so great anyway.

Good to go.

xrolleyesx If that's the case, I hope you gain 10 pounds this football season! :D