PDA

View Full Version : GSU Signee Green To Go JuCo First

Lehigh Football Nation
July 9th, 2008, 08:47 AM
http://savannahnow.com/node/527786

Running back Franklin Green's Georgia Southern debut is going to have to wait a couple of years.

Before he can play football as an Eagle in Statesboro, the recent Jenkins High School graduate's football career will have to go through Georgia Military College in Milledgeville.

After failing to qualify to meet NCAA Division I eligibility requirements, according to GMC coach Bert Williams, Green will go the junior college route in hopes of raising his grades while playing for the Bulldogs.

He was announced as a signee on signing day. That opens another incoming scholarship for the Eagles...

Eaglesrus
July 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM
We just hope that he gets what he needs to do academically done and still ends up an Eagle. He was definitely a special player in high school.

ASUTed
July 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I am shocked by this. GSU can't grease them all through.

Eaglesrus
July 9th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Huh, how did I miss that this is the smack thread; oh, now I see that it's not. In that case, I guess it's just a reading comprehension problem on your part.

blueballs
July 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Guess not... fret not my hillbilly friend, GSU will still have plenty of running backs both in their incoming class and on the field come August.

Remember this name... Zeke Rozier.

citdog
July 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Guess not... fret not my hillbilly friend, GSU will still have plenty of running backs both in their incoming class and on the field come August.

Remember this name... Zeke Rozier.

i look for that name on the "deans list"xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xrotatehx xrotatehx

gsuwinsudont
July 9th, 2008, 08:34 PM
i look for that name on the "deans list"xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Based on your grammar proudly displayed above i doubt your name will be found on any citadel dean's list.

Appstate29
July 9th, 2008, 10:26 PM
this is SURPRISING. "Record" class from GSU already dissolving.

APPALACHIANstate
July 9th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Based on your grammar proudly displayed above i doubt your name will be found on any citadel dean's list.

http://forge.evula.net/forums/grammar_nazi.jpg

Eaglesrus
July 10th, 2008, 07:26 AM
this is SURPRISING. "Record" class from GSU already dissolving.

xlolx xlolx xlolx You hear about one of the 32 guys who committed to us on signing day having to go to JC and translate that as the class falling apart. Fact is that at least 27 of the 32 are on campus now, 3 are going to JC (and we knew that would be the case when they committed) and I'm not sure of the status on the other 2. It's really going to be fun to watch when you guys get knocked off your collective high horse (no pun intended for you Furman folks)!

AppAlum2003
July 10th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Now GSU only has 35 6-star recruits in this incoming class.... sad, really.

WCU LawCat
July 10th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Who are the other 4 not on the roster right now?

Eaglesrus
July 10th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Who are the other 4 not on the roster right now?

One of our coaches recently spoke at a luncheon that I attended and said that he knew of 27 being on campus. he didn't list names. The three going the JUCO route are Franklin Green, rb from Savannah, and I believe Victor Daniels, db from Waycross, GA, and David Arnold, rb from Valdosta, GA. I hesitated to name those last two, as I might be remembering them incorrectly, but the same coach said that it was known when we received commitments that at least two of the signees, and probably a third (being Green), would have to go that route.

Laserlips
July 10th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Now GSU only has 35 6-star recruits in this incoming class.... sad, really.

Yep..

But I can't feel too badly about it.. I still can't get the smile off my face from remembering our poor old rebuilding, cobbled-up GSU Eagles last season whipping big , bad APP STATE at your house.... :D
Priceless.....

Jesse

813Jag
July 10th, 2008, 10:46 AM
GSU fans, do you have any idea of what position Marc Thomas will play? I know he played LB/RB in high school. I'm thinking he may be better as a safety.

AppIAA
July 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
but the same coach said that it was known when we received commitments that at least two of the signees, and probably a third (being Green), would have to go that route.

So it was known that these athletes were poor high school students and were not going to be elligible, but were still recruited? Speaks wonders to the quality of the STUDENT athletes at GSU.

Yep..

But I can't feel too badly about it.. I still can't get the smile off my face from remembering our poor old rebuilding, cobbled-up GSU Eagles last season whipping big , bad APP STATE at your house.... :D
Priceless.....

And we can't get the smile off our face remembering when we were on the field at Chattanooga holding another trophy and the Eagles were all sitting on their couches watching the game.

:D Pricelss.....

introvertedGSUfan
July 10th, 2008, 11:27 AM
So it was known that these athletes were poor high school students and were not going to be elligible, but were still recruited? Speaks wonders to the quality of the STUDENT athletes at GSU.

This isn't a foreign concept. Many many colleges recruit students who will attend a JuCo for two years in hopes that they can raise their grades and become eligible to play for a university. I've no clue as to why you need to give us grief when I'm sure App State has done the same exact thing in the past.xrolleyesx

Eaglesrus
July 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM
And we can't get the smile off our face remembering when we were on the field at Chattanooga holding another trophy and the Eagles were all sitting on their couches watching the game.

:D Pricelss.....

Man, the depths of your jealousy is really sad; just won the national championship and all that you can think of is us?

Eaglesrus
July 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM
So it was known that these athletes were poor high school students and were not going to be elligible, but were still recruited? Speaks wonders to the quality of the STUDENT athletes at GSU......

This is one of the dumber things (okay, maybe it's the dumbest) I've read on this board. As if GSU is the only school that has ever done this. Do you live under that rock that ASU is on?

Eaglesrus
July 10th, 2008, 12:20 PM
GSU fans, do you have any idea of what position Marc Thomas will play? I know he played LB/RB in high school. I'm thinking he may be better as a safety.

All that I've heard him mentioned as is a linebacker, but no, I don't know for a fact. I suspect that he'll be redshirted this year, in any case. We do have a history of converting guys to safeties from other positions, though. In fact, both of the guys that I think will start there this year are examples of that.

813Jag
July 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM
All that I've heard him mentioned as is a linebacker, but no, I don't know for a fact. I suspect that he'll be redshirted this year, in any case. We do have a history of converting guys to safeties from other positions, though. In fact, both of the guys that I think will start there this year are examples of that.
I think with his size he'd be a good safety. Redshirting may be a good idea. Any word on Ponton?

blueballs
July 10th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Ponton had a strong spring and will be in the RB rotation, he'll get plenty of playing time if his performance in spring is any indication.

Rozier was well on his way to subplanting Mike Hamilton and possibly taking the starting job away from Lamar Lewis last year prior to his injury. Big, strong, fast, and great instincts, he'll be the main man as long as he's healthy. He received a medical redshirt so he has four years left. He'll be a star and all conference multiple times before he leaves if he stays healthy.

Marc Thomas reminds me of many GSU stars of the past... great HS players who were winners but considered too short, too light, tweeners, or didn't fit the "mold" of what the FBS schools were looking for.

They came to GSU, many as walkons, redshirted, got in the system and succeeded. One of these days we'll start a thread and list the all-americans from GSU who were walkons. The number is in excess of two dozen and some of them are all-time greats in the division and have multiple rings.

Marc will be a fine player but probably after redshirting as GSU has upper classmen all over the depth chart at LB and safety.

Eaglesrus
July 10th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I think with his size he'd be a good safety. Redshirting may be a good idea. Any word on Ponton?

Word so far is very positive and that he will be expected to carry a good bit of the load this year, though it will probably be a different year for us with more throwing than running. Our biggest concern, offensively, is considered to be the line; we're just hoping that the coaches can cobble one together and that when they do whoever it is will stay healthy.

813Jag
July 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I'll be following the Eagles closely this season. xthumbsupx

AppIAA
July 10th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Man, the depths of your jealousy is really sad; just won the national championship and all that you can think of is us?

I guess you think of the minor, irrelevant things when the same thing seems to happen over and over..xsmiley_wix

soweagle
July 10th, 2008, 01:50 PM
How soon this App fan forgets the prop 48's of the past playing for the mountaineers. Don't forget that Moore used to get a lot of players from GMC and Middle GA (both juco's). I think the running back Beard came from one of these schools.

Eaglesrus
July 10th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I guess you think of the minor, irrelevant things when the same thing seems to happen over and over..xsmiley_wix

xcoffeex