PDA

View Full Version : West Georgia to FCS?

TexasTerror
July 2nd, 2008, 06:54 PM
West Georgia is building a 9,000-seat football stadium — the current Grisham Stadium seats 6,000 — and the ever-growing enrollment is expected to top 11,000 this fall. The athletic facilities building boom is expected by school officials to spur enrollment to 15,000. Those numbers, in turn, are expected to drive the Wolves from Division II to the door of Football Championship Subdivision, formerly I-AA.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=building-and-rebuilding-taking-place-at-&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Could West Georgia be on their way up to FCS when the moratorium passes us by? Would this be a potential Big South school? Ohio Valley, maybe?

Seven Would Be Nice
July 2nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
They can take our place in the SoCon as we will be leaving. :D

dbackjon
July 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
UWG in the OVC would make JSU happy. As long as they don't bolt to FBS when the moratorium is lifted.

slostang
July 2nd, 2008, 08:46 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=building-and-rebuilding-taking-place-at-&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Could West Georgia be on their way up to FCS when the moratorium passes us by? Would this be a potential Big South school? Ohio Valley, maybe?

There not in the west, but the GWFC would be more than happy to have them.

dgreco
July 2nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
Big South would make sense, especially if some movement happens and SBU ends up back north.

zilla
July 2nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
WGU to the Big South would make sense. We need more football programs. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see them land in the OVC. Their location is closer to schools like Jacksonville State, Tenn State, Tenn Tech, Austin Peay, etc.

Of course, location is not a factor with Kyle Kallender, the BSC commissioner (see Stony Brook). :D

gophoenix
July 2nd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Where would Stony Brook go up North with 63 scholarships?

And would West Georgia fit in an already stuffed OVC?

dbackjon
July 3rd, 2008, 12:53 AM
And would West Georgia fit in an already stuffed OVC?

OVC is at 10 (9 football) with Samford's departure. SIU-E makes it 11, leaving room for one more.

BearsCountry
July 3rd, 2008, 01:10 AM
OVC is at 10 (9 football) with Samford's departure. SIU-E makes it 11, leaving room for one more.

Would the OVC want 10 fb members though?

gophoenix
July 3rd, 2008, 06:39 AM
Would the OVC want 10 fb members though?

Exactly my point. And there is always talk of them pulling Morehead St back, so you never know.

Syntax Error
July 3rd, 2008, 06:50 AM
West Georgia is a good fit for the FCS. Bring on the Wolves!

Cocky
July 3rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
North Alabama is also studing FCS. TUNA would be a better location fit.

Syntax Error
July 3rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
North Alabama is also studing FCS. TUNA would be a better location fit.http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/JBLISS7/REOTF.jpg

JaxSinfonian
July 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
UWG in the OVC would make JSU happy.

Eh. Sure, it's an easy trip, but I don't think anyone in Jacksonville is going to get really excited about playing West Georgia.

The Wolves' new stadium will allow them to stop borrowing the local high school's field. And 9,000 seats? We're looking at (an admittedly uneeded) expansion to 20,000.

It would be nice to have a school in the league closer to us than Tennessee Tech, but North Alabama would make us much, much happier. They're a stronger football program, have a long history with us, and have fans who used to travel here in big numbers.

Sadly, I think UWG is farther along in the process of a move than UNA, which has only recently commissioned a study.

Worth noting: Within the next 10 years, there could be three new DI football teams in western Georgia, where today there are none: Kennesaw State, Georgia State and West Georgia. All are less than 50 miles from each other, and all are within a 60-90 minute drive from Jacksonville (see below). Throw in UNA, and that could be a tight nucleus for a new regional conference if this FBS thing doesn't work out for us. Anyone got ideas for other members?

http://myweb.cableone.net/jax42/al-ga-teams.jpg

jaxstatealum
July 3rd, 2008, 08:16 AM
Tuna would be a better fit for us; however, I would love to see UWG in the OVC. They'd be a good whipping post for the departed Bullpups of Samford. :D

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Eh. Sure, it's an easy trip, but I don't think anyone in Jacksonville is going to get really excited about playing West Georgia.

The Wolves' new stadium will allow them to stop borrowing the local high school's field. And 9,000 seats? We're looking at (an admittedly uneeded) expansion to 20,000.

It would be nice to have a school in the league closer to us than Tennessee Tech, but North Alabama would make us much, much happier. They're a stronger football program, have a long history with us, and have fans who used to travel here in big numbers.

Sadly, I think UWG is farther along in the process of a move than UNA, which has only recently commissioned a study.

Worth noting: Within the next 10 years, there could be three new DI football teams in western Georgia, where today there are none: Kennesaw State, Georgia State and West Georgia. All are less than 50 miles from each other, and all are within a 60-90 minute drive from Jacksonville (see below). Throw in UNA, and that could be a tight nucleus for a new regional conference if this FBS thing doesn't work out for us. Anyone got ideas for other members?

http://myweb.cableone.net/jax42/al-ga-teams.jpg

Tuskegee?

813Jag
July 3rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Tuskegee?
I doubt they leave D-II, if they did, they would probably go SWAC. Since their biggest rival is there.

Purple Pride
July 3rd, 2008, 11:50 AM
UWG can't even raise the funds to build a stadium.

They won't be able to afford a move for a while.

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
How did Cent. Ark. move up from DII so quickly then? Seems like one day they were a solid GSC team with UNA and UWG and the next day they're a full Southland member with Sam Houston and Texas State.

Why couldn't either UNA or UWG move up just as quickly?

Sly Fox
July 3rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Keep in mind that the Big South gains Presby as a full member the year Stony Brook's contract ends. So the Big South won't be desperately seeking new members unless there are departures to the FBS or elsewhere.

lizrdgizrd
July 3rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Keep in mind that the Big South gains Presby as a full member the year Stony Brook's contract ends. So the Big South won't be desperately seeking new members unless there are departures to the FBS or elsewhere.
But they'll only be at 6 FB schools if SB leaves, right?

Purple Pride
July 4th, 2008, 08:43 AM
How did Cent. Ark. move up from DII so quickly then? Seems like one day they were a solid GSC team with UNA and UWG and the next day they're a full Southland member with Sam Houston and Texas State.

Why couldn't either UNA or UWG move up just as quickly?UWG solid??????

They've won 3 games in the last 2 years.xlolx xnodx