PDA

View Full Version : Get Ready For A Grind: It's Bye-Bye Byes

BDKJMU
July 6th, 2008, 05:38 PM
This is BS- they simply need to push the playoffs back a week. If Chatty still wants to host it, they'll deal with it. And I doubt ESPN would drop it if the playoffs were pushed back a week.

http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=29625&CHID=3

slycat
July 6th, 2008, 05:41 PM
thats going to be rough. as a fan i don't like bye weeks because then that means i don't get to watch my team for a week. but the players could really use the rest.

patssle
July 6th, 2008, 06:06 PM
You start doing bye weeks, then you may suffer from the same thing that kills the BCS/Bowl game system sometimes....the team that shows up for the game may be different from the team that played its last game 1 2 3 4 weeks ago.

catamount man
July 6th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Don't like this one bit. Another slap in the face to FCS football. xmadx

ericsaid
July 6th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Maybe the coaches will appeal the ruling.

JayJ79
July 6th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I wonder if they'll change the playoff seeding with the expansion.
With 20 teams making the playoffs, that means 8 teams play in the first week, with 12 teams having a bye.

Logic would dictate that the 8 qualifying teams with the least impressive regular season (i.e. seeds 13-20) should be the 8 playing that first week, with the winners of those games going on to play at the top 4 seeded schools.

And if you seed the top 4 and the bottom 8, you might as well seed all 20. But who knows what the NCAA will do.

MplsBison
July 6th, 2008, 07:38 PM
First of all, I have to admit that last year going 11 weeks straight really took it out of us and when it came time to ante up big for the last game, we just didn't have it left in the tank to call. SDSU, on the other hand, had recently had a bye week and they really took it to us in the special teams, where we were depleted, to say the least.

That said, I like this change.

It forces everyone on the same playing field.

I would LOVE to have seen the difference in the SDSU team we saw in Brookings if they had gone 11 weeks straight like we had.

Now, everyone will be going 11 weeks straight.

This will really put the emphasis on depth, where it should be at this level of play.

It's not good enough to have 22 good, strong young men. You've got to have 40-50 at least.

SoCon48
July 7th, 2008, 09:14 AM
First of all, I have to admit that last year going 11 weeks straight really took it out of us and when it came time to ante up big for the last game, we just didn't have it left in the tank to call. SDSU, on the other hand, had recently had a bye week and they really took it to us in the special teams, where we were depleted, to say the least.

That said, I like this change.

It forces everyone on the same playing field.

I would LOVE to have seen the difference in the SDSU team we saw in Brookings if they had gone 11 weeks straight like we had.

Now, everyone will be going 11 weeks straight.

This will really put the emphasis on depth, where it should be at this level of play.

It's not good enough to have 22 good, strong young men. You've got to have 40-50 at least.

Is that why our division (section) is allowed less scholarships and must trim the roster to 53 for the play-offs?

Funny, the FBS supposedly won't subscribe to a play-off system because of academics yet now we can possibly play 16 straight games with no break for the student athletes. Or is that 17 straight if one has to play the play-in round? For example, App plays 12 reg season and the play-offs have been extended one more game.
Guess all the FCS schools are just so easy it doesn't matter.xrolleyesx

MplsBison
July 7th, 2008, 10:52 AM
There will only be 11 regular season games allowed with this proposal.

So the maximum that could happen is 16 straight weeks.

gophoenix
July 7th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Is that why our division (section) is allowed less scholarships and must trim the roster to 53 for the play-offs?

Funny, the FBS supposedly won't subscribe to a play-off system because of academics yet now we can possibly play 16 straight games with no break for the student athletes. Or is that 17 straight if one has to play the play-in round? For example, App plays 12 reg season and the play-offs have been extended one more game.
Guess all the FCS schools are just so easy it doesn't matter.xrolleyesx

FBS/NCAA just keep trying to slap the FCS in the face over and over trying to create situations where the playoffs just won't work. IF we fall on our faces because of this, they'll just point to it and say this is why a playoff won't work.

McTailGator
July 7th, 2008, 11:38 AM
This is BS- they simply need to push the playoffs back a week. If Chatty still wants to host it, they'll deal with it. And I doubt ESPN would drop it if the playoffs were pushed back a week.

http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=29625&CHID=3

This is INDEED Horse S_it.

We need a 12th regular season game to offset expenses AND a BYE week in late Sept. or early Oct. to give the kids and the coaches a freaking break. WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR COACH THINKING?

We need to push it all back a week, and put the finals around the final Saturday in December (or New Years Eve would be cool).

Now they coaches will push to let the players play 5 in 5 years instead of 4 in 5.

THIS WILL PUSH MORE OF THE TOP QUALITY FCS SCHOOLS TO FBS.

MY SCHOOL MAY SOON FIND IT HARDER TO BE IN FCS THAN THE BOTTOM OF FBS.

THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR FOOTBALL!

I-AA Fan
July 7th, 2008, 12:37 PM
You guys asked for it, so now you have to pay for it ...now you complain. Simply put ...push it back & lose TV coverage ...so which is it going to be? The network has a great argument. The only real solution is simply to have 16-teams in the post-season ...imagine that? With the additional games. just do what the IA teams do ...schedule a I-AA scrub. Except in our case, schedule a DII or non-scholarship. In other words, it is not that the season is too long, but rather, the post-season is too long.

A second option is to follow the DII (old DIII) post-season method, which gives certain teams a bye-week. In DII, they seed the teams by NCAA region, with the top-2 teams in each region receiving a bye week. I personally like the conference winners receiving bye-weeks. It gives you something that makes the regular season worth while & eliminates the issue we always used to have with the "SoCon-3" & their control within the selection committee. Then when you have 2 or 3 teams in a tie, the conference tie-breaker is really doing something.

Lionsrking
July 7th, 2008, 12:38 PM
MY SCHOOL MAY SOON FIND IT HARDER TO BE IN FCS THAN THE BOTTOM OF FBS.

THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR FOOTBALL!

The entire Southland Conference may be in that position for reasons other than eliminating a bye week. The idea of moving up as a league is already being discussed and this just adds fuel to the fire.

aust42
July 7th, 2008, 12:46 PM
This is no surprise. Eliminating the bye week was one reason why so many of us opposed expanding the playoffs as discussed on several previous threads.

danefan
July 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Its a pretty simple concept: you want a bye weak before the playoffs? Be one of the top 12 teams that doesn't have to play in the first round. That's your bye weak.

Remember only 8 teams will play in the first round. Theoretically it will be the 4 new teams (they're not complaining about not having a bye because they are in the playoffs when they other wise would not have been) and likely the AQ from PL and MEAC (should be happy they are in the playoffs just like NEC and Big South AQ teams) and then the last 2 at-larges in (who once again should be happy they made it).

The teams who will be frontrunners for the title won't have to worry about playing 16 games straight. It won't happen.

danefan
July 7th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Its a pretty simple concept: you want a bye weak before the playoffs? Be one of the top 12 teams that doesn't have to play in the first round. That's your bye weak.

Remember only 8 teams will play in the first round. Theoretically it will be the 4 new teams (they're not complaining about not having a bye because they are in the playoffs when they other wise would not have been) and likely the AQ from PL and MEAC (should be happy they are in the playoffs just like NEC and Big South AQ teams) and then the last 2 at-larges in (who once again should be happy they made it).

The teams who will be front runners for the title won't have to worry about playing 16 games straight.

FargoBison
July 7th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I thought ESPN would have a problem with it, expansion would have been perfect if the playoffs could have been pushed back but this hardly an ideal situation.

BTW Chatty needs to stay out of this, if they don't want to host the game on the date the FCS wants to play it then it may be time to find a new host.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 7th, 2008, 12:57 PM
There will only be 11 regular season games allowed with this proposal.

So the maximum that could happen is 16 straight weeks.

Wouldn't it be 17 weeks if one of the teams in the opening round ran the gauntlet all the way to Chatty?

danefan
July 7th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Wouldn't it be 17 weeks if one of the teams in the opening round ran the gauntlet all the way to Chatty?

I think its still 16.

11 regular season.
1st round of 20
2nd round of 16
Quarterfinal round of 8
Semifinal round of 4
Finals of 2

Right?

MplsBison
July 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM
The regular season will be 11 weeks long and you will be allowed to schedule a maximum of 11 games during the regular season.

The post season will be 5 weeks long with the top 12 ranked teams getting the 1st week off.

The two teams in Chattanooga will either have played 11 weeks straight and then 4 weeks straight for 15 games in 16 weeks or 16 weeks straight.

The only other option would be to schedule less than 11 games during the regular season.

I believe the minimum is 9 games.

BearsCountry
July 7th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Doesnt D2 already play 11 straight weeks then go into the playoffs? I know the top teams get a bye in the playoffs though.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 7th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I think its still 16.

11 regular season.
1st round of 20
2nd round of 16
Quarterfinal round of 8
Semifinal round of 4
Finals of 2

Right?

Yeah, you're right. I overlooked the part that an 11 game regular season would be mandated. xoopsx xoopsx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 7th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Wow, I'm surprised that our championship game is such a threat to ESPN and FBS and their beloved Bowl Season! xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx Give me a break, those early games hardly get that much better ratings than our championship game.

Let schools have the usual 12 weeks for 11 games and just extend the playoffs a week (or more, to be after Christmas). The opening round games will probably still draw fine on Turkey Weekend because those teams are going to be happy they are participating. The usual big dogs will be home the next week with no holiday factor and will draw well. Move the final after Xmas, bundle it with an all-star game, draw more people to the game, extra gate revenue makes the NC$$ very happy, ESPN is told to follow suit. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

danefan
July 7th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Wow, I'm surprised that our championship game is such a threat to ESPN and FBS and their beloved Bowl Season! xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx Give me a break, those early games hardly get that much better ratings than our championship game.

Let schools have the usual 12 weeks for 11 games and just extend the playoffs a week (or more, to be after Christmas). The opening round games will probably still draw fine on Turkey Weekend because those teams are going to be happy they are participating. The usual big dogs will be home the next week with no holiday factor and will draw well. Move the final after Xmas, bundle it with an all-star game, draw more people to the game, extra gate revenue makes the NC$$ very happy, ESPN is told to follow suit. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

The thing is the NCAA really has ESPN by the balls. If the NCAA really wanted to make ESPN televise the FCS championship after christmas, they easily could. All they have to do is threaten to take all of the NCAA championships to Fox Sports or CBS. Bam - done deal. Any other network will glady take the NCAA championship package - especially CBS with CSTV. But the NCAA doesn't give a $h!t. Even though they should. this is the only sanctioned NCAA Division I football championship. You would think they would see the potential.

Syntax Error
July 7th, 2008, 02:18 PM
... Theoretically it will be the 4 new teams (they're not complaining about not having a bye because they are in the playoffs when they other wise would not have been) and likely the AQ from PL and MEAC (should be happy they are in the playoffs just like NEC and Big South AQ teams) and then the last 2 at-larges in (who once again should be happy they made it).

The teams who will be frontrunners for the title won't have to worry about playing 16 games straight. It won't happen.2003. Delaware played straight through the schedule and playoffs, won the championship.

As for the shot at the PL and MEAC, "should be happy they are in the playoffs just like NEC and Big South AQ teams," teams from both of the current PL and MEAC have been selected as at-larges multiple times in addition to their AQ and have either won the championship or made it to the championship game.

That is not "just like NEC and Big South." An NEC team has never been selected for the playoffs and only one Big South team has ever been selected. Neither have a playoff win.

Let's not get carried away.

danefan
July 7th, 2008, 02:49 PM
2003. Delaware played straight through the schedule and playoffs, won the championship.

As for the shot at the PL and MEAC, "should be happy they are in the playoffs just like NEC and Big South AQ teams," teams from both of the current PL and MEAC have been selected as at-larges multiple times in addition to their AQ and have either won the championship or made it to the championship game.

That is not "just like NEC and Big South." An NEC team has never been selected for the playoffs and only one Big South team has ever been selected. Neither have a playoff win.

Let's not get carried away.

xwhistlex

Syntax Error
July 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM
xwhistlexGuess facts are not enough? Smack the PL and MEAC here Albany fans -----------------------> FCS SMACK BOARD

Keeper
July 7th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I know that the NCAA has restricted scheduling to between Labor Day weekend and the last Saturday before Thanksgiving, which this year allows for 13 Saturdays. Some games are kicking off Thursday Aug 28th this year.
In 2010, why can't they kickoff Saturday Aug 28th, even though is one week before Labor Day?? That would allow a bye with 11 games and end the playoffs before Christmas. If not, then delay the Champ game until the middle of bowl week, with a bowl-type name and sponsor, may get even more notice that way. My biggest concern is playoff rounds which get deeper into the bad weather.

Lionsrking
July 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM
In 2010, why can't they kickoff Saturday Aug 28th, even though is one week before Labor Day?? That would allow a bye with 11 games and end the playoffs before Christmas.

Because it makes way too much sense. God forbid an exception be made for the welfare of the student-athletes. It's all about money and the presidents don't want to spend a little extra to have the team on campus an extra week.

MplsBison
July 8th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I know that the NCAA has restricted scheduling to between Labor Day weekend and the last Saturday before Thanksgiving, which this year allows for 13 Saturdays. Some games are kicking off Thursday Aug 28th this year.
In 2010, why can't they kickoff Saturday Aug 28th, even though is one week before Labor Day?? That would allow a bye with 11 games and end the playoffs before Christmas. If not, then delay the Champ game until the middle of bowl week, with a bowl-type name and sponsor, may get even more notice that way. My biggest concern is playoff rounds which get deeper into the bad weather.

That is what DII did, start a week earlier.

FCS presidents have said no.

UAalum72
July 8th, 2008, 07:24 AM
It's also a fact that the MEAC won its championship TWENTY-EIGHT YEARS AGO (when there were only four teams in the playoffs). What relevance does that have to the 21st century?

Since the MEAC hasn't WON any of those at-large bids in this century, that's more an indictment of the selection process than an evaluation of the NEC and BS. Maybe they could have gotten another at-large if the spot wasn't taken up by teams from leagues that weren't winning even their auto-bids.

Guess facts are not enough? Smack the PL and MEAC here Albany fans -----------------------> FCS SMACK BOARD
While I think he should have said 'OVC' instead of the Patriot League, Albany fans haven't been the only people on this forum to suggest the PL lose its autobid - I don't agree, BTW.

But - that's 'smack'? I'll pay attention to your sending fans to the smack board after the next time you tell it to citdog for almost anything he says

McTailGator
July 8th, 2008, 02:02 PM
The thing is the NCAA really has ESPN by the balls. If the NCAA really wanted to make ESPN televise the FCS championship after christmas, they easily could. All they have to do is threaten to take all of the NCAA championships to Fox Sports or CBS. Bam - done deal. Any other network will glady take the NCAA championship package - especially CBS with CSTV. But the NCAA doesn't give a $h!t. Even though they should. this is the only sanctioned NCAA Division I football championship. You would think they would see the potential.

BINGO...

Tell them that That the package is for ALL Division I Championships are it's is NOTHING. And ESPN Gameday is broadcasting live from the NC game.

McTailGator
July 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM
The entire Southland Conference may be in that position for reasons other than eliminating a bye week. The idea of moving up as a league is already being discussed and this just adds fuel to the fire.

That is the rumor.

THE SLC COMMISH AND THE PRESIDENTS ARE PISSED!

McTailGator
July 8th, 2008, 02:06 PM

The teams who will be frontrunners for the title won't have to worry about playing 16 games straight. It won't happen.

NO

The coaches like their bye week generally around the 1st week in October which is really mid year considering the players start practicing around early August.

THIS WILL BE EXTREALLY HARD ON THE PLAYERS.

AND WITH LIMITED ROUSTERS AND SCHOLARSHIPS IT IS JUST PLAIN STUPID!

McTailGator
July 8th, 2008, 02:07 PM
BTW Chatty needs to stay out of this, if they don't want to host the game on the date the FCS wants to play it then it may be time to find a new host.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/photo_servlet?contentId=5420745&version=1&locale=EN-US&subtype=MIMG&siteId=1013&isP16=true

HELLO HOUSTON!
http://web.mlsnet.com/t104/imgs/stadium/seating_map.gif

lizrdgizrd
July 8th, 2008, 03:08 PM
You start doing bye weeks, then you may suffer from the same thing that kills the BCS/Bowl game system sometimes....the team that shows up for the game may be different from the team that played its last game 1 2 3 4 weeks ago.
I think they're eliminating the bye week during the season, there will still have to be byes for those exempted from playing the first round of the playoffs.

MplsBison
July 8th, 2008, 07:19 PM
That is the rumor.

THE SLC COMMISH AND THE PRESIDENTS ARE PISSED!

I guess if ULM, ULL and LA Tech can be FBS, McNeese can too.

Northwestern, Southeastern and Nicholls, OTOH, I don't know.

Lionsrking
July 8th, 2008, 07:38 PM

There have been discussions about the Southland moving up as a conference, even before the 11/11 controversy. Obviously we're in no position to make a move now, but maybe could down the road if the guidelines are tweaked. We would only do it if we went as a league...definitely not on our own.

McTailGator
July 8th, 2008, 10:09 PM

McNeese was the ONLY SLC school that ever averaged enough REAL butts in the seat back when those schools all left for LaLaLand.

They had to sale tickets to companies that NEVER used them. AND build bigger 30K stadiums that they NEVER had a shot at filling (unless McNeese came to town like at Lafayette this past year).

We have out sold them all for years in season ticket sales and we will add another 25% to our total season tickets this year.

Our attendance has been hurt ever since the Hurricane year in 2005, but that will change this year, as we will probably average >15,000 this year. AND that will be a REAL average not a SunBelt or TxSU attendance count.

McNeese is really the ONLY SLC school that has a REAL shot at moving OVER to FBS. I am really having my doubts about TxSU unless they start having naked chearleading contests. Their Alumni and community just does not support their football program enough.

Student fees are great, but they count ASSes that purchased seats. Not the amount of student fees a program recieves.

NSUDemon98
July 9th, 2008, 09:44 AM
McNeese was the ONLY SLC school that ever averaged enough REAL butts in the seat back when those schools all left for LaLaLand.

They had to sale tickets to companies that NEVER used them. AND build bigger 30K stadiums that they NEVER had a shot at filling (unless McNeese came to town like at Lafayette this past year).

We have out sold them all for years in season ticket sales and we will add another 25% to our total season tickets this year.

Our attendance has been hurt ever since the Hurricane year in 2005, but that will change this year, as we will probably average >15,000 this year. AND that will be a REAL average not a SunBelt or TxSU attendance count.

McNeese is really the ONLY SLC school that has a REAL shot at moving OVER to FBS. I am really having my doubts about TxSU unless they start having naked chearleading contests. Their Alumni and community just does not support their football program enough.

Student fees are great, but they count ASSes that purchased seats. Not the amount of student fees a program recieves.

In football McNeese is the only school in the SLC that would have the best shot at meeting FBS requirements...but Northwestern is the only school of the Louisiana SLC universities that regularly competes in the other sports. You have to remember if you move up you will also have to meet Title IX requirements to go along with the extra scholarships.

Interestingly enough, out of all of the SLC schools NSU is traditionally the most competitive in football behind McNeese(yes, a distant 2nd) and I believe has the most wins over FBS schools. It wasn't that long ago that we had decent crowds and would avg. around 12,000 fans per year. That is way below the FBS req. but the greatest rivalries in the history of the school no longer play us...LaTech and ULM. The NSU vs. LaTech game at the state fair would bring in up to 40,000 at Independence Stadium.

NSUDemon98
July 9th, 2008, 09:55 AM

Think about if our annual football schedule included the likes of:
LaTech
UL-M
UL-L
McNeese
SFA

Our most traditional rivalries not every 4 years or so...but every year. That, combined with a winning product, might actually get our alumni from Alexandria/Pineville(around 6,000 alumni) and Shreveport/Bossier(around 10,000 alumni) to some home games.

McTailGator
July 10th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Think about if our annual football schedule included the likes of:
LaTech
UL-M
UL-L
McNeese
SFA

Our most traditional rivalries not every 4 years or so...but every year. That, combined with a winning product, might actually get our alumni from Alexandria/Pineville(around 6,000 alumni) and Shreveport/Bossier(around 10,000 alumni) to some home games.

Forget it...

That is the same lame ass excuse that ULL, ULM, UNT, Ark State, and now TxSU used or is using...

IF YOUR TEAM NEEDS TO DEPEND ON OTHER SCHOOLS TO VISIT YOUR STADIUM IN THE HOPES OF FILLING IT, THAN YOU ARE TOTALLY WASTING YOUR TIME.

In other words, If your fans want go fill your stadium to see YOUR TEAM. Than you can not count on them when your team loses 70% of it's games.

I'll say it again.

McNEESE IS THE ONLY SCHOOL EVEN REMOTELY CAPABLE OF MEETING (THE CURRENT) NCAA REQUIREMENTS. AND IT WOULD NOT BE EASY FOR US. BUT IT IS VERY POSSIBLE AND OUR FANS WOULD RALLY.

BUT WE LIKE REALITY SO WE WILL STAY WHERE WE ARE.

NSUDemon98
July 11th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Forget it...

That is the same lame ass excuse that ULL, ULM, UNT, Ark State, and now TxSU used or is using...

IF YOUR TEAM NEEDS TO DEPEND ON OTHER SCHOOLS TO VISIT YOUR STADIUM IN THE HOPES OF FILLING IT, THAN YOU ARE TOTALLY WASTING YOUR TIME.

In other words, If your fans want go fill your stadium to see YOUR TEAM. Than you can not count on them when your team loses 70% of it's games.

I'll say it again.

McNEESE IS THE ONLY SCHOOL EVEN REMOTELY CAPABLE OF MEETING (THE CURRENT) NCAA REQUIREMENTS. AND IT WOULD NOT BE EASY FOR US. BUT IT IS VERY POSSIBLE AND OUR FANS WOULD RALLY.

BUT WE LIKE REALITY SO WE WILL STAY WHERE WE ARE.

No, it isn't a lame ass excuse. And I am not saying to rely on "other teams fans". You honestly think our alumni would come to a game to see us play Texas State? or Sam Houston? Or would they be more interested in us playing ULM or ULL?

Didn't you and the rest of the Cowboys get all giddy as school girls when you got to actually play the Cajuns?

I just found it humorous on your New Southwest Conference that you included UTSA, who doesn't even field football, and TxSt who has had one winning season.

And you still would have to increase your stadium size to meet the NCAA requirements...and with putting in new field turf and a new field house there is no effing chance of getting the money to increase the stadium...at least from the state. So you're not as close to meeting the requirements as you think.

And lose the caps...it is rude...and you at times come across as some sort of "internet bad ass"...which you aren't. I don't care if dad was your teacher or not, I sure wouldn't let you shout at me in person if we were having this discussion.

furman94
July 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I say we move it here:

http://wakeforestfacilities.com/tour_virtual.htm

http://wakeforestfacilities.com/about.htm

Deacon Tower is supposed to be completed July 2008 (NOW)

LOOKS GREAT FOR US!

citdog
July 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
And lose the caps...it is rude...and you at times come across as some sort of "internet bad ass"...which you aren't. I don't care if dad was your teacher or not, I sure wouldn't let you shout at me in person if we were having this discussion.

BUT I WOULD!

I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY......THAT'S JUST MY GAME!