PDA

View Full Version : ESPY Awards

APPdopted
July 1st, 2008, 11:54 AM
Just saw that App's win over Michigan has been nominated for an ESPY in the Best Upset Category.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3469026

CharlestonAppFan
July 1st, 2008, 12:12 PM
Just saw that App's win over Michigan has been nominated for an ESPY in the Best Upset Category.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3469026

Wonder if App & Jerry Moore can claim this as their own.........wait, is this an award for cinematics and producers only? xrolleyesx

biggie
July 1st, 2008, 12:17 PM
For Voting:

http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/specialsection/espys2008/

citdog
July 1st, 2008, 12:17 PM
Wonder if App & Jerry Moore can claim this as their own.........wait, is this an award for cinematics and producers only? xrolleyesx

I USED TO HAVE NO FEELINGS EITHER WAY ABOUT APPY STATE. THAT IS NO LONGER THE CASE. I AM VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, BORED WITH THE WHINING, CRYING, AND GENERAL FEMALE LIKE BEHAVIOR.

CharlestonAppFan
July 1st, 2008, 12:24 PM
I USED TO HAVE NO FEELINGS EITHER WAY ABOUT APPY STATE. THAT IS NO LONGER THE CASE. I AM VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, BORED WITH THE WHINING, CRYING, AND GENERAL FEMALE LIKE BEHAVIOR.

xeyebrowx It's APP STATE xrulesx xthumbsupx :D

When are you coming back down to Chucktown? I need some of you edumacated advice on some secrets to get into THE Citadel grad school. xnodx

andy7171
July 1st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Can we all just give Appy State an award for the greatest game ever played and never to be equaled or even questioned in the history of all sport, and just be done with it?

ElonPride
July 1st, 2008, 12:29 PM

I can't believe you're that obtuse.xrolleyesx

JayJ79
July 1st, 2008, 12:33 PM
I can't believe you're that obtuse.xrolleyesx

What? What did you call me?
You're forgetting yourself.
Don't you mention money to me again. You sorry SON OF A B#TCH! NOT IN THIS ROOM, NOT EVER.

ElonPride
July 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM
What? What did you call me?
You're forgetting yourself.
Don't you mention money to me again. You sorry SON OF A B#TCH! NOT IN THIS ROOM, NOT EVER.

NICE!!!!! I was wondering if anyone would get the Shawshank reference!!!!!!!

patssle
July 1st, 2008, 12:37 PM
How the hell can you compare a NASCAR driver to a real football or basketball athlete?

thmst30
July 1st, 2008, 12:37 PM
I voted, but doubt many here will. All the App hate and jealousy has gone to a new high. Some of our fans are to blame for that, but mostly people just hate the success. I know how it is, I hate the Patriots, the Yankees, and Georgia Southern back when they were so damn good. Its the nature of sports. Hate the team that seems to get everything they want. So it would be nice to get an ESPY as well, but I don't see us beating the Giants Super Bowl win. Our win happened too long ago. So be happy App haters. We finished 2nd in the Pontiac Game Changing Performance voting, and we will almost certainly finish 2nd here. So we don't win EVERYTHING.xbawlingx :D

IndianaAppMan
July 1st, 2008, 12:39 PM
NICE!!!!! I was wondering if anyone would get the Shawshank reference!!!!!!!

Shawshank is my favorite movie of all time! Who could miss that reference?xlolx

patssle
July 1st, 2008, 12:40 PM
I don't see us beating the Giants Super Bowl win

You guys should beat them. Giants vs Patriots was between 2 professional teams on the same level. App vs Michigan was lower level vs higher level, and I hate this f***ing term but David vs. Goliath.

ElonPride
July 1st, 2008, 12:49 PM
Shawshank is my favorite movie of all time! Who could miss that reference?xlolx

One of your boys was trying to bust and made a "cinematic" comment.....so I thought I would follow it with one of the most under-appreciated lines in cinematic history!xsmiley_wix

TheValleyRaider
July 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM
The Best Upset category includes the New York Giants, who upset previously unbeaten New England for the Super Bowl title; the Appalachian State football team, which upended Michigan in the season opener; the Fresno State baseball team, which became the lowest seed ever to win an NCAA title; and horse racing's Da'Tara, the Belmont Stakes winner over Big Brown.

Stiff competition, but I know where my vote would go xnodx :D

http://www.mujahideenryder.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/david-tyree-superbowl-42.jpg

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2008, 12:56 PM
Can we all just give Appy State an award for the greatest game ever played and never to be equaled or even questioned in the history of all sport, and just be done with it?

While some think this is the greatest upset ever it really isn't. If you take away the FBS and FCS labels and look at personnel you can argue that ASU should have played with them.

My vote in this category is Fresno State. ASU had speed and Michigan didn't. Fresno State didn't have the talent on paper to even come close to winning and they did it. I'm sure Mr. C would even agree that Fresno State could win this as well.

JDC325
July 1st, 2008, 12:57 PM
I voted, but doubt many here will. All the App hate and jealousy has gone to a new high. Some of our fans are to blame for that, but mostly people just hate the success. I know how it is, I hate the Patriots, the Yankees, and Georgia Southern back when they were so damn good. Its the nature of sports. Hate the team that seems to get everything they want. So it would be nice to get an ESPY as well, but I don't see us beating the Giants Super Bowl win. Our win happened too long ago. So be happy App haters. We finished 2nd in the Pontiac Game Changing Performance voting, and we will almost certainly finish 2nd here. So we don't win EVERYTHING.xbawlingx :D

Welcome to the club Hillbilly and quit your whining and just take solice in the fact your better than most right now. If you did not get the memo from Youngstown and GSU, Being proud of your history, NC's and winning tradition = arrogance to the losers.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Welcome to the club Hillbilly and quit your whining and just take solice in the fact your better than most right now. If you did not get the memo from Youngstown and GSU, Being proud of your history, NC's and winning tradition = arrogance to the losers.

Very true. ASU needs to continue doing what they did before Michigan and in the playoffs and they will stay at the top for a while. If they become arrogant like Michigan they are staring at a loss just like that and a decline just like many past dynasties before them.

TheValleyRaider
July 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
My vote in this category is Fresno State. ASU had speed and Michigan didn't so ASU should have won. Fresno State didn't have the talent on paper to even come close to winning and they did it. I'm sure Mr. C would even agree that Fresno State was a bigger upset.

Mr. C is also a Fresno State alum xnodx

AmsterBison
July 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM
Man, App State over Michigan has to win.

Maybe if that Pats were allowed 10 more roster spots than the Giants and maybe if they had 10 times the budget as the Giants and maybe if they got to play the Super Bowl on their home turf in front of their home crowd, then maybe - just maybe - there'd be some question in my mind on this one.

andy7171
July 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
While some think this is the greatest upset ever it really isn't. If you take away the FBS and FCS labels and look at personnel you can argue that ASU should have played with them.

My vote in this category is Fresno State. ASU had speed and Michigan didn't so ASU should have won. Fresno State didn't have the talent on paper to even come close to winning and they did it. I'm sure Mr. C would even agree that Fresno State was a bigger upset.

Did I mention upset? I could add it if need be if the end result is accomplished

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM
Mr. C is also a Fresno State alum xnodx

He is indeed.

The thing about the Fresno upset is that they had to win their league title to even get in the world series. That would be like a 10 seed from a mid-major conference winning the league tournament and then running the table to win the whole thing. ASU's win is a major upset but I would have to give Fresno State the edge in this one. ASU's speed was much better than Michigan's and based on personnel they should have won the game. It just happened nobody thought that speed would beat the 22 more scholarships, 109,000 stadium, and the budget Michigan has. Turns out speed can overcome anything... and I do mean ANYTHING!

thmst30
July 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM
xlolx Thanks, I know. Just trying to act like us App fans are supposed to. Whiny and arrogant. I still hate you guys though.xthumbsupx

thmst30
July 1st, 2008, 01:10 PM
What Fresno did was great, BUT baseball is one of those sports where if a team gets hot at the right time then they can go further than expected. Look at the Colorado Rockies last year, hardly any big time players and they made it to the World Series because they caught fire at the right time. Baseball is a game of streaks, the best talent doesn't mean near as much in baseball. Just look at the small market teams with less talent that have been in or won the World Series lately. It happens a lot on all levels of baseball.

ASUMountaineer
July 1st, 2008, 01:25 PM
Voted App State. Did vote for the Super Bowl as the best game of the year. Even over the NCAA basketball championship, only because overtime was overwhelmingly Kansas.

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2008, 01:26 PM
What Fresno did was great, BUT baseball is one of those sports where if a team gets hot at the right time then they can go further than expected. Look at the Colorado Rockies last year, hardly any big time players and they made it to the World Series because they caught fire at the right time. Baseball is a game of streaks, the best talent doesn't mean near as much in baseball. Just look at the small market teams with less talent that have been in or won the World Series lately. It happens a lot on all levels of baseball.

That is true. Baseball is an up and down game. You can win 8-1 today and lose 5-0 to the same team the next day. Football is not quite as unpredictable but as the website says Any Given Saturday. Anyone can win in football. When you have an entire off-season to prepare it is easy to find holes in your opponent and ASU clearly did that. I'm just saying it seems like Fresno State's win was even more unprobable than ASU's win. Like I said if you forget the FBS and FCS labels ASU had just as good a team as Michigan and on any given week a top 25 FBS level team.

I hope ASU wins but I just don't see it happening. They should have won the Pontiac Game Changing Performance though. Although, after finishing 2nd they will probably win this because nobody thinks they will. :)

thmst30
July 1st, 2008, 01:45 PM
That is true. Baseball is an up and down game. You can win 8-1 today and lose 5-0 to the same team the next day. Football is not quite as unpredictable but as the website says Any Given Saturday. Anyone can win in football. When you have an entire off-season to prepare it is easy to find holes in your opponent and ASU clearly did that. I'm just saying it seems like Fresno State's win was even more unprobable than ASU's win. Like I said if you forget the FBS and FCS labels ASU had just as good a team as Michigan and on any given week a top 25 FBS level team.

I hope ASU wins but I just don't see it happening. They should have won the Pontiac Game Changing Performance though. Although, after finishing 2nd they will probably win this because nobody thinks they will. :)
Well if ASU doesn't win, I'd like Fresno to win. I just really can't stand Eli Manning.

ElonPride
July 1st, 2008, 01:48 PM

My vote in this category is Fresno State. ASU had speed and Michigan didn't. Fresno State didn't have the talent on paper to even come close to winning and they did it. I'm sure Mr. C would even agree that Fresno State could win this as well.

My vote went to Fresno. That was an unbelievable run!!!

Big Al
July 1st, 2008, 02:23 PM

! Someone mark the calendar -- citdog is talking sense!

;D

bench
July 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Stiff competition, but I know where my vote would go xnodx :D

http://www.mujahideenryder.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/david-tyree-superbowl-42.jpg

Best nickname I've seen for this play: The Giant Snatch

UNHWildCats
July 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM
i dont know if it should win, cause I think a majority of those here actually thought App would win.

HiHiYikas
July 1st, 2008, 04:38 PM
I've been saying ASU would win the "best upset' ESPY since 9/2/2007.

I didn't realize that these were the 2007-2008 ESPYs. For some reason, I thought ESPY awards kept pretty strictly to the calendar year, and the Super Bowl and 2008 CWS weren't eligible until next year.

Stiff competition. The Giants over the Pats was a wonderful game, Fresno State's run was pretty amazing, too.

Whatever their records indicated, the Giants and Pats should have been more evenly matched than ASU and Michigan.

And it's true, college baseball has seen its share of unlikely victors. A few years ago, UNC-Asheville beat up on the U. of Florida in two out of three games, then lost a lead in the late innings of the third game. They were a few outs away from the sweep. It happens. It doesn't happen just like Fresno State, but it happens.

I gotta go with the upset that made the first page of the New York Times.

Retro
July 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM
How the hell can you compare a NASCAR driver to a real football or basketball athlete?

Because they are athletes too! Maybe the physical demands are not quite the same, but it takes just as much talent, focus and dedication to be the best.. A Race car driver also has to react a lot quicker than any other type of athlete and has no room for error..You get into a car drive 200 mph on a 45 degree banking with near constant turning with no a/c, no timeouts and see how you do?xrolleyesx

gophoenix
July 1st, 2008, 05:13 PM

Awww, sounds like someone needs to go to the App corner and have a group hug again.

ASUMountaineer
July 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
My vote went to Fresno. That was an unbelievable run!!!

Imagine that. Was a great run, but I like George Mason's run in the basketball tourney a few years back. Did you vote for Stephen Curry for the breakout athlete?

gophoenix
July 1st, 2008, 08:46 PM
Because they are athletes too! Maybe the physical demands are not quite the same, but it takes just as much talent, focus and dedication to be the best.. A Race car driver also has to react a lot quicker than any other type of athlete and has no room for error..You get into a car drive 200 mph on a 45 degree banking with near constant turning with no a/c, no timeouts and see how you do?xrolleyesx

Ditto. As an ex-pro rally driver I can say the demands aren't the same as in typical contact sports. But the demands are for longer, pretty much alone and constant for hours. You have to have incredible stamina and endurance, good strength to steer the cars, and constant focus. Plus, the risk of injury or death is much, much larger.

I still hate NASCAR though.

patssle
July 1st, 2008, 08:52 PM
but it takes just as much talent, focus and dedication to be the best..

Yeah? And I'm probably one of the top Call of Duty 4 gamers in the country. That takes talent, focus, and dedication to be the best... maybe the physical demands are not quite the same... but lets see you sit at a computer for 8 hours straight and finish top 3 every single game.

Nominate MEEEE for an ESPY!!

Syntax Error
July 2nd, 2008, 01:40 AM
Nominate MEEEE for an ESPY!!I'll nominate you! You do fantastic work. How about doing an AGS clip? xthumbsupx

Lionsrking
July 2nd, 2008, 03:12 AM
I've resisted clicking on this post until now...should have known better.

DLS
July 2nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
nascar falls right in with the baseball category "horrible sports to watch"

skill wise though only a handfull of people in the world would be able to drive in a nascar race and not kill themselves.

little different than call of duty

HiHiYikas
July 2nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
i dont know if it should win, cause I think a majority of those here actually thought App would win.
This is a good point.

I'd sure love to see Jerry Moore accepting an ESPY award. I'd love to see more accolades for Appalachian. What alumnus wouldn't want that for his school?

On the other hand, ASU over Michigan wasn't an upset, except in the skewed perspective of those who don't understand the quality of FCS football. Neither team was badly outmatched. Both teams held their own.

Here's the thing - the "E" in ESPN (and, by extension, ESPY) stands for "entertainment." It's telling that "entertainment" comes before "sports" in the acronym.

So, even though there's no way to deny that, technically speaking, Fresno State's CWS run should be the winner, you have to ask yourself which of these created the most buzz. Which was the most entertaining upset for the most people?

And that's a tough one.

biggie
July 2nd, 2008, 08:24 AM
Both PTI guys said it shouldn't be close and that App should win it, because in the nation's mind that should never happen, but it did.

Jim Rome picked the Gaints, but he's a douche.

Touchdown Yosef
July 2nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
If we win let Armanti and Jerry accept the award and start the heisman campaign right.

Syntax Error
July 2nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
If we win let Armanti and Jerry accept the award and start the heisman campaign right.Good point. xthumbsupx

biggie
July 2nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
If we win let Armanti and Jerry accept the award and start the heisman campaign right.
According to the article on Goasu.com, Jerry is the representative being sent to the ESPYs.

http://www.goasu.com/article/11995/