PDA

View Full Version : soo....what's up with the rankings?

JMUfan2008
October 15th, 2005, 05:29 PM
some people winning, some losing, some really close games....I have no idea who is going into the playoffs at this point, I don't even know if the teams who are currently in like the top 10 will make it

ngineer
October 15th, 2005, 09:53 PM
some people winning, some losing, some really close games....I have no idea who is going into the playoffs at this point, I don't even know if the teams who are currently in like the top 10 will make it

Another major shuffling of the cards this week. Some very big games on the near horizon should start separating the wheat from the chaff, the boys from the men, the pretender from the contenders, ...any other analogies ?:D

blackfordpu
October 15th, 2005, 10:01 PM
This poll is going to take a while.

FlyYtown
October 15th, 2005, 10:06 PM
I hope Youngstown State slips in at 6-1
They are #1 in the Gateway Football Conference.

Ya they got lucky tonight vs. WIU to win but they still have won pretty decently in every game.

asu70
October 15th, 2005, 10:13 PM
With JMU losing, that will drop them to maybe # 9 or 10?

youwouldno
October 15th, 2005, 10:28 PM
JMU is hard to figure. Thing is, how far can they drop with such little clarity in the rest of the poll? Ultimately they have a good win against Hofstra, but little else... losses to Coastal & UMass, wins over Lock Haven, Del St., Hofsta, Maine. That's pretty weak.

It'll be a tough poll.

Pantherpower
October 15th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Well, UNI lost their starting qb early in last weeks game who was leading I-AA in pass efficiency and lost 24-21 on the road at Missouri State and dropped 7 spots to #14. 7 spots was good enough for them, interesting if it will be good enough for the Dukes. Drops/rises don't seem to be as drastic from here on out in the season.

JMUfan2008
October 16th, 2005, 12:08 AM
JMU is hard to figure. Thing is, how far can they drop with such little clarity in the rest of the poll? Ultimately they have a good win against Hofstra, but little else... losses to Coastal & UMass, wins over Lock Haven, Del St., Hofsta, Maine. That's pretty weak.

It'll be a tough poll.

True they have losses to CCU & UMass, but for a combined total of 7 points...what I'm worried about is we are almost definitely going to have away games in the playoffs, and we've been weak in away games this year...so we'll just have to wait and see

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Rankings will be incredibly hard this week yet again. Every team in the SoCon and Big Sky have at least 1 conference loss. Only UMass in the A-10 doesn't have a conference loss, and they still have Hofstra and UNH to play.

But more importantly, who is that team out there that is just getting better and more dominating every week? The only team is.. and I can't believe I'm saying this... Hampton. Look at everyone else. Furman struggled against The Citadel this week, and seem to give up 30 points a week. Western Kentucky almost got knocked off the second straight week. UMass looks tougher, but that loss to Colgate sticks out like a pimple on their record. Any Big Sky team would appear to be able to be any other Big Sky team any given Saturday.

Who's the dominating team? I'm really tempted to say Hampton. They may even get a #1 vote from me.

Pantherpower
October 16th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Vote Hampton #1 if you must. It's your right...but know that they would be fortunate to have a .500 record were they to play in the A-10, Gateway, SoCon, Big Sky or Southland Conference. I have long questioned the validity of an auto-bid being wasted on the MEAC champ. Too tired to look up MEAC's all-time playoff record, but I do know it's abyssmal.

Sam Adams
October 16th, 2005, 12:46 AM
UMass looks pretty good. They proved today that the D is for real and the O has a nice power running game and some good passing in the mix. They sit atop the A10 so you would think that they will be a contender.

smarterray
October 16th, 2005, 03:29 AM
I predict that by the end of the year, the #1 team will have a 5-6 record.

Sam Adams
October 16th, 2005, 07:54 AM
UMass is getting better each week. The UMass D has been stifling all year and this week they completely shut down a high powered JMU offense that put 42 up against Hoftstra and 38 against Maine.

ngineer
October 16th, 2005, 03:27 PM
UMass is definitely a 'top 3' right now. Defense is what wins championships. But WKU and Cal Poly are undefeated against I-AA competition, so I nudge them ahead at this point. Games will take care it. :cool:

PIRATETIZED1
October 16th, 2005, 07:54 PM
For ALL "you people" dissin' Hampton for being in the MEAC instead of the A10.

LISTEN UP!!!!!!!

Dr. William H. Harvey, President of Hampton University, in his State of the University address at the Biennial Conference in Cleveland, OH in July 2004, reported to the Students, Alumni and the Press, that the A10 turned down Hampton's Application to join their Conference. They (the A10) did this without any reasons given for the rejection!!!!!!!!

So ya' really cannot say what Hampton's record would be if they were in the A10, because for reasons only known by the A10- 'Powers-to-Be'; the A10 did not want Hampton in. Besides, RECRUITING would certainly be MORE successful, being an A10 member than a MEAC member. Does anyone deny my point on Recruiting comparison between the 2 conferences???? HUH??? Well???? Speak up & Speak Out!!!!!

That's why it's so important that win this game vs. South Carolina State. SCState will undoubtedly move up from their current #21 ranking to be within the top 20. The "BULL DOGS" can also play with any team from any conference (but Y'ALL know that!!!!).

So let's stop all this "...talkin' LOUD & SAYIN' nothin' ..." about weakness of schedule. The Coaches & Players have to deal with the schedule handed to them. We all know these schedules are worked out a few years in advance. The best that Hampton can do is to KEEP WINNING.

I will certainly show up on this BOARD if Hampton loses & I'll tip my hat to whoever defeats them.

JUST MAKE SURE Y'ALL ARE AROUND IF HAMPTON MAKES IT TO THE PLAYOFF SEMIFINAL &/or FINALS. I HAVE RECORDED ALL THE POSTS ABOVE....I KNOW EVERYONE'S BOARD NAME.

If Hampton goes all the way, be gracious enough to tip your hat to the PIRATES!!!!!!

PIRATETIZED :cool:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

PIRATETIZED1
October 16th, 2005, 08:01 PM

LISTEN UP!!!!!!!

Dr. William H. Harvey, President of Hampton University, in his State of the University address at the Biennial Conference in Cleveland, OH in July 2004, reported to the Students, Alumni and the Press, that the A10 turned down Hampton's Application to join their Conference. They (the A10) did this without any reasons given for the rejection!!!!!!!!

So ya' really cannot say what Hampton's record would be if they were in the A10, because for reasons only known by the A10- 'Powers-to-Be'; the A10 did not want Hampton in. Besides, RECRUITING would certainly be MORE successful, being an A10 member than a MEAC member. Does anyone deny my point on Recruiting comparison between the 2 conferences???? HUH??? Well???? Speak up & Speak Out!!!!!

That's why it's so important that win this game vs. South Carolina State. SCState will undoubtedly move up from their current #21 ranking to be within the top 20. The "BULL DOGS" can also play with any team from any conference (but Y'ALL know that!!!!).

So let's stop all this "...talkin' LOUD & SAYIN' nothin' ..." about weakness of schedule. The Coaches & Players have to deal with the schedule handed to them. We all know these schedules are worked out a few years in advance. The best that Hampton can do is to KEEP WINNING.

I will certainly show up on this BOARD if Hampton loses & I'll tip my hat to whoever defeats them.

JUST MAKE SURE Y'ALL ARE AROUND IF HAMPTON MAKES IT TO THE PLAYOFF SEMIFINAL &/or FINALS. I HAVE RECORDED ALL THE POSTS ABOVE....I KNOW EVERYONE'S BOARD NAME.

If Hampton goes all the way, be gracious enough to tip your hat to the PIRATES!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McNeese75
October 16th, 2005, 08:03 PM

If Hampton achieves that, you can bet they will receive their due recogonition :nod:

colgate13
October 16th, 2005, 10:33 PM
UMass looks tougher, but that loss to Colgate sticks out like a pimple on their record.

Uh, that pimple has also been getting better over the past three weeks...

And Hampton, #8 in my poll, reminds me a lot of what people had to say about that pimple in 2003. Keep proving it on the field Hampton. That's the only way that matters.:cool:

blur2005
October 16th, 2005, 10:43 PM

LISTEN UP!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure there are a couple reasons Hampton won't ever be in the A-10. First and foremost, we have 12 teams, and with Old Dominion possibly having a team in the near future, the A-10/CAA is going to have to figure out what to do there. Second, as the conference is switching to new people in the CAA, who knows what the CAA wants. I seriously doubt there will be any further expansion of the A-10. It's already too big as it is.

TigerFan17
October 16th, 2005, 10:53 PM
The A-10 in reality has like 4259 schools...if they continue to do what they're doing, all of I-AA football will become the A-10. I'm just glad they let us in... :D

Stang Fever
October 17th, 2005, 01:26 AM
I am usually the first to jump out and bash a confrence or a team for that matter for there Lack of Comp.....and in the case of Hampton i have stayed pretty quite...But I just have to say that for anyteam to go unbeaten is a good thing and should be recognized...However once you try to compare them to another conf. its pretty hard (you dont know how they would recruit knowing they play these teams year in and year out). But if you have to and when i do. i just say could this team right now finish in the top 3 in most conf. some times 4 when i think of the A-10.

Hampton has played nobody and just like SIU (which i believe said would get blown out as soon as they played somebody) they will loose....so Hampton win this weekend and for a split second you will get people off your back...Loose and you will never get this high up in the polls this season with BLOW out wins against CUP CAKES

blur2005
October 17th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Have your team play:
Jackson State
Howard
North Carolina A&T
Morgan State
Delaware State
Gardner-Webb
Norfolk State
South Carolina State
Bethune-Cookman
Florida A&M
Savannah State

Tell me how "dominating" they are then...

Is it the same as playing:
Monmouth
Delaware
VMI
Harvard
Holy Cross
Yale
Bucknell
Colgate
Georgetown
Fordham
Lafayette

Or how about:

Lock Haven
Coastal Carolina
Delaware State
Hofstra
Maine
UMass
Delaware
Richmond
William & Mary
Villanova
Towson

And that's not even that strong compared to some.

colgate13
October 17th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Have your team play OOC:
Jackson State
Gardner-Webb
Savannah State

Tell me how "dominating" they are then...

Is it the same as playing:
Monmouth
Delaware
Harvard
Yale

How about playing:
Fort Lewis
Oregon
South Dakota State
Cal Poly

or playing:
Southeast Missouri State
Union (KY)
Western Mich
North Dakota State

Any difference?

Actually, I'm not that impressed with the D II and NAIA schools along with a I-A OOC formula. The I-A is most often a loss and the D II/NAIA is most often a win. But what have we learned from that for I-AA purposes? Nothing IMO. The only thing we learn is from upsets.

AmsterBison
October 17th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Actually, I'm not that impressed with the D II and NAIA schools along with a I-A OOC formula. The I-A is most often a loss and the D II/NAIA is most often a win. But what have we learned from that for I-AA purposes? Nothing IMO. The only thing we learn is from upsets.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. If I'm rating a schedule's toughness, I throw out any games against teams not in DI-AA.

PIRATETIZED1
October 17th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Originally Quoted by TigerFan17

The A-10 in reality has like 4259 schools...if they continue to do what they're doing, all of I-AA football will become the A-10. I'm just glad they let us in...

A-10/CAA love
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Quoted by blur2005

I'm pretty sure there are a couple reasons Hampton won't ever be in the A-10. First and foremost, we have 12 teams, and with Old Dominion possibly having a team in the near future, the A-10/CAA is going to have to figure out what to do there. Second, as the conference is switching to new people in the CAA, who knows what the CAA wants. I seriously doubt there will be any further expansion of the A-10. It's already too big as it is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of what I'm about to say will be meaningless, if Hampton does NOT defeat South Carolina State. NO excuses, Hampton Has to win this game. If they do not, I DO NOT WANT THEM IN THE PLAYOFFS......period!

Having said that...It still does NOT change my mind on the issue of Hampton's ATTEMPT to enter as a member of the A10.
There are a couple more POSTS (above) I can use, the 2 above is helping to make some of my points.

TigerFan17....Thank you for posting what you did above. "... I'm just glad they let us in..." ! And that was Dr. Harvey's point. Hampton's application was rejected, Towson's was accepted! Why????

Let's compare OOC schedules between Towson & Hampton during the years from 1996 through 2004. WIN or LOSE OOC game, I feel ANY reasonable person will see CLEARLY that TOWSON has done NOTHING (nada!) to upgrade and schedule tougher OOC games between those years. Also keep in mind, Hampton was just exiting Div.II in 1996. So they had contractual obligations to play some Div. II games scheduled years prior!! Hampton was accepted into the MEAC in 1995, but not eligible for conference championship until 1996. It appears Towson was an Independent I-AA mid-major in 1996. They made it into the Patriot League in 1997.

OOC games comparison between HAMPTON & TOWSON between 1996-2004

1996 - HU played CAU & Liberty
1996 - TU played a Independent Mid-Major Sked

1997 - HU played William & Mary; Grambling; Liberty & Youngstown St. in PL
1997 - TU played Monmouth; Columbia; Penn; Robert Morris

1998 - HU played Grambling; Liberty; W&M; UCONN in Playoffs
1998 - TU played Morgan St.; Monmouth; St. Mary's(CA);Dayton; Drake

1999 - HU played Ark.-Pine Bluff; Grambling; Southern
1999 - TU played Monmouth; Morgan; Columbia; Howard; Dayton

2000 - HU played New Hamphire; Winston-Salem; Southern Utah
2000 - TU played Morgan St; Howard; Monmouth; St. Mary's; Drake

2001 - HU played New Hamphire; VA St.; Rhode Island
2001 - TU played Albany(NY); Monmouth; Morgan St.

2002 - HU played Jas.Madison; Missouri St.; Alcorn St.; Bowie St.
2002 - TU played Morgan; Brown; Cornell; Monmouth

2003 - HU played Villanova; Tuskegee; Savannah St.
2003 - TU played Morgan St; Lock Haven; Yale; Elon; Albany(NY)

2004 - HU played Jackson St.; Western Ill.; Gardner-Webb; Sav. St; W&M in PL
2004 - TU now in the A10 South played OOC - Elon; Cornell; Bowie St.

COME ON PEOPLE!!!! Hampton was trying to show everyone, they were ready to compete in the A10.....Can't y'all SEE that??????? ANYONE agreeing with blur2005...Show me where TOWSON's OOC sked was better than Hampton's during the years I posted, also including 2004 & this SEASON?????????? HUH???? Give me a BREAK!!!!!!

So blur2005 I reject your reply with you stating "...I'm pretty sure there are a couple reasons Hampton won't ever be in the A-10. First and foremost, we have 12 teams..." So blur2005, YOU are attempting to convince me & everyone reading this post that when there was a vacancy in 2003, the "Intelligent, Reasonable, Fair & Intelligent" A10 Conference accepts Towson's Application instead of HAMPTON's. Yet Towson NEVER played nor schedule Teams in the A10, Gateway, Big South, Great West that Hampton played & in some cases defeated. In Case anyone out there did NOT hear me just NOW...!!!!! LET....ME...SAY...IT....VERY...SLOWLY...FOR...YOU. ..AGAIN...SLOWLY!!!!!

I just showed all of you that between 1996 and 2004.

1. FACT: There was a vacancy in the A10 in 2003.
2. FACT: At least 2 applicants were Towson & Hampton.
3. FACT: Towson was chosen over Hampton.
4. FACT: Hampton played teams from A10;Gateway, Big South; Great West*(that year Southern Utah was Ind.I-AA/now member of Great West) between the years of 1996 - 2004;
5. FACT: WHEREAS, Towson did not schedule nor play any teams from those conferences during the same time.
6. FACT: YET Towson is accepted to the A10, and Hampton receives a REJECTION LETTER without an Explanation!!!!!

Yet blur2005 NOW states what he did above. Yeah rite, I believe you....Hampton will never get into the A10. Nor does Hampton want to go into the A10 now. With their OOC scheduling...Towson needed to stay in the Patriot League. Hampton's scholarships & RECRUITING would've improved exponentially by now. Having had Zuriel Smith, Jerome Mathis and others we were not able to recruit by being in the MEAC...As far as anyone knows, Hampton could've been in the Championship game LAST YEAR if a member of the A10!!!!
Knowing there are many factors involved in the acceptance of a team into a conference, I'm very sure that Towson was and is not FAR SUPERIOR to Hampton University....$$$$$'s included.

I challenge anyone to convince me & anyone else reading this....BASED on scheduling ONLY between the years I've posted and tell me & others that YOU WOULD'VE ALSO CHOSEN TOWSON OVER HAMPTON TO GO INTO THE A10. Knowing Towson never scheduled or played the teams they must play NOW!!! Lastly...Has ANYONE looked at TOWSON's OOC schedule THIS SEASON?????????? PLease give me a BREAK! If TOWSON was Undefeated this season...there would be no discussion whether TOWSON would be Seeded in the Playoffs....WHY??? 'Cause they're in the A10, and NOT Hampton!! IF...Hampton runs the table toward an undefeated season, THEY BETTER RECEIVE A TOP 4 SEED!!!

Please....GIVE me a BREAK!!!!!!

PIRATETIZED :mad:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

DB_Atlantic10
October 17th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Originally Quoted by TigerFan17

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Quoted by blur2005

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of what I'm about to say will be meaningless, if Hampton does NOT defeat South Carolina State. NO excuses, Hampton Has to win this game. If they do not, I DO NOT WANT THEM IN THE PLAYOFFS......period!

Having said that...It still does NOT change my mind on the issue of Hampton's ATTEMPT to enter as a member of the A10.
There are a couple more POSTS (above) I can use, the 2 above is helping to make some of my points.

TigerFan17....Thank you for posting what you did above. "... I'm just glad they let us in..." ! And that was Dr. Harvey's point. Hampton's application was rejected, Towson's was accepted! Why????

Let's compare OOC schedules between Towson & Hampton during the years from 1996 through 2004. WIN or LOSE OOC game, I feel ANY reasonable person will see CLEARLY that TOWSON has done NOTHING (nada!) to upgrade and schedule tougher OOC games between those years. Also keep in mind, Hampton was just exiting Div.II in 1996. So they had contractual obligations to play some Div. II games scheduled years prior!! Hampton was accepted into the MEAC in 1995, but not eligible for conference championship until 1996. It appears Towson was an Independent I-AA mid-major in 1996. They made it into the Patriot League in 1997.

OOC games comparison between HAMPTON & TOWSON between 1996-2004

1996 - HU played CAU & Liberty
1996 - TU played a Independent Mid-Major Sked

1997 - HU played William & Mary; Grambling; Liberty & Youngstown St. in PL
1997 - TU played Monmouth; Columbia; Penn; Robert Morris

1998 - HU played Grambling; Liberty; W&M; UCONN in Playoffs
1998 - TU played Morgan St.; Monmouth; St. Mary's(CA);Dayton; Drake

1999 - HU played Ark.-Pine Bluff; Grambling; Southern
1999 - TU played Monmouth; Morgan; Columbia; Howard; Dayton

2000 - HU played New Hamphire; Winston-Salem; Southern Utah
2000 - TU played Morgan St; Howard; Monmouth; St. Mary's; Drake

2001 - HU played New Hamphire; VA St.; Rhode Island
2001 - TU played Albany(NY); Monmouth; Morgan St.

2002 - HU played Jas.Madison; Missouri St.; Alcorn St.; Bowie St.
2002 - TU played Morgan; Brown; Cornell; Monmouth

2003 - HU played Villanova; Tuskegee; Savannah St.
2003 - TU played Morgan St; Lock Haven; Yale; Elon; Albany(NY)

2004 - HU played Jackson St.; Western Ill.; Gardner-Webb; Sav. St; W&M in PL
2004 - TU now in the A10 South played OOC - Elon; Cornell; Bowie St.

COME ON PEOPLE!!!! Hampton was trying to show everyone, they were ready to compete in the A10.....Can't y'all SEE that??????? ANYONE agreeing with blur2005...Show me where TOWSON's OOC sked was better than Hampton's during the years I posted, also including 2004 & this SEASON?????????? HUH???? Give me a BREAK!!!!!!

So blur2005 I reject your reply with you stating "...I'm pretty sure there are a couple reasons Hampton won't ever be in the A-10. First and foremost, we have 12 teams..." So blur2005, YOU are attempting to convince me & everyone reading this post that when there was a vacancy in 2003, the "Intelligent, Reasonable, Fair & Intelligent" A10 Conference accepts Towson's Application instead of HAMPTON's. Yet Towson NEVER played nor schedule Teams in the A10, Gateway, Big South, Great West that Hampton played & in some cases defeated. In Case anyone out there did NOT hear me just NOW...!!!!! LET....ME...SAY...IT....VERY...SLOWLY...FOR...YOU. ..AGAIN...SLOWLY!!!!!

I just showed all of you that between 1996 and 2004.

1. FACT: There was a vacancy in the A10 in 2003.
2. FACT: At least 2 applicants were Towson & Hampton.
3. FACT: Towson was chosen over Hampton.
4. FACT: Hampton played teams from A10;Gateway, Big South; Great West*(that year Southern Utah was Ind.I-AA/now member of Great West) between the years of 1996 - 2004;
5. FACT: WHEREAS, Towson did not schedule nor play any teams from those conferences during the same time.
6. FACT: YET Towson is accepted to the A10, and Hampton receives a REJECTION LETTER without an Explanation!!!!!

Yet blur2005 NOW states what he did above. Yeah rite, I believe you....Hampton will never get into the A10. Nor does Hampton want to go into the A10 now. With their OOC scheduling...Towson needed to stay in the Patriot League. Hampton's scholarships & RECRUITING would've improved exponentially by now. Having had Zuriel Smith, Jerome Mathis and others we were not able to recruit by being in the MEAC...As far as anyone knows, Hampton could've been in the Championship game LAST YEAR if a member of the A10!!!!
Knowing there are many factors involved in the acceptance of a team into a conference, I'm very sure that Towson was and is not FAR SUPERIOR to Hampton University....$$$$$'s included.

I challenge anyone to convince me & anyone else reading this....BASED on scheduling ONLY between the years I've posted and tell me & others that YOU WOULD'VE ALSO CHOSEN TOWSON OVER HAMPTON TO GO INTO THE A10. Knowing Towson never scheduled or played the teams they must play NOW!!! Lastly...Has ANYONE looked at TOWSON's OOC schedule THIS SEASON?????????? PLease give me a BREAK! If TOWSON was Undefeated this season...there would be no discussion whether TOWSON would be Seeded in the Playoffs....WHY??? 'Cause they're in the A10, and NOT Hampton!! IF...Hampton runs the table toward an undefeated season, THEY BETTER RECEIVE A TOP 4 SEED!!!

Please....GIVE me a BREAK!!!!!!

PIRATETIZED :mad:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, football is not what drives a team's ability to enter a conference... there are more factors to consider, one being academics. If football was one, then I'm sure some of these muddy fields would be a thing of the past...... :deadhorse

Tod
October 17th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I'm with you on that. If I'm rating a schedule's toughness, I throw out any games against teams not in DI-AA.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

89Hen
October 17th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Hampton receives a REJECTION LETTER without an Explanation!!!!!
I'd like to read more on the subject, got anything? As an A10/Yankee fan for 18 years, this is the first time I've ever heard of Hampton and the A10.

GannonFan
October 17th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I've never heard of Hampton wanting to get into the A10 (football) either, but I don't think it's shocking that they were bumped for Towson. Towson has had an athletic relationship with schools in the A10 for decades - while not always football, most certainly in the rest of the sports. Towson has been associated with Delaware for a long time, as well as many of the other A10/CAA schools. Heck, Towson is in the CAA for every other sport and was with a lot of these schools in the America East before that. I would think who who played OOC for the past 10 years would have little to no bearing on conference admission - I can't think of things that are less important than that really. Towson is geographically centered, it's a similar school to many already in the A10, and they have decades of athletic association with many of the A10/CAA schools - if it was between Towson and Hampton then it was pretty much a sure thing for Towson.