PDA

View Full Version : Have you heard of a more misleading headline?

IndianaAppMan
July 1st, 2008, 12:27 PM
The headline of a story on the AGS homepage, coming from championshipsubdivision.com:

"Study: FCS National Championships Give App State $509 Million Boost To Region"

Here's the link: http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=study-fcs-national-championships-give-ap&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Here are excerpts of what the article actually says. Words in brackets are mine:

"An economic impact study based on existing regional models showed Appalachian State University has an annual economic impact of $509 million on a five-county region.

"The Center for Economic Research and Policy Analysis in ASU’s Walker College of Business authored the report, using faculty and staff salaries, student-spending patterns, commuter patterns, grants, construction and purchases.

"Models were used to analyze the impact of student spending and the difference between on-campus and off-campus residency.

"Other data came from ASU football attendance, [in other words, football only a limited factor]Appalachian Summer visitor numbers, salary spending, grants and gifts, and tuition and fees."

Please note that the headline given by the [I]Watauga Democrat, the original publisher read this way: "Study: ASU provides $509 million boost to region"

Misleading, sensational headlines like that drive me crazy. xmadx There's not even a single mention in the article itself of the word "championship." I was very disappointed; then again, I should have known better than to think that even three straight titles in 1-AA could have that huge of an impact.

At best, maybe the study will hush up all the few grumpy complainers who complain about Boone having too many tourists and students.

To the fans of other teams, I'd love to hear about times when the media grossly misled the public about your universities/teams.

patssle
July 1st, 2008, 12:41 PM
Have you heard of a more misleading headline?

Yes. App State wins Emmy.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix

I kid I kid. Just making a joke off that now ridiculous thread.

mountaineertider
July 1st, 2008, 03:57 PM
Hasn't the number of non-ASU Boone residents who complain about the number of students gone down?

I thought the school and the community had patched up the rough relationship here of late (or is that more the City Council and ASU have kissed and made up after the whole College of Education building thing?)

DFW HOYA
July 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM
It's a little off topic, but this may be the winner of the most misleading headline (from the AP)

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=5A90A4C5854BAEE226825CA18D024D29 ?contentId=5657259&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

james_lawfirm
July 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
The headline of a story on the AGS homepage, coming from championshipsubdivision.com:

"Study: FCS National Championships Give App State $509 Million Boost To Region"

Here's the link: http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=study-fcs-national-championships-give-ap&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Here are excerpts of what the article actually says. Words in brackets are mine:

"An economic impact study based on existing regional models showed Appalachian State University has an annual economic impact of $509 million on a five-county region.

"The Center for Economic Research and Policy Analysis in ASU’s Walker College of Business authored the report, using faculty and staff salaries, student-spending patterns, commuter patterns, grants, construction and purchases.

"Models were used to analyze the impact of student spending and the difference between on-campus and off-campus residency.

"Other data came from ASU football attendance, [in other words, football only a limited factor]Appalachian Summer visitor numbers, salary spending, grants and gifts, and tuition and fees."

Please note that the headline given by the [I]Watauga Democrat, the original publisher read this way: "Study: ASU provides $509 million boost to region"

Misleading, sensational headlines like that drive me crazy. xmadx There's not even a single mention in the article itself of the word "championship." I was very disappointed; then again, I should have known better than to think that even three straight titles in 1-AA could have that huge of an impact.

At best, maybe the study will hush up all the few grumpy complainers who complain about Boone having too many tourists and students.

To the fans of other teams, I'd love to hear about times when the media grossly misled the public about your universities/teams.

As I read this, I was thinking the same thing. The author seemed to equate spending due to football games as somehow connected to the salaries of all ASU employees. This faulty journalism will not a Pulitzer Prize win. The boy must have been daydreaming during Statistics class. Oh, wait, I know - the author was a Western grad! Apologies to WCU fans.

UNHWILDCATS05
July 1st, 2008, 07:25 PM
Speaking of misleading headlines from championshipsubdivisionnews.com, how about this one:

Former UNH QB Cops Plea In Cop Slaying (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=former-unh-qb-cops-plea-in-cop-slaying&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1)

xnonox xoopsx Thought I had really missed something when I first saw that...

yorkcountyUNHfan
July 1st, 2008, 07:38 PM
Speaking of misleading headlines from championshipsubdivisionnews.com, how about this one:

Former UNH QB Cops Plea In Cop Slaying (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=former-unh-qb-cops-plea-in-cop-slaying&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1)

xnonox xoopsx Thought I had really missed something when I first saw that...

"Reduced the charge to misdemeanor after two years of probation".
The papers out here have not bothered to print that.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 1st, 2008, 08:56 PM
"Reduced the charge to misdemeanor after two years of probation".
The papers out here have not bothered to print that.

I know, and that's why I wanted to reprint the outcome of that trial in the CSN Log.

As for ASU and the headline there, I admit I was having a bit of fun with the original article, but to say that the Michigan win, the FCS championships have NOTHING to do with the $509 million number isn't true. You have to say that the football team's success over the last three years has had SOME impact. Furthermore, those attendance numbers include, I believe, nine (!) playoff games.

IndianaAppMan
July 1st, 2008, 10:15 PM
I know, and that's why I wanted to reprint the outcome of that trial in the CSN Log.

As for ASU and the headline there, I admit I was having a bit of fun with the original article, but to say that the Michigan win, the FCS championships have NOTHING to do with the $509 million number isn't true. You have to say that the football team's success over the last three years has had SOME impact. Furthermore, those attendance numbers include, I believe, nine (!) playoff games.

I'll be the first to agree that ASU's great run over the past three years have had a great impact on ASU as a university and to the region as a whole. I was actually the one who started the "FCS Titles vs. New Orleans Bowl" thread to argue how strong an economic/academic impact FCS titles can have on universities, even compared to some lower-level FBS schools.

But to imply that the FCS titles have had that huge of an impact on the High Country is an extreme exaggeration. App State was boosting the region's economy, especially Watauga County's, long before the football team's great run the past three years. It's a well-known fact that counties across Appalachia are economically downtrodden. Watauga County, and to a lesser extent, the surrounding counties, are an exception to that rule thanks largely to App State, which was the point proven in this study.

I love the ASU football team, but let's not give them so much $509 million worth of credit for something that had much more to do with other factors.

Maybe the headline should be "Study: FCS Titles a Factor in ASU's $509 Million Boost to Region." There's nothing misleading or inaccurate in that. xthumbsupx

LFN, I do thank you for bringing this article to my attention, though. I'm planning to go to grad school for urban planning, and this was good information for me to know.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 1st, 2008, 10:52 PM
LFN, I do thank you for bringing this article to my attention, though. I'm planning to go to grad school for urban planning, and this was good information for me to know.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Then my job is done here! Glad to know the article was a help.

BlueHen86
July 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM
It's a little off topic, but this may be the winner of the most misleading headline (from the AP)

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=5A90A4C5854BAEE226825CA18D024D29 ?contentId=5657259&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Longhorn
July 1st, 2008, 11:33 PM

Hiding 15 bags inside his butt gives a whole new meaning to "crack" cocaine. xoopsx

Lionsrking
July 2nd, 2008, 03:14 AM
Hiding 15 bags inside his butt gives a whole new meaning to "crack" cocaine. xoopsx

pretty soon they'll refer to it as "brown rock."

Cleets
July 2nd, 2008, 03:18 AM
Not only is this not being read on AGS... it's going un-read "world-wide" xlolx
so as misleading as it might be...
nobody has noticed but us posters here and a few dozen poor souls

xwhistlex

SoCon48
July 2nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
Yes. App State wins Emmy.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix

I kid I kid. Just making a joke off that now ridiculous thread.

Oh, you must have finally realized Jerry Moore didn't buy an Emmy marked dupicate. Good for you.
Oh, I forgot. The argument changed to discussing the title of the thread, not Jerry Moore unlocking doors.

Yes the title was misleading.