PDA

View Full Version : Times-Free Press "Road to Chattanooga" Coverage

chattanoogamocs
October 16th, 2005, 02:19 AM
The Times Free Press will once again be providing a full page of stories on IAA teams in it's weekly "Road to Chattanooga" coverage, building up to Championship Week. They are a great source of info for trying to increase the knowledge of the regions sports fans to the IAA world outside of the Southern Conference. It is just another part of Chattanooga's dedication to hosting the true College Football Championship.

This week has articles on Texas State and QB Barrick Nealy, the quick start of UT-Martin, and numerous "top 5" lists (teams, conference, payton candidates, surprise teams, disappoints, etc).

Since we have permission on Mocfans to reprint, I will post all the articles into a thread each Sunday morning and provide a link on AGS.

http://p197.ezboard.com/fmoctalkfrm3.showMessage?topicID=2407.topic

TheValleyRaider
October 16th, 2005, 09:01 AM
2. Holy Cross — The Crusaders (5-2) have one winning season in the past 12 years, but they shocked Lehigh 13-10 last week to put themselves in the mix for the Ivy League title.

D'oh! :bang:

Other than that, that's really cool that Chattanooga is trying to really embrace this championship. Hopefully some increased local interest can boost attendance and allow this to grow.

TxSt02
October 16th, 2005, 01:12 PM
i like what he says about Texas State!!!

lugo02
October 16th, 2005, 01:13 PM
5. Western Kentucky — The Hilltoppers (5-1) lost 37-34 in overtime at Illinois State last week, and they might have the toughest remaining schedule of any contender. But they’re tough, they’re talented and they’ve done it before.

TOP FIVE CONFERENCES
1. Atlantic 10 — Defending national champion James Madison leads the strongest top-to-bottom conference in IAA. Hofstra, Massaschusetts and New Hampshire can beat anyone in the country, and William and Mary beat UNH 42-10 last week. Don’t take Towson State or Delaware lightly, either.

3. Big Sky — Montana State, Eastern Washington, Montana State and Portland State all have a legitimate shot to win this once top-heavy league. Idaho State and Weber State provide legitimate depth.

errors

galojay
October 16th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I e-mailed the author about the WKU error. Hard to take the article serious with errors like that. Makes you question the guys I-AA knowledge.

chattanoogamocs
October 16th, 2005, 04:53 PM
i like what he says about Texas State!!!

They also had a really nice, big, color pic of Nealy.

Makes you question the guys I-AA knowledge.

C'mon, let's be realistic...I would love to live in a perfect world where no errors are ever made (3 or 4 mistakes, 2 of which were just editor errors on the proper names of the schools).

I am sure that even in the IAA.org preview magazine there are some errors (and they are the most knowledgable in IAA) ...its life...the guy who writes these is the head SoCon football writer for the paper, he is very knowledgable of the SoCon and neighboring conferences...but you can't expect everything to be perfect (although you obviously do :)) when you are trying to discuss IAA as a whole.

Not to mention the fact that the guy had to write his normal 8-10 stories this week for Mocs football...actually, the stuff at the bottom was probably researched by an intern...the error was not double checking everything...something that happens sometimes when you are facing Sunday deadline.

That is why the every newspaper has a place for "corrections"...it happens. I am sure Wes appreciates that you emailed him to let him know.

crunifan
October 16th, 2005, 05:07 PM
5. Northern Iowa — The No. 14 Panthers (4-2) were thought to be a nationaltitle contender but lost 24-21 at Missouri State last week and lost star quarterback Eric Sanders for the rest of the season with an ankle injury.

He is not lost for the rest of the season, and that one loss made us "bad enough" to be a top five dissapointing team? Yet SIU can lose and still be top five best? Wow...

galojay
October 16th, 2005, 06:59 PM
They also had a really nice, big, color pic of Nealy.

C'mon, let's be realistic...I would love to live in a perfect world where no errors are ever made (3 or 4 mistakes, 2 of which were just editor errors on the proper names of the schools).

I am sure that even in the IAA.org preview magazine there are some errors (and they are the most knowledgable in IAA) ...its life...the guy who writes these is the head SoCon football writer for the paper, he is very knowledgable of the SoCon and neighboring conferences...but you can't expect everything to be perfect (although you obviously do :)) when you are trying to discuss IAA as a whole.

Not to mention the fact that the guy had to write his normal 8-10 stories this week for Mocs football...actually, the stuff at the bottom was probably researched by an intern...the error was not double checking everything...something that happens sometimes when you are facing Sunday deadline.

That is why the every newspaper has a place for "corrections"...it happens. I am sure Wes appreciates that you emailed him to let him know.

Sorry, but the errors made are EASY to catch. I do expect ACCURATE information from newspapers. Sorry if that is expecting too much.

TigerFan17
October 17th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Calling us Towson State is not an "oops" error like mispelling a word. It is, IMO, just a lack of knowledge.

Towson changed its name from TSU to TU in the 90s...I mean come on...