Gardner-Webb 7
Coastal Carolina 0

1:42 left in the 1st

lugo02
October 15th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Gardner-Webb 17 CCU 7 (Half)

JMU Duke Dog
October 15th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Coastal Carolina might be giving away its playoff chance today.

Coastal89
October 15th, 2005, 04:42 PM
17-14
12:55 3rd qt.

Coastal89
October 15th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Coastal Carolina might be giving away its playoff chance today.
Yes we could be sitting at home along with JMU.

JMU Duke Dog
October 15th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Yes we could be sitting at home along with JMU.

Yes especially if the JMU offense does not get its act together.

alexale23
October 15th, 2005, 05:13 PM
is this game on a radio stream online?

alexale23
October 15th, 2005, 05:17 PM
24-14 Coastal is going down today. I dont think they will comeback.

Coastal89
October 15th, 2005, 05:23 PM
24-21
14:45 4th qt

Tod
October 15th, 2005, 05:33 PM
24-14 Coastal is going down today. I dont think they will comeback.

You may have spoken a little too soon there, alex... :nod: ;)

Coastal89
October 15th, 2005, 05:38 PM
7:57 4th qt
CCU28
GWU24

Sly Fox
October 15th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I'm stunned at how this one has gone down. I'm not surprised by the comeback but by how big of a hole they dug themselves.

Coastal89
October 15th, 2005, 06:01 PM
6 TURNOVERS

Sly Fox
October 15th, 2005, 06:13 PM
31-28 G-W up in closing seconds.

Coastal89
October 15th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Josh Hoke 47yd fg with 0 on the clock. OT. GW gets the ball first and N. Roberts throws int on 3rd down.

alexale23
October 15th, 2005, 06:22 PM
can i listen to this game on the internet anywhere

Coastal89
October 15th, 2005, 06:24 PM
FG Hoke 34-31 Coastal wins!!!

alexale23
October 15th, 2005, 06:24 PM
can i get an update on whats up

alexale23
October 15th, 2005, 06:25 PM
coastal squeeks another one out

rokamortis
October 15th, 2005, 07:51 PM
I'm stunned at how this one has gone down. I'm not surprised by the comeback but by how big of a hole they dug themselves.

6 TURNOVERS

Yeah - our offense tried to give it away but our D kept us in it and the offense did enough to let Hoke tie and win it. But a win is a win.

chantman
October 15th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Coastal puts together two 90+ TD drives in the 4th quarter. Amazing.

windwalker
October 15th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Well... a win is a win...

'nuf said

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 06:16 AM

'nuf said

Even when it's over Garner-Webb. Of course the Furman defense had a fairly hard time stopping the G-W offense..with their second D, that is.

chantman
October 17th, 2005, 08:02 AM
I heard Coastal's radio guys say that Gardner-Webb's strength of schedule was the toughest in I-AA this year. Is this true?

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 08:47 AM
I heard Coastal's radio guys say that Gardner-Webb's strength of schedule was the toughest in I-AA this year. Is this true?

No.

It may be one of the toughest in regards to OOC I-AA competition but they started off with 2 NAIA schools. They may have been referring to the 3 game stretch that GDubb was playing. Furman, Hampton, and CCU - all ranked.

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 08:50 AM

'nuf said

you are kidding me right

if by some chance you guys lay another egg like in Boone, you have absolutely no chance of making the playoffs with performances like this

you should be blowing these teams out

Thumper250
October 17th, 2005, 08:53 AM
If Apps' A.D. will ever agree to a home and home with GWU, we'll see if the Mountaineers can blow them out. Arrogance.

I hear the Mounties are even afraid of a home and home with Coastal Carolina. Are you guys a I-A or something? Geez. WCU, Wofford and Furman are manly enough to go home and home with Big South schools ... what's wrong with App? Fraid you might slip up away from the friendly confines?

Geez.

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 08:55 AM
If Apps' A.D. will ever agree to a home and home with GWU, we'll see if the Mountaineers can blow them out. Arrogance.

I hear the Mounties are even afraid of a home and home with Coastal Carolina. Are you guys a I-A or something? Geez. WCU, Wofford and Furman are manly enough to go home and home with Big South schools ... what's wrong with App? Fraid you might slip up away from the friendly confines?

Geez.

I don't control who or where we play, but I do remember just a few weeks ago that we laid the smack down on Coastal, that should speak for itself.

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 09:16 AM
WCU, Wofford and Furman are manly enough to go home and home with Big South schools

You can add Georgia Southern (home-home with CCU starts in 2006) and Elon (home-home with CCU started in 2005) to the list as well. UTC played at Liberty as well this year.

SuperJon
October 17th, 2005, 10:01 AM
They're more about making money than playing football.

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Why the hell would we want to go bankrupt playing at Coastal and G-Webb?
Let's see. (Half of 23,000 X $20) in Boone vs half of (7,000 X $15)at Conway. Do the math. $230K vs $52.5K. A no brainer.

I don't imagine USC-Conway complained any when they put the check in the bank.

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Geez.

Ba-damn-loney.

ASU only plays 4 home games this year vs 7 on the road, including LSU and Kansas. Don't think that App is afraid of playing in front of 5K in Biling Springs if they're not afraid of 90,000 at LSU.

Last I checked ASU was 3-0 vs G dub, including 43-7 last time.

By that logic, guess we could say SoCal is arrogant and scared to come to Boone. :D :D

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 11:05 AM
You can add Georgia Southern (home-home with CCU starts in 2006) and Elon (home-home with CCU started in 2005) to the list as well. UTC played at Liberty as well this year.

App played at Liberty many times. And not when Liberty sucked like they do now.
Furman and Wofford make sense as intrastate rivalries. GSU is close, too.

Elon is just desperate. Figure if they had a tough time in the SoCon, they may as well try some of their old CCU mates.

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 11:19 AM

playing football is obviously not our problem, let me clear my throat, we throttled your ass, now shut up

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 11:51 AM
playing football is obviously not our problem, let me clear my throat, we throttled your ass, now shut up

Playing football? Wonder what the hell they think LSU is going to playing? Shuffleboard?

If we played enough pip squeaks at their low gate $ venues, the program would certainly suffer on the field. It takes $ to run the program and support our 20 or so other sports (something many programs don't even attempt to do well--except for maybe a baseball program).

Haven't heard Mars Hill , Chowan, etc saying we're cowards for not playing them over there.

ASU has to put fannies in the seats as we don't have a Hooter's guy to subsidize the program.

bodoyle
October 17th, 2005, 12:05 PM
We know how to play as well, and apparently better then you guys according to the latest polls.

14. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 5-1 1,300 15
15. Youngstown State Penguins (1) 6-1 1,273 17
16. Appalachian State Mountaineers 4-2 1,169 19

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 12:28 PM
We know how to play as well, and apparently better then you guys according to the latest polls.

is this guy kidding?

and way to throw yourself in the fire there big guy

and by the way, the AGS poll has App ranked 7 places ahead of coastal, so what does that tell you, absolutely nothing

Coastal89
October 17th, 2005, 12:38 PM
is this guy kidding?

and way to throw yourself in the fire there big guy

and by the way, the AGS poll has App ranked 7 places ahead of coastal, so what does that tell you, absolutely nothing
It tells me what i've always know, the AGS poll is the most biased poll of them all.

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 12:40 PM
It tells me what i've always know, the AGS poll is the most biased poll of them all.

and you determine this how exactly?

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 01:05 PM
and you determine this how exactly?

Now its suddenly biased. It wasn't the other week when the Chants fans were using it comparing ASU and CCU. :rolleyes:

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 01:07 PM

If Coastal had put a copy of that poll with 28 more points the other week, they might have beaten App.

bodoyle
October 17th, 2005, 01:19 PM
App, go tell someone who cares....how about your buddy Coulson?

And throwing myself into the fire? I've been posting, just not on this site.

The AGS, USA TODAY, i-aa.org polls tell me one thing, there are too damn many polls out there!! :D

Saint3333
October 17th, 2005, 01:27 PM
What a waste of time discussing ASU and CCU. No one has to look at any poll to see who's the better team. 30-3 says more than any poll ever will.

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 01:28 PM
What a waste of time discussing ASU and CCU. No one has to look at any poll to see who's the better team. 30-3 says more than any poll ever will.

AMEN brotha!

Coastal89
October 17th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Yep, and all the posts about it by Appy fans clearly shows which fans are the more classless.

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Yep, and all the posts about it by Appy fans clearly shows which fans are the more classless.

ahem, news flash

pointing out that fact that you got waxed in boone is not classless

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 01:49 PM
ahem, news flash

pointing out that fact that you got waxed in boone is not classless

You guys beat the crap out of us - no question. I'm just glad GSU, while not as bad, had gotten beaten in a similar fashion.

Thumper250
October 17th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Comparing ASU to any I-A program is insane. More ignorance than insanity.

The fact that you play two I-A games is great for fundraising. Chalk up two losses a year though, because ASU isn't what ASU used to be. You lose recruits to Coastal, according to Coastal. Get your stinkin' hoops squad to play four or five guarantee games and help shoulder the burden.

I think the only sport the Mounties have beaten GWU in since the move to I-AA by Gardner-Webb is men's hoops, and the sissies canceled that series after getting drilled by a 9-20 GWU team in Boiling Springs and splitting the four game series.

Football's the lone sport you guys are good in, and you may get a decent seed in the playoffs this year. Funny that Furman, Wofford, WCU, Georgia Southern and the rest of the league don't share your unabashed and worrisome arrogance.

At least your baseball squad isn't frightened to venture two hours south to Boiling Springs, although an 0-10 or 0-12 (I've lost count) record against G-W since they started playing at the DI level. But they do have an Appy State grad as head coach at G-W, so maybe that's why ;). Word on the street is that he turned down a chance to go back to his alma mater the place was in such awful shape.

Western by two touchdowns when you play later this year, by the way. Since all your good players will be holding ice bags after playing an SEC contender in November. How dumb is that?

CCU2003
October 17th, 2005, 02:04 PM
To all Chanticleer fans, when dealing with App fans you must realize where they are all coming from. They brag about their long and storied football history, which no one discounts, you played football for a long time and won your fair share of games. Since Coastal became independent from USC in 1993, App State has compiled a playoff record of 6-7 never making it further than the semifinals (and only making it there once). So here comes CCU, independent University in ’93, starts football in 2003 and by 2005 outranking the Mountaineers in every major poll. Who could blame them for being upset at the most recent developments to their reality? And to add gas on the fire, here CCU wants to join their conference? They are disturbed at how a startup program from Myrtle Beach can in three years demand the same respect that their long and storied program can muster up after decades of not winning it all. You read posts from other fans and they are all still skeptical of our team and our program, as most of us CCU fans are as well. But it’s the folks up in Boone that sit back and throw temper tantrums when CCU gets a little respect from the I-AA establishment. App you beat us soundly at your place this year, but what I see and read on this board is your frustration with what will inevitably be CCU taking its place along side other great I-AA programs year in and year out, and playing the most pure form of football in the NCAA.

bodoyle
October 17th, 2005, 02:12 PM
But CCU they will be going 1a....just like they said for the past 15 years. :p

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 02:13 PM
To all Chanticleer fans, when dealing with App fans you must realize where they are all coming from. They brag about their long and storied football history, which no one discounts, you played football for a long time and won your fair share of games. Since Coastal became independent from USC in 1993, App State has compiled a playoff record of 6-7 never making it further than the semifinals (and only making it there once). So here comes CCU, independent University in ’93, starts football in 2003 and by 2005 outranking the Mountaineers in every major poll. Who could blame them for being upset at the most recent developments to their reality? And to add gas on the fire, here CCU wants to join their conference? They are disturbed at how a startup program from Myrtle Beach can in three years demand the same respect that their long and storied program can muster up after decades of not winning it all. You read posts from other fans and they are all still skeptical of our team and our program, as most of us CCU fans are as well. But it’s the folks up in Boone that sit back and throw temper tantrums when CCU gets a little respect from the I-AA establishment. App you beat us soundly at your place this year, but what I see and read on this board is your frustration with what will inevitably be CCU taking its place along side other great I-AA programs year in and year out, and playing the most pure form of football in the NCAA.

this just makes me laugh...

Thumper250
October 17th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I still think if CCU ran the spread they'd be better. With such a good defense, you can afford to take more risks on offense. The reason you've got close games sometimes is because the offense lacks any sort of consistent explosion.

And its easier to recruit QBs and WRs than good OL and RB at the I-AA level. Just a thought.

They'd be more fun to watch as well. That game, other than the end of game excitement Saturday, was boring to watch when Coastal had the ball. No imagination.

Thumper250
October 17th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I also think that a startup program can only be properly judged in season #5 or #6. I'll use FAU as an example, even though they've left our ranks on the I-AA level.

FAU
year one - average to bad (5-6 I think, maybe 4-7)
year two - overscheduled badly (4-7)
year three - powerhouse, advanced to I-AA semifinals
year four - posted a 7-4 record against I-A schedule
year five - well, the seniors have graduated and 'twas tough to recruit with not many slots
opening up (very few graduates until year four). They are, indeed, struggling, and would even if they were playing I-AA still.
year six - who knows.

CCU
year one - average (6-5 with losses to Jax, Morehead State and the like)
year two - ahead of schedule at 10-1, but with very few I-AA scholarship wins at all
year three - well, they're good. Likely not top-15 good, but good regardless
year four - they'll be plenty good again, and this is likely a playoff season if 05 isn't
year five - the bulk of the program's base is gone. Hope like heck the pups can play.
year six - who knows.

Start a program and keep a group of guys together for three or four years, and you should spank most folks you play. Particularly if you fund the program properly, which Coastal has.

Its much, much easier to start a program from scratch than it is to fix one. Appalachian needs to fix its program to get back to the power days of the 1980s.

bodoyle
October 17th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Thump: I agree that we can take more risks because of our defense is damn good. I think that we need to throw the ball more, mix it up, keep the d off balance like we did against JMU then we will be more fun to watch.

You are also correct that after the original class graduatesit will be interesting to see what happens. With the instate games against SC St it should help get quality recruits, and hopefully there will be no drop in productivity.

App Guy: That was one helluva response

Lapper
October 17th, 2005, 05:57 PM

Good reply 2003. :nod:

I have to admit that Coastal being ahead of ASU in the polls is sorta ...weird, but that's how the cookie crumbles. Got milk? What would REALLY make me giddy is if APPY lost one or two more games and couldn't get into the playoffs while Coastal (hopefully) runs through the rest of its season with no problems. Hey, a man can wish can't he.

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 07:06 PM
this just makes me laugh...

ASU has a chance to prove how good they are for the rest of the season. How the h*ll CCU can prove anything while playing teams like Manfred..er..Mansfield is way beyond me.
Update on Mansfield. Since losing to West Chester Saturday, they have now given up 155 points in two games vs other DIVISION II :confused: :confused: teams. WTH is that??

CCU2003
October 17th, 2005, 07:23 PM
ASU has a chance to prove how good they are for the rest of the season. How the h*ll CCU can prove anything while playing teams like Manfred..er..Mansfield is way beyond me.
Update on Mansfield. Since losing to West Chester Saturday, they have now given up 155 points in two games vs other DIVISION II :confused: :confused: teams. WTH is that??

Who said anything about Coastal proving anything? Coastal did what they had to with the first half of their schedule? They made a considerable step up in out of conference play (compared to the last two seasons) and survived with a 4-1 record. Now its on to the Big South which nobody has ever stated to be more than it is; and Mansfield who was a mistake but good lord, look at it from CCU’s standpoint, lets say the first five games didn’t go so well? We probably could have used a W ? No? Give us a darn break, we’re not the ones on here claiming to be all high and mighty, whining about how were under ranked or overlooked. If you give us a few votes thanks, and if we sneak in the playoffs, great. END OF STORY!

youwouldno
October 17th, 2005, 07:25 PM
I'd like CCU to make the playoffs. Likely first round visitor to Greenville... and an early exit for the Chants.

CCU2003
October 17th, 2005, 07:44 PM
I’d love to go to Greenville for the first round, and if it was an early exit, which it very well could be, then we would just chalk up ANOTHER program milestone and move on to Chanticleer Football 2006. :cool:

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Right now - I'd be happy with winning at Liberty - preferrebly in a convincing fashion.

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Who said anything about Coastal proving anything? Coastal did what they had to with the first half of their schedule? They made a considerable step up in out of conference play (compared to the last two seasons) and survived with a 4-1 record. Now its on to the Big South which nobody has ever stated to be more than it is; and Mansfield who was a mistake but good lord, look at it from CCU’s standpoint, lets say the first five games didn’t go so well? We probably could have used a W ? No? Give us a darn break, we’re not the ones on here claiming to be all high and mighty, whining about how were under ranked or overlooked. If you give us a few votes thanks, and if we sneak in the playoffs, great. END OF STORY!

1. "prove to the selection committee" is of course what I meant.
2. Many posters have tried to imply that CCU's program has already matched and even surpassed ASU and others. It may have. There's just no evidence yet to substantiate that. In fact, one bit to the contrary.
3. Most CCU fans, not you as i recall, seem to think the strength of schedule matters little. A 9-2 is a 9-2 and it would be logical to count it better to the selection committee than a 7-4 vs SoCon and I-A's and "that's what you get for scheduling money games."

Actually scheduling Mansfield matters none (except that's one less opportunity to lose to anyone else) since as a D-II, Mansfield won't count anyway. To the committee, CCU will likely be 9-1.

CCU could not help much or most of their schedule, but when some fans hold it up to be as legit a comparison as the many many stronger I-AA teams' schedules is not logical and a slap in the face to those who intentionally play a challenging schedule..

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 08:02 PM
I’d love to go to Greenville for the first round, and if it was an early exit, which it very well could be, then we would just chalk up ANOTHER program milestone and move on to Chanticleer Football 2006. :cool:

If CCU were to play Furman close for 4 quarters (or of course win) it would certainly be a proven accomplishment for a young program.
If they should get really pasted, it would bring suspicion to the validity of the selection process given many folks' opinion of the schedule.

Saint3333
October 17th, 2005, 08:02 PM
If Hampton beats SC State and JMU stubbles a couple of times in the A-10 CCU will likely be sitting at home. Your playoff spot isn't a done deal... and neither is ASU's or any other teams. There's a lot of football to be played.

CCU2003
October 17th, 2005, 08:11 PM
I-AA 2005

Well put, I understand all you said. The comparison to ASU has been on national rankings only (which we all know are flawed inside and out). I don’t think anyone at CCU would want to play a rematch with App State at Boone this year. Not even saying that if we played here the outcome would be drastically different? Maybe, maybe not. But coming from our 2004 10-1 campaign, we feel we have come a long way from dropping one to Newberry, to dropping one at App State. Again, if we get in we will all party and travel to see whatever happens to the Chants, wherever we end up. I for one just hope that we can win the remainder of our schedule and see what happens. And if it came down to the last slot in the playoffs going to App instead of CCU? I for one would support and understand 100%.

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 08:16 PM
If Hampton beats SC State and JMU stubbles a couple of times in the A-10 CCU will likely be sitting at home. Your playoff spot isn't a done deal... and neither is ASU's or any other teams. There's a lot of football to be played.

no doubt.

Thumper250
October 17th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Why does it seem everyone wants CCU to fail? It was the same song and dance with FAU back in 2003. Silly boys. The kids are pretty good. If they get the right draw, they'll make a nice little push into the playoffs.

If they're playing well, the turnovers don't come and they own the clock. The defense makes things happen and sets things up for the offense. Clutch kicker wins close games and a quarterback who seems to be much better when he's pressed down the stretch is a great formula.

The x factor is that the Thundering Beach Chickens believe in themselves. That's big.

They're getting in the playoffs, and will likely be ranked 9 or 10 by season's end. I wouldn't want to play them at Brooks in November. That place will be nuts. There's nothing for folks to do in MB when it turns cold friends. It'll be packed.

Is ASU playing CCU next season? If so, the Chants get their revenge. They'll be much better in 2K6.

rokamortis
October 17th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Is ASU playing CCU next season? If so, the Chants get their revenge. They'll be much better in 2K6.

Nope

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Why does it seem everyone wants CCU to fail? It was the same song and dance with FAU back in 2003. Silly boys. The kids are pretty good. If they get the right draw, they'll make a nice little push into the playoffs.

If they're playing well, the turnovers don't come and they own the clock. The defense makes things happen and sets things up for the offense. Clutch kicker wins close games and a quarterback who seems to be much better when he's pressed down the stretch is a great formula.

The x factor is that the Thundering Beach Chickens believe in themselves. That's big.

They're getting in the playoffs, and will likely be ranked 9 or 10 by season's end. I wouldn't want to play them at Brooks in November. That place will be nuts. There's nothing for folks to do in MB when it turns cold friends. It'll be packed.

Don't know of anyone who wants the Chicks to fail. Just realize they have made great strides (in fact very impressive strides) , but not zoomed past the established teams. Having 3 good teams on the schedule doesn't mean you can compare recordson an even up basis.

If they get in AND a good draw, the selection committe has been bought.