PDA

View Full Version : Jackson State QB Oliver Bailed out of jail by JSU Officials?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 8th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I thought these were pretty explosive allegations:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=opinion-jackson-state-s-bad-behavior-hel&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Last winter, Jimmie Oliver the quarterback at Jackson State University ran afoul the law, and not for the first time. I know this because I live in Magee and worked for the paper. Oliver got a misdemeanor marijuana ticket and tickets and warnings for multiple traffic violations. When his name was run through the crime computer it kicked out outstanding charges from Alabama for other traffic violations.

A young man in the car with Oliver was also charged with misdemeanor charges. The incident happened just a couple weeks from the SWAC championship game — the “big” game.

Did Oliver show up for his court date? No. Was he trying to hide and hope it would go away? No, again. He was sitting back and letting his “handlers” do their job. What was happening was a full court press from the folks associated with JSU. So many people called the arresting officer he had to have his phone number changed. The city and the judge were hounded with phone calls — all asking the same thing — dismiss the charges. It was not going to happen — and it didn’t.

Oliver was found guilty when he failed to appear, and a warrant was issued for his arrest, as well as for his passenger’s arrest. That young man was also a football player, but not of Jimmie Oliver’s stature.

When the arrest warrant was issued, the action picked up. Someone with JSU — the person accepting the money did not get the name — came in and paid Oliver’s fine. But not the fine of the other young man. Then, they wanted it all to go away.

If it is true that "someone with JSU" came to pay Oliver's fine, isn't that an NCAA violation at the very least? Never mind that they paid one kid's fine and not the other kid's fine...

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2008, 09:08 AM
It is an NCAA violation if someone from JSU paid Oliver's fine. This could be trouble brewing for the school and the individual if that is the case...

Panther88
July 8th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Uh ohhhhhhhh....xreadx

JDC325
July 8th, 2008, 09:19 AM
xpopcornx

jstate83
July 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Ya'll can UH-OOH and eat all the popcorn ya'll want.xlolx

JSU official's did not even find out Oliver was even arrested until the week of the Alcorn game.
And they found out then because he was due in court that week, missed the date, and a bench warrent was issued for him.xthumbsupx

Don't believe the hype of a Blog paper. xlolx

And BTW:
It was for suspened liscense not Mary Jane.
Someone else had that and Oliver tested negative for it.
Amazing how people can take old dead and buried new's and try to diminish something other people accomplish. xlolx

ESPECIALLY that part of SOUTH MISSISSIPPI. xlolx
Laural................If you only knew the mentality. xlolx
This was dead and buried long ago and what pop's up just before football season, some nobody with a nothing story.

mikebigg
July 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM
JState 83,

As I read this, I too was thinking "why now?" I know the blog started out talking about a Juco (or so it seemed) only to turn into a accusatory commentary on JSU and Jimmy Oliver. I was wondering about his motivation/reason for including JSU. If he has facts, be a real journalist and report that and not speculatory opinions.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 8th, 2008, 10:04 AM
The original author (a woman, BTW) said this:

Having been around sports all my life, and observing it at different levels from tee-ball to the pros, there is some point in the process where the “lets all have a turn and enjoy ourselves,” becomes lost in a need to win — at any cost. It doesn’t happen all at once, but in increments fueled by what may be desperation, at various levels. When that happens, things start to break down. At that point it is up to the coaches to have the character to do the right thing. Too often they do nothing — or worse, reinforce the feeling of being “special” to talented athletes.

And, her link to the story:

Last winter, Jimmie Oliver the quarterback at Jackson State University ran afoul the law, and not for the first time. I know this because I live in Magee and worked for the paper. Oliver got a misdemeanor marijuana ticket and tickets and warnings for multiple traffic violations. When his name was run through the crime computer it kicked out outstanding charges from Alabama for other traffic violations.

I don't pretend to know the details of Mr. Oliver's run-ins with the law - or even if what this reporter did and said were responsible in a journalistic sense. However, the allegation that someone from JSU paid Oliver's fine is pretty explosive and a potential NCAA violation, whether it's for public littering or a drug charge. And if it's true they paid for Oliver's release but not the other fellow with him, that's pretty cold.

Another question worth posing: if it's clearly false, why wouldn't JSU officials comment on the story, like coach Comegy?

jstate83
July 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM
The original author (a woman, BTW) said this:

And, her link to the story:

I don't pretend to know the details of Mr. Oliver's run-ins with the law - or even if what this reporter did and said were responsible in a journalistic sense. However, the allegation that someone from JSU paid Oliver's fine is pretty explosive and a potential NCAA violation, whether it's for public littering or a drug charge. And if it's true they paid for Oliver's release but not the other fellow with him, that's pretty cold.

Another question worth posing: if it's clearly false, why wouldn't JSU officials comment on the story, like coach Comegy?

Because in this state when talking sport's, let people with an agenda fade away.
Comegy don't need to comment on a dead issue.
He commented at lenght when this happened along with A.D. Bob Braddy.

If there was something to this, believe me, the Clarion Ledger would have drove that 1 big mile to campus and would be all over this.
They up there every day covering different stories anyway. xlolx

Everybody in this state knew of this incident.
There was nothing to cover up because it was for Traffic Violations.
J. Oliver was booked and back on campus practicing and nobody even knew he had been arrested.

And this happened a full month before he missed that court date.
Believe me.
If it is not about USM, people down there will try and find anything negative to print.

Wait a few weeks.
Bet something on Ole Miss and Miss State pop's up in a story from down there.