PDA

View Full Version : Garner-Webb officially a Big South member

CSUBUCDAD
July 1st, 2008, 03:21 PM
http://www.bigsouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4800&ATCLID=1504891

Gardner-Webb Officially Joins Big South
Written by: Big South
Release: 07/01/2008

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The Big South Conference today officially welcomes Gardner-Webb University as a member of the Conference, pushing the Big South membership to 10 institutions for the second time in League history. Gardner-Webb, which had been an associate football member since 2002, joins the Big South from the Atlantic Sun Conference and is immediately eligible for all Big South championships and honors upon its entry............

Seawolf97
July 1st, 2008, 09:31 PM
Good news . Really looking forward to this upcomng season!

BJuice
July 1st, 2008, 09:47 PM
That is great. A quality addition to the family.

I am wondering...hmm.

Why wouldn't Campbell want to join the Big South? It seems like a simple logical fit to me. They are a football playing school. I guess it is a scholarship thing with football.

I really wanted the league (Big South) to go after Samford. I though they would be a good addition, even though it would be tough being in Alabama. I hope they didn't get in over their heads in the SoCon.

g-webb1994
July 1st, 2008, 09:54 PM
I think you may see either Lenoir-Rhyne or Wingate make the jump soon up from D-2, ala Presbyterian, and become Big South members in the process.

The Atlantic Sun gig was nice, but travel was costly as heck. Now we have schools like UNC-A, Winthrop, PC, High Point, and Radford all within a three hour drive or so, no to mention Coastal and CSU just past the four hour window.

The potential G-W/Winthrop rivalry in hoops is awesome to imagine.

Rekindling an old South Atlantic Conference rivalry with PC, in all sports, is great too.

IndianaAppMan
July 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
I really wanted the league (Big South) to go after Samford. I though they would be a good addition, even though it would be tough being in Alabama. I hope they didn't get in over their heads in the SoCon.

I get what you're saying here. The Big South is tightly configured geographically (except for Stony Brook, of course). Fans like rivalries to be nearby rather than far off. But I would bet those fans out in Big Sky country would beg to differ that the few hundred miles from Charleston to Birmingham is too far to share in conference.

BearsCountry
July 1st, 2008, 11:35 PM
If I was the Big South I would be trying to get into Georgia next. West Georgia and Valdosta State would be very nice members for the Big South.

zilla
July 2nd, 2008, 09:01 AM
I think the league should try to court East Tennessee State. I think eventually we'll see the Bucs re-start football (JMO).

West Georgia will be FCS in five years. They've already stated their intentions to move up on their athletic website. I can see the Wolves in either the Big South or the OVC.

I would be in favor of Campbell also. However, I think they're gonna be another Davidson-like team for many years to come in football (no scholarships).

The Cats
July 2nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
congrats to GW