PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season All-Ivy League Team

Smendy
July 2nd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Decent link for us fans of the Ivy League...DD.com names their All-Ivy Team (in today's blog notes), then looks at the league's top 6 NFL prospects, according to scouts:

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

Random thoughts:

**Good job on their part. But as a Yale fan, I think they have way too many Harvard players on both their lists xpeacex

**I think taking Tyson Maugle over Columbia's Alex Gross and Penn's Chris Wynn is "shaky", but......

**Luke Silwa of Cornell is a bit of a reach, but word is he could be back to his old form after the injury. I would've gone with the scat back from Dartmouth.

**If I was doing that list, I would've found a place from Princeton super-recruit Jon Meyers, who was offered a free ride by several top 10 schools, but wanted the Ivy challenge (academics wise). No reason to think he can't be another Zak DeOssie -- start and make a impact right off the bat.

**They seem to have good NFL sources, but I'm not even sure if Desmond Bryant will play for Harvard this year. He's big and real athletic, but last I saw it was uncertain if he would return?

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Decent link for us fans of the Ivy League...DD.com names their All-Ivy Team (in today's blog notes), then looks at the league's top 6 NFL prospects, according to scouts:

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

Random thoughts:

**Good job on their part. But as a Yale fan, I think they have way too many Harvard players on both their lists xpeacex

**I think taking Tyson Maugle over Columbia's Alex Gross and Penn's Chris Wynn is "shaky", but......

**Luke Silwa of Cornell is a bit of a reach, but word is he could be back to his old form after the injury. I would've gone with the scat back from Dartmouth.

**If I was doing that list, I would've found a place from Princeton super-recruit Jon Meyers, who was offered a free ride by several top 10 schools, but wanted the Ivy challenge (academics wise). No reason to think he can't be another Zak DeOssie -- start and make a impact right off the bat.

**They seem to have good NFL sources, but I'm not even sure if Desmond Bryant will play for Harvard this year. He's big and real athletic, but last I saw it was uncertain if he would return?

Good list. Bryant is definitely a 1st teamer if he plays. You have to take chances and make bold predictions in the pre-season and DD.com did that.

Have to disagree on Meyers. I hate putting players on pre-season lists who have done nothing to warrant it. If you are going to do it then put them on the 2nd team. Too many over hyped freshman don't make it to go out on a limb and automatically put them among the elite in their conference.

Smendy
July 2nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Good list. Bryant is definitely a 1st teamer if he plays. You have to take chances and make bold predictions in the pre-season and DD.com did that.

Have to disagree on Meyers. I hate putting players on pre-season lists who have done nothing to warrant it. If you are going to do it then put them on the 2nd team. Too many over hyped freshman don't make it to go out on a limb and automatically put them among the elite in their conference.

Good points Small College Fan.....I got some serious flashbacks (negative ones) when you brought up the over-hyped freshman. I immediately thought of 2006 Yale recruit Matt Kelleher, who was actually ranked by Rivals.com and got some attention from lower rung FBS schools. I thought we had or next star quarterback, or, at the very least, the next Chris Hetherington or Eric Johnson (Ivy League super athlete on offense) and look at what he's done so far?

http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kelleher_matt00.html

I guess it's no big deal, as Matt will go onto bigger and better things off the field, but you have a point.

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Good points Small College Fan.....I got some serious flashbacks (negative ones) when you brought up the over-hyped freshman. I immediately thought of 2006 Yale recruit Matt Kelleher, who was actually ranked by Rivals.com and got some attention from lower rung FBS schools. I thought we had or next star quarterback, or, at the very least, the next Chris Hetherington or Eric Johnson (Ivy League super athlete on offense) and look at what he's done so far?

http://yalebulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kelleher_matt00.html

I guess it's no big deal, as Matt will go onto bigger and better things off the field, but you have a point.

Hopefully DD.com does some other conferences. Maybe the Big Sky, SWAC, SoCon, or CAA who have put a lot of good players in the NFL in recent years.

Green26
July 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Dartmouth safety Ian Wilson should be on the list. He's a great player. After being 2nd team all-Ivy in '06, he was hurt early in the season in '07. He's very good player and incredibly hard hitter, as good or perhaps better of a hitter than Dartmouth's famous Murry Bowden '71. Weighs about 200. Wilson is a national caliber rugby player too. Love his no. 26 too. Here's a blurb on him from a year ago:

"Co-Captain...Two-time All-Ivy League selection (second team in 2006, honorable mention in 2005)...Needs 85 tackles to carve his name onto Dartmouth’s all-time, top-10 list...One of the hardest hitters in the conference...A quiet leader who will inspire by his actions this fall...A standout on the Dartmouth rugby team...One of three Loyola High players on the football roster (Casey Frost, Jonathan Summers)."

Cleets
July 2nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
DD.com's All-Ivy League Pre-Season Team = Link: http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

QB Chris Pizzotti ~ Harvard

RB Mike McLeod ~ Yale

RB Luke Siwula ~ Cornell

WR Matt Luft ~ Harvard (Jr.)

WR Austin Knowlin ~ Columbia (Jr.)

TE Colin Cloherty ~ Brown

OL James Williams ~ Harvard (Jr.)

OL Darius Dale ~ Yale

OL Alex Rapp ~ Dartmouth

OL Stephen Morse ~ Yale

OL Ryan Pilconis ~ Harvard

DL Peter Ajayi ~ Harvard

DL Phillip Mitchell ~ Columbia

DL Jim Develin ~ Brown (Jr.)

DL Desmond Bryant ~ Harvard

LB Bobby Abare ~ Yale

LB Drew Quinn ~ Columbia

LB Jason Colabella ~ Penn

DB Andrew Berry ~ Harvard

DB Tyson Maugle ~ Penn

DB Tim Bax ~ Cornell

DB Steve Santoro ~ Yale

These are the Top 6 Ivy League N.F.L. Prospects, according to our league sources:

QB Chris Pizzotti, (6'5", 225), Harvard

FB Colin Cloherty, (6'2", 235), Brown

LB Jason Colabella, (6'1", 225), Penn

OT Ryan Pilconis, (6'6", 295), Harvard

DT Desmond Bryant, (6'5", 290), Harvard

RB Mike McCleod, (5'10", 200), Yale

DD.comment: At this point, Harvard quarterback Chris Pizzotti is the only player noted above that is widely regarded as a likely draft pick and his is early projection is as a 5th to 7th round prospect.

Cleets
July 2nd, 2008, 02:46 PM

Tell me more...
Desmond is a key DL (Yikes..!!)

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
DD.com's All-Ivy League Pre-Season Team

QB Chris Pizzotti ~ Harvard

RB Mike McLeod ~ Yale

RB Luke Siwula ~ Cornell

WR Matt Luft ~ Harvard (Jr.)

WR Austin Knowlin ~ Columbia (Jr.)

TE Colin Cloherty ~ Brown

OL James Williams ~ Harvard (Jr.)

OL Darius Dale ~ Yale

OL Alex Rapp ~ Dartmouth

OL Stephen Morse ~ Yale

OL Ryan Pilconis ~ Harvard

DL Peter Ajayi ~ Harvard

DL Phillip Mitchell ~ Columbia

DL Jim Develin ~ Brown (Jr.)

DL Desmond Bryant ~ Harvard

LB Bobby Abare ~ Yale

LB Drew Quinn ~ Columbia

LB Jason Colabella ~ Penn

DB Andrew Berry ~ Harvard

DB Tyson Maugle ~ Penn

DB Tim Bax ~ Cornell

DB Steve Santoro ~ Yale

These are the Top 6 Ivy League N.F.L. Prospects, according to our league sources:

QB Chris Pizzotti, (6'5", 225), Harvard

FB Colin Cloherty, (6'2", 235), Brown

LB Jason Colabella, (6'1", 225), Penn

OT Ryan Pilconis, (6'6", 295), Harvard

DT Desmond Bryant, (6'5", 290), Harvard

RB Mike McCleod, (5'10", 200), Yale

DD.comment: At this point, Harvard quarterback Chris Pizzotti is the only player noted above that is widely regarded as a likely draft pick and his is early projection is as a 5th to 7th round prospect.

Not sure but I think you could be in violation here. I was told in the past that entire articles from other links should not be posted. It takes away hits from the board to their website and thus takes away credit for something they did. If I ran DD.com I would be a little upset at people posting the content without a link.

Smendy
July 2nd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Cleets, I've read on Draft Daddy that the NFL has Bryant ranked as a potential prospect -- free agent type -- and I read elsewhere he'd like to play this season. But he's not on the Crimson's roster right now, so who knows how that will shake out? Harvard should have a great defense regardless. I wish I had more info, but googling his name yields little.

Green 26, Ian Wilson is an outstanding athlete. Sort of reminds me of former Columbia star Tad Crawford, who's a good CFL player...He's definitely a player that deserves some praise.

Small College fan, thanks for the replies. It would be great if they did something like that for all the FCS confrences.....I'd particularly like to see their info on the East Coast schools that I follow so closely.

Cleets
July 2nd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Not sure but I think you could be in violation here. I was told in the past that entire articles from other links should not be posted. It takes away hits from the board to their website and thus takes away credit for something they did. If I ran DD.com I would be a little upset at people posting the content without a link.

added link... sorry xpeacex

smallcollegefbfan
July 2nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
added link... sorry xpeacex

Well now it has fallen to the bottom of the page haha. I wasn't trying to be mean about it. Just pointing out something I was reprimanded for before and didn't want you to get in trouble as well.