PDA

View Full Version : Why don't the SWAC, Ivy, and Pioneer conferences participate in the playoffs???

SIUallDay
July 8th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I was wondering why, who wants to tell me why?

brownbear
July 8th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Short answer -

Ivy and SWAC don't want to be in it*

Pioneer wants in, but isn't let in

*Does not represent my personal viewpoint (I think everyone should be in the playoffs), but rather that of the Ivy ADs and Presidents

Lionsrking
July 9th, 2008, 12:05 AM

I'm sure you'll get a zillion responses from SWAC fans, and they can tell you better than I, but in a nutshell, they can make more money by holding "classics" and having a conference championship game at the end of the year than they can sending a team to the playoffs. Southern and Grambling will never move the Bayou Classic away from Thanksgiving weekend, plus the conference championship is after that.

Syntax Error
July 9th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I was wondering why, who wants to tell me why?Short and correct answer...

SWAC obligates it's championship game participants to forego the playoffs. They have had multiple invites in the past yet no playoff wins.

Ivy League obligates all of it's teams to skip the playoffs.

PFL is wide open for invites but has never gotten one (like the NEC, the only two FCS conferences to never get a playoff bid and perenially listed at the bottom of power rankings).

bonarae
July 9th, 2008, 02:38 AM

To add to the other replies...

SWAC ended up hosting their own championship games after they were very futile in the playoffs over the years. MEAC used to play them in those games (IIRC) until they decided to enter the playoff pool.

The Ivies' presidents really pulled the schools out of the playoffs way back in 1956 for academic reasons (note: they play fewer games in other sports for the same reason) as well as to protest against the rapid commercialization of football at that time.

The Pioneer league I believe is eligible but hasn't received an invite.

813Jag
July 9th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Basically, the previous responses are correct with a couple of corrections.

1. The SWAC and MEAC played in the Heritage Bowl. The SWAC champ (unless it was Southern or Grambling) went to the playoffs. Usually the MEAC sent it's second or third place team.

2. The SWAC technically is still elgible for the playoffs. The third place team has an outside shot, depending on their resume. Alabama A&M was considered before a late season loss to PVU.

3. The SWAC Championship game was created not because of our playoff record, but because the administration at that time thought it was a good idea to have it after we added UAPB (1998) and AAMU (1999).

4. Before the Championship game only Southern, Grambling and Alabama St were inelgible.

DetroitFlyer
July 9th, 2008, 07:20 AM
The PFL does not offer athletic scholarships so no playoff bid! This is the real answer!! The benefactor? How about the very powerful OVC that does offer athletic scholarships and got two teams in last year. Automatic bid AND an at large.... By the way, when was the last time the "powerful" OVC won a playoff game?

The NEC will receive an autobid in 2010. Just by sheer chance, the NEC will be up to 40 scholarships by 2013.... You pays your money, and yous get your bid.

Suffice it to say that FCS is EVERY BIT as corrupt as FBS. Sad really....

danefan
July 9th, 2008, 08:28 AM
SWAC sends their top two teams to a conference championship game because that game makes the league a ton of money. It occurs the same week as the first round of playoffs. The remaining SWAC teams are eligible for the playoffs, but its unlikely that a 3rd place team from the SWAC has the credentials to be an at-large.

Ivy doesn't participate in playoffs for so-called academic reasons.

Pioneer is eligible and would love to receive an at-large. They haven't been selected for an at large mainly because of a weak strength of schedule. Some recent teams were arguably better squads than some at-larges selected, but the PFL team was hindered by playing a lot of sub-DI games and having some very weak teams in conference.

UAalum72
July 9th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Except that the PFL has never actually ASKED for a playoff autobid.

I think the NEC was helped by the Big South also becoming eligible for an autobid in 2010, giving the NCAA a choice of expanding the playoff field, denying a new full-scholarship conference an autobid, or (fat chance) taking one away from one of the existing conferences whose current teams haven't won a game this century.

89Hen
July 9th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Why don't the SWAC, Ivy, and Pioneer conferences participate in the playoffs???
Money, hypocrisy and weak scheduling respectively.

DetroitFlyer
July 9th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Money, hypocrisy and weak scheduling respectively.

Yep, good thing that Dayton scheduled that cupcake PL team and won on their home field. I seem to recall that that team went on to win the PL and earn the PL's AQ to the playoffs....

Oh wait, your argument has so much more merit if we look at the "powerful" schedule that the OVC played....xrolleyesx

DetroitFlyer
July 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM

I think the NEC was helped by the Big South also becoming eligible for an autobid in 2010, giving the NCAA a choice of expanding the playoff field, denying a new full-scholarship conference an autobid, or (fat chance) taking one away from one of the existing conferences whose current teams haven't won a game this century.

The PFL has never asked for an AQ, but the league has been very clear that it would accept an at large bid if one were ever extended, ( fat chance ). I agree that the NEC cause was aided by the Big South. I have to wonder, however, if there was an implied committment by the NEC to increase athletic scholarships in order to be awarded an AQ. Believe me, no one will ever admit to such a thing, but I wonder....

crusader11
July 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM
The PFL does not offer athletic scholarships so no playoff bid! This is the real answer!! The benefactor? How about the very powerful OVC that does offer athletic scholarships and got two teams in last year. Automatic bid AND an at large.... By the way, when was the last time the "powerful" OVC won a playoff game?

The NEC will receive an autobid in 2010. Just by sheer chance, the NEC will be up to 40 scholarships by 2013.... You pays your money, and yous get your bid.

Suffice it to say that FCS is EVERY BIT as corrupt as FBS. Sad really....

Hmmmm, the Patriot League does not offer scholarships, and gets the bid. Maybe the PFL does not get a bid because the committee who selects the Field of 16 recognizes the teams from the PFL just are not that good. Keep dreaming though that it is about money and not the quality of football.

I know you will respond that Dayton beat Fordham, and Fordham won the PL yada yada yada, and believe me I understand that the PFL has one or two decent teams every year (USD and Dayton), but you are kidding yourself if you think getting a bid to the playoffs is about money.

89Hen
July 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Yep, good thing that Dayton scheduled that cupcake PL team and won on their home field. I seem to recall that that team went on to win the PL and earn the PL's AQ to the playoffs....

Oh wait, your argument has so much more merit if we look at the "powerful" schedule that the OVC played....xrolleyesx
As usual you just ignore logic and reason and just go on emotion. Two years and you've still never answered the question of how other non-auto teams have gotten at-larges. xcoffeex

I will never defend the OVC as deserving of an auto, but the rules are the rules. 8 spots are reserved for autobids. Every year but one, 8 conferences apply, so who is going to get the autos?... probably the 8 that apply. xcoffeex

PFL wins last year in approximate order of impressiveness:
Fordham
Illinois State
Robert Morris
Northern Colorado
Marist
St. Francis (PA)
Urbana
Central State
Azusa Pacific
Waldorf
Wisconsin - Platteville
Albion
North Carolina - Pembrooke (2x)
Lenoir-Rhyne
St. Joseph's
St. Francis
West Virginia Tech
Missouri S&T
Kallamazoo
Marian
Hanover

Yeah, you win. The 13th ranked conference in I-AA + that list = a snub.

DSUrocks07
July 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM

xconfusedx

jstate83
July 9th, 2008, 10:19 AM
OH lawd.
Here we go again. xlolx

Panther88
July 9th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Basically, the previous responses are correct with a couple of corrections.

1. The SWAC and MEAC played in the Heritage Bowl. The SWAC champ (unless it was Southern or Grambling) went to the playoffs. Usually the MEAC sent it's second or third place team.

2. The SWAC technically is still elgible for the playoffs. The third place team has an outside shot, depending on their resume. Alabama A&M was considered before a late season loss to PVU.

3. The SWAC Championship game was created not because of our playoff record, but because the administration at that time thought it was a good idea to have it after we added UAPB (1998) and AAMU (1999).

4. Before the Championship game only Southern, Grambling and Alabama St were inelgible.

Slight modification to item #2. PVU was discussed as having an outside shot at participating in the playoffs w/ a tilt against possible foe McNeese St but committed playoff suicide by losing to UnivArkPineBluff. xreadx A 7-3 overall record w/ 12-2 loss to Southern U, 17-14 loss to Grambling St, and 21-19 loss to UAPB. For the first time ever, PV actually played an all D-I schedule. xreadx

We would've LOVED to participate in the D-I playoffs last fall. xreadx

3rd Coast Tiger
July 9th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Interesting! I wonder why this topic had never been addressed before. xlolx

Model Citizen
July 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM
...the league has been very clear that it would accept an at large bid if one were ever extended....

Got anything to back that up?

I think USD has made it clear it would accept a bid. The only thing I've heard Viverito ("the league") say is that a PFL team in the playoffs would be like the Gateway champion in a BCS bowl.

Clearly, the only way the PFL could get into the playoffs is through an auto bid, and that's not happening while Viverito is around.

UAalum72
July 9th, 2008, 11:32 AM
xconfusedxWhat's your question? If the Big South were given an autobid but the playoffs didn't expand, then another conference would have had to lose its autobid because the number was limited to eight. Expanding the playoffs avoids the need to take a bid away from someone.

redflash2
July 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM
The PFL is pretty weak outside of Dayton and USD. Second tear teams like Morehead State, Drake, and Jacksonville are really not that strong...

DetroitFlyer
July 9th, 2008, 12:38 PM
The PFL is pretty weak outside of Dayton and USD. Second tear teams like Morehead State, Drake, and Jacksonville are really not that strong...

MSU and Drake are solid teams. Jacksonville is in a rebuilding mode under Kerwin Bell. I expect them to improve. I would certainly place MSU and Drake solidly in the middle of the NEC if not higher.

redflash2
July 9th, 2008, 12:51 PM
MSU and Drake are solid teams. Jacksonville is in a rebuilding mode under Kerwin Bell. I expect them to improve. I would certainly place MSU and Drake solidly in the middle of the NEC if not higher.

WOW!!xeekx MSU has struggled with Saint Francis the three years they have played them. Honestly after talking to one of the coaches of MSU he said we were beat by SFU every time we played just mental errors by the team. If SFU has you on the ropes what makes you think they are a middle of a pack team in the NEC??? Drake maybe a fringe middle of the pack team but MSU never xsmhx

DetroitFlyer
July 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM
WOW!!xeekx MSU has struggled with Saint Francis the three years they have played them. Honestly after talking to one of the coaches of MSU he said we were beat by SFU every time we played just mental errors by the team. If SFU has you on the ropes what makes you think they are a middle of a pack team in the NEC??? Drake maybe a fringe middle of the pack team but MSU never xsmhx

Do not sell your Red Flash short. Saint Francis is a team capable of playing really well or really poorly. The Red Flash have improved a good bit the last few years, even if it is not yet reflected in your record. MSU would hang with Robert Morris, SFUP, Wagner, Sacred Heart, and they would be capable of giving an Albany or a CCSU a tough game. Remember, MSU was the only team that defeated Dayton last year. Something that Albany could not do....

Model Citizen
July 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM

We aren't talking about sending any of these teams to the playoffs.

813Jag
July 9th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Slight modification to item #2. PVU was discussed as having an outside shot at participating in the playoffs w/ a tilt against possible foe McNeese St but committed playoff suicide by losing to UnivArkPineBluff. xreadx A 7-3 overall record w/ 12-2 loss to Southern U, 17-14 loss to Grambling St, and 21-19 loss to UAPB. For the first time ever, PV actually played an all D-I schedule. xreadx

We would've LOVED to participate in the D-I playoffs last fall. xreadx
I recall PV coming up in conversation, but I think people view the 10 game schedule as working against you.

redflash2
July 9th, 2008, 01:00 PM
We aren't talking about sending any of these teams to the playoffs.

so do you think Dayton or USD if picked, lets say last year for the playoffs would make one of the first round games competitive??

DetroitFlyer
July 9th, 2008, 01:12 PM
so do you think Dayton or USD if picked, lets say last year for the playoffs would make one of the first round games competitive??

No question about it! Especially the 2007 Dayton Flyers. Solid team all the way around with an absolute star QB. In fact, had we been chosen, I would not have been surprised if we won a first round game. I'm sure that Albany was surprised at how easily the Flyers rolled over the Danes.... I know that they were very surprised at how good Kevin Hoyng was that day.... I feel extremely confident that Dayton would have put up as good an effort as the OVC, MEAC or PL representatives.... Frankly, it is criminal that Josh Johnson and Kevin Hoyng were not even remotely seriously considered for a playoff bid, ( in spite of what others will claim on this board ).

89Hen
July 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I would not have been surprised if we won a first round game.... I feel extremely confident that Dayton would have put up as good an effort as the OVC, MEAC or PL representatives....
xconfusedx You know you'd be surprised if the OVC or MEAC won a game, so why not if Dayton won one?

89Hen
July 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM
OK DF, serious question... do you think Dayton will ever schedule a Gateway or CAA team?

Model Citizen
July 9th, 2008, 01:27 PM

Could be.

On the other hand, they could draw Fordham.

DetroitFlyer
July 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM
OK DF, serious question... do you think Dayton will ever schedule a Gateway or CAA team?

If Youngstown State were willing to do a home/home, I think that the Flyers would play them. From what I hear, YSU will only play Dayton in Youngstown. Good or bad, Dayton Football does not play one sided series. We have bent a bit for Fordham from what I hear, ( two games at Fordham for one game at Dayton ). It is comical that both Dayton and YSU are playing Division II Central State this year, but they are not playing each other.... Only two FCS teams in the entire state of Ohio....

89Hen
July 9th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Only two FCS teams in the entire state of Ohio....
And you don't play each other?!?!?! xconfusedx xeyebrowx xwhistlex :p

DSUrocks07
July 9th, 2008, 02:10 PM

Because its obvious that being the only two FCS teams in a state that you must play each other right? I mean its not like YSU thinks they're too good to play ya'll...

/sarcasm

xlolx

redflash2
July 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM
YSU would beat Dayton by at LEAST two touchdowns!!!!xnodx YSU see's no significance in beating on Dayton

BlueHen86
July 9th, 2008, 04:04 PM

I've never heard of such a thing. Outrageous!xrolleyesx

McNeese75
July 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM
OH lawd.
Here we go again. xlolx

xrolleyesx :D Damn, come on September!!!!!!

xdeadhorsex

SIUallDay
July 11th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Ah man...I'd really like to see some of those schools play in the playoffs...but then again, if ur conference AS A WHOLE, hadn't won a playoff game in 20 years I guess I wouldnt be to excited to be apart of that either.....

tsutiger
July 11th, 2008, 09:00 AM
DetroitFlyer,

First let me say I'm not a OVC fan. I'm a Tennessee State Tiger fan. If we are not in the playoffs, I could care less what the other OVC teams do. My ? to you, what is your beef with the OVC?

Why do you think you can compete with FCS playoff teams? If Dayton was in the OVC last year, you guys would finish near the bottom. Little Hoying is a very good QB. Maybe the best you guys have ever had. However, you guys don’t have the athletes to compete with good FCS teams.

Posters on this board might not be familiar with the Flyer program but I am. Born and raised in Dayton. Don’t you find it funny that only now after Central program is on life support that you guys play them. In the 80’s and 90’s Central would have beat UD by 60 to 70 points. Your AD is great. He tricked you guys into thinking your one of the best teams in FCS. There is a reason you guys are playing Central State and not Youngstown State. They would put up 60 on you guys. No joke.

danefan
July 11th, 2008, 09:06 AM
DetroitFlyer,

First let me say I'm not a OVC fan. I'm a Tennessee State Tiger fan. If we are not in the playoffs, I could care less what the other OVC teams do. My ? to you, what is your beef with the OVC?

Why do you think you can compete with FCS playoff teams? If Dayton was in the OVC last year, you guys would finish near the bottom. Little Hoying is a very good QB. Maybe the best you guys have ever had. However, you guys don’t have the athletes to compete with good FCS teams.

Posters on this board might not be familiar with the Flyer program but I am. Born and raised in Dayton. Don’t you find it funny that only now after Central program is on life support that you guys play them. In the 80’s and 90’s Central would have beat UD by 60 to 70 points. Your AD is great. He tricked you guys into thinking your one of the best teams in FCS. There is a reason you guys are playing Central State and not Youngstown State. They would put up 60 on you guys. No joke.

Before Detroitflyer gets on this post - I will say just one thing: Kevin Hyong was the best athlete Albany played against all last year and would have been the best athlete on the field at most FCS schools. xnonox

DetroitFlyer
July 11th, 2008, 09:39 AM
DetroitFlyer,

Too bad you moved away from Dayton.... You have fallen out of touch my friend. Did you know that Youngstown State is going to play Central State this year? I suppose that they also ducked CSU in the 80's and 90's.... Dayton won Division III NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS in 1980 and 1989. I have no doubt that Dayton would have hung with CSU during that time frame. Back to Central State.... They are in a fund raising mode. I believe that they have three or four FCS teams on the schedule this season, all to raise money, ( including Dayton ). Dayton will be the visiting team for the "Dayton Classic" at Welcome Stadium on August 31, 2008. The game will draw well and CSU will pocket some much needed coin. The YSU game is all about money. I think they also play Alabama A&M in another classic for money....

As for the OVC.... Your league has been the sponser of what I call the "OVC Rule". Basically, your league wants minimum funding / scholarship requirements for a team to remain in FCS.... Why? Because your league can see that the PFL and teams like Dayton and San Diego are making your programs look sad. 63 scholarships and not a playoff win since when? The OVC knows that if Dayton, San Diego or whomever wins the PFL in any given season gets to the playoffs, they will perform better than the sorry OVC. Then you would look even worse to your fans and supporters.... Soon, folks might even call for killing football.... So, instead of working to improve your teams to the level of top PFL teams level, your sorry league goes off and tries to get the PFL kicked out of FCS.

Lastly, maybe you did not notice that Dayton defeated TWO FCS league champions last season, Fordham and Albany. How many FCS league champions did any OVC team defeat last season?

Syntax Error
July 11th, 2008, 09:50 AM
... teams like Dayton and San Diego are making your programs look sad. 63 scholarships and not a playoff win since when?Facts

12. Ohio Valley Conference (57.10)
20. E Kentucky (20.38)
42. E Illinois (35.13)
65. Jacksonville St (50.38)
75. Austin Peay (57.50)
78T. Tennessee St (58.88)
80. TN Martin (59.13)
93T. Samford (67.75)
96. Tennessee Tech (70.25)
105. SE Missouri St (75.13)
108. Murray St (76.50)

13. Pioneer Football League (63.71)
30. Dayton (27.88)
53T. San Diego (42.13)
86. Morehead St (62.50)
87. Drake (64.25)
90T. Davidson (66.38)
113. Jacksonville (81.00)
115. Valparaiso (82.00)
119. Butler (83.50)

BTW, the PFL has never had a team selected for the playoffs so has never had a playoff win. Teams in the OVC have won multiple national championships.

That said, the PFL is the strongest non/limited equivalency conference.

tsutiger
July 11th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Too bad you moved away from Dayton.... You have fallen out of touch my friend. Did you know that Youngstown State is going to play Central State this year? I suppose that they also ducked CSU in the 80's and 90's.... Dayton won Division III NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS in 1980 and 1989. I have no doubt that Dayton would have hung with CSU during that time frame. Back to Central State.... They are in a fund raising mode. I believe that they have three or four FCS teams on the schedule this season, all to raise money, ( including Dayton ). Dayton will be the visiting team for the "Dayton Classic" at Welcome Stadium on August 31, 2008. The game will draw well and CSU will pocket some much needed coin. The YSU game is all about money. I think they also play Alabama A&M in another classic for money....

As for the OVC.... Your league has been the sponser of what I call the "OVC Rule". Basically, your league wants minimum funding / scholarship requirements for a team to remain in FCS.... Why? Because your league can see that the PFL and teams like Dayton and San Diego are making your programs look sad. 63 scholarships and not a playoff win since when? The OVC knows that if Dayton, San Diego or whomever wins the PFL in any given season gets to the playoffs, they will perform better than the sorry OVC. Then you would look even worse to your fans and supporters.... Soon, folks might even call for killing football.... So, instead of working to improve your teams to the level of top PFL teams level, your sorry league goes off and tries to get the PFL kicked out of FCS.

Lastly, maybe you did not notice that Dayton defeated TWO FCS league champions last season, Fordham and Albany. How many FCS league champions did any OVC team defeat last season?

What does me not living in Dayton have to do with anything? I’m still very much in the loop. I still read the Dayton Daily News everyday. In fact I read the DDN more then I do the Atlanta Journal Constitution or The Tennessean. I keep up with the hometown teams. (Ohio State, Central State, UD and Wright State). I attended the Dayton Classic last year. How many posters on this board even know who Kevin Hoying is? Trust not many.

For years UD was dominating D3. Central was dominating who ever they played. UD would not play Central back then because it would have been real ugly. Only now you guys play them when they don’t have scholarships. When you guys knew they couldn’t compete.

Reading your rest or you post. Do you really think any conference is worried about UD or San Diego? Lets just agree to disagree, because you really think UD would be a factor if they played in the playoffs. Albany and Fordham. Please. LOL

DetroitFlyer
July 11th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Of course we all know how non-biased the various computer rankings and human polls that make up the GPI are relative to the PFL.... Fact: Dayton has won multiple national championships.... in Division III! Has about as much relevance as the past OVC history.... How about supplying another fact.... When, exactly, is the last time an OVC team won a playoff game? Is it measured in years or decades?

The "OCV Rule" is not an OVC thing only.... There is great fear in FCS that a team using the non-scholarship model can compete with schools who provide 63 athletic scholarships.

Syntax Error
July 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Of course we all know how non-biased the various computer rankings and human polls that make up the GPI are relative to the PFL.... Fact: Dayton has won multiple national championships.... in Division III! Has about as much relevance as the past OVC history.... How about supplying another fact.... When, exactly, is the last time an OVC team won a playoff game? Is it measured in years or decades?

The "OCV Rule" is not an OVC thing only.... There is great fear in FCS that a team using the non-scholarship model can compete with schools who provide 63 athletic scholarships.Well it has been established that you are biased, want to show how the polls and computer rankings are biased? D-III championships are not relevant to the 30 year history of D-I championships. Why don't you go look up and see when WKU won a playoff game while in the OVC a few years back? The only fear in the FCS is dumbing down the playoffs so much that it makes the tournament a joke for the first couple rounds. You thinking that FCS teams are FEARING a league that has never produced a playoff team, let alone one that has won a single game is laughable. You have to know that. I respect the PFL but the proposal to put all the D-I championship teams on equal footing was not done in fear of the PFL.

DetroitFlyer
July 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Well it has been established that you are biased, want to show how the polls and computer rankings are biased? D-III championships are not relevant to the 30 year history of D-I championships. Why don't you go look up and see when WKU won a playoff game while in the OVC a few years back? The only fear in the FCS is dumbing down the playoffs so much that it makes the tournament a joke for the first couple rounds. You thinking that FCS teams are FEARING a league that has never produced a playoff team, let alone one that has won a single game is laughable. You have to know that. I respect the PFL but the proposal to put all the D-I championship teams on equal footing was not done in fear of the PFL.

Yeah, we sure do not want to dumb down the playoffs with the MEAC, OVC, or PL teams that rarely win a game.... As for bias, look where USD was ranked in 2006 versus Dayton in 2007.... After the FCS playoffs were exposed for the sham that they are in 2006, the Old Guard simply did not vote Dayton as high as USD and the computer rankings were oddly lower as well.... This is the same reason that the earned access BS for a NEC bid in 2008 and 2009 is a pile of you know what as well. Just another thinly veiled attempt for the Old Guard to pretend they are not afraid of a non or partial scholarship team gaining access to the playoffs. Guess what? A PFL team cannot win a playoff game if they are NEVER invited.... 15 years and ZERO invitations. Why don't you do some work and tell me how many playoff games have the PL, MEAC and the OVC won in the last 15 years while the PFL was excluded? If you do not understand that a Northern Iowa fears losing to Dayton in the playoffs, then you are simply not grounded in reality. Believe me, no team wants to explain to its fans, supporters, students, administration, etc. that their expensive, "fully funded" team lost to a lowly non-scholarship school! Especially true of the OVC since they do not win much anyway.... Losing to a PFL team just might be enough to get a coach fired or even a program killed, especially if it happens more than once. So rather than man up and face the competition, they try to take the cowardly way out by working to get the PFL booted out of FCS.

I-AA Fan
July 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM
SWAC: If offered & not in a bowl, there is nothing preventing them from going. However, with the top 2 & 3 teams playing in some post-season game already, the NCAA is not going to make an offer for two sanctioned events toward one school.

Pioneer: No scholly's ...no post-season. There has to be standards ...even if they are unofficial.

Ivy: Say, when the play-off has the same prestige as Harvard vs Yale, and ESPN game day is sitting outside of a I-AA/FCS play-off hosting stadium, I think they will choose to participate.

jcf5445
July 11th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah, we sure do not want to dumb down the playoffs with the MEAC, OVC, or PL teams that rarely win a game.... As for bias, look where USD was ranked in 2006 versus Dayton in 2007.... After the FCS playoffs were exposed for the sham that they are in 2006, the Old Guard simply did not vote Dayton as high as USD and the computer rankings were oddly lower as well.... This is the same reason that the earned access BS for a NEC bid in 2008 and 2009 is a pile of you know what as well. Just another thinly veiled attempt for the Old Guard to pretend they are not afraid of a non or partial scholarship team gaining access to the playoffs. Guess what? A PFL team cannot win a playoff game if they are NEVER invited.... 15 years and ZERO invitations. Why don't you do some work and tell me how many playoff games have the PL, MEAC and the OVC won in the last 15 years while the PFL was excluded? If you do not understand that a Northern Iowa fears losing to Dayton in the playoffs, then you are simply not grounded in reality. Believe me, no team wants to explain to its fans, supporters, students, administration, etc. that their expensive, "fully funded" team lost to a lowly non-scholarship school! Especially true of the OVC since they do not win much anyway.... Losing to a PFL team just might be enough to get a coach fired or even a program killed, especially if it happens more than once. So rather than man up and face the competition, they try to take the cowardly way out by working to get the PFL booted out of FCS.

Playoff victories since 1993:

SoCon 59
CAA 45
MVC 36
Sky 33
SL 22
Ind 15
PL 7
MEAC 4
OVC 3
GW 1
SWAC 0
Big South 0

Ivy, MAAC, NEC, and PFL received no bids, thus 0 wins for them as well.

89Hen
July 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM
So rather than man up and face the competition, they try to take the cowardly way out...
Wow. Just when I think you can't get any more ridiculous you go and say something like that. Do I need to bring out the list again?...

Fordham
Illinois State
Robert Morris
Northern Colorado
Marist
St. Francis (PA)
Urbana
Central State
Azusa Pacific
Waldorf
Wisconsin - Platteville
Albion
North Carolina - Pembrooke (2x)
Lenoir-Rhyne
St. Joseph's
St. Francis
West Virginia Tech
Missouri S&T
Kallamazoo
Marian
Hanover

xnutsx xcoffeex

Syntax Error
July 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
...xsmhx once again xsmhx

09/01/07 at 106 Robert Morris
09/08/07 vs. Not D-I Urbana
09/15/07 vs. Not D-I Central State (Ohio)
09/22/07 at 35 Fordham
09/29/07 at 86 Morehead State <----LOST
10/06/07 vs. 113 Jacksonville
10/13/07 vs. 90 Davidson
10/20/07 at 115 Valparaiso
10/27/07 vs. 53 San Diego
11/03/07 vs. 119 Butler
11/10/07 at 87 Drake
POSTSEASON 12/01/07 vs. 43 Albany

Yeah, Dayton was robbed in 2007.

UAalum72
July 11th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Why should the OVC get credit for wins by Western Kentucky, which is no longer in FCS let alone the OVC? In the 21st century (ie beginning with 2001) the PFL has the same number of playoff wins as the MEAC and the OVC combined. (so does the NEC)

Going on the principle of 'better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and prove it' which is worse - to be not invited to the playoffs and be 0-0, or for two leagues to be a combined 0-18, including having gotten at-large bids in spite of their leagues' records?

danefan
July 11th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Why should the OVC get credit for wins by Western Kentucky, which is no longer in FCS let alone the OVC? In the 21st century (ie beginning with 2001) the PFL has the same number of playoff wins as the MEAC and the OVC combined. (so does the NEC)

Going on the principle of 'better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and prove it' which is worse - to be not invited to the playoffs and be 0-0, or for two leagues to be a combined 0-18, including having gotten at-large bids in spite of their leagues' records?

I can't wait to read the response to this........lets see some more "facts" SE.

Syntax Error
July 11th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Why should the OVC get credit for wins by Western Kentucky, which is no longer in FCS let alone the OVC? In the 21st century (ie beginning with 2001) the PFL has the same number of playoff wins as the MEAC and the OVC combined. (so does the NEC)Had to figure the NEC fans would jump in spitting venom seeing how they are the only other FCS conference that has never had a team selected for the playoffs. The FCS must fear them too, see how they gave them a gift? xcoffeex

Syntax Error
July 11th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I can't wait to read the response to this........lets see some more "facts" SE.12/01/07 Dayton vs. Albany NY Welcome Stadium W, 42-21

danefan
July 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
12/01/07 Dayton vs. Albany NY Welcome Stadium W, 42-21

That is a fact......but once again it is a post from you that means nothing to the conversation.xwhistlex

danefan
July 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Had to figure the NEC fans would jump in spitting venom seeing how they are the only other FCS conference that has never had a team selected for the playoffs. The FCS must fear them too, see how they gave them a gift? xcoffeex

That so-called gift is no different than the gift the OVC and MEAC get every year. In fact the OVC got two gifts this year!

Syntax Error
July 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM
That is a fact......but once again it is a post from you that means nothing to the conversation.No one asked your opinion. If you don't like it then leave.

danefan
July 11th, 2008, 03:23 PM
No one asked your opinion. If you don't like it then leave.

Same goes for you pal.

But, I think I'll stick around a little while longer.xnodx