PDA

View Full Version : Twenty Four

Saint3333
October 16th, 2005, 06:32 PM
This year is shaping up to become a good argument to expand the playoffs.

Especially since 2 of the at-large bids might go to conferences without an auto-bid, Cal Poly and CCU (I still think some things need to happen, either JMU or SC State make the playoffs).

I could name 3 teams from the A-10, SoCon, Gateway, Big Sky, and maybe the Southland that could win some playoff games. There's only 4-5 open spots for these 9-10 teams.

TxSt02
October 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM
I am somewhat new to the site here...

How would a 24 team playoff be configured? I know they do it at the DII and DIII levels.

Byes for 4 or 8 teams? Sorry I dont want to think to hard this sunday...

Cincy App
October 16th, 2005, 07:01 PM
4 weeks of playoffs is enough. Stay at 16 teams.

Saint3333
October 16th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Byes for the top 8 teams.

MR. CHICKEN
October 16th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Byes for the top 8 teams.

AN' BYE BYES....TA 8 O' DUH REMAININ' 16!........:p:D:p........BRAWK!

89Hen
October 16th, 2005, 08:10 PM
This year is shaping up to become a good argument to expand the playoffs.
I think this year is a good reason to shrink the playoffs. So many non-deserving teams will be in! :p

AppGuy04
October 16th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I think this year is a good reason to shrink the playoffs. So many non-deserving teams will be in! :p

I would tend to agree

ngineer
October 16th, 2005, 09:34 PM

With everyone beating everyone, how do you determine what 'deserving' is?

89Hen
October 16th, 2005, 09:44 PM
With everyone beating everyone, how do you determine what 'deserving' is?
Just saying there won't be any teams that have a real gripe IMO. There will be a slew of three+ loss teams that won't have a leg to stand on when complaining about not getting a bid.

youwouldno
October 16th, 2005, 09:56 PM
I'm strongly against expansion. It just reduces the overall quality of games and adds another week. Not a good idea.

ThreadStopper
October 17th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Stay with 16 teams. Just make sure they all deserve to be there. Get rid of the automatic bids and let the best play the best!

blur2005
October 17th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Stay with 16 teams. Just make sure they all deserve to be there. Get rid of the automatic bids and let the best play the best!
Get rid of the OVC, at least this year...most year's they're fine. Anyway, bigger is definitely not always better, so let's stay at 16.

Saint3333
October 17th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Ralph you're a bright guy, I'm sure if you reread the post and add some numbers up you'll figure it out.

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 08:01 AM
I think they will seriously discuss expanding after this year. Not only do you have conferences putting opressure on the NCAA to expand, but you will also have many teams that are used to making it to the post season not this year due to 'parity'. When there are only 10-20 'good' teams it isn't very hard to choose the field - but when you likely will have 30+ teams with about the same records / resume then it makes it hard to narrow it down to 16.

We have already seen it on AGS too - people complaining about if CCU is fortunate enough to win out that they will make the playoffs over more deserving teams. Any team that may get left out when they feel they deserved to be in will be very vocal about the selection process and this is what will cause the playoffs to expand.

89Hen
October 17th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Any team that may get left out when they feel they deserved to be in will be very vocal about the selection process and this is what will cause the playoffs to expand.
And you think going to 24 will stop the complaining of the first couple teams left out? You could expand to 64 and the 65th team will complain.

89Hen
October 17th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Get rid of the OVC, at least this year...most year's they're fine. Anyway, bigger is definitely not always better, so let's stay at 16.
That's pretty harsh, but this year's OVC performance isn't anything different than the last ten years. Last OVC playoff win... Murray State in 1996.

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 08:35 AM
And you think going to 24 will stop the complaining of the first couple teams left out? You could expand to 64 and the 65th team will complain.

No - people will complain no matter what. I also don't think that just because someone is unhappy that they should get their way but when you have people with similar resumes it is difficult to justify one over the other. The ones that don't get picked will have a legitimate argument and that will ultimately be the reason the playoffs expand.

You have these 'new kids' making noise and 'taking' bids from other conferences. The Great West is probably the best example. CCU is another that is threatening. The MEAC is making a serious case for 2 teams this year. I'm sure there are other examples as well. The established conferences will feel like they have lost spots that have normally belonged to them, right or wrong.

89Hen
October 17th, 2005, 08:51 AM
when you have people with similar resumes it is difficult to justify one over the other.
And again, that's not going to change by expanding the playoffs. No matter where you set the line, there will be people with similar resumes that you're going to have to make decisions on.

I'd be for expansion if the number of I-AA teams were increasing. It's not. They are new conferences, but the total number of teams hasn't really changed in years thanks to schools moving to I-A or dropping football. IMO the problem with the playoffs right now is that you have conferences with too few members. My suggestion, which I'm sure a lot of people would hate, is for the NCAA to raise the minimum number for an auto bid to 8.

Big South - 5
Great West - 6
Patriot - 7
Southland - 7
Gateway - 8
Big Sky - 8
Southern - 8

dbackjon
October 17th, 2005, 09:16 AM
My suggestion, which I'm sure a lot of people would hate, is for the NCAA to raise the minimum number for an auto bid to 8.

Big South - 5
Great West - 6
Patriot - 7
Southland - 7
Gateway - 8
Big Sky - 8
Southern - 8

I like that suggestion - or at least 7 members for an auto-bid.

Big Sky will be at 9 next year (with Northern Colorado coming on board), but that drops the Great West to 5.

Southland is going to 8, once Central Arkansas completes it's transition period.

Gateway could be at seven soon, if WKU goes I-A.