PDA

View Full Version : Flashback: App St. 1999

Freeport
July 3rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Hello all,

I love the history of the game so I'm hoping for a good lesson. I'm a big Auburn fan and we replaced FSU with App St for our 99 opener. The score was close and I saw that the Mountaineers had a great regular seaosn but lost in the first round.

Any interesting memories or stories form this year? Did any of you see the AU game. It was Tubberville's first at AU.

On a sidenote, though I'm an AU fan, I love the game of college football and have nothing but love for all the divisions. I try to follow them all as close as I can. I've llurked here a while, just never have posted.

Thanks!

blueballs
July 3rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
App had a good team in 1999 and pretty much tripped over their dicks in the first round.

Their season highlight most likely was holding GSU to 16 points in a huge upset in Boone. GSU won the NC that year and averaged 50 ppg including the playoffs, so App's holding that offense to 14 points (2 came on a safety on a blocked punt) was a helluva accomplishment.

Jiggs
July 3rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Hello all,

I love the history of the game so I'm hoping for a good lesson. I'm a big Auburn fan and we replaced FSU with App St for our 99 opener. The score was close and I saw that the Mountaineers had a great regular seaosn but lost in the first round.

Any interesting memories or stories form this year? Did any of you see the AU game. It was Tubberville's first at AU.

On a sidenote, though I'm an AU fan, I love the game of college football and have nothing but love for all the divisions. I try to follow them all as close as I can. I've llurked here a while, just never have posted.

Thanks!

I'm an Auburn fan, too, and was at that game. My memory is fuzzy, but Auburn either held ASU to win the game at then end, or Auburn had to score at the end to win it. Very close game...Auburn was fortunate to win it.

The following summer I'm in Boone with my kids at Tweetsie Railroad, wearing an Auburn cap. Several Mountaineer fans reminded me how Auburn was lucky to get out of that game alive. I agreed.

Freeport
July 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback, good stuff.

AU beat Idaho the next game 30-23. Another squeeker, then a brutal beating of LSU in Baton Rouge the next game. Tough year for AU.

I;m curious about that FL A&M team that beat App. They lost to Youngstown in the semis, right?

813Jag
July 3rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback, good stuff.

AU beat Idaho the next game 30-23. Another squeeker, then a brutal beating of LSU in Baton Rouge the next game. Tough year for AU.

I;m curious about that FL A&M team that beat App. They lost to Youngstown in the semis, right?
That Florida A&M team was deadly on offense. Billy Joe had that team clicking. They lost to Youngstown by 3 and also beat Troy in the playoffs.

A sample of their scores 76-17, 66-10, 41-6, 48-19, 65-18 (against my 9-0 at the time alma mater), 63-14.

Freeport
July 3rd, 2008, 04:40 PM
fascinatingxnodx

Freeport
July 3rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
A&M and North Carolina A&T looked tough in the MEAC that year.

813Jag
July 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Hampton was pretty good that year as well. They played in the Heritage Bowl against Southern in 1999.

ASUMountaineer
Yeah, the biggest memory I have (I was a freshman that year) is the upset win over GSU. I remember being surprised at how close we kept the Auburn game and was equally surprised when we lost in the first round.

Freeport
65-18 (against my 9-0 at the time alma mater),

Tell me about the two games vs Hampton. I say that out of pure historical interest:)

This may turn into a 1999 thread for all teams.

813Jag
July 3rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Tell me about the two games vs Hampton. I say that out of pure historical interest:)

This may turn into a 1999 thread for all teams.
Those two games were different as night and day. Game one was played in the Circle City Classic, Southern won that game defensively. The Pirates moved the ball early but Southern pressured their QB all night. The Jags got a couple of easy scores. Game two was a complete 180 Hampton dominated most of the game. Southern was ripe for that loss, after beating Grambling and Jackson State in come from behind fashion. The two schools haven't played since.

gophoenix
July 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM

We beat A&T 41-7 that year. xbawlingx

IndianaAppMan
July 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Not only am I a proud App State alum, as the product of two Florida State grads, I've been a Florida State fan my whole life. I never knew ASU replaced FSU as Auburn's '99 opponent. Knowing that, man, do I wish App could've taken that game.

That was so weak on Auburn's part to back out of that game after firing Terry Bowden. They must have conveniently forgotten about his '93 undefeated season. I lost a lot of respect for AU that year for that. FSU came out okay anyway, though. They scrambled for a new opponent, settling on a waxing of La. Tech on their way to their second national title.:D

Jiggs
July 3rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

That was so weak on Auburn's part to back out of that game after firing Terry Bowden. They must have conveniently forgotten about his '93 undefeated season. I lost a lot of respect for AU that year for that.

1) Terry Bowden was not fired. He resigned mid-season, leaving his team floundering.

2) The AU-FSU meeting was scheduled as a father-son matchup. I think most AU fans would have preferred that AU go ahead and play FSU without Terry, but I think the athletic administration at Auburn wanted to give Tuberville a chance to have some success with a rebuilding-year team.

IndianaAppMan
July 3rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
1) Terry Bowden was not fired. He resigned mid-season, leaving his team floundering.

2) The AU-FSU meeting was scheduled as a father-son matchup. I think most AU fans would have preferred that AU go ahead and play FSU without Terry, but I think the athletic administration at Auburn wanted to give Tuberville a chance to have some success with a rebuilding-year team.

That's right, I forgot. Terry Bowden wasn't fired. He was FORCED out. Auburn's admin, not Terry Bowden, left the team floundering. That whole situation was ugly for everybody. That's why Auburn backed out of the game. They didn't want the team to be put in the awkward situation of facing the legendary coach whose son was just fired by them. After all, Auburn didn't pay FSU $500,000 (which back then meant more than it does now in these days of sky-high athletic budgets) just to do Tommy T. a favor.

In case you're interested, the schools seemed to have settled their differences: they're apparently scheduled for home-and-home 2010-11.

Jiggs
July 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
That's right, I forgot. Terry Bowden wasn't fired. He was FORCED out. Auburn's admin, not Terry Bowden, left the team floundering. That whole situation was ugly for everybody. That's why Auburn backed out of the game. They didn't want the team to be put in the awkward situation of facing the legendary coach whose son was just fired by them. After all, Auburn didn't pay FSU $500,000 (which back then meant more than it does now in these days of sky-high athletic budgets) just to do Tommy T. a favor.

In case you're interested, the schools seemed to have settled their differences: they're apparently scheduled for home-and-home 2010-11.

I disagree. FYI, I am an Auburn season ticket holder and have been for many years. 1) While there was certainly plenty of dissatisfaction with Terry Bowden among Auburn administration and fans, he was not forced out. He may have been forced out at the end of the season, but we will never know, will we? He took the cowards way out and left his team, the players he primarliy recruited, out on a limb. 2) I think Auburn did pay $500,000 just to do Tommy T. a favor. 3) I've never heard that there were any differences that needed to be settled between AU and FSU. The two schools have played periodically for years before any Bowden was at either school. That's news to me.

AppState
July 3rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
I'm a big Auburn fan.

It was Tubberville's first at AU.

BIG Auburn fans might know how to spell the coach's name correctly.

ElonPride
July 3rd, 2008, 11:31 PM

And Elon beat A&T 41-7 that year xsmiley_wix

phillyAPP
July 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Hello all,

Thanks!

I was at Auburn game. I just got my voice back. App kicked their A$$ like Michigan except the on the last drive when the AU QB kept throwing short passes. I knew they were setting up the DB and with 56 seconds left he made the throw and we could not go home with a win.

I was shocked the Auburn fans were SILENT the whole game. APP fans made all the noise. The best was hearing on the radio after the game all the WAR EAGLES cry how Tuberville stunk.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM
App had a good team in 1999 and pretty much tripped over their dicks in the first round.

Their season highlight most likely was holding GSU to 16 points in a huge upset in Boone. GSU won the NC that year and averaged 50 ppg including the playoffs, so App's holding that offense to 14 points (2 came on a safety on a blocked punt) was a helluva accomplishment.

Indeed...that has to be the best offense the FCS has ever seen. ASU fans might say they weren't that impressed with what they saw that day, but they need to realize that they could say the same thing about '96 Marshall (14 point game in Boone), and so could GSU's 4-7 team (16 point loss).

APPride
July 4th, 2008, 08:55 AM

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

hands down one of the greatest App games I have ever attended !

My son was 6 at the time and one of my favorite pictures is him standing next to the goal post "stump" in front of the scoreboard after the game...

lillycafe
July 4th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Hello all,

Thanks!

I was at that game at Auburn in 1999. What a great time. Got to see Tiger walk and the whole deal. ASU should have won and if they had Tommy T. would no longer be at Auburn, IMO. We certainly did lay an egg against FAMU though. Speed kills and FAMU had it.

HiHiYikas
July 4th, 2008, 10:29 AM
That was my Junior year. I was working at a church down the mountain, and took my youth group to Atlanta that weekend. We were attending a Braves game that day. The Auburn-Appalachian score kept flashing on the boards at Turner Field.

I was also at an MLB game the day of the ASU-Michigan game. Maybe I should get some O's or Nats tickets for August 30.

Between my church and my then-girlfriend (now wife), both of which were about 35 miles down the mountain from Boone, I spent a lot of my weekends away from Boone.

I bought her a student guest ticket for to the GaSo game in 1999 - for some reason, we decided to hang out at home and didn't drive up the mountain. She's become quite an ASU fan since then, and wouldn't think of trying to talk me out of going to a game.

When I made some farewell comments at my last Baptist Student Union meeting, I said "I have only two regrets about my time at ASU. I'll share them with you in hopes that you don't make the same mistakes I did. When Georgia Southern plays in Boone, be there. When Bela Fleck plays in Boone, be there. That's all I have to say."

AppDawg
July 4th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Not only is it the speed that A&M had in '99 but it might have been our first introduction to the no-huddle offense. That game was my first playoff experience as I was a freshman. I have vivid memories of A&M snapping the ball time after time prior to the Mountaineer defense getting into position and lining up. That is the most confused and lost I have ever seen a Jerry Moore team.

Now that this game has been brought up, I wonder how much Coach Moore used this game to motivate him to switch our current spread/no-huddle offense?

Freeport
July 4th, 2008, 12:28 PM

We're scheduled to play Clemson those years

Freeport
July 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM
BIG Auburn fans might know how to spell the coach's name correctly.

Thanksxthumbsupx

Freeport
July 4th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Can anyone tell me about the Tennessee State team from that year. I see they ran the table then lost to A&T in round 1.

Thanks for the great discussion folks. This is an excellent board.

AlphaSigMD
July 4th, 2008, 02:55 PM
That Florida A&M team was deadly on offense. Billy Joe had that team Cheating. They lost to Youngstown by 3 and also beat Troy in the playoffs.

A sample of their scores 76-17, 66-10, 41-6, 48-19, 65-18 (against my 9-0 at the time alma mater), 63-14.

I'm not a big fan of this gimmick, but I figured I would help you out just this once.xthumbsupx

I-AA Fan
July 4th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Ahh yes, 1999 ...the good old days when we did not have to put up with so many useless App State threads, as maybe their fan base realized they could post on a board of their own.

mountaineertider
July 4th, 2008, 03:29 PM
If you don't like it don't read it. Coming into this topic you knew it would be about ASU, so why waste your time reading it if your sick of App stuff?

Skjellyfetti
July 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Ahh yes, 1999 ...the good old days when we did not have to put up with so many useless App State threads, as maybe their fan base realized they could post on a board of their own.

Hello all,

Thanks!

Original poster is an Auburn fan.

813Jag
July 4th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Not only is it the speed that A&M had in '99 but it might have been our first introduction to the no-huddle offense. That game was my first playoff experience as I was a freshman. I have vivid memories of A&M snapping the ball time after time prior to the Mountaineer defense getting into position and lining up. That is the most confused and lost I have ever seen a Jerry Moore team.

Now that this game has been brought up, I wonder how much Coach Moore used this game to motivate him to switch our current spread/no-huddle offense?
You want to know what's funny, FAMU didn't start running that offense until the end of the '95 season. Southern was running a variation of that offense and put up 52 on them. The two teams played again in the Heritage Bowl and they were running that offense. It always gave us trouble whenever the two teams played. They used lots of short passes and they had good wideouts.

813Jag
July 4th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Can anyone tell me about the Tennessee State team from that year. I see they ran the table then lost to A&T in round 1.

Thanks for the great discussion folks. This is an excellent board.
The only thing I know about TSU was that they had a good coach in L.C. Cole and a great QB, Leon Murray.

Peems
July 6th, 2008, 03:20 AM
That was my Junior year. I was working at a church down the mountain, and took my youth group to Atlanta that weekend. We were attending a Braves game that day. The Auburn-Appalachian score kept flashing on the boards at Turner Field.

I was also at an MLB game the day of the ASU-Michigan game. Maybe I should get some O's or Nats tickets for August 30.

Between my church and my then-girlfriend (now wife), both of which were about 35 miles down the mountain from Boone, I spent a lot of my weekends away from Boone.

I bought her a student guest ticket for to the GaSo game in 1999 - for some reason, we decided to hang out at home and didn't drive up the mountain. She's become quite an ASU fan since then, and wouldn't think of trying to talk me out of going to a game.

When I made some farewell comments at my last Baptist Student Union meeting, I said "I have only two regrets about my time at ASU. I'll share them with you in hopes that you don't make the same mistakes I did. When Georgia Southern plays in Boone, be there. When Bela Fleck plays in Boone, be there. That's all I have to say."

Bela Fleck is coming to Helena, I'll be therexthumbsupx

AppMan
July 6th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Freeport,

I attended that game and it truly was an instance where ASU snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. ASU used a short passing game and solid defense to hold the AU offense to just over 50 yards 1st half yards and the Mountaineers took a 12-7 lead at halftime. The game was tied at 15 with 38 seconds left in the game when AU hooked up for a 33 yard TD pass to win it. What I remember most was ASU leaving at least 19 points on the field with a fumble by our RB as he was diving into the endzone for a TD in the 1st quarter. Two missed PAT's, a missed chip shot FG, and a sure thing short TD pass that was dropped at the 3 yard line by a true freshman RB with nobody around him. The final TD drive by the Tigers covered 93 yards, but almost didn't happen. On 2nd down from near AU's 15, AU's was in the shotgun and in the middle of changing plays when the center snapped the ball past the QB. I swear that ball laid on the ground for what seemed to be an eternity. An AU palyer beat our guy to it by a split second at the 7 yard line. Later in the drive our CB cut his knee badly on the AU sideline covering a pass play when a spike holding down the white material marking AU's players box came out during a tackle. Two plays later the Tigers burned the same guy for the long TD pass. The kid (L.J. Brooks) could barely walk and I will always wonder why we didn't take him out of the game. ASU had 50 more yards of total offense and 5 more minutes time of possession. But stats don't win football games. The Auburn people were extremely gracious after the game. most saying they didn't deserve to win. It is one of the very few FBS places I've been where the fans didn't talk trash and were very complimentary of our team and effort. Our family was treated so well by the Auburn folks I became a Tiger fan that night.

AppMan
July 6th, 2008, 07:23 AM

None. Former OC Rob best suggested mixing the spread into our offense in the spring of 2003 after a good friend (who was the OC at Clemson) told him they were experimenting with it. JM rejected the idea and Rob left shortly after. Through the first 8 games of the 2003 season ASU's offense averaged a whopping 18 points per game and after loosing 24-14 to Wofford, ASU stood at 4-4 and had to do something about the offense. The decision was made to open up the offense and the the Apps averaged 35 points per game over the last three games to finish 7-4. JM experimented with the spread during the spring of 2004 and put it in as our primary offense. However, after getting smoked by Wyoming 53-7 in the opener he almost ditched it. Scott Satterfield convinced him to keep it as part of the offense and Richie Williams emerged as a perfect QB for the offense. That 2004 season ended at a mediocre 6-5 and many internal issues in the program that had a lot of people wondering if JM should keep his job. The 2005 season started with a lot hanging over JM's head. He was in the last year of his contract with no extension in sight, an interim AD who had signed two games against 1-A opponents (Kansas & LSU), and a new chancellor who wanted big things for the athletic program. As they say.. you know the rest of the story.

Jerbearasu
July 6th, 2008, 07:56 AM
None. Former OC Rob best suggested mixing the spread into our offense in the spring of 2003 after a good friend (who was the OC at Clemson) told him they were experimenting with it. JM rejected the idea and Rob left shortly after. Through the first 8 games of the 2003 season ASU's offense averaged a whopping 18 points per game and after loosing 24-14 to Wofford, ASU stood at 4-4 and had to do something about the offense. The decision was made to open up the offense and the the Apps averaged 35 points per game over the last three games to finish 7-4. JM experimented with the spread during the spring of 2004 and put it in as our primary offense. However, after getting smoked by Wyoming 53-7 in the opener he almost ditched it. Scott Satterfield convinced him to keep it as part of the offense and Richie Williams emerged as a perfect QB for the offense. That 2004 season ended at a mediocre 6-5 and many internal issues in the program that had a lot of people wondering if JM should keep his job. The 2005 season started with a lot hanging over JM's head. He was in the last year of his contract with no extension in sight, an interim AD who had signed two games against 1-A opponents (Kansas & LSU), and a new chancellor who wanted big things for the athletic program. As they say.. you know the rest of the story.

I wasn't aware that it was Best that suggested using the spread attack. That is really surprising bc he was the most conservative OC I've seen. The playcalling really used to tick me off and I thought it was his O that was keeping our teams back. I think Charlie Cobb was a huge blessing and really helped bring about these championships though. The athletic department never really cared about talking things over with the football coaching staff until Charlie got there. He really opened things up and gave JM what he needed to succeed.

Plus the revamping of the tailgating brought fans back to the games (granted I think the departure of Laney was just as much of a driving force in that as anything). I believe in the 04 season we averaged right around 16k, in 2005 before we had even won the championship we averaged over 20k. That's a 25% increase over night coming off a horrible season by ASU standards...

AppDawg
July 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I wasn't aware that it was Best that suggested using the spread attack. That is really surprising bc he was the most conservative OC I've seen. The playcalling really used to tick me off and I thought it was his O that was keeping our teams back....

I too find it surprising that Mr. Run, Run, Pass (on 3rd & short) or Run (on 3rd & long) wanted to switch to the spread. Seems out of character.

AppMan
July 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I wasn't aware that it was Best that suggested using the spread attack. That is really surprising bc he was the most conservative OC I've seen. The playcalling really used to tick me off and I thought it was his O that was keeping our teams back. I think Charlie Cobb was a huge blessing and really helped bring about these championships though. The athletic department never really cared about talking things over with the football coaching staff until Charlie got there. He really opened things up and gave JM what he needed to succeed.

Plus the revamping of the tailgating brought fans back to the games (granted I think the departure of Laney was just as much of a driving force in that as anything). I believe in the 04 season we averaged right around 16k, in 2005 before we had even won the championship we averaged over 20k. That's a 25% increase over night coming off a horrible season by ASU standards...

Rob was only calling plays in relationship to what JM expected. JM changed a lot of plays sent down from the booth. Remember all the penalties and timeouts because the play clock ran out? Ever wonder why?

The previous athletic administration took very little interest in such things. Cobb, got the ball rolling on the game day experience and the success of football team took it to yhe level it is today. Most, if not all, of the credit goes to Ken Peacock. His vision and leadership paved the way for all of this. Besides, he is the person who got rid of Laney and hired Cobb.

SoCon48
July 7th, 2008, 09:06 AM
They're going to start on basketball in a few years.

mountaineertider
July 7th, 2008, 09:54 AM
They're going to start on basketball in a few years.

Adios Houston? xeyebrowx.

OR will his job get threatened, then we pull a Davidson?

Rekdiver
July 7th, 2008, 11:15 AM
If that's what it takes then threaten him now. Jerry's got it done with incredible assistants. This will be the last year we have this group together. Too many good higher paying jobs out there for our guys.

Houston is solid person but we just aren't recruiting the talent we should to be something more than Norther Division Champion. He needs to step back and search his soul and make some changes. Until we get to the "Dance" with consistancy we don't have a big time hoops program.

WileECoyote06
July 7th, 2008, 11:32 AM
The only thing I know about TSU was that they had a good coach in L.C. Cole and a great QB, Leon Murray.

If I'm not mistaken, Leon Murray was injured during the last regular season game for the Tigers; and A & T took full advantage in the playoffs.

Does anyone know if that was the only time a #1 seed has been defeated by a #16 seed?

SoCon48
July 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Rob was only calling plays in relationship to what JM expected. JM changed a lot of plays sent down from the booth. Remember all the penalties and timeouts because the play clock ran out? Ever wonder why?

The previous athletic administration took very little interest in such things. Cobb, got the ball rolling on the game day experience and the success of football team took it to yhe level it is today. Most, if not all, of the credit goes to Ken Peacock. His vision and leadership paved the way for all of this. Besides, he is the person who got rid of Laney and hired Cobb.

Wonder why that still doesn't happen? Jerry's still there. I noticed we call one at the beginning of the first possession of each game or often after we get a turnover and a bunch of dorks start screaming. It's a smart move in a no huddle so as to to give the QB an idea of the plays and strategy in upcoming series after seeing the defense and field position rather than relying on signals and not being able to give reminders.
Too, a lot of those same dorks scream when we have a long count while AE is reading the defense and audibly changing plays. They have some goofy idea that the entire strategy of the no huddle was merely to catch the defense before they have time to line up after the ball is placed.