PDA

View Full Version : Erskine, Winthrop Ponder (FCS?) Programs

Lehigh Football Nation
July 1st, 2008, 09:05 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=erskine-winthrop-ponder-fcs-programs&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

As new teams spring up in the Southeast, two S.C. schools tackle the feasibility of adding football, including Divison I Winthrop.

Benedict College scoffed at the cynics and launched the bring-back-football idea in this area. At a time when some schools cited the game’s expenses and dropped the sport, the Tigers’ administration embraced the concept of starting a program.

Pretty soon, North Greenville and Coastal Carolina joined the parade, and the trend spread across campuses faster than fire ants. UNC Pembroke, Brevard and Campbell in North Carolina, Huntington in Alabama and Shorter in Georgia have taken the plunge in recent years.

The next domino to fall could be Erskine, the small Associate Reformed Presbyterian school in Due West that is conducting a football feasibility study.

In addition, Winthrop, in Rock Hill, has looked into the possibility of adding football, released its report last August and “is in a holding mode,” director of athletics Tom Hickman said.

xeyebrowx

Erskine is looking to D-II. However... this is news on the Winthrop front. Are they looking for membership in the PFL (like most of the Atlantic Sun members have)?

furman94
July 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM
Winthrop would, IMO, go to the Big South... wouldn't they?

TexasTerror
July 1st, 2008, 09:22 PM
Winthrop would, IMO, go to the Big South... wouldn't they?

Not if they wanted to go the non-scholly route. Campbell isn't too far from Winthrop now, is it? Jacksonville is not too bad either from there...

g-webb1994
July 1st, 2008, 10:18 PM
If Winthrop goes the pigskin route, they won't go non-scholly, their President as much has said so in the past. Campbell/Davidson will be a natural non-scholly rivalry. Erskine? Ever been to Due West? It makes Boiling Springs look like Charlotte in comparison!xlolx xnodx xrotatehx

As for the Atlantic Sun, outside of Campbell and Jacksonville, nobody has football, unless ETSU signs up for football again, in which case, I wouldn't be surprised if they bolt the A-Sun for the Big South or OVC.

IndianaAppMan
July 1st, 2008, 11:35 PM
I happen to believe that football shouldn't be at every last college in the United States. For example, when my brother was an undergrad at the College of Charleston, he managed to have plenty of fun between the beach, the music scene, the party scene, the ladies (who outnumbered guys 7 to 1 at the time), and, oh yeah, his schoolwork. He and just about everyone there had a great time without football. I've always thought Winthrop was another one of those schools. With Charlotte around the corner and the arts scene giving so much for students to do, I never thought there was a sense of void ther because football wasn't there. As for Erskine, my goodness. They might actually have to put up a stoplight or two in Due West if they get football!

That reminds of a question I've wondered about since I was a young lad in Greenville, SC: DUE WEST OF WHAT?????

CID1990
July 2nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
I happen to believe that football shouldn't be at every last college in the United States. For example, when my brother was an undergrad at the College of Charleston, he managed to have plenty of fun between the beach, smoking dope, having Mommy and Daddy pay his bail, taking sloppy seconds from Cadets, and, oh yeah, his schoolwork. He and just about everyone there had a great time without football. I've always thought Winthrop was another one of those schools. With Charlotte around the corner and the arts scene giving so much for students to do, I never thought there was a sense of void ther because football wasn't there. As for Erskine, my goodness. They might actually have to put up a stoplight or two in Due West if they get football!

That reminds of a question I've wondered about since I was a young lad in Greenville, SC: DUE WEST OF WHAT?????

Accuracy. xthumbsupx

The Cats
July 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
If Winthrop goes the pigskin route, they won't go non-scholly....

Winthrop tries to keep up with their northern neighbor..... UNC-C

WCU LawCat
July 2nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
I didn't read the article but live near Winthrop. Winthrop could do it. The study they did said they needed about 14 of 15 million dollars in order to start a team with 8,000 seat FCS stadium. They also said that the school was not going to fund any of the money and that it would have to come from donations.

Death Dealer
July 2nd, 2008, 07:28 PM

Ninety-six.xnodx I know, WTF is ninety-six? xlolx

Death Dealer
July 2nd, 2008, 07:28 PM

AppMan
July 2nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Please don't tell John Iamarino!

g-webb1994
July 2nd, 2008, 10:51 PM

Actually, in respect to Ninety-Six, two Revolutionary War battles were fought there, and it is a National Historic Site.

Death Dealer
July 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=Death Dealer;1004340]

Actually, in respect to Ninety-Six, two Revolutionary War battles were fought there, and it is a National Historic Site.

Yes, that is correct. And you know that and I know that, and even money that Citdog knows that, but that might be it for the AGS community, and pretty close to it for the rest of the world. (excluding those poor souls who live there) xlolx

IndianaAppMan
July 3rd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Yes, that is correct. And you know that and I know that, and even money that Citdog knows that, but that might be it for the AGS community, and pretty close to it for the rest of the world. (excluding those poor souls who live there) xlolx

Due West... Ninety-Six... who comes up with these names?

Some of my other favorite oddball names for towns:
North, South Carolina
Pomaria, which is down the road from Prosperity, SC
Lizard Lick, NC
Here in Indiana, we have the towns of Brazil, Peru, Mexico, and Kokomo!

Yeah, I know... this is a bit off topic xoopsx

SoCon48
July 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM

Good thing they didn't get the numbers backward.

OL FU
July 3rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Due West... Ninety-Six... who comes up with these names?

Some of my other favorite oddball names for towns:
North, South Carolina
Pomaria, which is down the road from Prosperity, SC
Lizard Lick, NC
Here in Indiana, we have the towns of Brazil, Peru, Mexico, and Kokomo!

Yeah, I know... this is a bit off topic xoopsx

Ninety six is easy. It was 96 miles south of the southern capital of the Cherokee nation, Keoweexnodx

Don't for get Pumpkintown, SC.
http://www.darkfiber.com/tomb/cemeteries/oolenoySC/pumpkintown.jpg

Sly Fox
July 3rd, 2008, 11:21 AM
Everyone in the Big South would love to see the Eagles add football. But there are a number of factors that come into play similar to CofC. The female-to-male ratio of the school makes Title IX compliance extremely difficult.

And to be honest, if UNC-Charlotte passes on football once again then I believe there is a real possibility of Winthrop stepping up to fill the hole in that marketplace for Division I football.

But we are talking 5-6 years down the road at the minimum.

WEF, where art thou?

OL FU
July 3rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Oh and don't forget Sugar Tit, SC. xeekx

I am not really sure what it is. I have been looking for that place since about the age of 2 xsmiley_wix

g-webb1994
July 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Don't forget Intercourse, PA. Who says the Amish don't have any fun?!xlolx

Death Dealer
July 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Ninety six is easy. It was 96 miles south of the southern capital of the Cherokee nation, Keoweexnodx

Don't for get Pumpkintown, SC.
http://www.darkfiber.com/tomb/cemeteries/oolenoySC/pumpkintown.jpg

We will be in pumpkintown tomorrow for the fourth.xnodx We are spending the day hiking up around Caesar's Head and Table Rock. My kids love Pumpkintown, because they have the best little ice cream/soda shop there where we always stop and get a cool treat after a long day of hiking.xthumbsupx

Death Dealer
July 3rd, 2008, 12:07 PM

I am not really sure what it is. I have been looking for that place since about the age of 2 xsmiley_wix

When we were kids we had a nanny named Christine. When blackberries were in season, we'd go out and pick a bunch. Then she would take a napkin and fill it with a mixture/slurry of blackberries and sugar, and wrap it up into a ball. She called them sugar tits!xlolx We would sit out on the porch and suck on those things for an hour.xthumbsupx I think that's where I developed my obsession with nubian women.xcoolx xwhistlex

I realize that this has nothing to do with FCS football, but it's a lot more interesting than Erskine football.xlolx xsmiley_wix xpeacex

OL FU
July 3rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Everyone in the Big South would love to see the Eagles add football. But there are a number of factors that come into play similar to CofC. The female-to-male ratio of the school makes Title IX compliance extremely difficult.

And to be honest, if UNC-Charlotte passes on football once again then I believe there is a real possibility of Winthrop stepping up to fill the hole in that marketplace for Division I football.

WEF, where art thou?

I, selfishly, would prefer that we not have any more FCS teams in SC. WE have 7 in a relatively small state. We also have very good teams in this stateI understand why the Big South would like it, but at some point the law of diminishing marginal returns would kick in.xnodx

WinthropEagleFan
July 3rd, 2008, 01:36 PM

WEF, where art thou?

I pretty much agree with what you are saying, except I don't see the UNCC decision being much of a factor either way. When it comes down to it, until there is a MAJOR donor to bankroll a bulk of the project, it isn't going to happen. And so far, since the school threw the numbers out there, nobody has stepped up (at least that I've heard).

Sly Fox
July 3rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
I mentioned UNC-C because if they pass on it a football-happy donor without WU ties is more likely to become involved. But as long the 49ers toy with the idea it keeps that from happening.

Sir William
July 4th, 2008, 11:22 AM
DUE WEST OF WHAT?????

Honea Path

Sir William
July 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM

This requires familiarity with the Greater Greenville and Spartanburg area. Sugar Tit is actually on Hwy 101, south of I-85, going toward Woodruff. If you're a golfer heading down 101 toward Willow Creek Country Club, you pass through it. You won't readily know it because it's basically a crossroad with an old gas station, if I recall correctly.

Sir William
July 4th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I, selfishly, would prefer that we not have any more FCS teams in SC. WE have 7 in a relatively small state. We also have very good teams in this stateI understand why the Big South would like it, but at some point the law of diminishing marginal returns would kick in.xnodx

Ditto.

Sir William
July 4th, 2008, 11:30 AM
DUE WEST OF WHAT?????

Sugar Tit, of course.